PDA

View Full Version : Erstadt Rumors Back?


fledgedrallycap
01-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I have read in several locations (nothing credible) that a Paul Konerko deal to the Angels is much more likely now that Vlad is penned. However, not necessarily for Jared Washburn as previously rumored; but for Darrin Erstadt.

Thoughts? Probability?

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Unless a PK trade for anyone involves significant salary dumping, I think JR has made his intentions clear this offseason of not doing a damn thing and going with minor league talent where needed.

:reinsy

"Cause I'm broke. And it's all YOUR fault."

Iwritecode
01-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I have read in several locations (nothing credible) that a Paul Konerko deal to the Angels is much more likely now that Vlad is penned. However, not necessarily for Jared Washburn as previously rumored; but for Darrin Erstadt.

Thoughts? Probability?

I thought they wanted to try and get rid of PK so they could include Damon instead of Nixon in the proposed Boston trade? If they end up getting both Damon and Erstad would one of them play right field instead?

Can Erstad be a lead-off hitter? (Obviously I don't know much about the Angels lineup)

I'm much rather get Washburn for PK instead...

Palehose13
01-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I have read in several locations (nothing credible) that a Paul Konerko deal to the Angels is much more likely now that Vlad is penned. However, not necessarily for Jared Washburn as previously rumored; but for Darrin Erstadt.

Thoughts? Probability?

Interesting. Erstad makes slightly less than Konerko( 04: 7.5, 05: 8.0, 06: 8.5), but is locked up until 2006. He is a much needed lefty bat, and can play CF or 1B which will give us flexibility. However, is he healthy? This could help address two holes (CF and Lefty), but I really want a SP.

JRIG
01-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I have read in several locations (nothing credible) that a Paul Konerko deal to the Angels is much more likely now that Vlad is penned. However, not necessarily for Jared Washburn as previously rumored; but for Darrin Erstadt.

Thoughts? Probability?

My thought is that KW's apparent crazy obsession with aquiring Erstad is argument #1 as to why he is clueless about evaluating talent.

Maximo
01-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I thought they wanted to try and get rid of PK so they could include Damon instead of Nixon in the proposed Boston trade? If they end up getting both Damon and Erstad would one of them play right field instead?

Can Erstad be a lead-off hitter? (Obviously I don't know much about the Angels lineup)

I'm much rather get Washburn for PK instead...


There was a time when Erstad was a pretty good hitter at the top of the order......but that was when Iraq was still being called Mesopatamia.

JRIG
01-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Interesting. Erstad makes slightly less than Konerko( 04: 7.5, 05: 8.0, 06: 8.5), but is locked up until 2006. He is a much needed lefty bat, and can play CF or 1B which will give us flexibility. However, is he healthy? This could help address two holes (CF and Lefty), but I really want a SP.

...and then will open up another hole with his utter inability to be effective as a hitter. He has OPS of .691, .702, and .642 over the past 3 years.

But, oh yes, he is a grinder.

Jerko
01-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Great, the Angels HAD an outfield of Anderson, Erstad, and Salmon, then ADDED Guillen AND Vlad, and we have Lee, Rowand, and maybe not even Maggs. Wonderful. I saw the Angels projected starting linuep and they had Erstad at first and Salmon DH'ing.

Randar68
01-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Great, the Angels HAD an outfield of Anderson, Erstad, and Salmon, then ADDED Guillen AND Vlad, and we have Lee, Rowand, and maybe not even Maggs. Wonderful. I saw the Angels projected starting linuep and they had Erstad at first and Salmon DH'ing.

That would be the only way to keep him healthy. Pin him down at 1B and have Frank as your DH. I'd rather have someone with some speed if all else is equal, and PK and Erstad aren't as terribly different as one might expect.

jeremyb1
01-12-2004, 01:49 PM
I would agree that yes, this seems highly likely. Our organization apparently has an unhealthy obsession with a below average hitting outfielder in Erstad. The salaries would work out well enough because the two players make a similar amount of money over the next two seasons.

As far as the value of this deal I think it'd be a terrible move. Erstad has only had a couple seasons when he's been above average. Sometimes he hits for average but he the last couple seasons he has no plate discipline and no power making him a rather ineffective hitter. He's posted an OPS above .702 once in the past five seasons. He's frequently injured and terribly inconsistent. Konerko has one less season on his deal and the chances he'll bounce back seem much greater than the chances Erstad will.

JasonC23
01-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
My thought is that KW's apparent crazy obsession with aquiring Erstad is argument #1 as to why he is clueless about evaluating talent.

My thoughts exactly.

Dadawg_77
01-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Erstadt major value is his OF D, moving him to first would just be a waste.

That would make a Paul for Darrin trade make a lot of sense, in the fact it allows us to fill one hole in Center, and the Angels fill a hole at first.

Foulke You
01-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Perhaps Konerko is being shopped to Anaheim and insiders just assume we are after Erstad again? I think it more likely that KW is looking for Anaheim to take most of Konerko's salary off his hands so he can get Johnny Damon in the Nomar/Williamson deal. This would make sense since (per Otis) the White Sox taking Damon in the Boston trade is pending KW being able to pawn off Paulie's salary.

I don't see KW taking on Erstad's $7.5 million in a trade with Anaheim because the salary relief would be minimal. Unless the Angels are willing to pay some of Erstad's salary AND take on Konerko's contract. That scenario seems unlikely but slightly possible if the Angels are really high on Konerko and want to rid themselves of Erstad. The new Angels owner seems to have a lot of money and he isn't afraid to spend it.

Palehose13
01-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Erstadt major value is his OF D, moving him to first would just be a waste.

That would make a Paul for Darrin trade make a lot of sense, in the fact it allows us to fill one hole in Center, and the Angels fill a hole at first.

Agreed, but if Frank needs a rest from 1st 1 day/week or whatever Erstad can move to first and Rowand to CF. It gives us a little more flexibility than what we currently have and breaks up the logjam in the OF in Anaheim. It makes sense position wise, but not salary-wise.

MRKARNO
01-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Agreed, but if Frank needs a rest from 1st 1 day/week or whatever Erstad can move to first and Rowand to CF. It gives us a little more flexibility than what we currently have and breaks up the logjam in the OF in Anaheim. It makes sense position wise, but not salary-wise.

Or Ross Gload could play first. And from what I've heard of him, we'd rather have him at first on a given day than Rowand in Center.

We really have 3 major league calibur first basemen in Thomas, Konerko and Gload, so if we could trade Konerko for a CFer, or a 2Ber, we'd be in good shape

kittle42
01-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Or Ross Gload could play first. And from what I've heard of him, we'd rather have him at first on a given day than Rowand in Center.

We really have 3 major league calibur first basemen in Thomas, Konerko and Gload, so if we could trade Konerko for a CFer, or a 2Ber, we'd be in good shape

Ross Gload = Crash Davis