PDA

View Full Version : My Concession to Sox Management. Sign Maddux, I will Renew my Season Tickets


Hangar18
01-14-2004, 12:54 PM
No questions Asked. Just do something. Sign someone worthy, that will help us and Get the Media and FanBase Talking

duke of dorwood
01-14-2004, 12:56 PM
You wouldn't be alone, I'm sure-if they did something bold like that=I'd get back in the ST game

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 12:58 PM
What if they removed 8 more rows in the upperdeck? Would you guys be interested in that? Now that's Fan Friendly!!!

Hangar18
01-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Let me Rephrase this Concession. Sign ANYONE BOLD, Something that Shows us Were Not Conceding 2004.
Show Us you want to Win. Do SOMETHING. Give me a hint,
so that I can get my season tix again. Im going to miss
alot of you at the games if the SOX continue this Foolish
Charade and Call My Bluff. Im already on record here, so I cant
Go Back on my Word. Hear that SOX MGMT ?? the lines
are Drawn already ........ I will look like a Chump if I go and
get season tickets Anyway, despite your running this season into the Ground. Do SOMETHING SO WE CAN BoTH SAVE FACE

Hondo
01-14-2004, 01:01 PM
I just it would have hoped it wouldn't come to signing Maddux.

Under your premise of making a move to show you mean business then why not make smart baseball moves?

Look at the contracts of Alomar, Everett, and Sullivan. Those combined would be nearly equal to what you'd have to pay to get Maddux. Possibly less.

I would have loved to see the Sox show some hutzpah(sp) and make a big run at Javier Vasquez. I think that kid is the truth.

Daniel

When KW says they are going back to the basics like scouting I hope he reads some Bill James first.

Baby Fisk
01-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Isn't signing Maddux a pipe dream? By that I mean Maddux wouldn't want to sign for the Sox. It's a wicked vicious circle, but I know what your sentiments are, Hangar. Maybe they thought signing POlitte would get everyone stoked! BOO-YAKA!

Hangar18
01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
This is Going to Turn Out to be A Classic, BattleShip facing Each Other, barrel to barrel, Troops Massing on the Border Stand-Off.
Will the SOX "Teach" Hangar18, the dumb fan that continues to Root For a Team that seems to Care every 10 years , A Lesson for Daring to Demand More From Them ? Or will Faith and GoodWill be Restored in the SOX Organization by them TRYING to Do Something to Win this Division this year? Before Opening Day ?

Baby Fisk
01-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This is Going to Turn Out to be A Classic, BattleShip facing Each Other, barrel to barrel, Troops Massing on the Border Stand-Off.
Will the SOX "Teach" me, the dumb fan, A Lesson for Daring to Demand More From Them ? Or will Faith and GoodWill be Restored in the SOX Organization by them TRYING to Do Something to Win this Division this year? Before Opening Day ?
After 23 years of JR, we all know the answer, don't we?

[long, tragic sigh.] :(:

It's hard, really hard being a Sox fan. I'd like to hope the organization will do something between now and Opening day (as they did last year with mildly positive results). What I find discouraging is the almost TOTAL, COMPLETE, DEAFENING SILENCE this off-season. It's only January, but it feels like the longest winter ever...

Bobby Thigpen
01-14-2004, 01:19 PM
You know this is something that has been discussed on here many times before. If things are so bad and your so depressed about being a Sox fan, then leave. This is a free country and you are free to root for whatever team you wish. I don't buy into this whole Sox "fandom disease" theory.

If you're so dang disappointed in the team and why they can't be more like the Cubs and sign everything under the sun, then go root up north. I'm sure they'd be glad to have you.

Hangar18
01-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
You know this is something that has been discussed on here many times before. If things are so bad and your so depressed about being a Sox fan, then leave. This is a free country and you are free to root for whatever team you wish. I don't buy into this whole Sox "fandom disease" theory.

If you're so dang disappointed in the team and why they can't be more like the Cubs and sign everything under the sun, then go root up north. I'm sure they'd be glad to have you.

Interesting Theory. I take it your OK with the Sox Moves
this OffSeason ? Or the lack of Moves isnt as bad as we think?
Anyone Agree with this theory?

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
You know this is something that has been discussed on here many times before. If things are so bad and your so depressed about being a Sox fan, then leave. This is a free country and you are free to root for whatever team you wish. I don't buy into this whole Sox "fandom disease" theory.

