PDA

View Full Version : The salary craziness of a few years ago


kittle42
01-12-2004, 02:57 PM
This is just insane:

Jeff Cirillo will make $6,725,000 in 2004 and $7,025,000 in 2005, and his deal includes a club option of $7,625,000 for 2006 with a $1.25 million buyout.

Thank goodness for today's collusion.

white sox bill
01-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Don't forget whaT Paulie makes..

Huisj
01-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I was curious about what other ridiculous contracts were still out there. here's a few i found for what some people made last year. I couldn't find up to date stuff for next year on ESPN or CBS at all, so I'm not sure if all these are done after last year or not.

Aaron Sele, Anaheim 8 million
Raul Mondesi, Arizona 13 million
Mike Hampton, Atlanta 13 million
David Segui, Baltamore 6.7 million
Matt Lawton, Cleveland 6.7 million
Bob Wickman, Cleveland 6 million
Denny Neagle, Colorado 9 million
Charles Johnson, Colorado 7 million
Bobby Higginson, Detroit 11.7 million
Darren Dreifort, LA 12.4 million
Andy Ashby, LA 8.5 million
Rick Reed, Minnesota 8 million
Mo Vaughn, NYM 17 milllion
Pedro Astacio, NYM 7 million
Jermaine Dye, Oakland 11.6 million
Jason Kendall, Pittsburgh 8.5 million
JT Snow, San Francisco 6.8 million
Jason Isringhausen, St. Louis 7.2 million
Rusty Greer, Texas 7 million

Jerko
01-12-2004, 04:15 PM
And collusion is a BAD thing?

Lip Man 1
01-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Kittle;

I don't know what you do for a living but I wonder if you'd be so flippent if illegal activites took place that limited your income?

Whether or not these guys are worth the money isn't the issue. The issue is that if someone does, they should be paid it.

When the government starts limiting the income of ALL entertainers, not just athletes, perhaps I could see your point more.

In other words the day all the rappers, Tom Cruise, Mick Jagger, Mel Gibson, Oprah etc. have caps put on their income...the day the CEO's of the Fortune 500 companies have their income capped, then I'll gravitate over to your side.

Till then it's wrong to just pick on athletes. Let's put it this way I don't see any of the CEO's working as hard as a ballplayer does for 162 games a year and they make FAR more money in one year then everyone but maybe Rodriguez.

As Howard Cosell said perhaps 30 years ago (and I'm paraphrasing) 'when you beat odds of 100,000 to 1 to reach the top of your profession, regardless of what that profession is, you should collect big.' He said this after doing a story on what Reggie Jackson was being paid.

Last I saw this was America and communism is dead.

Lip

Daver
01-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
This is just insane:

Jeff Cirillo will make $6,725,000 in 2004 and $7,025,000 in 2005, and his deal includes a club option of $7,625,000 for 2006 with a $1.25 million buyout.

Thank goodness for today's collusion.

When you can prove the existence of collusion,beyond a shadow of a doubt,including the rights that the MLBPA signed away in 2002,I suggest you run to the MLBPA office with it,it will be worth your weight in gold.

Till then you are making baseless and false assumptions.

john2499
01-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Bobby Higginson Detroit 11.7 million....

...WOW!!!

Whether you think players are overpaid or not, there should be some kind of extrication for teams with players who are not worth even 1/10 of their salary. It is not fair to the other players, the fans, or the persons doling out the money.

SoxxoS
01-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
I was curious about what other ridiculous contracts were still out there. here's a few i found for what some people made last year. I couldn't find up to date stuff for next year on ESPN or CBS at all, so I'm not sure if all these are done after last year or not.

Aaron Sele, Anaheim 8 million
Raul Mondesi, Arizona 13 million
Mike Hampton, Atlanta 13 million
David Segui, Baltamore 6.7 million
Matt Lawton, Cleveland 6.7 million
Bob Wickman, Cleveland 6 million
Denny Neagle, Colorado 9 million
Charles Johnson, Colorado 7 million
Bobby Higginson, Detroit 11.7 million
Darren Dreifort, LA 12.4 million
Andy Ashby, LA 8.5 million
Rick Reed, Minnesota 8 million
Mo Vaughn, NYM 17 milllion
Pedro Astacio, NYM 7 million
Jermaine Dye, Oakland 11.6 million
Jason Kendall, Pittsburgh 8.5 million
JT Snow, San Francisco 6.8 million
Jason Isringhausen, St. Louis 7.2 million
Rusty Greer, Texas 7 million

You could probably buy a small country with that money.

kittle42
01-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Daver
When you can prove the existence of collusion,beyond a shadow of a doubt,including the rights that the MLBPA signed away in 2002,I suggest you run to the MLBPA office with it,it will be worth your weight in gold.

Till then you are making baseless and false assumptions.

Sorry. Let me edit that post to put it in teal for Lip and the literalists.

duke of dorwood
01-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Its all about the market-which tries to adjust itself until 1 owner will pay Vlad Guererro 14 mil-and that sets the market. All the players can do is ask for it. You have seen there's ALWAYS someone gonna pay a top FA his price.

:payrod

Amen to that

1951Campbell
01-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1


Last I saw this was America and communism is dead.

Lip

Clearly you haven't been in the Politically Incorrect forum lately.

:D: