PDA

View Full Version : Whos Going To Soxfest?

soxwon
01-11-2004, 05:53 PM
LETS GET A SHOW OF HANDS WHOS GOING?
IS THERE A SCHEDULE YET?

ILL BE THERE SATURDAY

Daver
01-11-2004, 05:56 PM
The caps lock key is on the far left side of the keyboard.Please hit the button and turn it off.

Viva Magglio
01-11-2004, 05:58 PM
I'll probably be there for the weekend. The only reason I am considering going this year is because I get to spend the weekend at the Hyatt for free.

ewokpelts
01-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Count me in too....
Gene

soxwon
01-11-2004, 06:20 PM
daver its the internet- its intended to be sloppy, thats the glory of it all, to be able to read thru the mistakes or caps.
like sometimes i mean to write you and it comes out yopu, i know its you most eeveryone knows its you.
ok ill watch the caps.

cubhater
01-11-2004, 06:36 PM
My Sox pals and I will be there Sunday, I have no idea who's scheduled to appear.

duke of dorwood
01-11-2004, 06:54 PM
They are not getting my money this year.

TornLabrum
01-11-2004, 07:25 PM
I'll be arriving at about 11:00 a.m. or so Friday morning in order to help set up the Windy City Sox Fans booth downstairs. I'll be leaving sometime after SoxFest ends on Sunday after we tear down the booth.

Stop by and pull a pencil for a buck and win a prize. I just spent most of yesterday paining pencil tips for that. The money goes to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities (Billy Pierce's charity).

You'll probably also see me in the atrium bar one or both nights drinking diet cokes. (Damn high cholesterol count!)

Hangar18
01-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Its a week or 2 early for this Thread, but I will be there
Friday Nite AND Saturday. I will also be in the Atrium Bar
after SoxFest BOTH nites ..... Look forward to meeting
some of you that I havnt met yet. And Ive met quite a few
of you already.

HITMEN OF 77
01-11-2004, 08:38 PM
I'll be there! Flying in on Thursday afternoon and flying out Monday afternoon, can't wait! I guess the bar is the place to be afterward. Do they have Meister Brau? :gulp:

mike squires
01-11-2004, 08:54 PM
I've mentioned this a few times before but unfortunatly I will not be in attendence this year. Having just had a baby, we just can't afford it. I've detailed my Soxfest experience the last two years~~one got post of the week. :D: so I expect a full story from many of you!

DukeOC
01-11-2004, 09:32 PM
This will be the first time I'll be going to Soxfest, I'll be there on Saturday morning.

:bluesbros

Daver
01-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by DukeOC
This will be the first time I'll be going to Soxfest, I'll be there on Saturday morning.

:bluesbros

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Hangar18
01-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
I've mentioned this a few times before but unfortunatly I will not be in attendence this year. Having just had a baby, we just can't afford it. I've detailed my Soxfest experience the last two years~~one got post of the week. :D: so I expect a full story from many of you!

at least come to the Bar Party on Sat Nite ! and congrats

Dick Allen
01-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Won't be there for the first time in a long time. I'd rather have a root canal right now.

mike squires
01-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
at least come to the Bar Party on Sat Nite ! and congrats

Just can't do it Hanger. I live in Champaign and it would be just too much of a hassle to travel to chi-town. Shoot, i may even have to work, i'm not sure yet. Anyway...have a good time and drink one for me. I always regret not hanging out with you guys the past few years at the atrium. Maybe someday!

Hondo
01-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Hey y'all,
I'll be there the whole weekend. Considering the sorry state of our team the actual event doesn't do much for me right now.
I do however look forward to consuming tasty beverages at night in the atrium bar fri. and sat.
This will be the first time I've met any of you so I hope we have as much witty banter and vitriolic discussions as we do on here.

With hope this finds you well,
Daniel

WLL1855
01-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Nobody here has ever met me (I live downstate), but I'll be there with a friend of mine and his family all weekend. Can't beat the price for a weekend in the city.

I'll make it a point to hit the bar and get acquainted with you guys.

HITMEN OF 77
01-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by WLL1855
Nobody here has ever met me (I live downstate), but I'll be there with a friend of mine and his family all weekend. Can't beat the price for a weekend in the city.

I'll make it a point to hit the bar and get acquainted with you guys.

Look forward to meeting you, it will be my first time attending too! Should be a blast.

cheeses_h_rice
01-11-2004, 11:43 PM
For the first time in a few years, I'm not planning on going. Really, what exactly has this team given us fans to get excited about for the upcoming season?

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
For the first time in a few years, I'm not planning on going. Really, what exactly has this team given us fans to get excited about for the upcoming season?

Ditto. I have much better things to waste my $100 on (split 3-ways) besides a team that don't care about itself or it's fans.

StillMissOzzie
01-12-2004, 03:10 AM
I'll probably be there Friday & Saturday, and maybe Sunday too. I'd like to meet some of you in the bar Friday night, if I can go to SoxFest without my son...

SMO
:gulp:

Fisk72
01-12-2004, 08:16 AM
My fiancee got us a stay at the hotel Friday nite and it comes with admission to the fest. I think it'll be Saturday that we'll be going, but I'm not positive about it. Either way, it'll be my first time and I'm sure I'll be all giddy like a schoolgirl despite the bag of dog poop that management gave us fans for christmas.

Palehose13
01-12-2004, 08:48 AM
I hope to lose my SoxFest virginity this year!

Brian26
01-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Geezuz some of you guys are depressing.

Hope springs eternal at Soxfest. Come on, for the simple fact that it's February 1st and freezing outside, it's a fun time to get out of the house and do something baseball related. And who doesn't like walking around and at least looking at some of the old Sox memorabilia at the booths? Some of the vendors do a really good job with their setups, and it's a blast looking at the old cards and photos. Nobody is forcing you to spend a ton of money on the '77 Oscar Gamble road jersey. But it's something to do on a cold Saturday afternoon in Chicago.

Brian26
01-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I hope to lose my SoxFest virginity this year!

As a great man once said, "It always hurts the first time."

Hangar18
01-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Brian26

Come on, for the simple fact that it's February 1st and freezing outside, it's a fun time to get out of the house and do something baseball related.

Yeah, the fun part is drinking and hanging out with all of you
afterwards in the Atrium afterwards....

Palehose13
01-12-2004, 09:11 AM

It sure does! :o:

Iwritecode
01-12-2004, 09:51 AM

I think it was a great woman that said that.

If you're a man and it hurts, you're not doing it right...

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 10:40 AM

Hope springs eternal at Soxfest. Come on, for the simple fact that it's February 1st and freezing outside, it's a fun time to get out of the house and do something baseball related. And who doesn't like walking around and at least looking at some of the old Sox memorabilia at the booths? Some of the vendors do a really good job with their setups, and it's a blast looking at the old cards and photos. Nobody is forcing you to spend a ton of money on the '77 Oscar Gamble road jersey. But it's something to do on a cold Saturday afternoon in Chicago.

I don't have a problem spending money at some of the vendor booths..... even though a small portion probably goes into the pockets of El Cheapo. I have a problem spending a little over $100 on the weekend when management doesn't give a rat's ass about the fans. I was at SoxFest in '03. Considering the same players that were there last year will be there this year, oops..... I forgot about the possible Uribe appearance ..... I'll go on the cheap and follow the precedent set by my favorite baseball team's owner. What does it say about a team's Fan Fest when the biggest news in the offseason is stadium renovations? I think it says, "pathetic."

Jerry can take someone else's money and scream poor from now on. Until he sells or this team has a legit shot at winning something, I'm done.

I can get all the baseball I need in February here..... and not a penny goes to JR.....

:reinsy

"Yet! MUAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!"

Palehose13
01-12-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm going because I have never been before and I would like to experience it and I would love to meet many people from this board.

Tekijawa
01-12-2004, 10:44 AM
I'll be there saturday and Sunday...

Iwritecode
01-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
What does it say about a team's Fan Fest when the biggest news in the offseason is stadium renovations? I think it says, "pathetic."

Wasn't Hangar looking for something to put on his signs he plans on bringing to Soxfest? I think this fits pretty nicely.

POTW???

HITMEN OF 77
01-12-2004, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian26

Hope springs eternal at Soxfest. Come on, for the simple fact that it's February 1st and freezing outside, it's a fun time to get out of the house and do something baseball related. And who doesn't like walking around and at least looking at some of the old Sox memorabilia at the booths? Some of the vendors do a really good job with their setups, and it's a blast looking at the old cards and photos. Nobody is forcing you to spend a ton of money on the '77 Oscar Gamble road jersey. But it's something to do on a cold Saturday afternoon in Chicago. [/QUOTI

I agree! Now that '77 Gamble jersey would fit nicely into my gamer collection, good thing my girlfriend is coming, she has all the money.. :D:

gosox41
01-12-2004, 08:12 PM

As I stated earlier, if this Sox team remains as is, the only thing Sox fans will be hoping for this season is the Cubs to lose and the Sox to break 75 wins.

I won't get my hopes up anymore about this team until they show me some moves that make them legit contenders in the weakest division in baseball. The last think I want to hear is a phony love fest. I've seen it the last 3 years. It took me that long, but I'm not falling for it anymore.

Bob

Brian26
01-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Just posted on Whitesox.com:

Scheduled to appear:

Caballo, Valentin, Loaiza, Buehrle, Ozzie, Rowand, Harris, Olivo, Wunsch.

Former players: Hoyt, Britt Burns, Kevin Hickey, Hawk, Farmio, Melton, Cora, Black Jack, Thiggy.

Should be a fun weekend.

mike squires
01-12-2004, 09:22 PM

Scheduled to appear:

Former players: Hoyt, Britt Burns, Kevin Hickey, Hawk, Farmio, Melton, Cora, Black Jack, Thiggy.

Should be a fun weekend.

Hmmm, no Frank or Maggs huh? Interesting. Frank can be kind of stubborn when it comes to these kind of things but usually ends up going. If I recall, he was a late addition last year.

Maggs on the other hand is suspicious. KW must have told them to wait to put him on the roster in case he is traded. He has been to the last few anyway and is figured to be a big draw.

Brian26
01-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Maggs on the other hand is suspicious. KW must have told them to wait to put him on the roster in case he is traded. He has been to the last few anyway and is figured to be a big draw.

Frank always shows up last minute for at least one signing. Was Mags there last year? I don't remember for sure. It might be inconvenient for him since he doesn't live here during the offseason.

mike squires
01-12-2004, 11:35 PM
maggs was there 2 years ago, but I believe only for the opening night ceremonies and one autograph session. last year, he was there the entire weekend.

mike squires
01-12-2004, 11:41 PM

Scheduled to appear:

Should be a fun weekend.

did blacjjack hang out at the bar at all last year?

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 11:55 PM

Didn't see him there at all last year but he was available to the fans unrestricted during the Saturday night get together in the banquet room. Made time for everyone.

voodoochile
01-13-2004, 12:39 AM
I'll be there for the post mortem party at least one night - probably Friday.

HITMEN OF 77
01-13-2004, 12:53 AM
On the Sox site, they show Maggs signing autographs from a previous year. Must be some sort of sales tatic, bait and switch? Can't wait to meet Beltin, but no Konerko? :(:

CubKilla
01-13-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
Can't wait to meet Beltin, but no Konerko? :(:

Just about everyone mentioned in a trade rumor isn't listed as attending. I'm sure Konerko, Thomas, Botch, Maggs, et al will be in attendance if they are still a member of Chicago's other baseball team. After all, Chicago's always been a Cubs town.

:reinsy

"And don't you forget that!"

Brian26
01-13-2004, 09:48 AM

Yes, he was there on Friday night.

Brian26
01-13-2004, 09:50 AM
Question for anyone who collects autographed balls...

If you were going to get Hoyt and McDowell, how would you do them? Separate balls since both are Cy Young award winners? Do you get Hoyt and Burns on the same ball since they're both from '83? Would you get Caballo on his own ball? How about Loaiza?

Hangar18
01-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Didn't see him there at all last year but he was available to the fans unrestricted during the Saturday night get together in the banquet room. Made time for everyone.

He WASNT available for everyone. My nephew and younger cousin tried to say HI to him, but some "pushy lady with nice clothes" shooed them off and said he wanted private time.
Was a bit disappointing for them, but Im sure it wasnt his fault.

mike squires
01-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Brian~My goal was to get as many 83 players on my seat and a ball as possible. I got 18 players on my seat and 14 or so on the ball. If you get Baines, Burns and Hoyt on one ball I think that would be pretty nice. Considering they were both dominating pitchers that year it would be cool to have them on one ball. If you have a Dotson ball from last year you could get Baines, Hickey, Hoyt and Burns to add to it. I guess it is just a personal preference. Otherwise, Personally, I don't like more than one player on a ball. I would definately get Lee and Loaiza seperatly. Are you going with someone else. I always have my wife get another one on their card or something in addition to the ball.

A question similar to yours: Would you add Hawk Harrelson to the seat I have with the 83 players? Or should I just keep it with just the players? I was thinking about adding him too it just because he was a part of that magical season.

mike squires
01-13-2004, 10:20 AM
He WASNT available for everyone. My nephew and younger cousin tried to say HI to him, but some "pushy lady with nice clothes" shooed them off and said he wanted private time.
Was a bit disappointing for them, but Im sure it wasnt his fault.

