PDA

View Full Version : Go to the park this season

bigbombs23
01-14-2004, 06:44 PM
I know the off season has sucked but lets show up at the park this season, and even if your not happy about the team at least you can get an upper deck seat and yell at resinsdorf in his sky box, he'll hear you beliveve me i've done it. As for the team I really wish they would of kept colon. They still have a chance in the weak al central but i question their staff with garland showenweiss, and a young player as their 3 4 a and 5 starters. Who is going to step up in the bullpen with the departure of gordan and can willie harris bat more than his weight for a whole season. these are questions that will be answered this year.

ode to veeck
01-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Bigbombs23,

Welcome to WSI!

lowesox
01-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Screw that. Despite what Reinsdorf is saying, he's making big-time cash off this team. Why line his greedy little pockets even more. I'll show my allegiance from a far, without spending a cent.

kittle42
01-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Wow. JR sure has a lot of aliases on this site.

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:40 PM
How much are (and what is the availability of) the luxury boxes these days?

soxfan26
01-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Now this guy has GOT to be JR. He wants you to come to his upper deck, and he knows what the accoustics of the owners box are.

Can we throw feces from the upper deck and hit the owners box? That is the only thing that will make the plane ticket worth it this season.

CubKilla
01-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by JDP
How much are (and what is the availability of) the luxury boxes these days?

I can practically guarantee that there are going to be more than a few unused luxury boxes this season.....

:reinsy

"And it's all YOUR fault Sox fans!"

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2004, 12:47 AM
I bet in '83, '93, '94 and maybe '00 everyone probably thought JR was a genius.?. Or was he hated then too? For everyone who stops going to the games, there will be someone else to take your seat. New fans, business's and people get season tickets every year. So is this cycle never ending?

CubKilla
01-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
For everyone who stops going to the games, there will be someone else to take your seat. New fans, business's and people get season tickets every year.

For the Cubs

inta
01-15-2004, 07:00 AM
i see no reason to support this sox team.

keeping manuel last year and shooting ourselves in the foot because of it killed my last shards of support for reiney.

if guillen can pull off a miracle the first few weeks of the season, i'll change my mind... till then... bleh.

thepaulbowski
01-15-2004, 07:41 AM
For everyone who stops going to the games, there will be someone else to take your seat. New fans, business's and people get season tickets every year. So is this cycle never ending?

Whoever gets my seats can have them, I'm done with them.

FanOf14
01-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Unless they are better than I expect, I will probably got to my usual 3 games - 1 with mom, 1 with Brian (minimum is 1 and if his company renews their skybox, he was guaranteed at least one game's worth of tickets - 2) and 1 with the aunties (they seem to be able to get half price tickets fairly easily).

I will still watch them on TV (or listen on the radio, whatever is available). I will still wear my fall/spring Sox jacket and I continue to wear my winter Sox jacket. But, that is my limit (which is changeable depending on what the team does or if I can get my hands on more free tickets).

ewokpelts
01-15-2004, 08:59 AM
this team makes it real hard to renew....not only can i NOT afford the seats i had last year(cuz the bleachers are SO more popular than the upper deck....and on the weekends to boot!..thanks jerry)...but they have to be completely half a%% backwards when it comes to signing/dealing people.....mebbe i should just go to brewers games...
Gene

1951Campbell
01-15-2004, 09:13 AM
I don't care how evil JR is, I've had to be a long-distance fan since 1993, and it's hard. I haven't been to a game since 1993, but if I can tie a trip to the Cell into visiting friends in Chicago this summer, well, JR will have to get my money then.

Plus, I want to see all the improvements to the park.

kittle42
01-15-2004, 10:17 AM
For everyone who stops going to the games, there will be someone else to take your seat.

If this was true, we would never be having yet another discussion about poor attendance.

chisoxmike
01-15-2004, 10:48 AM
A part of what makes us Sox fans is that we don't tolerate losing like some other fans in this town do. We want winners and if they don't win to hell with 'em. This offseason and this upcoming season will show us what the White Sox are all about. So far, they have shown us that they are all about money, and not winning.

They came so close last season, and you would think after the Cubs making the playoffs and playing deep into them, the White Sox won't sit there and watch every other team get better, but they are. Hell, the Devil Rays have made news, and it looks like the Tigers will sign Pudge. (Although, they're still years away for losing less than 80 games.)