If you're so dang disappointed in the team and why they can't be more like the Cubs and sign everything under the sun, then go root up north. I'm sure they'd be glad to have you.

Bobby if that's what you think a FAN is then you're sadly mistaken! You don't just switch allegiances at a whim like half the city of Chicago did last year around October... I wouldn't switch to another team if they had 9 thirteen year-olds playing out there (don't get to excited yet Jerry) but I'd complain, yell, scream, burn things down, and make other thing bleed. But I sure as heck wouldn't buy any tickets either... Complain all you want but contrary to your belief Bobby being a fan allows you to criticize and complain... along with cheer and celebrate (although most likely not this year).

Hondo
01-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
You know this is something that has been discussed on here many times before. If things are so bad and your so depressed about being a Sox fan, then leave. This is a free country and you are free to root for whatever team you wish. I don't buy into this whole Sox "fandom disease" theory.

If you're so dang disappointed in the team and why they can't be more like the Cubs and sign everything under the sun, then go root up north. I'm sure they'd be glad to have you.

No offense but I think you are way off base. If you choose what teams you root for based on their decisions or success then what's the point of being a fan.

Being a die hard fan, like Hangar, is like being in love. If you could feel the same way about someone else because it was easier than you'd do it. It doesn't work that way though.

As for complaining I just don't see the harm in it. I mean being a fan doesn't mean having blind faith.

See Sox fans are villified for being smart. We don't drink the kool-aid and for that we're depicted as being babies.

It's about having some standards.

The "If you don't like it leave" motto really rubs me the wrong way.

But that's just my take

Daniel

anewman35
01-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Interesting Theory. I take it your OK with the Sox Moves
this OffSeason ? Or the lack of Moves isnt as bad as we think?
Anyone Agree with this theory?

I fully do. I think it's amazingly stupid to whine and whine and whine about how the team isn't doing anything and hasn't for 20 years or whatever. If you want a team that does that, go root for one. If you want to be a Sox fan, accept what they are. If you don't, that's your fault, not the fault of the Sox.

Foulke You
01-14-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm as disenchanted as the next Sox fan, and I keep telling myself I will stay away next year more often if they don't make any moves to improve the team. It's easy for me to say this when the weather is cold and there is snow on the ground but as soon as it starts to get warm and Spring Training begins, I start to get the baseball disease and I'll find myself at Comiskey Park in April, May, and June despite the bad taste this offseason has left in my mouth.

I am sympathetic to your cause Hangar and I can definitely say that I won't be going to a lot of games in August and September like I did last year if we fall out of contention. This team will have to prove itself to me to be contenders before I shell out money in the second half of the season. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt given the general weakness of our division.

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 01:36 PM
It's like a disease isn't it Foulke You? As much as I want to stay away, I will somehow end up back there... D'OH!

Bobby Thigpen
01-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey, I don't think that if you are a true fan that you should switch allegiances to whatever team is good that year either. But my point is that some people on this board keep making insane proclamations that if this or that doesn't get done that they are done with the Sox. My only suggestion is that if they are that unhappy with what the Sox have done that they would contemplate leaving that they may as well go ahead and leave. I am not a fan of bitching for bitching's sake as many people on this board are. In fact, bitching is one of the most annoying things in the world if you ask me. But if being a Sox fan makes you so miserable that it affects your everyday life, than I think you need help.

For the record, I'm neither overly happy, or displeased with this off season's activities. Really the only non action by the Sox that even surprises me is their not getting a starting pitcher. I would have liked another starter, but other than that I wouldn't say that this off season has been a surprise. If you think it is a surprise you have obviously not been paying attention to the Sox the last 20 years.

Baby Fisk
01-14-2004, 01:59 PM
I quit smoking, but I could never quit the Sox. That's why it hurts so much. That's why if there is ever a reward at the end, it will be Eternal Nirvana.

soxfan26
01-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Let me Rephrase this Concession. Sign ANYONE BOLD, Something that Shows us Were Not Conceding 2004.
Show Us you want to Win. Do SOMETHING. Give me a hint,
so that I can get my season tix again. Im going to miss
alot of you at the games if the SOX continue this Foolish
Charade and Call My Bluff. Im already on record here, so I cant
Go Back on my Word. Hear that SOX MGMT ?? the lines
are Drawn already ........ I will look like a Chump if I go and
get season tickets Anyway, despite your running this season into the Ground. Do SOMETHING SO WE CAN BoTH SAVE FACE

:smile: You make coming to this board everyday worth while, don't ever go away. :smile:

RKMeibalane
01-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
I fully do. I think it's amazingly stupid to whine and whine and whine about how the team isn't doing anything and hasn't for 20 years or whatever. If you want a team that does that, go root for one. If you want to be a Sox fan, accept what they are. If you don't, that's your fault, not the fault of the Sox.