It wasn't that annoying brunette was it? There was this one lady wearing leather pants a few years ago who was always kind of pushy. I always see her in the guest relations booth at Comiskey. I know that is her job, but there's something about her I don't like. For starter she shouldn't have been wearing the leather pants. :o:

Hangar18
01-13-2004, 10:24 AM
It wasn't that annoying brunette was it? There was this one lady wearing leather pants a few years ago who was always kind of pushy. I always see her in the guest relations booth at Comiskey. I know that is her job, but there's something about her I don't like. For starter she shouldn't have been wearing the leather pants. :o:

I dont know, I was sitting down, but my nephew and cousin said
she was "dressed really nice" and was very Pushy, they thought it was probably his Wife or GF. Im sure it was, but I didnt see
her push them away ............

ewokpelts
01-13-2004, 10:47 AM
I dont know, I was sitting down, but my nephew and cousin said
she was "dressed really nice" and was very Pushy, they thought it was probably his Wife or GF. Im sure it was, but I didnt see
her push them away ............
ask black jack to sign one of his cds, and you'll get a whole different reaction.....
Gene

p.s. his band's pretty good

joepoe
01-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by soxwon
IS THERE A SCHEDULE YET?

ILL BE THERE SATURDAY

I will be there Friday night just for the kosher hot dogs.

chisoxmike
01-13-2004, 11:28 AM
I'll be at SoxFest '04, this will be my first time since the '96 SoxFest. Don't know what to expect or see, but this for sure, Ozzie and KW getting grilled at the Q & A's.

-mike

steff
01-13-2004, 12:11 PM

Friday night he did for a bit.

Palehose13
01-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
ask black jack to sign one of his cds, and you'll get a whole different reaction.....
Gene

p.s. his band's pretty good
What's the name of his band? I have an autograph "Freetown" poster somewhere...

mike squires
01-13-2004, 01:46 PM
His band is Stickfigure. He has a websight Stickfigure.com (i think) read his interview in the archive section on this sight. His influences are R.E.M and more recently Wilco.

Brian26
01-13-2004, 01:48 PM
What's the name of his band? I have an autograph "Freetown" poster somewhere...

Stickfigure. Not bad either. Some of his tunes hold up a lot better than his ERA did in the '93 ALCS. :D:

Iwritecode
01-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Just to sum up this thread a little, here is who I have so far as being at Soxfest for at least one day (or in Voodoo’s case, one night in the bar).

In no particular order:

Steff
Voodoo
Hangar18
Viva Magglio
soxwon
ewokpelts
cubhater
TornLabrum @ the Windy City Sox Fans booth
HITMEN OF 77 (all the way from Washington I might add)
DukeOC
Hondo
WLL1855
StillMissOzzie
Fisk72
Palehose13
Brian26
Tekijawa
joepoe
chisoxmike
whitesoxwilkes

21 people including myself. Not a bad showing IMO.

I know there is one other guy that I ran into twice last year. Once at Soxfest and once in the upperdeck at one of the games. He told me his username but I can’t remember it now. I talked to him both times because he was wearing a WSI shirt. He said he doesn’t post on here much though…

Will our esteemed leader be there at all? Possibly make an apperance at the WSI get-together in the bar either Friday or Saturday night? I’m sure a number of us would like to meet the man who put together this wonderful site for us all.

Cheeses, how come you’re not gonna be there? I know we missed each other at the game last year. You still owe me a drink you know… :smile:

Did I miss anyone?

whitesoxwilkes
01-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Did I miss anyone?

Yep. I'm one of the founding members of the WSI beer rountable in the atrium bar, and will be there again this year.

:)

Iwritecode
01-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Yep. I'm one of the founding members of the WSI beer rountable in the atrium bar, and will be there again this year.

The list has been edited accordingly.

cheeses_h_rice
01-13-2004, 03:37 PM

Cheeses, how come you’re not gonna be there? I know we missed each other at the game last year. You still owe me a drink you know… :smile:

I'll think about it. I just haven't been in any sort of Sox mode of late, and I am not planning on going to the Fest itself. But yeah, I do owe you a soda, so perhaps I'll head out....

Tekijawa
01-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Do they take out-of-state second Party Checks at the bar?

voodoochile
01-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

Only if you're under 21 and have a fake ID...

steff
01-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Will our esteemed leader be there at all?

I'll be there... :D:

Also, the Aloha's will be there, too.

JDP
01-13-2004, 04:26 PM
I'd like to go again, but I don't think I'm legally able to anymore ever since I started working for the Yankee's organization.

Post some pictures or something for those that aren't going.

steff
01-13-2004, 04:28 PM

Ahhh.. this reminds me. Jim and I will NOT have an open tab this year. I had to sacrafice half a Prada purse for last years bar tab!! :angry:

thepaulbowski
01-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Question for anyone who collects autographed balls...

If you were going to get Hoyt and McDowell, how would you do them? Separate balls since both are Cy Young award winners? Do you get Hoyt and Burns on the same ball since they're both from '83? Would you get Caballo on his own ball? How about Loaiza?

Personally I would put all of them on the sweet spot on their own balls. Especially Hoyt & McDowell and have them sign the cy young year. Burns & Hoyt would be an interesting combo, but I'd stick with seperate balls for each, including Caballo & E Lo.

mike squires
01-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Personally I would put all of them on the sweet spot on their own balls. Especially Hoyt & McDowell and have them sign the cy young year. Burns & Hoyt would be an interesting combo, but I'd stick with seperate balls for each, including Caballo & E Lo.

NOthing like the sweet spot on their own balls!! Not sure if I'd put them up on my shelf though. :)

Brian26
01-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

Thanks for the opinion. I was thinking about having Hoyt and Black Jack put their Cy Young years on them, too. I know Frank always signs stuff with "'93/'94 AL MVP". Last year, PK, Crede and Borchard all put their uniform numbers, which was also a nice touch. Here's the million dollar question: Do I try to track down an AL ball from '83 for Hoyt and an AL ball from '93 for McDowell, or just use the MLB ball from this year?

Brian26
01-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by steff
Ahhh.. this reminds me. Jim and I will NOT have an open tab this year. I had to sacrafice half a Prada purse for last years bar tab!! :angry:

Hahaha. An open tab in the atrium bar is a recipe for disaster. It's always tough to check the balance at the end of the night after 8 or 9 cosmos. $400 for drinks? Ok, here's my credit card.

mike squires
01-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the opinion. I was thinking about having Hoyt and Black Jack put their Cy Young years on them, too. I know Frank always signs stuff with "'93/'94 AL MVP". Last year, PK, Crede and Borchard all put their uniform numbers, which was also a nice touch. Here's the million dollar question: Do I try to track down an AL ball from '83 for Hoyt and an AL ball from '93 for McDowell, or just use the MLB ball from this year?

