PDA

View Full Version : 73 Free Agents Remain!

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 09:07 AM
There are 73 free agents still available. Do you see the Sox picking up any of the available players?

American League
ANAHEIM (1) -- Eric Owens of.

BALTIMORE (3) -- Albert Belle, of; Hector Carrasco, rhp; Scott Erickson, rhp.

BOSTON (2) -- John Burkett, rhp; Robert Person, rhp.

CLEVELAND (2) -- Ellis Burks, dh; Terry Mulholland, lhp.

DETROIT (2) -- Shane Halter, 3b; Matt Walbeck, c.

KANSAS CITY (4) -- Jose Lima, rhp; Graeme Lloyd, lhp; Tom Prince, c; Jamey Wright, rhp.

MINNESOTA (1) -- Rick Reed, rhp.

NEW YORK (1) -- Antonio Osuna, rhp.

SEATTLE (2) -- John Mabry, of; Mark McLemore, ss.

TAMPA BAY (4) -- Travis Lee, 1b; Al Martin, dh; Rey Ordonez, ss; Terry Shumpert, dh.

TORONTO (1) -- Mike Bordick, ss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

National League
ARIZONA (4) -- Mark Grace, 1b; Felix Jose, of; Raul Mondesi, of; Mike Myers, lhp.

ATLANTA (4) -- Darren Bragg, of; Matt Franco, 1b; Darren Holmes; Greg Maddux, rhp.

CHICAGO (6) -- Shawn Estes, lhp; Mark Guthrie, lhp; Eric Karros, 1b; Troy O'Leary, of; Dave Veres, rhp; Tony Womack, ss.

COLORADO (3) -- Greg Norton, 3b; Darren Oliver, lhp; Gregg Zaun, c.

FLORIDA (3) -- Rick Helling, rhp; Ivan Rodriguez, c; Ugueth Urbina, rhp.

HOUSTON (4) -- Orlando Merced, of; Brian Moehler, rhp; Ron Villone, lhp; Rick White, rhp.

LOS ANGELES (4) -- Andy Ashby, rhp; Ron Coomer, 1b; Rickey Henderson, of; Fred McGriff, 1b.

MILWAUKEE (3) -- Keith Osik, c; Todd Ritchie, rhp; Glendon Rusch, lhp.

MONTREAL (3) -- Wil Cordero, 1b; Jose Mercedes, rhp; Todd Zeile, 3b.

NEW YORK (2) -- Pedro Astacio, rhp; Jay Bell, 2b.

PHILADELPHIA (4) -- Jose Mesa, rhp; Dan Plesac, lhp; Turk Wendell, rhp; Mike Williams, rhp.

PITTSBURGH (2) -- Pat Meares, 2b; Jeff Reboulet, 2b.

ST. LOUIS (5) -- Joe Girardi, c; Lance Painter, rhp; Orlando Palmeiro, of; Russ Springer, rhp; Garrett Stephenson, rhp.

SAN FRANCISCO (3) -- Marvin Benard, of; Andres Galarraga, 1b; Sidney Ponson, rhp.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/baseball/mlb/11/26/remaining.free.agents.ap/index.html

SoxxoS
01-13-2004, 09:17 AM
I would take Person, Erickson, Osuna (for sure, why not), Urbina and Ponson of course, and grahme lloyd wouldn't be too bad of fit.

In terms of hitting, I only like Eric Owens, I think he is solid. The rest are crap.

Jerko
01-13-2004, 09:20 AM
WE CAN GET TODD RITCHIE BACK?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

chosk8
01-13-2004, 09:31 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I saw his name came up in this one, Robert Person. According to this USA Today article, it sounds as if we signed him, although I don't remember hearing about it.

They will need Esteban Loaiza to repeat his 21-win season, Robert Person to come back from elbow reconstruction and lefty Scott Schoeneweis to make the transition from reliever to starter.
...or is there another Robert Person I don't know about?