So, I'll be at the park. Opening day and on. Cheering on the team. I've been there since May of 1993 when my dad took me to my first game when I was nine.

Go White Sox.

Lip Man 1
01-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Hitman 77:

Uncle Jerry has been looked at, with the very least, an eye of suspicion since he took over the team in the Winter of 1981. His friend Eddie Einhorn used a poor choice of words during the press conference announcing the sale which insulted Bill Veeck and angered many fans. There has also been resentment of Reinsdorf from the very beginning because he is from New York and considered an outsider by many fans.

Bob Logan in his book Miracle On 35th Street discusses this in a chapter.

Reinsdorf himself knew from the very start that he was going to have a hard time as evidenced by this quote:

“Most people had wanted Edward DeBartolo to get the team and we didn’t get off on the best foot. People thought we’d be giving them more of the same–that we didn’t have enough capital. ” – Jerry Reinsdorf to Rob Gallas, reporter Arlington Heights Daily Herald printed in the 1982 Official White Sox Scorecard and Program.

I found the part in red particularly interesting since the perception is that the White Sox can't afford to be compeditive economically (self imposed of course...)

Lip

voodoochile
01-15-2004, 11:28 AM
It's interesting. The last time the Sox had a majorly bad off-season was actually during the season at the WFT. At that point in time, WSI and other Sox message boards were just a twinkle of a dream of an idea in the creator's eye.

The only real place to get sports news was to read the newspaper or listen to talk radio. You could only talk baseball with your friends, so the opinions you had access to were very limited and tended to be dominated by individual people (the sports writers, the talk show hosts, the friend who knew the most about baseball).

Now things have changed. There is constant access to tons of opinions from 1000's of fellow fans who read different papers, have different friends and listen to different shows. It is harder for JR to pull the wool over the public's eyes. When he cries poor and sits on his wallet all off-season while letting all of the high-end veteran FA talent from last season walk away, the fans know and can express their dismay and "tell two friends" about it.

JR's policy of deception and going cheap is no longer a secret. You can run, reinsy, but you can't hide...

:selljerry

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2004, 11:45 AM
I think attendance will always be an issue. Even out here in WA State, people ask "are you going to Wrigley Field when your back in Chicago" and stuff like that. If people want to see baseball in this city they go watch the scrubs. They have a way larger fan base, there aimed at the family and well, everyone except Pale Hose fans love them IMO. I have never been to Wrigley and don't want to go. The only place I like to see games is at Comiskey. I wonder if there are more Cardinal fans in Illinois than there are Sox fans? I know my grandfather and uncle are HUGE Cards fans in Bradley, IL.

maurice
01-15-2004, 11:47 AM
I cancelled my season tix because JR is not trying to win. I'll probably catch a few games at the Cell to check out the renovations and maybe make a couple of road trips, since Detroit was fun last year.

thepaulbowski
01-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by maurice
I cancelled my season tix because JR is not trying to win. I'll probably catch a few games at the Cell to check out the renovations and maybe make a couple of road trips, since Detroit was fun last year.

When you cancelled your season tix, did you already have a deposit down? If so, did they give you any flack? Just asking because I rolled my playoff ticket money over to this year and have decided against tickets (self-imposed budget). Thanks for your input.

Tekijawa
01-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Anyone know where reiney's box is? I think it would be sweet to go to every home game this year and hang a banner from the upperdeck and block the view of the game... Have it look legit from the outside, something like "Hangar rocks"," Steff for president" Or "we love Kenny"... and then have "You Stink" on the reverse facing the windows...

Frustration abounds!

maurice
01-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
When you cancelled your season tix, did you already have a deposit down?

No. I was unusually pessimistic from the outset.

steff
01-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Anyone know where reiney's box is? I think it would be sweet to go to every home game this year and hang a banner from the upperdeck and block the view of the game... Have it look legit from the outside, something like "Hangar rocks"," Steff for president" Or "we love Kenny"... and then have "You Stink" on the reverse facing the windows...

Frustration abounds!

YIKES!!! :o:

Please do NOT use my name. :D:

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

Frustration abounds!

Now that would be interesting and entertaining! :smile:

nasox
01-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Now that would be interesting and entertaining! :smile:

and impossible