PDA

View Full Version : Oh ****!

doublem23
01-14-2004, 10:45 AM
As remarkable as it would be to see the Tigers go from 119 losses to division champs, we'll hope not.

Mutual interest between Rodriguez and Detroit? (http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/bbcol13_20040113.htm)

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
As remarkable as it would be to see the Tigers go from 119 losses to division champs, we'll hope not.

Mutual interest between Rodriguez and Detroit? (http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/bbcol13_20040113.htm)

He may make them a little more competitive but I don't think he'd put them over the top.

He must be getting desperate if he's interested in the Tigers...

soxfan26
01-14-2004, 10:53 AM

Unless he can pitch and catch, the most they can hope for is .500

doublem23
01-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
He may make them a little more competitive but I don't think he'd put them over the top.

Given the current state of the division, if the Tigers landed a bat/leader like IRod, I'd say it just turned into a 5-team tossup.

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 10:54 AM
I wonder how many season tickets they'll sell when we finish behind the tigers this year? Looks like it should be a three way battle for last place between us, the Indians and the Twins

Baby Fisk
01-14-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm starting to wonder about the lack of interest in Rodriguez around the majors. The guy just led a team to a WS. Shouldn't he be a hotter commodity? What am I missing here?!

soxfan26
01-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Given the current state of the division, if the Tigers landed a bat/leader like IRod, I'd say it just turned into a 5-team tossup.

That's a serious stretch. Their rotation does not stack up:

Johnson
Maroth
Cornejo
Bonderman
Robertson

This team was also near the bottom in run scoring.

I-Rod does not fix all these problems

Rex Hudler
01-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Just shows that sometimes it is all about the money!

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Just shows that sometimes it is all about the money!

And no one wants to deal with Boras...

thecell
01-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Unless he can pitch and catch, the most they can hope for is .500

.500? That's crazy. That team would need to make 38 game improvement to be at .500. That's a lot of games. I don't think one player can ever make that kind of impact on any team.

doublem23
01-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by thecell
.500? That's crazy. That team would need to make 38 game improvement to be at .500. That's a lot of games. I don't think one player can ever make that kind of impact on any team.

A yes, but you are forgetting the 19 games they get to play within the division. I'm not saying the Tigers are any good, but considering that the Twins and Sox both significantly downgraded and the Royals and Indians are no better than they were last year, you don't have to be stellar to win anything out here.

Deadguy
01-14-2004, 12:26 PM

Dmitri Young was the only worthwhile player on their entire roster last season. Unless I-Rod can add 100 runs scored, and subtract 100 runs allowed, avoiding 90 losses is a pipedream.

For those who think the Kittens have a chance of finishing with a better record than the White Sox, that is a feat they haven't accomplished since 1988.

thecell
01-14-2004, 01:55 PM
A yes, but you are forgetting the 19 games they get to play within the division. I'm not saying the Tigers are any good, but considering that the Twins and Sox both significantly downgraded and the Royals and Indians are no better than they were last year, you don't have to be stellar to win anything out here.

That being said, I still think a 38 game turnaround is impossible. IF it were to happen, it would probably be one of the biggest turnarounds in the history of the game...highly unlikely.

Their record last year was 43-119. 9-27 against the East, 6-26 against the West, 24-52 against the Central, and 4-14 against the NL. Let's say they improve a little in each category. They still have to come up with 38 more wins, almost doubling their 2003 win total.

The East will be just as tough, if not tougher than last year. Let's cut them some slack and say they go 13-23...that's 4 wins of the 38.

The West will be just as tough as well but let's say they improve against that division by 7 games and go 13-19...11 down, 27 to go.

The AL Central plays the NL East this year. Let's say they get hot and go 9-9 against then NL East. That's 5 games...16 down, 22 to go.

Division play...you say not to forget that they are playing a lesser talented Chicago and Minnesota team. OK, assume they play .500 ball against the division...again, highly unlikely...that puts them at 38-38 for the division...still 10 games shy of the .500 mark.

These estimates are very liberal and hope you can see how difficult it would be for a team that has hardly improved...even with an I-Rod addition...to improve even 20 games let alone 38.

The Flubs improved 21 games last year, but look at how many of their free agents made a positive impact and the pitching staff they had. I don't think I-Rod has the ability to turnaround a team that is that bad.