If you plan on selling them get the other balls (but, how would you know if it was from 83, if it was official?....If it's for your collection, I don't think it matters much, IMO.

Brian26
01-13-2004, 07:36 PM
If you plan on selling them get the other balls (but, how would you know if it was from 83, if it was official?....If it's for your collection, I don't think it matters much, IMO.

Well, the '83 and '93 balls could be narrowed down to at least a few years. The American League President's name used to be on the balls. So whomever the president was in '83 (Lee McPhail?)...and then in '93 (Bobby Brown?). I'd have to check those. The other option would be to try to track down an '83 All-Star Game Ball.

HITMEN OF 77
01-13-2004, 07:40 PM

They will always be worth more and a lot more original if you get them signed on league ball from there respective era. I don't know who was comish in '83 or '93 (I think Brown at least he is on my '92 signed team ball) but I know on my '71 '72 and '73 team signed White Sox balls there are Cronin's OAL, I'm pretty sure. Anyone can go to Soxfest and get Black Jack to sign a OL ball, but if you have him sign a Brown OAL ball then you have something IMO.

southsidegirl
01-13-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm going. Not that anybody cares.

Hosey22
01-13-2004, 08:53 PM
I don't think I could live with myself if i didn't go. As dismal as things seem right now, I always get excited when the sox close in on the opener. I'm off at school, but i think i'll bust my ass to get back in, probably for part of saturday, and part of sunday. Not that it's going to be easy, but, it's the sox, nothing is easy.

JDP
01-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Are the only people that get replies to their remarks those with x-amount of posts?

southsidegirl
01-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Yea, nobody ever responds to my posts. I think it's cuz I'm 13 and female.

Palehose13
01-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
I don't know if that's fair. Age doesn't matter as long as you appear to now what you are talking about, and these guys definitely aren't sexist. I think they respond to me and the other females on the board as if they were responding to any other poster.

JGarlandrules20
01-13-2004, 09:56 PM

Younger fans representing! hah..but yeah. I dont think it has anything to do with being female, it's more about age if anything. We haven't been sox fans as long(duh), we don't know as many older players, and we're not as familar with the game.. I guess you could say.. so sometimes it's a disadvantage when we post. For like this topic, it's not like we are going to be at the bar after soxfest.

But I am going to soxfest Friday..... :smile:

ewokpelts
01-13-2004, 09:57 PM

and why not?
Gene

ewokpelts
01-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by JGarlandrules20
Younger fans representing! hah..but yeah. I dont think it has anything to do with being female, it's more about age if anything. We haven't been sox fans as long(duh), we don't know as many older players, and we're not as familar with the game.. I guess you could say.. so sometimes it's a disadvantage when we post. For like this topic, it's not like we are going to be at the bar after soxfest.

it may have more to do with someone not wanting to qoute you...nothing more...nothing less....as for being younger fans "not knowing much"...you can always blame uncle jerry.....but you can correct that...ther's lot's of great history links on this site, and the offical site has some history too....OR.....you can sit in some of the seminars at soxfest...hawk's always tells a good yarn.....and fellow fans(including any in your family) can fill you in....
Gene

Brian26
01-13-2004, 10:07 PM

When Jerry The King Lawler and Jerry Lee Lewis start posting on WSI, I'm sure you will become very popular.

TornLabrum
01-13-2004, 10:08 PM
it may have more to do with someone not wanting to qoute you...nothing more...nothing less....as for being younger fans "not knowing much"...you can always blame uncle jerry.....but you can correct that...ther's lot's of great history links on this site, and the offical site has some history too....OR.....you can sit in some of the seminars at soxfest...hawk's always tells a good yarn.....and fellow fans(including any in your family) can fill you in....
Gene

Fans in the family is a great way to learn about the Sox. I remember when I was learning about the game, my grandpa would tell me stories about Ed Walsh, Joe Jackson, Buck Weaver, etc. Being a curious sort, I'd go out and try to find anything I could about the history of the team.

As for keeping up with the then-current crop of players both on the Sox and around the majors, I used to devour the Street & Smith's yearbooks. (I started reading those when I was in first grade, I think.) Shoot, most of my recreactional reading nearly fifty years later is baseball related.

Brian26
01-13-2004, 10:11 PM
hawk's always tells a good yarn

I always mark out for his stories about Yaz. In particular, and I've probably heard him tell this one 5 or 6 times, the night he and Yaz got blitzed and broke into Fenway in their pajamas and taped off the Monster at 295' down the line instead of the "official" distance.

JGarlandrules20
01-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Gene

I guess I could but that's like a lot different from actually experiencing it. And as for family, what if your family aren't sox fans/ aren't baseball fans?(like mine for example)

One thing good about being a younger fan...... we have more of a chance of seeing the white sox win a world series. :D:

TornLabrum
01-13-2004, 10:17 PM
I guess I could but that's like a lot different from actually experiencing it. And as for family, what if your family aren't sox fans/ aren't baseball fans?(like mine for example)

Find someone older who is or read books by Rich Lindberg.

Brian26
01-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
As for keeping up with the then-current crop of players both on the Sox and around the majors, I used to devour the Street & Smith's yearbooks. (I started reading those when I was in first grade, I think.) Shoot, most of my recreactional reading nearly fifty years later is baseball related.

I think I learned the most about baseball as a youngster by just collecting and sorting baseball cards (back when they were affordable).

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-13-2004, 10:18 PM

One thing good about being a younger fan...... we have more of a chance of seeing the white sox win a world series. :D:

thanks for making my day. :)

edit: to stay on topic, I MIGHT be going. Depends if my dad can go or not, but I'd love to go if I can.

ewokpelts
01-13-2004, 11:01 PM
I think I learned the most about baseball as a youngster by just collecting and sorting baseball cards (back when they were affordable).

well...depends on what ur buyin....u can still get [acks around a buck, or get a whole set for 25-45(depends on what set u want)Gene

Iwritecode
01-13-2004, 11:43 PM
OK, cut and paste time. Here's the updated list...

Steff
Voodoo
Hangar18
Viva Magglio
soxwon
ewokpelts
cubhater
DukeOC
Hondo
WLL1855
StillMissOzzie
Fisk72
Palehose13
Brian26
Tekijawa
joepoe
chisoxmike
whitesoxwilkes
Cheeses (maybe)
Mr and Mrs. Aloha
southsidegirl
JGarlandrules20
ChiWhiteSox1337 (maybe)

24 people including myself plus two maybes. When you figure in friends, husbands, wifes, etc... there's probably close to 100 people affiliated with WSI (or at least knows somebody that is) that will be there. Wow.

