PDA

View Full Version : KW's Comments on Sox Pitching - Please!

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Has anyone read the article on Whitesox.com about the Sox avoiding arbitration with Schoeneweis? Check out KW's quote in the last paragraph.

Where Im most concerned about is pitching, said White Sox general manager Ken Williams recently of his South Side squad. Ive been concerned with it since the end of last season.

If this is the case why hasn't he done anything?

Baby Fisk
01-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Where Im most concerned about is pitching, said White Sox general manager Ken Williams recently of his South Side squad. Ive been concerned with it since the end of last season.

Is there a sound effect for *depression*?

:ohno

Palehose13
01-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Has anyone read the article on Whitesox.com about the Sox avoiding arbitration with Schoeneweis? Check out KW's quote in the last paragraph.

Well, at least he is aware. I was afraid that he was completely confident with what we currently have. I am hoping that he is going to pull something off, but I guess time will tell.

Maximo
01-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Kenny.......Welcome Back!!!!!Glad to hear you're out of that coma.

Hangar18
01-13-2004, 09:39 AM

yeah, Meanwhile, the rest of the Upper Tier Teams in the MLB have been ADDRESSING their Pitching Concerns. We've
idly sat by, wearing the Imaginary Handcuffs ...

Jerko
01-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Is it too late to un-renew my weekend plan? Every time I think of the current lineup and rotation, the BEST word that comes to my mind is ugh. Maybe that's not the 'best' word, but it's the nicest. Well, I'll wait and see what happens before the season starts, but as of right now the White Sox are a non-entity in this town.

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Is there a sound effect for *depression*?

:ohno

At least you have an Old Style Bottle on the bar! Check out the 73 free agents. Can you we get a #3 or 4 to fill our 5th spot. I'm not sold on Cotts, Rausch or Wright.

SoxOnTop
01-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Why not John Burkett as a #5 starter? He'll be cheap. And as a wiley verteran, he can probably pass on some good knowledge to our young staff. I think that is all we are missing is a veteran starter who knows how to pitch that can take these guy under his wing. Despite the Wells fiasco, he did impart plenty to Buehrle.

Any one than can get outs with as little stuff as Burkett has must know a thing or two.

kittle42
01-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
yeah, Meanwhile, the rest of the Upper Tier Teams in the MLB have been ADDRESSING their Pitching Concerns. We've
idly sat by, wearing the Imaginary Handcuffs ...

Cliff Politte, Jose Santiago...if that isn't addressing your pitching concerns, what is?

anewman35
01-13-2004, 10:58 AM

If I really really really want to date this perfect girl, and I do everything I possibly can, but she just doesn't like me, is that my fault? Sometimes, a person can try and try to do things, but they don't always work out.

SoxOnTop
01-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Why not John Burkett as a #5 starter? He'll be cheap. And as a wiley verteran, he can probably pass on some good knowledge to our young staff. I think that is all we are missing is a veteran starter who knows how to pitch that can take these guy under his wing. Despite the Wells fiasco, he did impart plenty to Buehrle.

Any one than can get outs with as little stuff as Burkett has must know a thing or two.

Actually, after looking at Burket's stat's I have no idea why he is still in the league.

I retract my statement and ask for the mercy of the court...

CubKilla
01-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
If I really really really want to date this perfect girl, and I do everything I possibly can, but she just doesn't like me, is that my fault? Sometimes, a person can try and try to do things, but they don't always work out.

Gimme a break. Pitching hasn't been addressed because JR refused to allow KW to address it. PERIOD!

voodoochile
01-13-2004, 11:35 AM

Are you bucking for a job with Sox management? Have they ever done anything wrong in your eyes? Don't you get tired of having to explain and justify the moves or lack thereof?

CubKilla
01-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Are you bucking for a job with Sox management? Have they ever done anything wrong in your eyes? Don't you get tired of having to explain and justify the moves or lack thereof?

I'm convinced anew is JR or a family member of his close to the goings on in the Organization. There can be no other explanation.

