PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 1/ 14

Lip Man 1
01-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Angels owner Arte Moreno to the Los Angeles Times:

"I've got to live with my fans and writers.

It was in reference to the reaction he expects to get from fellow owners for spending money and trying to win.

Of course Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't have that problem....he doesn't spend and because he lives in Arizona he doesn't have to associate with his fans.

Lip

washington
01-14-2004, 10:26 AM
He's completely isolated himself from the fans and media, and apparently limited contact with team management and players. Which to me is a sign that he has a guilty consience. He just sits on his fat ass in his taxpayer-funded skybox like a pasha watching his team, without a clue of how to turn it into a champion.

Maximo
01-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Angels owner Arte Moreno to the Los Angeles Times:

"I've got to live with my fans and writers.

It was in reference to the reaction he expects to get from fellow owners for spending money and trying to win.

Of course Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't have that problem....he doesn't spend and because he lives in Arizona he doesn't have to associate with his fans.

Lip

Arte Moreno in 2004!!!!!

jshanahanjr
01-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Could Donald Trump be the next owner of the White Sox? He loves sports and has a new reality show. Maybe the apprentice will run the White Sox?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr
Could Donald Trump be the next owner of the White Sox? He loves sports and has a new reality show. Maybe the apprentice will run the White Sox?

Here's a thought. Trump buys the Sox and names his new downtown skycraper "Trump's White Sox Tower." Naturally it would dwarf Cubune Tower. The street level floor (right next to the Chicago River) would feature a Sox-themed restaurant named "Chicago Winners." The chefs would be top recruits from Trump's properties in New York and elsewhere. To all of the Midwest's tourists Harry Caray's becomes yesterday's newspapers

Trump would hold a press conference and publicly challenge George Steinbrenner and the Yankees for baseball supremacy of the entire universe. Trump begins lavishing money on his team, both on the field and off. He buys out U.S. Cellular and renames the ballpark "Trump's Baseball Palace of the World." He puts up a 300 foot scoreboard to replace Reinsdorf's tinkertoy, topped with 120 mm caliber howitzers that recoil with every rocket blast celebrating Sox dingers. It's easily the largest erection in all of sports. :cool:

The $200 million payroll White Sox win the 2005 World Series with steamrolling sweeps of every opponent. Trump sells the team for $600 million in 2007. PHG dies a happy man.

Mammoo
01-14-2004, 12:57 PM
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1959/0928_large.jpg

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Here's a thought. Trump buys the Sox and names his new downtown skycraper "Trump's White Sox Tower." Naturally it would dwarf Cubune Tower. The street level floor (right next to the Chicago River) would feature a Sox-themed restaurant named "Chicago Winners." The chefs would be top recruits from Trump's properties in New York and elsewhere. To all of the Midwest's tourists Harry Caray's becomes yesterday's newspapers

Trump would hold a press conference and publicly challenge George Steinbrenner and the Yankees for baseball supremacy of the entire universe. Trump begins lavishing money on his team, both on the field and off. He buys out U.S. Cellular and renames the ballpark "Trump's Baseball Palace of the World." He puts up a 300 foot scoreboard to replace Reinsdorf's tinkertoy, topped with 120 mm caliber howitzers that recoil with every rocket blast celebrating Sox dingers. It's easily the largest erection in all of sports. :cool:

The $200 million payroll White Sox win the 2005 World Series with steamrolling sweeps of every opponent. Trump sells the team for $600 million in 2007. PHG dies a happy man.

I guess putting that post deep pink would have been overkill huh?

It's a good dream though...

Maximo
01-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I guess putting that post deep pink would have been overkill huh?

It's a good dream though...

First attribute of a 'builder'....you gotta have a dream. That's an absolute must. I don't see any "keepers of the dream" on the Southside anymore.

WSox8404
01-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Donald Trump as owner? Does anyone believe in miracles?

Hangar18
01-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by washington
He's completely isolated himself from the fans and media, and apparently limited contact with team management and players. Which to me is a sign that he has a guilty consience. He just sits on his fat ass in his taxpayer-funded skybox like a pasha watching his team, without a clue of how to turn it into a champion.

I heard that he watches the games in a Skybox with one-way glass, and all kinds of tropical plants in there and wears nothing covering himself, but a giant Cloak in the shape of a "$" sign
and refuses to touch anything made of Cotton, the "cloth of the people"

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
and wears nothing covering himself, but a giant Cloak in the shape of a "$" sign

I heard it was a MOO MOO, but who's counting?

ode to veeck
01-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Here's a thought. Trump buys the Sox and names his new downtown skycraper "Trump's White Sox Tower."

Trump hires Joe Torre in April after King George fires him amidst a 3-15 start for the Yank-Mes. Torre later leads the Sox over the Yanks in game 7 of the ALCS by using his 5th starter as a pinch runner who scores on a suicide squeeze by Caballo with 2 out in the 12th inning ...

cornball
01-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr

Trump was on ESPN radio this morning and was asked if owning a sports team was a good investment.

He said well the money comes when you sell the team, that you dont make much money on operations. He went on to say he was looking at a team (wouldn't say which one or what sport) that he was looking or looked at a team that was for sale for $250 million.

Later he said he loved baseball and that the Angels did a great job signing Vlad for cheap and their other signings too.

Aren't the Sox worth about 250MM?

Daver
01-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Trump was on ESPN radio this morning and was asked if owning a sports team was a good investment.

He said well the money comes when you sell the team, that you dont make much money on operations. He went on to say he was looking at a team (wouldn't say which one or what sport) that he was looking or looked at a team that was for sale for $250 million.

Later he said he loved baseball and that the Angels did a great job signing Vlad for cheap and their other signings too.

Forbes values the franchise at 234 million.

ode to veeck
01-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Forbes values the franchise at 234 million.

Of course.

JR & co. would only sell if they'd found a sucker to pay more than its worth

cubhater
01-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by cornball

Here's a question I'd love to ask JR, "You bought the team for $20 million(?) and it's now worth over 10 times that amount. Isn't this a good time to SELL considering the dwindling fan base and negative local and national publicity?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by cubhater
Here's a question I'd love to ask JR, "You bought the team for $20 million(?) and it's now worth over 10 times that amount. Isn't this a good time to SELL considering the dwindling fan base and negative local and national publicity?

You have to look at it the way Reinsdorf looks at it. You see a $230 million profit if he sells. Reinsdorf sees $230 million he can only make if he sells, and to his way of thinking that ain't fair. This is precisely what he means when he says "the economics of baseball are screwed up."

:reinsy
"I should make $230 million year in and year out."

RKMeibalane
01-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Is there any way we can sue Reinsdorf for emotional distress and force him to sell?

jabrch
01-15-2004, 12:04 AM
If Trump were to buy this team, I would IMMEDIATELY go to the park to buy 4 season tickets - no doubt.

Mr. Chairman, I assume you read this board and will see this. You and your business practices are keeping me, a potentially high value customer, away from committing to a package worth about 6500. Do you think I am the only one? I wrote you a letter earlier this year and said that you asked Sox fans to come to the park last year. We came, over 2,000,000 of us, despite a team that often looked terrible early. We came, drank your beer, parked in your lots, bought your hotdogs, etc. And you said that if we came, you would be able to afford to spend money on the team going forward. Now that the season is long over, and the off-season is almost over, I ask you one question...

Mr. Reinsdorf, Why did you lie to me?

For this, Sir, I will never - and I swear NEVER, purchase season tickets to the Sox while you are still the owner. I will come to games - probably half price nights, a few other promotions. I will sneak in my own beer - or a flask of jack daniels. I will bring a sandwich, or eat before the game. I will take the "L". And I will still come to 15ish games - cuz I love the Sox.

But you have offended my sensibilities as a businessman, a customer and as a fan for the last time. I now look at you with the same level of respect as I do for Bill Wirtz and for the Wrigley's. I have given you almost 20 years of chances to prove me wrong. That's all. No more chances. Your only way to redeem yourself, in my eyes, is to win it all. No token signings, no single FA signing, not even an A-Rod acquisition - but winning it all.

CubKilla
01-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Is there any way we can sue Reinsdorf for emotional distress and force him to sell?

I'm sure there's a lawyer out there that can concoct a class-action suit for Sox fans. If an overweight man can sue McDonalds for never telling him that their food will make him fat.....

mikef1331
01-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I'm sure there's a lawyer out there that can concoct a class-action suit for Sox fans. If an overweight man can sue McDonalds for never telling him that their food will make him fat.....

I'm confident the fans would win that lawsuit. Nowhere on any ticket, season guide, game program or score card does it state that being a fan of the Chicago White Sox will cause emotional distress.