You've been added to the list. Hope to meet you there!

Obviously I'll take this as a sign that I won't be meeting you at the bar on Friday night... :D:

Originally posted by JDP
Are the only people that get replies to their remarks those with x-amount of posts?

It's not so much how many posts you have as how well the other posters get to know your personality. Sometimes it only takes a few posts. Others it may take a couple hundred.

If you make a good point and get a good conversation going, it doesn't matter who you are or how many posts you have.

Hell, I have over 2600 posts and have been here for about 3 years and still get ignored sometimes. With as many members as we have, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle sometimes too.

I don't know if that's fair. Age doesn't matter as long as you appear to now what you are talking about, and these guys definitely aren't sexist. I think they respond to me and the other females on the board as if they were responding to any other poster.

I honestly didn't even know you were a female. Not like it really matters. We are all the same on a message board.

Hope to see you there too. Just look for the guy with long hair and a goatee that looks like a truck driver (at least that's what I've been told).

Soxfan7070
01-14-2004, 12:38 AM
I plan on being there unless I need to go save the world that weekend! :)

starboy0
01-14-2004, 06:31 AM
Add me to the list. I'm attending my first Soxfest! Yeeeehaaawww!

steff
01-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Hahaha. An open tab in the atrium bar is a recipe for disaster. It's always tough to check the balance at the end of the night after 8 or 9 cosmos. $400 for drinks? Ok, here's my credit card.

Wouldn't be so much of a disaster if people were kind enough to reach into their pockets at the end of the night.. There were 13 DEFFERENT drinks on the tab that night, with only 4 people that were supposed to be on the tab. What were we supposed to do when it was time to leave.. ? Say no and not pay it? Make a scene..? Naa.. we're not like that. But we remember...

Palehose13
01-14-2004, 08:53 AM
I honestly didn't even know you were a female. Not like it really matters. We are all the same on a message board.
Darn! That could have been a good shocker at da Fest! :D:

Dan H
01-14-2004, 09:19 AM
I will be attending on Saturday and would be interested in talking to any fan who has stories that could be used in my up coming Sox book. I may not use information directly but I am open to anyone who would like to talk about a speical memory at the ballpark. Fans have already contributed some great stuff by e-mail and by phone, and I think that fans are sometimes the best historians. I will be wearing a white shirt with a picture of my last book cover on the back.(Through Hope and Despair.) Thanks for any help.

voodoochile
01-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Wouldn't be so much of a disaster if people were kind enough to reach into their pockets at the end of the night.. There were 13 DEFFERENT drinks on the tab that night, with only 4 people that were supposed to be on the tab. What were we supposed to do when it was time to leave.. ? Say no and not pay it? Make a scene..? Naa.. we're not like that. But we remember...

Just FYI, every person at that table offered Jim money for drinks or tip (at least Wilkes, Hal and I did that I am aware of). He refused us all.

But, beyond all of that first ones on me, Steff and let's have some fun...

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Steff
Voodoo
Hangar18
Viva Magglio
soxwon
ewokpelts
cubhater
DukeOC
Hondo
WLL1855
StillMissOzzie
Fisk72
Palehose13
Brian26
Tekijawa
joepoe
chisoxmike
whitesoxwilkes
Cheeses (maybe)
Mr and Mrs. Aloha
southsidegirl
JGarlandrules20
ChiWhiteSox1337 (maybe)
Soxfan7070
starboy0
Dan H
Mickster

Four more names added.

Steff, how many tables are you planning to push together? :)

Hangar18
01-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Steff
Voodoo
Hangar18
Viva Magglio
soxwon
ewokpelts
cubhater
DukeOC
Hondo
WLL1855
StillMissOzzie
Fisk72
Palehose13
Brian26
Tekijawa
joepoe
chisoxmike
whitesoxwilkes
Cheeses (maybe)
Mr and Mrs. Aloha
southsidegirl
JGarlandrules20
ChiWhiteSox1337 (maybe)
Soxfan7070
starboy0
Dan H

Three more names added.

Thats an excellent List ......THanks for doing that IWC.
Steff, that wont Happen again, though I do remember what VooDoo Said. I'll set you guys up also..... O)

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 11:50 AM
OK, I know I asked this same question last year, but I'm too lazy to look up the posts...

For those of you in the city, does this look like pretty descent directions?

Merge onto I-90 E toward CHICAGO (Portions toll).

Take the EXPRESS LANES exit on the left toward ARMITAGE AVE.

Merge onto I-90 EXPRESS LN/I-94 EXPRESS LN/KENNEDY EXPRESS LN.

Take the EAST OHIO ST exit.

Stay straight to go onto W OHIO ST.

Turn RIGHT onto N LA SALLE BLVD/N LA SALLE ST. Continue to follow N LA SALLE ST.

Turn LEFT onto W UPPER WACKER DR/W WACKER DR.

End at 151 E WACKER DR CHICAGO IL

I'm not really sure about that part where I'd have to merge onto the express lanes. I know I've seen them a number of times but I don't think I've actually used them. Aren't they closed sometimes also?

Brian26
01-14-2004, 11:52 AM

Really, really difficult situation. You guys did the right thing, though. See you at Soxfest! I'll buy you guys a round too.

(Last year Rich Dotson bought for me.)

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 11:52 AM
BTW...

:tomatoaward

voodoochile
01-14-2004, 12:00 PM
OK, I know I asked this same question last year, but I'm too lazy to look up the posts...

For those of you in the city, does this look like pretty descent directions?

I'm not really sure about that part where I'd have to merge onto the express lanes. I know I've seen them a number of times but I don't think I've actually used them. Aren't they closed sometimes also?

A few notes on this first section:

Merge onto I-90 E toward CHICAGO (Portions toll).

Take the EXPRESS LANES exit on the left toward ARMITAGE AVE.

Merge onto I-90 EXPRESS LN/I-94 EXPRESS LN/KENNEDY EXPRESS LN.

The express lanes may or may not be open coming into the city at the time you arrive. Keep your eyes open. They are reverse flow lanes that sometimes run toward the loop and sometimes toward O'Hare. The signs will be very clear, so it is hard to miss and you would have to crash through 20 barricades or so to end up entering them when the traffic flow is against you, so you don't have to worry.

With or without the express lanes you are looking for the Ohio exit. You can forget the Armitage stuff, you can exit at Ohio from either the local or express lanes. Just get off there.

