PDA

View Full Version : chi sox = marlins of 03?

soxfan2425
01-14-2004, 10:14 PM
now i am just as mad as the next sox fan about this offseason but sometimes it is the players chemistry and not their payroll or big name players.

Hey the marlins did it with a 54 million dollar payroll why cant we.

idseer
01-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by soxfan2425
now i am just as mad as the next sox fan about this offseason but sometimes it is the players chemistry and not their payroll or big name players.

because the odds are probably 1000 to one, if not worse.

npdempse
01-14-2004, 10:19 PM

Jerry? Is that you?

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-14-2004, 10:19 PM
a lot of the success came from minor league call ups like dontrelle willis and cabrera. Hopefully the sox have minor leaguers who'll make an impact if they get called up

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 10:20 PM
I would say more like the 98 Marlins.

doublem23
01-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I would say more like the 98 Marlins.

But we're not defending champs... of anything.

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm actually referring to the fact that they had so much potential in 97 like the sox did in 2003 (of course the marlins carried it through.) then lossing alot of pieces that made them non contenders the next year.

TornLabrum
01-14-2004, 11:07 PM
If everything falls into place just right, I'd say the '04 Sox have the potential of being the '62 Mets.

LoveTheSox
01-14-2004, 11:08 PM
How I wish we could be the next '03 marlins. I'm sure JR would find a way to squash that even if it did happen, but we can always hope, right?

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:26 PM
If the Sox pull a '03 Marlins (ha!), JR would find a way for the '04 Sox to have an '03 Devil Rays payroll.

CubKilla
01-14-2004, 11:33 PM

1.) We don't have a Beckett-type pitcher
2.) We don't have a lead-off hitter that can hit ML pitching
3.) We don't have future ML stars in our minors that would have the impact of Cabrera
4.) Crede doesn't have the pop of Lowell
5.) Harris is the anti-Castillo
6.) KW couldn't hold the jockey shorts of Florida's GM
7.) We have no closer
8.) We have no viable 4th or 5th starting pitchers
9.) Florida had McKeon

Need I go on?

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

3.) We don't have future ML stars in our minors that would have the impact of Cabrera
7.) We have no closer
9.) Florida had McKeon

Need I go on?

We have Ozzie! AND .. Jose Uribe!

npdempse
01-14-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by JDP
We have Ozzie!

Good point, Ozzie WAS a part of the Marlins org. last year. And I hear Frank Thomas likes swordfish steaks. The coincidences are uncanny! World Series here we come!
:whiner:

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Good point, Ozzie WAS a part of the Marlins org. last year. And I hear Frank Thomas likes swordfish steaks. The coincidences are uncanny! World Series here we come!
:whiner:

I have a feeling there has been nary a food Thomas has crossed pathes with and not liked.

hftrex
01-15-2004, 08:10 PM
We do have sufficient talent to ensure that the Sox should win at least 86 games just like in 2003. If not, then that's because Guillen is a poor manager and should be fired at the end of the 2004 season.

fquaye149
01-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
7.) We have no closer
9.) Florida had McKeon

Need I go on?

1. who would have thought that beckett would have been lights out when the season started? we have any number of pitchers who have the potential to elevate their game as beckett did.

2.granted...although who knows...and meanwhile they don't really have the power hitting we do....i know that hasn't won us anything...but it's tit for tat

3. reed? anderson? a deep pink joe borchard?

4. this is the worst of all your points. you're right, he doesn't have the pop of lowell....but juan encarnacion doesn't have the pop of magglio...and position for position we may very well have more pop (not catcher)...oh and lowell doesn't play as good defense as joe

5. nah....that's a bit extreme. yes, castillo is immensely better....but rob neyer wrote an article examining how juan pierre and luis castillo's contributions didn't help florida as much as you'd think.

6. couldn't he? what moves did florida make besides not trading lowell and signing urbina? do you even know their gm's name? or is he just florida's GM? i don't know the answer to any of these questions personally...but i would be interested to know.

7. they didn't either till they picked up urbina. couldn't we make a similar move at the break?

8. their 4th and 5th weren't great either

9. very true. time will tell with ozzie....who knew tony peņa was going to be good this time last year?

Hangar18
01-16-2004, 07:52 AM
Last year, we were supposed be the 02 Angels

jabrch
01-16-2004, 08:24 AM

Simply, A) of the Marlins 54mm payroll, none of it was wasted and B) the Marlins had one of the top young (cheap) pitching staffs in MLB.

We have 20mm wasted on three players who we don't expect to perform to their salary levels - so it would be impossible to compete at a championship level.

jabrch
01-16-2004, 08:26 AM
I think we have a better chance of being the 03 Mets than the 03 Marlins.

Jerko
01-16-2004, 10:12 AM
We COULD have been the 03 Marlins if the 03 White Sox would have done what the 03 Marlins did and fired an inept manager while there was still talent on the team.

CubKilla
01-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
We COULD have been the 03 Marlins if the 03 White Sox would have done what the 03 Marlins did and fired an inept manager while there was still talent on the team.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

OEO Magglio
01-16-2004, 10:32 AM
5. nah....that's a bit extreme. yes, castillo is immensely better....but rob neyer wrote an article examining how juan pierre and luis castillo's contributions didn't help florida as much as you'd think.
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, if you take Pierre and Castillo out of 1-2 slots in the batting order, Florida isn't anywhere near a playoff team.

JRIG
01-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, if you take Pierre and Castillo out of 1-2 slots in the batting order, Florida isn't anywhere near a playoff team.

That's a misrepresentation of what Rob what saying. If I remember correctly, the thrust of that column was that Castillo and Pierre's speed on the basepaths specifically was not as big of a factor as some believed.

I don't think Rob was trying to say Castillo and Pierre were not valuable to that team.

fquaye149
01-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
That's a misrepresentation of what Rob what saying. If I remember correctly, the thrust of that column was that Castillo and Pierre's speed on the basepaths specifically was not as big of a factor as some believed.

I don't think Rob was trying to say Castillo and Pierre were not valuable to that team.

actually that's not really the case. what the article claimed is that while many people credited pierre and castillo with being instrumental in the w.s. victory, they really only made significant contributions in one of the seven games...