PDA

View Full Version : 38 Days Until Pitchers/Catchers Report

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 02:24 PM
The Sox have announced that Pitchers and Catchers are to report to Spring Training on Feb. 20th in Tucson, AZ. The remainder of the roster is to report on Feb 25th.

What will come of the Sox?

soxnut
01-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Whoo hoo, that gets me excited...time to start the countdown to opening day as well. You know, for the last nine years, the day after the Super Bowl, I start watching my Ken Burns Baseball tapes. I watch one inning per week. It leads right up to opening day. Good way to get the juices going for the season. What a geek huh???? :D:

Palehose13
01-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Ahhhhhhh...only 38 days of sports limbo. I feel lost this time of year when the Sox and Bears are done. IMO, the NBA blows and I don't follow hockey.

Fridaythe13thJason
01-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Ahhhhhhh...only 38 days of sports limbo. I feel lost this time of year when the Sox and Bears are done. IMO, the NBA blows and I don't follow hockey.

You should consider college basketball. It's the most exciting sport filled with passion out there. I am a huge fan. If you enjoy the proper things about sports, then college bball is it. Its much more technically sound than NBA.

Baby Fisk
01-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Whoo hoo, that gets me excited...time to start the countdown to opening day as well. You know, for the last nine years, the day after the Super Bowl, I start watching my Ken Burns Baseball tapes. I watch one inning per week. It leads right up to opening day. Good way to get the juices going for the season. What a geek huh???? :D:
Field of Dreams was on TV up here twice this weekend, and I watched it from start to finish both times. (My allergies always seem to flare up near the end... ) THAT's a geek!

Other than that, I've been planning to follow the National Lacrosse League until spring training. Toronto has a lacrosse dynasty on the go. It's nice to be able to root for SOMETHING that has the word "dynasty" related to it.

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 02:46 PM

Now that is something that I have never heard before. Nice spring training.

mealfred13
01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
It's nice to be able to root for SOMETHING that has the word "dynasty" related to it.

You can always root for the Yankees?
:smile:

34 Inch Stick
01-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Or the Chinese restauraunt around the corner.

soxnut
01-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Field of Dreams was on TV up here twice this weekend, and I watched it from start to finish both times. (My allergies always seem to flare up near the end... ) THAT's a geek!

Other than that, I've been planning to follow the National Lacrosse League until spring training. Toronto has a lacrosse dynasty on the go. It's nice to be able to root for SOMETHING that has the word "dynasty" related to it.

Oh, I have added watching Field of Dreams(hmmmm, my allergies flare up then too...must be from the dust of the tape sitting on the shelf for a year) after I've finished watching the Baseball tapes. I'm going to add Eight Men Out after that as well(that movie kinda lets reality set in though)

soxnut
01-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Now that is something that I have never heard before. Nice spring training.

Yeah it is..I really enjoy it. I taped them off PBS in '94. and have been watching them every winter since then.

CubKilla
01-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
What will come of the Sox?

Baseball irrelevancy in Chicago by 2005.

This is the first time in years that I look at the date of 02/25 and say to myself, "Whatever."

Dick Allen
01-13-2004, 03:44 PM
And about 100 days until the season's over.

Frater Perdurabo
01-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13

I agree. My NHL (Stars) and NBA (Mavs) teams are floundering right now. I'm excited about the situation down in Houston, though. GO ASTROS!

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Or the Chinese restauraunt around the corner.

Oh, I'm hungry for some food from the Charming Wok (Harrison and Wabash)!

Lip Man 1
01-13-2004, 06:56 PM
I was thinking the same thing myself yesterday that Spring training will be here soon...the the regular season and honest to God I was filled with a sense of uneasiness and fear.

Fear that the Cubs mania from last season is going to triple, that they might make the World Series and that the Sox were doomed by their own stupidity and vindictiveness.

I was not a good feeling and one that I never encountered before when talking about a great time of the year.

Lip

Baby Fisk
01-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Oh, I have added watching Field of Dreams(hmmmm, my allergies flare up then too...must be from the dust of the tape sitting on the shelf for a year) after I've finished watching the Baseball tapes. I'm going to add Eight Men Out after that as well(that movie kinda lets reality set in though)
I can't watch Eight Men Out. It's a beautifully filmed movie (I love the single-frame shot of Joe Jackson's triple early in the film). But the whole story is too depressing. I keep wanting to scream at the TV. DON'T DO IT JOE! DON'T DO IT GUYS! DAMN YOU COMISKEY! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Plus the story of the 2004 Sox is already depressing enough, who needs more...? :(:

Maximo
01-14-2004, 11:07 AM

"Field of Dreams".....50+ years old and I still cry like a baby during the last 15 minutes of that film.

Have to add" Major League" and "The Natural" to the 'Are you ready for some baseball?" filmfest. In fact, if you think about the plotlines of those two films, it's about good guys vs bad guys......in these cases tyrannical owners. Sound familiar?

Now let's see....if we trade Mags, can we get Roy Hobbs to play rightfield?

Realist
01-14-2004, 11:23 AM

I bought my brother the same series for Christmas one year and I did pretty much the same thing you do. It was back when I was living in Lansing too. It must be something they're putting in the water down there. :cool:

Also, I can't believe all the baseball movie references in this thread and nobody has mentioned "The Bad News Bears" yet. It may be the perfect warm-up movie for Sox fans this season.

Tatum O'Neil is only in her early 40's. Maybe she can develop a knuckler and Kenny can get her to sign a minor league contract.

KingXerxes
01-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Pride of the Yankees

It Happens Every Spring

Angels in the Outfield (the 1951 version with Paul Douglas/Janet Leigh)

And - of course - two of the worst baseball movies ever made:

The Pride of St. Louis (beyond bad)

The Babe Ruth Story (Wiliam Bendix as Ruth) - even worse than Pride of St. Louis.

DannyCaterFan
01-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Gee Whiz....... only 37 days til spring training. Normally, that gives me goose bumps thinking about a new White Sox season, but both KW and JR have made sure that us Sox fans have nothing to cheer about this year. TIME TO SELL JERRY!
Just think of all the hype thats going to surround the Cubs season this year, starting when catchers and pitchers report. It's gonna be one bad year if the Cubs do well. By September, the White Sox might be in the same company as the Blackhawks for fan interest.

BeerHandle
01-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I was thinking the same thing myself yesterday that Spring training will be here soon...the the regular season and honest to God I was filled with a sense of uneasiness and fear.

Fear that the Cubs mania from last season is going to triple, that they might make the World Series and that the Sox were doomed by their own stupidity and vindictiveness.

I was not a good feeling and one that I never encountered before when talking about a great time of the year.

Lip

You just pinned the tail on the donkey. I know the Sox will always be 2nd in this town; however, it is a miuch happier place when we are winning and the Flubs are losing. I couldn't stand watching the playoffs except the fact they fell apart.

JDP
01-15-2004, 12:12 AM
38 days until P/C report, 50-some days til the rest report, 90 days until the season starts, 150 days until the Sox are out of contention, 270 days until the next lonely offseason begins....

soxnut
01-15-2004, 02:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Realist
[B]I bought my brother the same series for Christmas one year and I did pretty much the same thing you do. It was back when I was living in Lansing too. It must be something they're putting in the water down there. :cool:

I guess...but whatever they put in there, must be pretty strong, cuz I filter my water :D: