PDA

View Full Version : Here's an idea...

doublem23
01-13-2004, 01:35 AM
... for the baseball play-offs. Of course, ideally in my world they would just go back to the 2-division format, but since that isn't going to change, I think that at least, to reward the higher seeds for winning consistently through the 162-game regular season, they should only have to win as many games in LDS and LCS play as their see number. For instance, the #1 seed would only have to win 1 game to advance, while the #4 seed (the wild-card) would have to win 4 games straight to get to the next round.

Hmmm... I know this will never happen either, but I kind of like it. Thoughts?

voodoochile
01-13-2004, 01:41 AM
I think it would make it nearly impossible for the #4 team to advance. Can you imagine having to sweep the Yankees 4 straight with the first two in NY? Might as well not even show up.

I like the idea of tweaking the playoffs, but this seems too tough.

CubKilla
01-13-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
... for the baseball play-offs. Of course, ideally in my world they would just go back to the 2-division format, but since that isn't going to change, I think that at least, to reward the higher seeds for winning consistently through the 162-game regular season, they should only have to win as many games in LDS and LCS play as their see number. For instance, the #1 seed would only have to win 1 game to advance, while the #4 seed (the wild-card) would have to win 4 games straight to get to the next round.

Hmmm... I know this will never happen either, but I kind of like it. Thoughts?

We still wouldn't have advanced in 2000 and we were the Number 1 seed by your plan :whiner: :gulp:

doublem23
01-13-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
We still wouldn't have advanced in 2000 and we were the Number 1 seed by your plan :whiner: :gulp:

Well there are holes in the plan caused by utter and complete collapse.

Jerko
01-13-2004, 09:33 AM
The only thing wrong with that is you can have a division winner (Twins) having a higher seed than a wild card team (Red Sox), even though the wild card team had a better record during the season. So, with your rules, the team with the better record would still have to win more playoff games than the "higher seed", thereby rendering the fact that they had a better regular season meaningless. They would just have to take the 4 top records and not give any bonuses for winning a division for your rules to work.

StepsInSC
01-13-2004, 09:55 AM
I see and understand the reasoning behind it...

But I really dislike the idea. Don't mean that as a knock. IMO just making the divisional series a best-of-seven series would be enough.