PDA

View Full Version : Lots of pitchers for Dirt Cheap.

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 08:36 PM
You know I was going over all the free agent pitchers and noticed there are some that you could sign to minor league deals that could turn out good.

Robert Person, Ryan Dempster, Glendon Rusch, and (don't get to uppity about this one) Todd Ritchie could all probably be obtained for Minor League contracts.

Pedro Astacio, John Burkett , and Garret Stephenson are all players that I would think are borderline Minor league contract players, though all of them probably want a garanteed major league contract.

Now Todd Ritchie probably feels a little bad blood with the sox management and did suck the last 2 years. The rest of the players are either coming off of long layovers from injuries, getting ready to become injured, or just plain suck. However signing a few of them to minor league deals would not bother me. The likelihood of any of them being Estabans is very low, but for a price of a minor league contract I think signing 2 or 3 is a good idea.

Daver
01-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Whoa,long time no see.

We thought you got abducted by aliens.

The Sox signed Robert Person yesterday.

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Sorry been working alot of OT, besides this is the best time to come and talk about all the rumors.

I didn't see anything about person being signed anyone got a link?

Daver
01-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Sorry been working alot of OT, besides this is the best time to come and talk about all the rumors.

I didn't see anything about person being signed anyone got a link?

Here you go. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28288)

jamteh
01-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Todd Ritchie? Just the thought sends shivers down my spine.

RKMeibalane
01-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Todd Ritchie?

In a word, "no."

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Like I said minor league contract. I was not a big fan of todd ritchie when he was here. But I don't think a 500k minor league contract would hurt.

I was also looking at Damian moss, but I think there are a few teams that are going to give him a decent contract.

jamteh
01-14-2004, 08:52 PM
I still don't understand something. If we could "afford" to throw all that money at Bartolo--no matter how much of it was defered--why can't we send some to Mr. Maddux? The roster hasn't changed at all, and you can't tell me the White Sox would sign someone contingent on making trades. The Sox do things too methodically for that. They would make the trades and then sign the FA. There's some money stashed away in the piggy bank somewhere.

SouthSideHitman
01-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Signing Ritchie would be a terrible move. It says to the fans, we're cheap and stupid - and not just the first time around. Brewers rejects isn't the way to get to the playoffs. Dempster would be a decent sign though, he showed some real protection and as it stands we just need a few more arms for the pen period. Plus we need serious depth. Given our current staff, I keep having '01 flashbacks and screaming. We've been pretty lucky in terms of injuries these past two years and we need to have a backup for when that rare Sox good luck streak ends.

Daver
01-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
We've been pretty lucky in terms of injuries these past two years and we need to have a backup for when that rare Sox good luck streak ends.

Actually the Sox had an impecable rate of keeping their pitchers healthy,until Nardi Contreas was hired,it went into the dumpster after that,and returned to form when he was reassigned.

rmusacch
01-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Whoa,long time no see.

We thought you got abducted by aliens.

The Sox signed Robert Person yesterday.

I have not seen that confirmed anywhere. The only place I have even seen mention about it is here. It is not on the Sox site, Rotoworld.com which pretty much has every rumor still has not said anything about it.

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm against signing Maddox. I don't Think he's worth the money he'd want or the length of the deal.

I really see him as a 5 inning pitcher now, I'm also not so sure how he'd fair in the American League.

On top of that I thought he said he'd never pitch for a AL team. What it comes down to is I would never give him a 2 year deal and for him to sign a one year deal you would probably have to offer him 10-12 million dollar deal.

But I'm not a GM so what do I know right.

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 09:21 PM
They will need Esteban Loaiza to repeat his 21-win season, Robert Person to come back from elbow reconstruction and lefty Scott Schoeneweis to make the transition from reliever to starter.

link (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2004-01-13-albeat_x.htm)

MRKARNO
01-14-2004, 09:40 PM
My list of whom I'd offer a minor league contract:

Rick Reed

Andy Ashby

Maybe we could get Damian Moss?

lowesox
01-14-2004, 11:11 PM
I'd love dempster. I don't know how healthy he his, but if there's one guy who could "esteban loaiza", it's him.

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:22 PM
If there's a guy who could walk 200 batters in modern-era baseball, it's him as well.

SluggersAway
01-15-2004, 05:05 AM
What about any of our young guys coming up?

Does anyone of them have enough variety of quality pitches to confuse hitters for half a season or more before they catch on?

Might work again...

Maximo
01-15-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Daver
Actually the Sox had an impecable rate of keeping their pitchers healthy,until Nardi Contreas was hired,it went into the dumpster after that,and returned to form when he was reassigned.

Nardi Contreras.......what in the heck was the thought process behind that hiring?

I like the thoughts of this thread. One thing that concerns me; however, is still the lack of who I would label a bona-fide "Ace".
Loaiza pitched his way into that role last year, but he certainly didn't go to spring training assuming it would be him.

What bothers me with Loaiza this year is not 'hitters catching up to him', but now thinking he has to be the Ace of the staff and changing his mind set to adapt to it.

PaleHoseRon
01-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Living in the land of cheese I get the "distinct" honor of attending several Brewer games per year. It may be painful to be a Chisox fan at times, but nothing compares to those poor Brewer Fans!

With that said, I have had several chances to see Glendon on the hill and he is BAD! No control, no velocity, no outs. I realize the only options right now for pitching are from the bottom rung of the ladder via free agency, but Glendon is somewhere far below that rung.

IMO the Sox need to work a trade before the season, or rely on what they have in the minors, hope that they are still in the mix mid-summer (which they should be given the makeup of the division), and then make an aquisition at that time.

But PLEASE do not sign someone like Glendon Rusch!

JRIG
01-15-2004, 09:01 AM
I've been touting Pedro Astacio as a low cost/high reward pick up for a long time. Other than his years in Colorado and a bad year when he was injured last year, he's been very effective.

jabrch
01-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
I've been touting Pedro Astacio as a low cost/high reward pick up for a long time. Other than his years in Colorado and a bad year when he was injured last year, he's been very effective.

he is extremely unhealthy right now. Just off of surgery, he likely isn't gonna be ready by opening day. I always liked him (pre-colorado) but I don't think he will be effective this year at all.

I'd take him as a non-roster invitee, but I wouldn't give him anything more than that.

jabrch
01-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Sign Todd Ritchie!!!!

Right after we dust off the Ribbie and Rhoobarb costumes - then we'd have use for Ritchie.

:R&R

Short of sititng on the back of a morotized vehicle in a stuffed costume with a big long schnozz, I have no use for Todd Ritchie.

:jaime
"I am available if you need a warm body."

:reinsy
"Did I hear someone say DIRT CHEAP?"

:KW
"I'll sign him to a 3 year deal at 5mm per!"

:hawk
"Mercy"

KingXerxes
01-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Did they really sign Robert Person and Mike Jackson or is somebody joking around? The age of those two combined is probably 80.

jeremyb1
01-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Dempster's a pitcher that will really test the ability of your pitching coach. That said, with his upside I'd love to give him a shot.

doctor30th
01-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Dempster had Tommy John surgery on aug 4th 2003. He won't be a factor this upcoming year.

ode to veeck
01-15-2004, 04:55 PM
wasn't ritchie the guy who went on the DL to avoid being the 1st 20 game loser in ~20 years, or am I just delirious with the nasty flu bug I've got.

voodoochile
01-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
wasn't ritchie the guy who went on the DL to avoid being the 1st 20 game loser in ~20 years, or am I just delirious with the nasty flu bug I've got.

The Sox pretty much forced him to and it then turned out he actually was injured, IIRC.

yadosoxfan
01-15-2004, 07:38 PM
I'd much rather see the Sox let some of the young players play before we sign the likes of Todd Ritchie or Rick Reed, hoping we can catch "lightning in a bottle." It's about time we see what Raunch can do at the major league level.