These are pretty good generic directions for the trip through downtown:

Take the EAST OHIO ST exit. (I am pretty sure there is no West Ohio exit, so just exit at Ohio and you should be good)

Stay straight to go onto W OHIO ST. (redundant, you cannot do otherwise)

Turn RIGHT onto N LA SALLE BLVD/N LA SALLE ST. Continue to follow N LA SALLE ST.

Turn LEFT onto W UPPER WACKER DR/W WACKER DR.

End at 151 E WACKER DR CHICAGO IL

Mickster
01-14-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm in as well, along with the ball and chain.... :D:

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The express lanes may or may not be open coming into the city at the time you arrive. Keep your eyes open. They are reverse flow lanes that sometimes run toward the loop and sometimes toward O'Hare. The signs will be very clear, so it is hard to miss and you would have to crash through 20 barricades or so to end up entering them when the traffic flow is against you, so you don't have to worry.

No wonder I never take them. Crashing into barricades isn't really my thing. I have taken out a signpost, some bushes and a big blue USPS mailbox though... :o: Luckily it was all with a 1980 camaro that was all metal. I beat the crap out of that thing and it never got a dent.

[BWith or without the express lanes you are looking for the Ohio exit. You can forget the Armitage stuff, you can exit at Ohio from either the local or express lanes. Just get off there.[/B]

I was looking at the map and that's kinda what I was thinking. That's good to know then.

I remember last year I had different directions on how to get there. It had me take an exit south of the hotel and then swing back around north. These directions seem a little better.

Thanks Voodoo!

steff
01-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Just FYI, every person at that table offered Jim money for drinks or tip (at least Wilkes, Hal and I did that I am aware of). He refused us all.

But, beyond all of that first ones on me, Steff and let's have some fun...

We've been over this already... Hal had 2 (maybe just 1?) beers, Kris and Mike are not an issue.. and I could have sworn you and I settled up on this as well.... There were some folks that were not with us at the tables, but standing behind us against the wall that took advantage.

steff
01-14-2004, 12:27 PM

No idea.. I do know that Jim and I will likely be in the Q&A till the end so if anyone goes into the bar first and wants to move some together, go nuts. I think we had 3 or 4 together last year..?

steff
01-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Steff, that wont Happen again, though I do remember what VooDoo Said. I'll set you guys up also..... O)

Please guys... especially those of you we see all year long... there's no need. You know the type of people we are. We're over it. I simply made the comment so that if anyone planning to join us was part of the group that got some free drinks last year... they are aware that we've made arrangements so that will not be happening this year.

Hondo
01-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Would it be tacky if I brought a flask in to the atrium bar?

Just so you know I won't be buying too many rounds on the account of me being...
what's that word I'm looking for?....
POOR.

But I can't wait to meet some of you guys and am looking forward to imbibing some tasty libations with y'all.

22 isn't just my age but the dollar amount in my bank account,

Daniel

steff
01-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Would it be tacky if I brought a flask in to the atrium bar?

Just so you know I won't be buying too many rounds on the account of me being...
what's that word I'm looking for?....
POOR.

But I can't wait to meet some of you guys and am looking forward to imbibing some tasty libations with y'all.

22 isn't just my age but the dollar amount in my bank account,

Daniel

A round for 30 is quite expensive...

Suggestion... everyone buy your own drinks and do not.. I repeat do NOT offer to buy a "round"...

JKryl
01-14-2004, 12:45 PM
I'll be there Friday, but only because I promised my son a Sox jersey. Otherwise, for the effort the've put into the off season this year, they don't deserve it. Can this be considered child abuse? I admit it, I'm hooked. :angry:

Hondo
01-14-2004, 12:47 PM
A round for 30 is quite expensive...

Suggestion... everyone buy your own drinks and do not.. I repeat do NOT offer to buy a "round"...

Steff,
Should we put you in charge of holding onto people's cash and credit cards? :D:

steff
01-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Steff,
Should we put you in charge of holding onto people's cash and credit cards? :D:

To be honest.. I would want no part of that. If we were to have some sort of kitty it wouldn't be fair to those that drink faster than others.. or more expensive drinks.. etc, etc..

It really is just better for everyone to be separate in a crowd of that size.

Hondo
01-14-2004, 12:54 PM
To be honest.. I would want no part of that. If we were to have some sort of kitty it wouldn't be fair to those that drink faster than others.. or more expensive drinks.. etc, etc..

It really is just better for everyone to be separate in a crowd of that size.

Agreed. I just thought It'd be funny if you took peoples' wallets and purses after a few drinks so they wouldn't start buying drinks.

I'm sure this has been brought up so I apologize but do players/ex-players show up to the bar? Is it going to be packed with a lot of people not attending soxfest or what?

steff
01-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Agreed. I just thought It'd be funny if you took peoples' wallets and purses after a few drinks so they wouldn't start buying drinks.

I'm sure this has been brought up so I apologize but do players/ex-players show up to the bar? Is it going to be packed with a lot of people not attending soxfest or what?

Oh.. if someone wants to GIVE me their $$.. I'll gladly take care of it... there's this fabulous Louis Vuitton purse I've been.. whoops.. nevermind :D:

And yes.. many of the fest participants stop by the bar for a few drinks. Some head out to other places, some stay all night. It's a good time either way.

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
I'm in as well, along with the ball and chain.... :D:

You've been added.

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 01:05 PM

I thought you were supposed to take their keys when they started drinking... :cool:

How much do the drinks cost there anyway?

Around here they usually between $1 (dollar nights) and $6 depending on which bar you go to.

Brian26
01-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Around here they usually between $1 (dollar nights) and $6 depending on which bar you go to.

Heh. Downtown that should cover the tip per drink.

fogie
01-14-2004, 01:18 PM
I will be their all three days

Fogie

whitesoxwilkes
01-14-2004, 02:05 PM
I thought you were supposed to take their keys when they started drinking... :cool:

How much do the drinks cost there anyway?

You're looking at at LEAST 4.50 for a domestic bottle.

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 02:17 PM
You're looking at at LEAST 4.50 for a domestic bottle.

I figured as much. That's one problem with my visiting Chicago.
The standard of living is so much higher compared to Rockford.

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 02:22 PM
I figured as much. That's one problem with my visiting Chicago.
The standard of living is so much higher compared to Rockford.

Anywhere compaired to Rockford has a much higher standard of living! Weren't you guys voted one of the worst cities in the nation to live in a few years back?

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Anywhere compaired to Rockford has a much higher standard of living! Weren't you guys voted one of the worst cities in the nation to live in a few years back?

Close. We were number 498 on the list of 500 most desirable places to live. I'm actually surprised we made the list at all...

We were also listed as having the "most affordable housing". If you see the houses and the neighborhoods they reside in, you'd know why they are so "affordable".

FYI, I don't actually live in Rockford, but a small city that borders it. (It's actually considered a village but whatever.)

I only say Rockford because otherwise people wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. The housing, taxes and school district we have are much better than Rockford. :smile:

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm from Dekalb and My parents now live in Kingston... I know PLENTY of Villiages out near there...

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 02:55 PM
I'm from Dekalb and My parents now live in Kingston... I know PLENTY of Villiages out near there...

You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't.

I've been to the Quad Cities or even up to Janesville or Madison and somebody asks where I'm from.

I tell them and they're like "what?". Then I say Rockford and they're like "Oh ok, I know where that is."

I've also met people that think Chicago is a state...

HITMEN OF 77
01-14-2004, 04:38 PM

I think my old hometown of Kankakee was voted #1 worst place to live.

steff
01-14-2004, 04:39 PM
IWC.. I saw Matchbox20 in Rockford a few months ago.. it's not a bad little city.

Tekijawa
01-14-2004, 04:48 PM
You must have been in the 4 good blocks that the city has, right arround the stadium where the Guss Macer tournaments are held. outside of that and the Mall I wouldn't touch that city...

southsidegirl
01-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Actually I've been a Sox fan my entire life. I have a picture of me at Old Comiskey at 2 months old. I can remember when the Sox won the division in '93.

But for some reason, I feel left out cuz everyone is older than me. :whiner: I've always been the baby wherever I go and whoever I hang out with. I'll stop bitching now, I promise. :smile:

steff
01-14-2004, 05:04 PM
But for some reason, I feel left out cuz everyone is older than me. :whiner: I've always been the baby wherever I go and whoever I hang out with. I'll stop bitching now, I promise. :smile:

Hey.. you'll fit right in with Henry.. sometimes he acts a lot younger than he is... :D: :D:

voodoochile
01-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Actually I've been a Sox fan my entire life. I have a picture of me at Old Comiskey at 2 months old. I can remember when the Sox won the division in '93.

Thus has it ever been for every 13YO kid in the history of the world. Don't dream about being older, trust me, it's coming. Enjoy your youth. You'll be old enough for the atrium bar eventually. By then they will need to rent a banguet room for the annual WSI banquet complete with a roast of all things Reinsy provided he is still the owner...

TornLabrum
01-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I will be attending on Saturday and would be interested in talking to any fan who has stories that could be used in my up coming Sox book. I may not use information directly but I am open to anyone who would like to talk about a speical memory at the ballpark. Fans have already contributed some great stuff by e-mail and by phone, and I think that fans are sometimes the best historians. I will be wearing a white shirt with a picture of my last book cover on the back.(Through Hope and Despair.) Thanks for any help.

Dan, stop by the WCSF booth and talk to some of the ladies. Ella should have stories going back to at least 1948. She's missed one home game since then (to attend a funeral). Mary Kay has also had season tickets for a number of years. Then there's Ruth and Eleanor....

TornLabrum
01-14-2004, 06:40 PM
We've been over this already... Hal had 2 (maybe just 1?) beers, Kris and Mike are not an issue.. and I could have sworn you and I settled up on this as well.... There were some folks that were not with us at the tables, but standing behind us against the wall that took advantage.

I think I had two. That's the Vickery-curse limit. I don't even get that many this year with this damned diet. I wonder how much Diet Coke costs there....

:chunks <----Me after 2 beers.

TornLabrum
01-14-2004, 06:43 PM
I think my old hometown of Kankakee was voted #1 worst place to live.

Fortunately, I grew up in Bradley.

Iwritecode
01-14-2004, 07:05 PM
You must have been in the 4 good blocks that the city has, right arround the stadium where the Guss Macer tournaments are held. outside of that and the Mall I wouldn't touch that city...

Well, the S/E side of the city isn't too bad. That's where the mall I'm assuming you're talking about is.

Did it have a Toys R Us in front of it?

Anyway, there's a big stretch of road a few miles long that has all the places you'd ever want to shop or eat along it. Plus a large movie theater. Other than that, I don't go into the city much either.

DannyCaterFan
01-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Danny Cater Fan will be there Saturday to engage KW in reasons why they won't do anything this off season. Memo to JR...SELL THE TEAM!!!!!

HITMEN OF 77
01-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Fortunately, I grew up in Bradley.

Luckily I found a way out of Kankakee and spent time in Bourbonais and "down south" in Chebanse. :D:

TornLabrum
01-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Luckily I found a way out of Kankakee and spent time in Bourbonais and "down south" in Chebanse. :D:

Chebanse: one of the great resort towns of the midwest!

When I was growing up, the yuppies hadn't invaded the little town (then around 1800 people) to the North of Bradley, and it was pronounced "Bur-BONE-us," one sure way of telling an old-timer from the area.

voodoochile
01-14-2004, 11:06 PM

When I was growing up, the yuppies hadn't invaded the little town (then around 1800 people) to the North of Bradley, and it was pronounced "Bur-BONE-us," one sure way of telling an old-timer from the area.

Yeah, you can catch some weird looks down that away saying "bourbon-ay" :D:

HITMEN OF 77
01-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Funny enough, my distant relative "discovered" Bradley Bourbonais etc etc...Levaser (sp)?

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:28 PM

Chebanse? Any other oddities along I-57 that would like to be claimed? I see a small town of 1500 here called Gilman, wonder if it's any good?

Bur-bone-us when you were growing up? What century did you grow up there?

SouthSideHitman
01-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Well, I've just had the only conflicting event be moved from my schedule be moved so I can now go to Sox fest, the question why should I? They didn't even get any of our all-star guys except Mark and Esteban. I gusse I'll go if I can mooch a ride and ticket off my dad. Otherwise I have so little money, it just isn't worth scrounging some up to hear the company line after this offseason.

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Well, I've just had the only conflicting event be moved from my schedule be moved so I can now go to Sox fest, the question why should I? They didn't even get any of our all-star guys except Mark and Esteban. I gusse I'll go if I can mooch a ride and ticket off my dad. Otherwise I have so little money, it just isn't worth scrounging some up to hear the company line after this offseason.

You could go and keep track of how many words of Ozzie's you understand in person.

HITMEN OF 77
01-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Chebanse? Any other oddities along I-57 that would like to be claimed? I see a small town of 1500 here called Gilman, wonder if it's any good?

My great uncle pretty much owned all and everything in and around Chebanse and made $$$$$$$ when the they put I-57 in and bought his property. Another town I remember around that way was Clifton. I also remember Momence, Herscher, Aroma Park, and many more around Kankakee.

