PDA

View Full Version : soxfest

chisoxfan79
01-13-2004, 11:16 PM
I am not going this year because I am sick and tired of Uncle Jerry's crap and I am not giving him anymore of my hard earned money. Although would like to go so I could ask Buerhle about what he said to my friend in a bar in St. Louis about how he is going to be a Cardinal

CubKilla
01-13-2004, 11:18 PM
You're not the only one.

soxnut
01-14-2004, 09:24 AM
You know, all this talk about "I'm not going to Soxfest" and "I'm not going to games"......because of blah blah blah......... doesn't seem to work anymore, it just doesn't. As a whole I think Sox fans have tried this "I'm not going" attitude in protest of cheapness, and where has it gotten anyone? Baseball is entertainment, of course winning baseball is more entertaining, but if I have the money to go, I'm going.

You can say that is so cubfan like, but guess what...they finally are acting like the organization they should be considering the attendance they get every year. And our organization is acting like the they should, considering the attendance we get every year.

Of course you can say they need to put out a better product, but it hasn't happened. I can understand not going as much, but so many people are so sour and it is a poor attitude to have over a form of entertainment If you love your team, you go, if you don't then don't go and do something else that you think will satisfy you in the same way that baseball does.

Jerko
01-14-2004, 09:31 AM
I go to the games because I like watching baseball and having a few cold ones with my buddies on nice summer evenings. That's why I go. I want the Sox to win every game, don't get me wrong, and it is more fun when they do win, but not going is just punishing yourself. If you enjoy going to Sox games I say keep going; a boycott is useless unless EVERYONE does it! No skin off his nose if there's only 10000 fans a game; that's less he has to pay for staff and security so he probably comes out even anyway no matter what the attendance is.

CubKilla
01-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I can understand not going as much, but so many people are so sour and it is a poor attitude to have over a form of entertainment If you love your team, you go, if you don't then don't go and do something else that you think will satisfy you in the same way that baseball does.

I love the White Sox. That's why I'm drawing my line in the sand and not going to any games besides the Home Opener this season..... and that visit is more to take in the renovations than the crap product courtesy of JR. It's a matter of principle for me. Sox fans have been jacked around for 20+ years by JR. I've had my share. No more.

I will support the White Sox players if the team is competitive and in first place come June or July. If not, JR will get none of my money. I'll use it to travel to Milwaukee, St. Louis, and maybe the East or West Coast to visit a few baseball stadiums in those areas because of my love for the game. But as far as JR and his antics go, enough is enough.

HITMEN OF 77
01-14-2004, 11:08 AM
I find it funny that people say -I'm not going to any games and JR isn't getting any of my money and so- But then they always say, well I'll be there opening day, the Scrubs series, a few other interleague games oh and of course when NY and Twins come to town. So what's the point? If you go to one game, it's just as bad as going to a lot.

CubKilla
01-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
If you go to one game, it's just as bad as going to a lot.

Not if you're a walk-up to 15-20 games a season who usually spends $50 every visit. I'm gonna try to get an Opening Day ticket for free. Should be plenty out there. I have a few friends that usually offer. I'm fairly confident I can get a free tic. If I can, that's strictly a bonus. Not to mention, I'll bring my own drinks :gulp:

doublem23
01-14-2004, 11:19 AM

Of course you can say they need to put out a better product, but it hasn't happened. I can understand not going as much, but so many people are so sour and it is a poor attitude to have over a form of entertainment If you love your team, you go, if you don't then don't go and do something else that you think will satisfy you in the same way that baseball does.

I can get just as much baseball satisfaction watching the Peoria Chiefs, Bradley Braves, Schaumburg Flyers, or Joliet Jackhammers. Plus, they might actually win.

Would you keep going to a bad restaurant in hopes that if the owner gets more money, he'll invest it in his place and served good food one day? That's just crazy.

gosox41
01-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I go to the games because I like watching baseball and having a few cold ones with my buddies on nice summer evenings. That's why I go. I want the Sox to win every game, don't get me wrong, and it is more fun when they do win, but not going is just punishing yourself. If you enjoy going to Sox games I say keep going; a boycott is useless unless EVERYONE does it! No skin off his nose if there's only 10000 fans a game; that's less he has to pay for staff and security so he probably comes out even anyway no matter what the attendance is.

JR definitely loses out if fans don't come. Drawing 40K a night verus 10K means a ton of money for the Sox, and hiring extra security, etc. is pennies compared to all the extra revenue.

Bob

depy48
01-14-2004, 05:54 PM
for me, i go to games because i believe that every game i'm at, i can make a difference and help the sox win. i get caught up in the game, and truly believe that in the end the sox will win. hey last year i was 9 for 9, every game i went to, they won. so, it'd be nice to pack comiskey with sox fans, but if not, they can still rely on me to go to the games.

gosox41
01-14-2004, 05:56 PM
You know, all this talk about "I'm not going to Soxfest" and "I'm not going to games"......because of blah blah blah......... doesn't seem to work anymore, it just doesn't. As a whole I think Sox fans have tried this "I'm not going" attitude in protest of cheapness, and where has it gotten anyone? Baseball is entertainment, of course winning baseball is more entertaining, but if I have the money to go, I'm going.

