PDA

View Full Version : Next Sox FA Signing

Lip Man 1
01-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I hate to distract everybody from the Roger Clemens signing news (some of whom are reacting like the Sox signed him for some strange reason...) but a friend and source of mine from the Chicago Tribune sent me an e-mail this morning that I'm sure will really excite you!

Here's the Sox next BIG free agent signing! (LOL!!)

"The Sox, Teddy Greenstein told Dan McGrath (Tribune sports editor and Sox fan) on Friday night, are close to signing lefty reliever Vic Darensbourg , which will excite the local fandom maybe even more than the Cliff Politte signing ............. guy used to be with the Marlins and had one good season with them before drifting on to the Rockies (I think) and Montreal................ I don't even think he was in the big leagues last year!"

What an organization....Milwaukee South! LOL

Lip

depy48
01-12-2004, 01:33 PM
i guess minor moves are better than no moves at all
right? right! right :(:

jeremyb1
01-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Well, its not a major league contract, is it? I hardly see the point about complaining more than you would if we made no move because we made a move that will most likely be inconsequential. As I've pointed out in other threads, its not as though there's some tradeoff here. We weren't going to sign Ponson but decided to sign Darensbourg instead.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Jeremy:

You are absolutely correct which is why come July when the Sox are drawing maybe 15,000 a game I hope I don't read anyplace on this website about how Sox fans don't support their team.

They have little reason to given management's response coming off a successful (albeit disappointing) season.

Successful in terms of wins 86 and attendence almost two million.

The Sox deserve every abuse they get from their fans and the media. If they wish to act like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati they should be treated exactly the same and that includes (for our media conspiracy friends) basically being ignored by the local and national media.

Lip

jeremyb1
01-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jeremy:

You are absolutely correct which is why come July when the Sox are drawing maybe 15,000 a game I hope I don't read anyplace on this website about how Sox fans don't support their team.

They have little reason to given management's response coming off a successful (albeit disappointing) season.

Successful in terms of wins 86 and attendence almost two million.

The Sox deserve every abuse they get from their fans and the media. If they wish to act like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati they should be treated exactly the same and that includes (for our media conspiracy friends) basically being ignored by the local and national media.

We can agree that payroll should be higher and that perhaps we're behaving similarly to the Pirates, Brewers, and Reds relative to each teams payroll. However, I resist any comparisions with those types of small market clubs because none of those clubs have a 60 million dollar payroll. The Brewers just built a new park and yet are cutting their payroll to 30 million. They operate as small market clubs while we operate with a midlevel payroll.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Jeremy:

Which considering the market size the Sox are in is a 'midlevel' payroll only in their minds and perhaps yours.

Relative to the size of the city of Chicago this is in fact, a 'small market' payroll and mentality.

And lastly considering the median MLB payroll in 2002 was 70 million dollars puts the Sox under what is even considered 'average' (or to use your term midlevel) doesn't it?

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-12-2004, 08:44 PM
:(:

Atleast I had heard of Uribe and Politte before the Sox got them.

DrCrawdad
01-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
:(:

Atleast I had heard of Uribe and Politte before the Sox got them.

:)

Good one! I had not heard of this guy either.

Does this move get me excited? No. But I can't say that signing Loaiza excited me either. Of course not every move is going to turn into a Esteban-03 type move but this one doesn't hurt.

Hangar18
01-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Jeremy:

Which considering the market size the Sox are in is a 'midlevel' payroll only in their minds and perhaps yours.

Relative to the size of the city of Chicago this is in fact, a 'small market' payroll and mentality.

And lastly considering the median MLB payroll in 2002 was 70 million dollars puts the Sox under what is even considered 'average' (or to use your term midlevel) doesn't it?

Lip

This is whats so Disturbing to me, Makes me want to SCREAM.
were not even at AVG with our 58 mill payroll .....

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This is whats so Disturbing to me, Makes me want to SCREAM.
were not even at AVG with our 58 mill payroll .....

JR will turn the loyal Sox fans into Sox haters; Spend some money cheap ass. Can you all tell how pessimistic I have become over the past three weeks. BeerHandle needs a lot of beer!!

chisox56
01-13-2004, 05:13 PM
The sox should go after darren oliver. He pitched pretty well for the red sox when he was there and he is a free agent. When the white sox sign pitchers that they don't expect much out of the pitchers usually do good.(Cal Eldred-much wasn't expected out of him, Esteban Loaiza-no one expected much out of him, I thought he would do good though when they signed him to the minor league deal.

john2499
01-13-2004, 06:28 PM

Lip

Excellent point !!!

Imagine, for a moment, what life as a Sox fan would be like if they were in the A.L. East.....not very pretty. In fact they would be so far out of contention, before the season even started, that I would have such a feeling of desolation I wouldn't even be wasting my time viewing these boards. What would be the point ?

They are maybe a couple of key players away from attaining a very attainable, division title, and they WON"T even do that. The Marlins proved last year, and the Angels the year before, the best team doesn't always win it all. The Sox weren't the best team last year, but in the playoffs maybe they would've been. Too bad we'll never know.

So why should the media give a damn about the White Sox ? They don't appear to give a damn about themselves.

MarkV
01-13-2004, 06:51 PM
The White Sox are slowly turning into the Blackhawks. Maybe Gammons was right a while back when he said that the Sox can be considered for contraction. Hell, the owners could care less about this team, so why should MLB?

doublem23
01-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by depy48
i guess minor moves are better than no moves at all
right? right! right :(:

Esteban Loaiza was a very minor move last year. I don't even think he was expected to make the roster, let alone the rotation.

doublem23
01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by john2499

So why should the media give a damn about the White Sox ? They don't appear to give a damn about themselves.

I'll agree to an extent. I can see how the national media wouldn't care about the Sox, but they're all a bunch of douchebags anyway who can shove it. Trust me, I'm not envious of attention from Peter Gammons and his ilk.

But when you're own, in city media basically ignores you in favor of an organization that plays in a delapodated piece of ****, scalps its own tickets, and is fronted by a known cheater and wife beater, I think there is some room for complaint.

Given the way we are treated by the Chicago sports media, I'd rather just be ignored. Better than having morons like Mike Downey and Jay Mariotti thrill us with who can be more utterly ridiculous.

john2499
01-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I'll agree to an extent. I can see how the national media wouldn't care about the Sox, but they're all a bunch of douchebags anyway who can shove it. Trust me, I'm not envious of attention from Peter Gammons and his ilk.

But when you're own, in city media basically ignores you in favor of an organization that plays in a delapodated piece of ****, scalps its own tickets, and is fronted by a known cheater and wife beater, I think there is some room for complaint.

Given the way we are treated by the Chicago sports media, I'd rather just be ignored. Better than having morons like Mike Downey and Jay Mariotti thrill us with who can be more utterly ridiculous.

You're right.

What I am really dreading though, is in about 35 days from now we are going to be besieged by the most repugnant barrage of scrubbie blued-om the likes of which we have never seen!!!

A. Cavatica
01-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Esteban Loaiza was a very minor move last year. I don't even think he was expected to make the roster, let alone the rotation.

Yeah, but Loaiza was a much bigger name than Darensbourg. He'd pitched some brilliant games in his career, and I remembered him doing it against us. I was excited when we signed him. I was sure we'd found our #5.

Has Darensbourg ever done anything to warrant even a glimmer of excitement? Has Uribe? Has Dransfeldt?

hftrex
01-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Yeah, but Loaiza was a much bigger name than Darensbourg. He'd pitched some brilliant games in his career, and I remembered him doing it against us. I was excited when we signed him. I was sure we'd found our #5.

Has Darensbourg ever done anything to warrant even a glimmer of excitement? Has Uribe? Has Dransfeldt?

Well, let's wait and see before jumping to any premature conclusions. Remember, at the time of the Brock for Broglio trade, Lou Brock was just another struggling infielder. It wasn't until he received some superior coaching with the St. Louis Cardinals that he really came into his own.

lowesox
01-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Wow, this Vic Darensbourg signing is taking a while to finalize. I hope he's not he's not re-considering one of the other 27 Major League Teams hotly pursuing him.