Is that you, Jerry?

anewman35
01-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Is that you, Jerry?

Yes, yes it is. I admit it, I'm Jerry Reinsdorf. Are you all happy now?

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Yes, yes it is. I admit it, I'm Jerry Reinsdorf. Are you all happy now?

Nope now I'm even more depressed

:whiner:

doublem23
01-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Maddux is 11 wins away from 300 and running low on gas and he knows it. $50 million a season couldn't coax him into the AL.

voodoochile
01-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Yes, yes it is. I admit it, I'm Jerry Reinsdorf. Are you all happy now?

*** are you doing here? Get to work you lazy piece of crap. Your team is stagnating and the fanbase is dwindling and all you can do is sit here and defend the indefensibile? There has got to be something you can do rather than sit here and whine back at us about how none of us know the state of the team. All along, you've been saying that and now we know your lying. You know the state of the team just fine. So, prove it. Open your books to WSI and if you are actually in the straights you are in, I will personally defend you until there is no longer an Internet or George kicks my sorry brown nowsing ass off the site. Then I will start a new website calling for the disloyal, petty, cheap fans to start backing your poor, poor team so we can build you the winner you truly deserve.

The ball is in your court... :cool:

hftrex
01-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Hangar is the kind of Sox fan who after the Sox win the 2004 World Series in 7 games, would start complaining about how the team didn't win it in 4 straight games, how it proves that the Sox are just a bunch of slackers, that the manager is an idiot, the GM is a moron and the owner is just plain cheap. Then to top it all off, Hangar would start issuing more threats and ultimatums.


Hangar: What a character.

voodoochile
01-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
Hangar is the kind of Sox fan who after the Sox win the 2004 World Series in 7 games, would start complaining about how the team didn't win it in 4 straight games, how it proves that the Sox are just a bunch of slackers, that the manager is an idiot, the GM is a moron and the owner is just plain cheap. Then to top it all off, Hangar would start issuing more threats and ultimatums.


Hangar: What a character.

You've got it all wrong. If/when the Sox ever win a World Series, Hangar is going to be leading the cheers all over the city. He is a diehard fan and bleeds black and silver. He probably organized more get togethers this year on the Sox behalf (all over the city in various bars) than anyone else.

I also agree that this has been a damned depressing off-season and that there has been very little to be happy about except for the fact that we didn't totally tick off Magglio while throwing his name around in trade talks like Boston did to Nomar.

Why do you feel differently and why should anyone trust this ownership regime to build a champion? If they won't go for the gold, why should we give them any of ours (or at least why should be give them as much)?

CLR01
01-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You've got it all wrong. If/when the Sox ever win a World Series, Hangar is going to be leading the cheers all over the city. He is a diehard fan and bleeds black and silver. He probably organized more get togethers this year on the Sox behalf (all over the city in various bars) than anyone else.




Voodoo is right. Hangar would be fine with winning it in 7. Lip Man on the other hand....

ewokpelts
01-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
Hangar is the kind of Sox fan who after the Sox win the 2004 World Series in 7 games, would start complaining about how the team didn't win it in 4 straight games, how it proves that the Sox are just a bunch of slackers, that the manager is an idiot, the GM is a moron and the owner is just plain cheap. Then to top it all off, Hangar would start issuing more threats and ultimatums.


Hangar: What a character.

I dont know him personally, but I have a feeling Hanger will climb the sears tower and yell at the top of his lungs proclaiming the sox champions of the world...that, and mebbe some megadeth.....as for me, i'd probably break down and cry...and then get really drunk and climb on top of wrigley and taunt the cub fans....
Gene

doublem23
01-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
Voodoo is right. Hangar would be fine with winning it in 7. Lip Man on the other hand....

My thoughts exactly... :)

lowesox
01-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Forget Maddux.. here's my wishlist.

1) Damian Moss
2) Livan Hernandez
3) Mark McLemore

If the sox were for real, they'd go out and get all of these guys.

Brian26
01-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Maddux is 11 wins away from 300 and running low on gas and he knows it. $50 million a season couldn't coax him into the AL.

For cripes sake, Boras is his agent. There's not a chance in hell we'd be able to sign him anyway. It's a moot point.

JDP
01-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Forget Maddux.. here's my wishlist.

1) Damian Moss
2) Livan Hernandez
3) Mark McLemore

If the sox were for real, they'd go out and get all of these guys.

What'll that cost .. $7.0, tops? (Moss - $1, Hernandez $5, McLemore $1).
Probably not happening with KW and JR at the helm.

Hangar18
01-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by JDP
What'll that cost .. $7.0, tops? (Moss - $1, Hernandez $5, McLemore $1).
Probably not happening with KW and JR at the helm.

Lowesox brings up some Good Names out there still.
They Sign these guys before SoxFest, And Im a season
ticket holder in 2004.

npdempse
01-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Nothing really new to add except to say I'm in EXACTLY the same boat as Hangar 18. (Not the Maddux thing; he'll never play AL ball, but the thing about signing somebody worthy.) I may even call my ticket rep to say as much. I wasn't going to buy season tix this year because of declining cash flow, but I just got a new gig that pays, and I really want to buy the tix. But there's a snowball's chance of doing so unless they make some kind of signing, ANY signing that shows they have a commitment not to just roll the dice with a depleted roster next season.

doctor30th
01-14-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't think Livan Hernandez is available. He's not a free agent and he makes less than 5 mil so Montreal won't be trading him. Orlando Hernandez is a FA though, he could come pretty cheap. Moss is going to be more than 1 mil because other teams want him. But McLemore wouldn't be bad.

Realist
01-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
I dont know him personally, but I have a feeling Hanger will climb the sears tower and yell at the top of his lungs proclaiming the sox champions of the world...that, and mebbe some megadeth.....as for me, i'd probably break down and cry...and then get really drunk and climb on top of wrigley and taunt the cub fans....
Gene

Ohhhh.... be careful with that one. If the Sox win the World Series, I've vowed to burn down the Urinal in celebration. :D:

anewman35
01-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
Voodoo is right. Hangar would be fine with winning it in 7. Lip Man on the other hand....

Hanger would be happy to win in 7, but then he'd start blaming the vast media/Cubs conspiricy for making us lose those 3 games so we didn't sweep...

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:45 PM
If the Sox win it all this year, regardless of how many games it takes in a world series, $1,000 to everyone who posts on this board.

CubKilla
01-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
If you want to be a Sox fan, accept what they are.

I've already accepted the fact that the White Sox are crap..... through no fault of the players that don the uniform. Doesn't mean I have to like it or accept it.

Now go polish your pennies JR.

CubKilla
01-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by JDP
If the Sox win it all this year, regardless of how many games it takes in a world series, $1,000 to everyone who posts on this board.

For good measure, make sure you add that you're going to defer $999.00 for each poster for 100 years.

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:51 PM
That would be quite Sox-esque wouldn't it?

Nah, I have the flow for straight up, no deferrments.

StillMissOzzie
01-15-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by JDP
If the Sox win it all this year, regardless of how many games it takes in a world series, $1,000 to everyone who posts on this board.

With the odds you'd get in Vegas, about $100 now would win you enough cash to cover this offer!

SMO
:D:

Hangar18
01-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by JDP
If the Sox win it all this year, regardless of how many games it takes in a world series, $1,000 to everyone who posts on this board.

Ok JDP, your on. I bookmarked this :smile:

SSN721
01-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by JDP
If the Sox win it all this year, regardless of how many games it takes in a world series, $1,000 to everyone who posts on this board.

I definately want in on that. Is there a line in Vegas yet on the Sox taking it all?

FanOf14
01-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
I definately want in on that. Is there a line in Vegas yet on the Sox taking it all?

Ditto!

ewokpelts
01-15-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Realist
Ohhhh.... be careful with that one. If the Sox win the World Series, I've vowed to burn down the Urinal in celebration. :D: well...arsony can count as taunting...mayhaps i'll join you
Gene

soxwon
01-16-2004, 08:10 PM
its begining to look like greg maddux wont be a Cub.
i figured he would have said YES by now.
in time for flubfest- im sure he is considering higher pay with others?
the longer he waits the cubs chances diminish, dont you agree?