PDA

View Full Version : comparing the sox to twins, royals


habibharu
01-14-2004, 12:37 PM
i was bored and thought that i would match up the sox's main position players vs. the other two competitve teams in our division and see how we stack up.

royals-1b. sweeney vs. PK-royals.2b-relaford, harris-wash. ss. valentin,berroa-maybe sox slightly.3b-crede,randa-sox. OF juan gone,beltran, stairs vs lee,rowand,mags.-sox. C. santiago vs olivo. probably sox. DH hurt vs harvey, sox. SP runelvys,may,gobble,anderson,? vs. buehrle,loaiza,garland,schoenweis, ?. probably sox. CL macdougal vs koch, royals. BP sullivan,grimsley,leskanic vs wusch, wright,marte. royals.

twins-1b. mientkewitz vs PK, wash. 2B. rivas vs. harris. wash. SS. guzman, valentin. probably sox. 3b, koskie, crede.slightly twins. OF stewart,hunter,jones vs. rowand,mags,lee. considering defense as well as offense, probalbly a wash or slight edge sox. C. mauer vs. olivo. twins, benefit of the doubt. DH morneau, thomas, sox. SP santana,radke,mays,reed,lohse vs, buehrle,loaiza,garland,scho.,?. wash or slight edge twins. CL probably silva or nathan vs koch. wash. what do you guys think?

bennyw41
01-14-2004, 12:48 PM
I see plenty of glaring holes in your comparisons, but I just will point out a few, since i am sure many people will.

Joe Maur over Olivio? Mauer is a rookie, and although he is highly touted, he hasn't proven anything yet. Relaford and Rivas are both better than willie. I also think Koch is bad, but better than an unknown closer for the twins?

I don't get your idea of putting up these matchups, you just said most are slight edge or probably, you didn't really make a compelling argument either way....sorry

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 12:50 PM
I'd Also like to say that I would probabbly rather have Either Guzman or Berroa over Valentin any day of the week...

Hangar18
01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Team A OverAchieved last season, had very talented Core of Players, but had a few Glaring Holes in Roster.
Team in offseason has However Filled Most of their Holes Impressively

Team B OverAchieved also last season. Had very talented Core of Players, but had a few holes in roster.
Team in offseason lost 2 major pieces of puzzle, but signed a player, and have significant depth in minor leagues to possibly
Fill Holes in Roster

Team C Under Achieved Last Season. Had Very Talented Core o Players, and Added Players in stretch run. Team had minimal holes in roster, but in offseason, Let Team Dismantle Itself and now has MORE Holes than when it went into offseason. Team in offseason Has Not Only Let Talent Leave Team, but COMPOUNDED problem with NOT filling any of the Previous Holes in team. Team C has Downgraded significantly.

Team A will win the Division. We unfortuneately Root
for Team C

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 01:24 PM
You might get some arguements in your comparison of Crede to Randa...

ma-gaga
01-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
what do you guys think?

I wish you'd use capital letters or some sort of formatting to make reading your comparisons easier. And I'd like to see reasons for your judgements. Other than that, it was the best piece of analysis I've ever read.

TaylorStSox
01-14-2004, 02:54 PM
I like how you give the advantage to the Twins despite their catcher never playing a game in the ML. Good call. :?:

munchman33
01-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I'd Also like to say that I would probabbly rather have Either Guzman or Berroa over Valentin any day of the week...

I'll agree with Berroa over Valentin, but only because he's younger and cheaper with a ton of upside.

I'll take Jose over Guzman. At least Jose has power.

munchman33
01-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
You might get some arguements in your comparison of Crede to Randa...

Not from me. Randa's been on the decline for some time now (though still more than adequate), and Crede had a nice second half last year.

munchman33
01-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Team A OverAchieved last season, had very talented Core of Players, but had a few Glaring Holes in Roster.
Team in offseason has However Filled Most of their Holes Impressively

Team B OverAchieved also last season. Had very talented Core of Players, but had a few holes in roster.
Team in offseason lost 2 major pieces of puzzle, but signed a player, and have significant depth in minor leagues to possibly
Fill Holes in Roster

Team C Under Achieved Last Season. Had Very Talented Core o Players, and Added Players in stretch run. Team had minimal holes in roster, but in offseason, Let Team Dismantle Itself and now has MORE Holes than when it went into offseason. Team in offseason Has Not Only Let Talent Leave Team, but COMPOUNDED problem with NOT filling any of the Previous Holes in team. Team C has Downgraded significantly.

Team A will win the Division. We unfortuneately Root
for Team C

The most glaring hole the Royals had last season was that they had no real top level starting pitching. And I do not agree with you in your assertion that they have addressed this. They have a complete rotation, but it's made up of at best number 3 and 4 starters. Unless they pick up an ace, I don't see the royals finishing better than third.

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
Not from me. Randa's been on the decline for some time now (though still more than adequate), and Crede had a nice second half last year.

2003 #'s

Randa .291/.341/.436 15 HRs, 72 RBI

Crede .266/.307/.444 19 HRs. 75 RBI

Statistically, Randa is a better fielder also.

Randa's numbers last year were a little better than his career average but it wasn't exactly a career year. He may decline a little this year but I don't think he'll drop to Crede's numbers.

Crede is younger and still has potential to get better.

For this coming year, I'd give the Royals a slight advantage...

munchman33
01-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
2003 #'s

Randa .291/.341/.436 15 HRs, 72 RBI

Crede .266/.307/.444 19 HRs. 75 RBI

Statistically, Randa is a better fielder also.

Randa's numbers last year were a little better than his career average but it wasn't exactly a career year. He may decline a little this year but I don't think he'll drop to Crede's numbers.

Crede is younger and still has potential to get better.

For this coming year, I'd give the Royals a slight advantage...

Don't forget that in the first half of the year, Crede was doing worse than Konerko. He couldn't possibly be that bad again.