PDA

View Full Version : Fogg

dimaisback
09-04-2001, 06:51 PM
I thought he was, just like Leifer and Biddle, a future AAAA player. Needless to say I am more than surprised. Could it be that Fogg would be another under-hyped Sox pitcher to excel in the majors (see Buerhle).

Vodoo, Randar what's your take on him?

Iguana775
09-05-2001, 07:55 AM
yea. i would like some info on him to if at all possible. danman was saying he has a great curve. whats up with the guy, randar?? :):)

Randar68
09-05-2001, 09:24 AM
Well....Fogg was a closer at Florida when drafted, but has spent the last 3 seasons in the minors as a starter. Last season, he put up excellent numbers as a starter in Birmingham in 195 IP. He's durable, doesn't walk anybody. The Sox seem to think he could be an excellent 7 inning end-of-rotation starter. More than likely, he could end up being a middle reliever, a la Sean Lowe. He has a fastball that tops out at 90-91, but has an excellent slider and curve to go with his average change-up, any of which he'll throw regardless of the count....

Certainly not a top prospect, but someome who could be a solid pitcher for years to come....Hey, if you can keep the walks down, you're in instant success in middle relief....

delben91
09-05-2001, 09:49 AM
:walk

"Wait, walks are bad?!?!"

dimaisback
09-05-2001, 10:39 AM
>>>Well....Fogg was a closer at Florida when drafted, but has spent the last 3 seasons in the minors as a starter. Last season, he put up excellent numbers as a starter in Birmingham in 195 IP. He's durable, doesn't walk anybody. The Sox seem to think he could be an excellent 7 inning end-of-rotation starter. More than likely, he could end up being a middle reliever, a la Sean Lowe. He has a fastball that tops out at 90-91, but has an excellent slider and curve to go with his average change-up, any of which he'll throw regardless of the count....

Certainly not a top prospect, but someome who could be a solid pitcher for years to come....Hey, if you can keep the walks down, you're in instant success in middle relief....<<<

I don't know. If your description of Fogg proves to be correct, he could be up there with Buerhle. In fact, Buerhle was just above average (ERA of 4.20 if I recall) in first season. Fogg already shows control and poise; he also refuses to "waste" pitches when he is ahead in the count unlike Garland, Wright, Wells, etc Once Fogg establishes that "credibility" with hitters you mentioned (throwing any pitch over in any count thus constatly kepping hitters off balance), it will be interesting to see what he can do....I cerainly like him better than Parque, Biddle and even Wright.

Hey, it is only 2 innings, so I might be wrong.

Randar68
09-05-2001, 10:57 AM
Hey, it is only 2 innings, so I might be wrong.

That's the key....

In fact, Buerhle was just above average (ERA of 4.20 if I recall) in first season

Well, Fogg's 24 and in his 3rd pro season I believe. Last year at AA, Buehrle had an ERA barely above 2...

I cerainly like him better than Parque, Biddle and even Wright.

Well, Wright certainly has better stuff. However, he needs to regain the confidence and aggressiveness he had in AA. He hasn't had it in his starts so far, but he's made a big jump in a short time, so give him some time to regain his confidence.

Iguana775
09-05-2001, 12:26 PM
as was said, he has only pitched 2.1 innings but it seems that he maybe pretty good. it would be awesome if he becomes next years burly. so far he has 5 k's and only 1 hit(i think it was just 1 hit) and also NO bb's. that what i like the most. no walks. i have heard good stuff about fogg's breaking pitches.

randar, if you say that Not Wrong has better stuff, he should be pretty damn good if he can learn to throw strikes. hopefully he does.

Randar68
09-05-2001, 01:14 PM
randar, if you say that Not Wrong has better stuff, he should be pretty damn good if he can learn to throw strikes. hopefully he does.

Well, that was Wright's flaw coming into this season in AA, but he made the adjustments and had about a 3:1 K:BB ratio....I'm confident he'll be able to do the same here. Also, instead of waiting for hitters to catch a flaw in his delivery where he was tipping pitches, the Sox started to correct it immediately, and I would guess he's not 100% comfortable with it yet....

He'll be fine...I'm very confident in his abilities...

danman31
09-05-2001, 04:11 PM
I love Fogg's curve and slider as Iggy said, but I think his fastball and change need work. He is one of those pitchers that once the hitters figure him out he is only average at best, but before then he is a very good pitcher(a la Hideo Nomo). I'm not saying Fogg's stuff is at all like Nomo's, but I think once hitters figure him out he could be in a little trouble, that will be the real test.