Entire article...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2004-01-13-albeat_x.htm

soxfan26
01-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Looks like USA today thinks we already signed Robert Person (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2004-01-13-albeat_x.htm)

They will need Esteban Loaiza to repeat his 21-win season, Robert Person to come back from elbow reconstruction and lefty Scott Schoeneweis to make the transition from reliever to starter.

Is it a sign?

Bobby Thigpen
01-13-2004, 09:36 AM
I really think we should go after Albert Belle!!!

KingXerxes
01-13-2004, 09:36 AM
I know his OBP isn't the greatest, and he's going to be something like 35 years old - but am I the only one who is a little dissappointed that Doug Glanville wasn't sought by the White Sox? I just read in today's paper that he signed for something like $500,000. He can steal bases, and he can play a very good centerfield - he is a grinder. And now he's gone.

munchman33
01-13-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by chosk8
I posted this in another thread, but I saw his name came up in this one, Robert Person. According to this USA Today article, it sounds as if we signed him, although I don't remember hearing about it.

...or is there another Robert Person I don't know about?

Entire article...
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2004-01-13-albeat_x.htm

That would be a move that would make a lot of sense. Hope it happens.

As for guys I like on the list, would it be so terrible to see Fred McGriff platoon at first in the event of a Konerko trade? I'd like to see what he has left.

Baby Fisk
01-13-2004, 09:46 AM
If Kenny signs Jose Lima, I'm cancelling my trip to Chicago this summer.

Hangar18
01-13-2004, 09:47 AM
I see the SOX are ready to start Shopping for Dinner
on the 99cents Menu Again .........*sigh*

habibharu
01-13-2004, 09:48 AM
i would love to have astacio. i think he could be a solid no. 3

tanko
01-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Mike Williams that would be nice don't hear much about him. I could see us signing Lance Painter and Jeff Reboulet that's the kind of signings we make.

The Critic
01-13-2004, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't mind Orlando Merced if the price was right.
Backup OF/LH stick off the bench.....not bad, if a bargain can be had.

SoxOnTop
01-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Ellis Burks bandwagon.... ....still chuggin' along!!!

The Big Squirt
01-13-2004, 10:40 AM
That list looks like a killer roto league line up....from 1996

Tekijawa
01-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Will the remaining FA pitchers please line up by weight? We don't have any "fat guys" to be the answer this year!

bennyw41
01-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Esteban could be the fat guy soon enough. I think The USA mixed its sox up. Person was last seen on the Red.

JasonC23
01-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I know his OBP isn't the greatest, and he's going to be something like 35 years old - but am I the only one who is a little dissappointed that Doug Glanville wasn't sought by the White Sox?

Yes. :D:

mealfred13
01-13-2004, 12:27 PM
I think we should take a shot at Osuna. He was pretty solid for us before we traded him, and we could always use some closer platooning considering we still have to deal with Krotch's possible (probable?) ineffectiveness.

As for Lima. I HATE :angry: Lima. He's the most annoying player ever, especially when he's on the bench. If we signed him, I'd find it EXTREMELY difficult to watch any Sox games this season.

Finally, we should also pick up Rey Ordonez. Just so that we can have 2 guys named Ordonez. This may actually cause hours of enjoyment when I'm plastered and the Sox are getting their asses handed to them.

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I would take Person, Erickson, Osuna (for sure, why not), Urbina and Ponson of course, and grahme lloyd wouldn't be too bad of fit.

In terms of hitting, I only like Eric Owens, I think he is solid. The rest are crap.

I would take a chance on Erickson. He could be an invitee to spring training.

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Whatever happened to Erickson? I can't find any 2003 news on him. Injury? Minors? Anyone know?

pudge
01-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Can we just clarify that there are really only 72 left... I mean, when is Albert Belle not going to be on those lists anymore?

munchman33
01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Can we just clarify that there are really only 72 left... I mean, when is Albert Belle not going to be on those lists anymore?

He has to officially retire first.