PDA

View Full Version : Baseball revenue ?

john2499
01-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I have never concerned myself with the question of baseball finances. I have enough trouble balancing my checkbook, let alone someone else's. I was only interested in the game on the field, until I discovered this little refuge.

I have heard and/or read ticket sales have little, if anything, to do with a team's payroll. This I am assuming would mean payroll money comes from TV, merchandising, licensing of the logos, etc. Am I missing anything ?

Chicago's Metro. population is about 10 million. The White Sox merchandising, a few years back was near the top in sales. They play in a publicly funded stadium.
So my question is, is there another source of revenue the Sox are desperately coming up short in ? I know the scrubs account for allot of the 10 million, but even if they accounted for 70% of that, the Sox should still be making more money than KC, Minn., Pitt. and that is if you give the scrubs that big of a %.

voodoochile
01-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by john2499
I have never concerned myself with the question of baseball finances. I have enough trouble balancing my checkbook, let alone someone else's. I was only interested in the game on the field, until I discovered this little refuge.

I have heard and/or read ticket sales have little, if anything, to do with a team's payroll. This I am assuming would mean payroll money comes from TV, merchandising, licensing of the logos, etc. Am I missing anything ?

Chicago's Metro. population is about 10 million. The White Sox merchandising, a few years back was near the top in sales. They play in a publicly funded stadium.
So my question is, is there another source of revenue the Sox are desperately coming up short in ? I know the scrubs account for allot of the 10 million, but even if they accounted for 70% of that, the Sox should still be making more money than KC, Minn., Pitt. and that is if you give the scrubs that big of a %.

On the contrary, baseball has always been an attendance driven sport revenue-wise. 2M fans a year paying an average of $25 a head just to walk through the door is $50M any way you slice it. That average would be lower for the sox, but you get the point.

Much of the problem lies with the Sox PR itself which has been so bad they have finished handing good portions of the cities fanbase to the already aggressively marketed crosstown flubbies.

The Sox normally do well in merchandise sales and they have an excellent media revenue stream (reported as high as 6th in the majors). Then they are starting a new TV station next year where they own the rights to their own broadcasts and can charge the cable companies a fee to carry the channel - which of course those cable companies pass right on to you and me.

In either case, you aren't the first person to wonder where the money is or at least wonder how the situation got so bad.

john2499
01-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
On the contrary, baseball has always been an attendance driven sport revenue-wise. 2M fans a year paying an average of $25 a head just to walk through the door is $50M any way you slice it. That average would be lower for the sox, but you get the point.

Much of the problem lies with the Sox PR itself which has been so bad they have finished handing good portions of the cities fanbase to the already aggressively marketed crosstown flubbies.

The Sox normally do well in merchandise sales and they have an excellent media revenue stream (reported as high as 6th in the majors). Then they are starting a new TV station next year where they own the rights to their own broadcasts and can charge the cable companies a fee to carry the channel - which of course those cable companies pass right on to you and me.

In either case, you aren't the first person to wonder where the money is or at least wonder how the situation got so bad.

Thanks!

That being said, it seems to only lessen the loyalty of a Sox fan. 2M fans, all the other revenue, should constitute a higher payroll than $58M.

Daver
01-13-2004, 07:56 PM
The Sox also recieve 1/29 of the revenue sharing money from the Montreal Expos,and will recieve 1/29 of the money netted from the sale of that franchise when it is sold.

Dadawg_77
01-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Question, how much does it cost to operate the park? any ideas?

Daver
01-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Question, how much does it cost to operate the park? any ideas?

Ask the State of Illinois.

The Sox lease it.