Maybe anew is a Cubs fan.

anewman35
01-13-2004, 11:40 AM

Sure, Sox management has done plenty wrong. And, yes, I get very tired of having to explain and justify moves, but, eh, it gives me something to do. Anyway, it gets annoying when people with no actual inside knowledge at all claim to know what's happening. For all any of us know, Kenny could have been close to signing a whole bunch of pitchers, but they all fell through for various reasons. Unless we know something is Kenny's fault, why blame him?

anewman35
01-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I'm convinced anew is JR or a family member of his close to the goings on in the Organization. There can be no other explanation.

Maybe anew is a Cubs fan.

:angry: :angry: :angry:
Grr, now that upset me. Take it back!

Anyway, doesn't thinking about things in a rational manner (and not just blindly going along with everybody else) make me the anti-cub fan? I mean, do you know many cub fans who think at all?

voodoochile
01-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Sure, Sox management has done plenty wrong. And, yes, I get very tired of having to explain and justify moves, but, eh, it gives me something to do. Anyway, it gets annoying when people with no actual inside knowledge at all claim to know what's happening. For all any of us know, Kenny could have been close to signing a whole bunch of pitchers, but they all fell through for various reasons. Unless we know something is Kenny's fault, why blame him?

Wouldn't that make it worse? I mean if KW actually was "close to signing a whole bunch of pitchers, but they all fell through for various reasons" wouldn't that tick you off? If you are that close to making it happen and they ALL get away, that is really bad business, period. How can there be exactly NO wiggle room in the budget? If it's not the budget, but some other factor, how come they can't fix that problem?

anewman35
01-13-2004, 11:47 AM
The funny thing to me is that I'm (when not on the board) not nearly as positive towards the Sox as you all think I am - it's just that everything here is so overwhelmingly negative, so when I say "maybe it's ok" (which I basically what I do say, because if we don't know what's going on, it's hard to tell either way) everybody thinks I work for JR or something. I get just as frustrated with the team as anybody, usually swearing them off a couple times a year (I even did here at one point), but I always come back, because I just can't resist.

I wish our team was run with a higher payroll and was more popular, yes, but I realize there are much worse organizations out there, so I am thankful that ours is at least decent.

anewman35
01-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't that make it worse? I mean if KW actually was "close to signing a whole bunch of pitchers, but they all fell through for various reasons" wouldn't that tick you off? If you are that close to making it happen and they ALL get away, that is really bad business, period. How can there be exactly NO wiggle room in the budget? If it's not the budget, but some other factor, how come they can't fix that problem?

The thing is, we don't know, do we? This particular thread was bashing KW - maybe KW did everything great, and it was JR's fault. Or the media's fault. Or the agent's fault. Or something elese, who knows?. I certianly don't. But it seems silly to me to assign the blame to KW when not one of us has any actual way of knowing it was his fault. It's like seeing a line score, and knowing the Sox lost by one run, and made one error, and then just blaming the error for the loss. Sure, it's possible that the error lost the game, but it's just as possible that it was on a foul pop that got caught anyway. It's just bad in general to assume things that you can't possibly know.

CubKilla
01-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Unless we know something is Kenny's fault, why blame him?

Because, like JR, KW and JR are the figureheads for an Organization that has done ZERO this offseason..... unless Politte, Uribe, and Santiago are the cornerstones of a World Series contender that no other owner/GM in baseball is smart enough to realize.

Now if crying poor and blaming the fans qualified a team for the World Series.....

Iwritecode
01-13-2004, 12:09 PM
I wish our team was run with a higher payroll and was more popular, yes, but I realize there are much worse organizations out there, so I am thankful that ours is at least decent.

I don't know about that. At least fans of the Tigers, Brewers, Pirates, etc... know that their teams are going to be bad and can pretty much accept it before the season even starts.

With the Sox, they usually get everyone's hopes up just enough to think they might have a chance before coming crashing down again.

