PDA

View Full Version : Rising / Declining Player Stocks

JDP
01-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Sox players' stock on the rise:
1B/OF Ross Gload
Gload in the Mexican league this winter...
232 ABs, .328 BA, 12 HRs, 51 RBIs, only 28 K's

In a short Puerto Rican league stint to help his strike zone judgement and work on his OBP ...
Aaron Rowand
112 ABs, .250 BA, 6 HRs, 20 RBIs, 16/18 BB/K ratio

Attempting to crack the '04 rotation...
Felik Diaz: 1-0, 3.48 ERA in 7 apperances/4 starts, strikes out 18 in 31 IP and only allows 33 total baserunners.

Mexican league stand out and Rule-5 addition for the Sox also trying to crack the 5-man rotation...
Francisco Campos goes 10-2, 2.09 ERA in 90 1/3 IP, 68 K, 79 Hits

Sox players' stock on the decline:
C Miguel Olivo
After 22 ABs in the Dominican league to work out some kinks in his swing, Olivo gets sick and goes home for the winter.

Insisting on staying a switch-hitting...
Jose Valentin bats .115 in 52 left-handed exclusive ABs, saying he will continue to be a switch hitter in 2004.

JDP
01-14-2004, 09:52 PM
This is all in a new article is on www.whitesox.com btw.

Hangar18
01-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks for those stats. Interesting

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 10:01 PM
I would hardly say Olivo's stock is declining. Viral pneumonia was hardly his fault and had nothing to do with baseball and the 22 at bats are not a very good read on how a players stock is.

What I would keep in mind is that there were alot of rainout games in all of the winter leagues. So I'm sure alot of players were unable to get into a groove because of the constant stops in play.

Daver
01-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Winter league stats are the next best thing to absolutely worthless.

Basing anything on those stats compares to basing stats on a big league ballplayer hitting off a freshman pitcher in college.Even the bad stats are below consideration,based on the fact that a lot of the players are down there playing for the hell of it and making no attempt to play hard and risk injury.

For the most part all of these players would be better off taking on a training regimen in the offseason,instead of collecting the few bucks they get playing winterball.

doublem23
01-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Valentin has to stop pretending he's a switch hitter. He's brutal.

JDP
01-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Winter league stats are the next best thing to absolutely worthless.

Basing anything on those stats compares to basing stats on a big league ballplayer hitting off a freshman pitcher in college.Even the bad stats are below consideration,based on the fact that a lot of the players are down there playing for the hell of it and making no attempt to play hard and risk injury.

For the most part all of these players would be better off taking on a training regimen in the offseason,instead of collecting the few bucks they get playing winterball.

Sorry always-right one Daver.

soxfan2425
01-14-2004, 10:52 PM
i would jump all over willie harris now that he is hopefully going to get the chance to prove himself and not be expected to be great right away.

kittle42
01-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Let me say again:

Ross Gload ==Crash Davis

JDP
01-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by soxfan2425
i would jump all over willie harris now that he is hopefully going to get the chance to prove himself and not be expected to be great right away.

Business wise or personally speaking?

hold2dibber
01-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Valentin has to stop pretending he's a switch hitter. He's brutal.

I don't think it's switch hitting per se, I think it's just that he can't hit lefties. If he gets 50 ABs against lefties this year, Ozzie isn't doing his job. Of course, the Sox alternative now is Uribe, and he can't hit lefties or righties. The loss of Graffinino was a real kick in the groin (one of many this off season).

Maximo
01-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by soxfan2425

I would like to get at least somewhat excited about Willie Harris......I really would. But why is it that every time I hear the mention of his name all I can think about is the time Gamboa was getting pummeled by those two idiots and Harris was the first and closest guy to em.......he did nothing. This is a "grinder"?

hold2dibber
01-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
I would like to get at least somewhat excited about Willie Harris......I really would. But why is it that every time I hear the mention of his name all I can think about is the time Gamboa was getting pummeled by those two idiots and Harris was the first and closest guy to em.......he did nothing. This is a "grinder"?

I think that's a ridiculous thing to judge someone on. If he hit .280 with a .340 OBP, I'm pretty sure you'd forget about his "role" in that incident. Unfortunately, he'll probably hit .205 with a .265 OBP.

Maximo
01-15-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think that's a ridiculous thing to judge someone on. If he hit .280 with a .340 OBP, I'm pretty sure you'd forget about his "role" in that incident. Unfortunately, he'll probably hit .205 with a .265 OBP.

Maybe so...but if he would have at least showed some attempt to help that guy out of that mess......I could find it easier to take the .205 and .265 OBP.

Iwritecode
01-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Maximo

Did you see the replays on that?

When Harris looked over to see what was going on, the entire Royals bench was already halfway there. There was no way he was going to get in that mess with 20 guys charging at him...