You can say that is so cubfan like, but guess what...they finally are acting like the organization they should be considering the attendance they get every year. And our organization is acting like the they should, considering the attendance we get every year.

I totally agree with Sox fans who are fed up with this team and not going to games. And I am a season ticket holder, but I can see their point of view. There's only so much disappointment a fan can take. I'm getting fed up. The Sox had a great chance to build off last season adn we get Politte and Uribe.

The fans who choose not to support this team deserve credit. If JR would take a chance and take on a little debt, then I'd be ripping on them. But things like the Ozzie Guillen hiring confirm that this organization has no idea how to build a winner.

I'm not going to Sox fest for this same reason. When I do go to games I make myself heard. I have no problem booing someone in a Sox uniform if I feel that's what needs to be done. I haven't gotten to the point of some SOx fans here who are completely frustrated and annoyed with the team, but I can see their POV and don't begrudge them a bit.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at the sports bar onFriday night. I saw alist of all those going. How many of them openly can't stand JR or KW or are dissatisfied with the lack of moves and the small market atmosphere, yet they're still goin to Sox Fest, opening day, or whatever.

It's these people JR banks on to maintain what little fan base he has left. They may complain, but when push comes to shove, they happily hand over their money to him.

Bob

Hosey22
01-14-2004, 06:14 PM
I really wish I could boycott the Sox. I have been sorely disappointed by this organization many times in my life already, and i won't turn 20 until later this year. I am so sick of dealin with the heartbreak and those season's where we get oh so close, but then something comes along to screw us over. Any normal person would've given up by now, but Sox fans are far from normal. ALL of this crap we have to deal with, Reinsdorf, Williams, the rumors about us having a Bad Ballpark, the cubs, everything pisses me off to no extent. But that's what i believe makes Sox fans the best fans out there. The die-hards, who put up with this crap all of their lives, and get nothing more than a couple of playoff appearences deserve much more. And the ones who stick by the team are the ones who will deserve it more than anyone if/when a world series victory ever comes here.

As much as i'd like to walk away from the organization and teach them a lesson, i can't. Something draws me back every time i get pissed off. I always have some glitter of hope that things will go right, although they never do. That's why even if KW trades maggs tomorrow for a ****load of second tier propects and we get no pitching, i'll still go to sox games this summer. It's in my blood. And i know that there are others here that feel the same way. All we can do, is sit, and wait, and hope that maybe everything will go right one of these years. I mean hell, we've made some big moves that last few seasons and gotten nothing out of them. So who knows, we make no big moves this off-season, and maybe things will turn out better than we thought. That is the beauty of baseball. Anything can happen in a 3 game series, and anything can happen in 162 games. That's the best i can come up with.

ewokpelts
01-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Hosey22
I really wish I could boycott the Sox. I have been sorely disappointed by this organization many times in my life already, and i won't turn 20 until later this year. I am so sick of dealin with the heartbreak and those season's where we get oh so close, but then something comes along to screw us over. Any normal person would've given up by now, but Sox fans are far from normal. ALL of this crap we have to deal with, Reinsdorf, Williams, the rumors about us having a Bad Ballpark, the cubs, everything pisses me off to no extent. But that's what i believe makes Sox fans the best fans out there. The die-hards, who put up with this crap all of their lives, and get nothing more than a couple of playoff appearences deserve much more. And the ones who stick by the team are the ones who will deserve it more than anyone if/when a world series victory ever comes here.

As much as i'd like to walk away from the organization and teach them a lesson, i can't. Something draws me back every time i get pissed off. I always have some glitter of hope that things will go right, although they never do. That's why even if KW trades maggs tomorrow for a ****load of second tier propects and we get no pitching, i'll still go to sox games this summer. It's in my blood. And i know that there are others here that feel the same way. All we can do, is sit, and wait, and hope that maybe everything will go right one of these years. I mean hell, we've made some big moves that last few seasons and gotten nothing out of them. So who knows, we make no big moves this off-season, and maybe things will turn out better than we thought. That is the beauty of baseball. Anything can happen in a 3 game series, and anything can happen in 162 games. That's the best i can come up with.

what ur describing is a bad relationship....i'm in one too....\
Gene

starboy0
01-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Like Depy48, I was lucky and the Sox were 8-1 for the games I attended. But it wasn't all luck. The Sox played good. I mean goo-oood! Pitching, hitting and defense were all in a sweet sync. I had a great time at the park this summer. Walkin' concourse and drinking miller liiiiiggghhhhhttttts (does anyone know the guy's name who says that in a real low gutteral voice and then says "your change is 19 quarters?")

For me, it's all about the game that I'm at. That's the one that counts right now. And the ones I saw, the Sox played with heart and were winners.

Next year I'll go as often as I can which fluctuates between a game or two a week. You never know when magic will be in the air. '77, and '83, are just two examples.

58 million is a ridiculous salary cap for the Chicago White Sox. Problem is I think JR is cheap. Hard to make a leopard change his spots.

But money alone doesn't win. There is that intangible something that you can just sense in a team that knows they can win. That's when the season mysteriously takes off. Like that feeling in 2000 when they swept Cleveland and New York. There is that team/fan chemistry.

And it could happen this summer. I'm thinking the motive force could be Ozzie's enthusiasm coupled with the young turks (Rowand, Crede, Harris, Olivio, Garland) coming into their own. In turn, the old guard will not want to be outdone.

Brian26
01-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfan79
Although would like to go so I could ask Buerhle about what he said to my friend in a bar in St. Louis about how he is going to be a Cardinal

I'm sure Buehrle tells big-titted Hooters girls a lot of things when he's dining on wings in St. Louis.

Brian26
01-14-2004, 08:39 PM
I want to save this thread and pull it out on May 1 after the Sox have 20 wins after the first month. A little winning baseball cures a lot of things.

TornLabrum
01-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I want to save this thread and pull it out on May 1 after the Sox have 20 wins after the first month. A little winning baseball cures a lot of things.

My prediction: You won't be pulling this out until about June 1.

HITMEN OF 77
01-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Please do, if not 20 wins very close and 1st place as well!! :smile:

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:20 PM
20 wins after April is out of reach for this team, yet 20 wins come June is scary.

I bet the Sox will have 20 wins about 40-45 games into the season, so, mark May 15th down.

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 11:53 PM
What is this, the anti-Soxfest thread?

I'm going for a couple of reasons...

First of all, it's a chance to get together and meet a large number of the people I talk to everyday on this message board. It's always nice to be able to put a face with the name IMO.

Second, it's a chance to stand up in front of the Sox brass and let them know exactly how I feel and ask them what they plan on doing about it.

Lastly, it's a chance for me to get away for a weekend and hang out with no kids. Opportunities like that are few and far between.

Also, for those complaining about giving JR more money, doesn't most of the money from this thing go to charities???

CubKilla
01-14-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Also, for those complaining about giving JR more money, doesn't most of the money from this thing go to charities???

JR should start a charity for Sox fans dumb enough to have kept forking over money to him for garbage over the past 20 years..... like me.

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2004, 12:39 AM
I highly doubt JR makes little if any money off Soxfest. Doesn't the team pay for airline tickets for it's players that are going to be there? That in itself would cost a small fortune. Current players may get a deal but, Melton, Minnie, Pierce etc doubt if they do. So the way I see it a certain % goes to charity, a % goes to player tickets, % goes to the hotel?

ewokpelts
01-15-2004, 08:45 AM
I highly doubt JR makes little if any money off Soxfest. Doesn't the team pay for airline tickets for it's players that are going to be there? That in itself would cost a small fortune. Current players may get a deal but, Melton, Minnie, Pierce etc doubt if they do. So the way I see it a certain % goes to charity, a % goes to player tickets, % goes to the hotel?

Unlike the Cubs Convention, this is a for profit enterprise. Although there may not be much profit. The team PAYS all the players to show up, not just thier plane/hotel ticket. Same for all older players. Minnie, Moose, and Melton work for the sox, so they're getting paid anyway, and a free room. Since Cubs convention is for charity, i think most players come if they dont have to pay for thier room/plane(and that's taken care of through any sponsorships the cubs have). The only player that wont show up unless it's in his contract is Sosa. Go figure.
Gene

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Minnie, Moose, and Melton work for the sox, so they're getting paid anyway, and a free room.

So who else works for the White Sox (older players) and would get paid for coming but doesn't come?

chisoxmike
01-15-2004, 10:59 AM
A user earlier said they were in a abusive relationship with the team. Or maybe something like that.

Anyway, its funny.

I remember when the White Sox were swept by the Twins in the garbage dome last September and I said that the White Sox are like some girls. They lead you on for long time, and just when you're about to believe them, they break your heart. I give and give to this team. Time, money, and plenty of emotion. But nothing gets returned. Yet, I keep going back for more. I can't get enough of it. I'm sure when April comes around and summer is here, when I have nothing to do one afternoon, I will look at the sox schedule and notice they have a afternoon game, then I'm off.

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2004, 11:28 AM
And when they go all the way it's worth every bit of it.

Tekijawa
01-15-2004, 12:31 PM
And when they go all the way it's worth every bit of it.

Yeah but she never does it with you, it's with the guy that you always hated the most... Watch, the Sox wont win ANYTHING until they Finnally move to Florida