I'm not sure which is worse... :?:

jeremyb1
01-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop

I really think you have to be careful giving guaranteed contracts to pitchers that are mediocre at best simply because they are considered "seasoned veterans". If we guarantee all five of our rotation spots with huge question marks like Burkett while denying Rauch and Cotts so much as an opportunity to compete for spots, we might be in trouble.

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I really think you have to be careful giving guaranteed contracts to pitchers that are mediocre at best simply because they are considered "seasoned veterans". If we guarantee all five of our rotation spots with huge question marks like Burkett while denying Rauch and Cotts so much as an opportunity to compete for spots, we might be in trouble.

Our 5th starter will blow! I would love to eat my words in July!

Lip Man 1
01-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Folks:

Anewman simply likes jerking your chains because he knows how many fans resent current ownership.

Like many broadcast commentators he takes positions that will generate a response then sits back to see what transpires.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that. I guess he enjoys living in the bullseye.

And Hal Vickery wrote a column at WSI a few months back dealing with the thread of accountability. It's something that obviously the Sox management and front office failed to read.

Lip

SoxOnTop
01-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

My point is not to fill up the rotation with seasoned veterans, who may or may not be good just becuase they have experience. The point is that we could use a veteran pitcher as a 4 or 5 starter who can pass his knowledge on to the abundance of young pitchers we have. As pitcher develop in the big leagues they can learn as much from their peers (if not more) as they can from their pitching coach. When you don't have any veterans on your staff to help mentor the younger pitchers, it can make their growth that much slower. Your foolish if you don't think Glavine and Maddux had a lot to do with brining Kevin Milwood around.

jabrch
01-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Concerned? He is concerned? That's nice. I am flipping furious. He can go out there and be concerned all he wants. It would suck to be Ozzie and to know that your GM is concerned that he has not gotten you any pitching.

maurice
01-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Remember, the Sox need a top-of-the-rotation starter to replace Colon, not a #4 or #5 starter. It looks like we'll get Schoenweis instead.

IMHO, the only way this works out is if Cooper can teach Schoenweis a cutter to get out righties, resulting in a Loaiza-esque transformation. I'm not counting on it.

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by maurice
[B]Remember, the Sox need a top-of-the-rotation starter to replace Colon, not a #4 or #5 starter. It looks like we'll get Schoenweis instead.[B]

I think the Sox believe that Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland can compete with any other rotation (1-3) in the league. Will Big J. Garland show up for the entire season? I want to see some emotion from this kid!

anewman35
01-13-2004, 04:54 PM

I think the Sox believe that Buehrle, Loaiza and Garland can compete with any other rotation (1-3) in the league. Will Big J. Garland show up for the entire season? I want to see some emotion from this kid!

That's a pretty good rotation, but I'm not sure it's as good as any in the league. Hudson/Mulder/Zito and Schilling/Martinez/Lowe come to mind.

voodoochile
01-13-2004, 05:02 PM
That's a pretty good rotation, but I'm not sure it's as good as any in the league. Hudson/Mulder/Zito and Schilling/Martinez/Lowe come to mind.

I know that and I assume BH knows that, he is merely saying what the Sox are expecting. I agree with BH. I hope they are right...

anewman35
01-13-2004, 05:20 PM
I know that and I assume BH knows that, he is merely saying what the Sox are expecting. I agree with BH. I hope they are right...

Yeah, I clearly misread that. Oops. Shouldn't post after being dead tired and looking at a computer for 8 hours...

StepsInSC
01-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

Anewman simply likes jerking your chains because he knows how many fans resent current ownership.

Like many broadcast commentators he takes positions that will generate a response then sits back to see what transpires.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that. I guess he enjoys living in the bullseye.

And Hal Vickery wrote a column at WSI a few months back dealing with the thread of accountability. It's something that obviously the Sox management and front office failed to read.

Lip

Was there anything shocking about what he said? He just suggested that maybe the lack of Sox activity isn't 100% on the shoulders of KW. I doubt free agents are sitting around saying "gee I'd really like to play for the White Sox". We don't exactly have the greatest track record.

His comments, the way I read them, just kind of reflected that.