PDA

View Full Version : Minute Maid Park

SoxxoS
01-13-2004, 12:01 AM
They showed Minute Maid park on ESPN because of the Clemens signing, and it got me thinking. We know that it has that hill in the middle of centerfield. He is my question....can teams put whatever they want in the field without breaking any regulations? I mean, how can they just put a hill in the playing field? I don't understand. Are there any rules on that? With the way our defensive outfield is shaping up, we should put moguls out there to make it even.

Brian26
01-13-2004, 12:17 AM
No, teams can't do whatever they want. It has to be approved by MLB. The hill is a throwback to Crosley Field in Cincy, which had a hill in left field. I know it's Houston, so I don't know what the connection is.

doublem23
01-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
No, teams can't do whatever they want. It has to be approved by MLB. The hill is a throwback to Crosley Field in Cincy, which had a hill in left field. I know it's Houston, so I don't know what the connection is.

Yuppies think it's "cute."

KingXerxes
01-13-2004, 10:44 AM
I may be wrong here, but I think most ballparks used to have hills in them as they approached the walls - if they in fact had walls. Over the years, these hills were replaced by warning tracks. I think the hill in Houston is some sort of homage to the parks of way back when.

Brian26
01-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I may be wrong here, but I think most ballparks used to have hills in them as they approached the walls - if they in fact had walls. Over the years, these hills were replaced by warning tracks. I think the hill in Houston is some sort of homage to the parks of way back when.

You're wrong. :D:

There may have been a very slight incline in some of the parks, but the only one with a pronounced slope to it was Crosley Field. I'm talking about stadiums post 1906.

KingXerxes
01-13-2004, 03:17 PM
When I say hill - I mean incline - it was how outfielders knew they were nearing the walls. Houston & Cincinnati's inclines are/were far more exaggerated.

Baby Fisk
01-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Either way it's stupid. I really don't like the flagpole plunked in the middle of the incline/hill either. It is deliberate and not a consequence of the park's surroundings and serves no purpose other than to be "cutesy".

Dadawg_77
01-13-2004, 03:34 PM
In Yankees Stadium the monuments used to be in play.

www.ballparks.com

KingXerxes
01-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I agree that most of the new "retro" parks are almost laughable in that their quirks are all contrived. The "in play" flag pole is - I guess - supposed to be like Yankee Stadium when the monuments were in play (prior to the renovation). When the parks were made to fit their land parcel, at least the quirks were necessary and legitimate - now they just look stupid.

If you want to build a cool looking park, which hearkens back to days gone by, and doesn't incorporate stupid little contrivances - just build the thing with brick walls, have home runs land in the seated areas (i.e. have the outfield seats start right at the wall), and don't build it in a symetical fashion (but don't exaggerate the dimensions either). Don't put in fountains, or trains, or pirate ships - just build a ball park.

A good example of a "natural" idiosyncrasy in a new park is the warehouse behind right field at Camden Yards. It looks like it belongs there due to the fact that IT WAS THERE.

Frater Perdurabo
01-13-2004, 04:15 PM
The minor league stadium in Joliet is great for being built within the confines of the site. Very cool.