PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Maddux

JaylisJP
01-12-2004, 07:48 PM
I've heard some rumors floating around and have seen some passing comments on reputable Web sites (espn.com for example) that the Maddux to Cubs deal is closing in. Is this for real? Not that anyone would know, but do you think this is really going to happen? And if so, does this give the Cubs the best rotation in baseball?

BTW, we still got Damaso, and he does have the best name in baseball. Aside from that, like ya'll been saying...2005. But I won't ever in my life be caught cheering for another team other than the White Sox.

Jjav829
01-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by JaylisJP
I've heard some rumors floating around and have seen some passing comments on reputable Web sites (espn.com for example) that the Maddux to Cubs deal is closing in. Is this for real? Not that anyone would know, but do you think this is really going to happen? And if so, does this give the Cubs the best rotation in baseball?

BTW, we still got Damaso, and he does have the best name in baseball. Aside from that, like ya'll been saying...2005. But I won't ever in my life be caught cheering for another team other than the White Sox.

It sounds like it will happen. The only other teams that seem to have shown interest are the Mets and Orioles. Being that Maddux is closing in on 38, I think he probably wants one last chance at a World Series and the Cubs give him the best chance of the interested teams, no doubt. I think it probably does give them the best rotation. Greg Maddux isn't an ace anymore, a #2 at best. However, when you can add Greg Maddux as your 4th or 5th best pitcher, you're definitely solid. I do expect it to happen sometime soon, though I'm hoping it won't.

DirtySouthsider
01-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Lookout for the Giants.....they may sneak up and grab Maddux!

jabrch
01-12-2004, 08:13 PM
I am thinking that STL is going to come up with the $. With Houston signing Clemens, and the Cubs already having a top notch pitching staff, STL needs to do something. They have been talking about her for a while - and at the end of the day, I think they will come up with the $$$.

Palehose13
01-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I am thinking that STL is going to come up with the $. With Houston signing Clemens, and the Cubs already having a top notch pitching staff, STL needs to do something. They have been talking about her for a while - and at the end of the day, I think they will come up with the $$$.
I read somewhere that the cards and someone else (don't remember) offered more money than the cubs. However, with Clemens coming back the cubs may change their tune. I expect that we will see soon.

DirtySouthsider
Originally posted by jabrch

I would love to see that happen. It would make for a great race in the NL Central...with hopefully the Cubs coming up short :D:

MRKARNO
I hear that St. Louis, Baltimore, Mets, and Giants are as or more serious than the Cubs.

http://prosportsdaily.com/mlb/mlbrumors.html

You can go to this site and decide how you want to feel about all of the printed rumors, but it sounds like the Cubs offers arent serious compared to other clubs

DrCrawdad
01-12-2004, 08:22 PM
The big news of the off-season for the Sox will be when the Sox announce the signing of Maddux at SoxFest.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Is that your new text color, DrCrawdad?

DrCrawdad
01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Is that your new text color, DrCrawdad?

Well, I did just have some Peptobismal...

No, IIRC that is the color to use for a pipedream.

munchman33
01-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
The big news of the off-season for the Sox will be when the Sox announce the signing of Maddux at SoxFest.

Yeah, the signing of Maddux for another team.

MRKARNO
01-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

The sign and trade for prospects