JDP
01-14-2004, 11:40 PM
My great uncle pretty much owned all and everything in and around Chebanse and made $$$$$$$ when the they put I-57 in and bought his property. Another town I remember around that way was Clifton. I also remember Momence, Herscher, Aroma Park, and many more around Kankakee.

What's in Chebanse to be owned?

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Besides the town bank, grain elevators, butler buildings etc etc, the key was/is the best farm land in all of Illinois.

TornLabrum
01-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by JDP

20th.

TornLabrum
01-15-2004, 06:36 PM

Kankakee County recently celebrated its sequicentennial, and my mom, who still lives in Bradley, saved a copy of the Daily Urinal...er Journal for me. Some interesting stuff if you come from the area.

My dad's family moved to the Aroma Park area from New York between 1855 and 1860, back when the town was still called Waldron. Some of my great-great-great grandfather's descendents still own at least part of the farm land he bought. Oddly enough, these were people I didn't know existed until less than two years ago when I stumbled upon some of them while trying to dig up my ancestry.

Only reason I bring it up is that it beats griping about the Sox doing absolutely nothing to improve the team.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-15-2004, 06:52 PM
....My dad's family moved to the Aroma Park area from New York between 1855 and 1860, back when the town was still called Waldron. Some of my great-great-great grandfather's descendents still own at least part of the farm land he bought. Oddly enough, these were people I didn't know existed until less than two years ago when I stumbled upon some of them while trying to dig up my ancestry....

Huh? The name of the town was Waldron until somebody had the bright idea to change it to Aroma Park? What the hell were they thinking?

BTW, I used to know the mayor of Aroma Park. When not handling his myraid civic duties he was the chief veterinarian for the Gaines Dog Food Company. They were once the #1 employer in KKK back in the day.

TornLabrum
01-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Huh? The name of the town was Waldron until somebody had the bright idea to change it to Aroma Park? What the hell were they thinking?

BTW, I used to know the mayor of Aroma Park. When not handling his myraid civic duties he was the chief veterinarian for the Gaines Dog Food Company. They were once the #1 employer in KKK back in the day.

I didn't know that General Foods employed that many people in Kankakee. The two Roper plants at one point employed two or three thousand, I think.

There might have been a blurb in that sesquicentennial edition of the Urinal about the naming of Aroma Park. I think it had something to do with a guy from New York who came to town to collect payments for land people from there (probably my relatives, come to think of it) had bought when they came to IL.

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2004, 12:14 AM
My grandparents sent me the Daily Journal with all the stuff and small booklet as well, it was interesting. Also in Kankakee besides Roper was AO Smith, they made water heaters. Oddly enough, Kankakee had the choice of University of Illinois or The State Hospital in the mid 1850's. They choose the state hospital, bad choice but at the time it seemed logical. Another side note, Ex Illinois Gov Ryan's niece grew up in Kankakee and my father dated her before meeting my mom. Weird small world!!

Brian26
01-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Funny to look at this thread to see where it's gone: from who's going to soxfest, to how much drinks cost in the atrium bar, to Hyatt bookings, to rural towns near Rockford and Kankakee.

Dan H
01-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Dan, stop by the WCSF booth and talk to some of the ladies. Ella should have stories going back to at least 1948. She's missed one home game since then (to attend a funeral). Mary Kay has also had season tickets for a number of years. Then there's Ruth and Eleanor....

I will make sure to stop by. I will more than willing to listen to some good memories.

Iwritecode
01-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Funny to look at this thread to see where it's gone: from who's going to soxfest, to how much drinks cost in the atrium bar, to Hyatt bookings, to rural towns near Rockford and Kankakee.

Yea, we tend to get a little off-topic on long threads like this.

BTW, only 2 weeks until Soxfest!

CubKilla
01-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Me and a friend(s) may meet up w/Sox fan friends at the Atrium Bar on Friday or Saturday but we will not be attending SoxFest itself.

That way, there's more :gulp: money

PINWHEELS
01-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by soxwon
IS THERE A SCHEDULE YET?

ILL BE THERE SATURDAY I will be at the atrium bar on sat. night, Looking forward to meeting all of you who show!

Iwritecode
01-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Steff
Voodoo
Hangar18
Viva Magglio
soxwon
ewokpelts
cubhater
DukeOC
Hondo
WLL1855
StillMissOzzie
Fisk72
Palehose13
Brian26
Tekijawa
joepoe
chisoxmike
whitesoxwilkes
Cheeses (maybe)
Mr and Mrs. Aloha
southsidegirl
JGarlandrules20
ChiWhiteSox1337 (maybe)
Soxfan7070
starboy0
Dan H
Mickster
DannyCarterFan
CubKilla (maybe)
PINWHEELS
Farmer_Andy
Shane
Iwritecode

The list is still growing...

ewokpelts
01-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Steff
Voodoo
Hangar18
Viva Magglio
soxwon
ewokpelts
cubhater
DukeOC
Hondo
WLL1855
StillMissOzzie
Fisk72
Palehose13
Brian26
Tekijawa
joepoe
chisoxmike
whitesoxwilkes
Cheeses (maybe)
Mr and Mrs. Aloha
southsidegirl
JGarlandrules20
ChiWhiteSox1337 (maybe)
Soxfan7070
starboy0
Dan H
Mickster
DannyCarterFan
CubKilla (maybe)
PINWHEELS

The list is still growing...

I'm getting a room for the weekend, so if anyone was interested in an after hours party friday night(sat's reserved for me and the girlfriend ... ;} ) let me know...most like ly byob or 5-10 bucks to drink my swill.....
Gene

Hangar18
01-16-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm getting a room for the weekend, so if anyone was interested in an after hours party friday night(sat's reserved for me and the girlfriend ... ;} ) let me know...most like ly byob or 5-10 bucks to drink my swill.....
Gene

IIWC, thanks for keeping this List Updated. Im making a copy of this, and Im going to Check off every person I meet.
Going to see If I can remember peoples screen names by
the end of the nite .... and do some kind of story on
the afterparty the next day Heh Heh

Say IIRC, I notice YOU arent on this list? what gives?

Hangar18
01-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Oh......You FOrgot Farmer Andy and Shane will be there also......
Theyre getting a Room there too ...........

Brian26
01-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Gene

What time does the "talent" show up???

Iwritecode
01-16-2004, 02:02 PM
IIWC, thanks for keeping this List Updated. Im making a copy of this, and Im going to Check off every person I meet.
Going to see If I can remember peoples screen names by
the end of the nite .... and do some kind of story on
the afterparty the next day Heh Heh

I was thinking about doing something like that also. Just to see how many people I can get from the list.

Say IIRC, I notice YOU arent on this list? what gives?

Well, the first couple of times I posted it, I added the total number of people and said "including myself". I thought I would be fairly obvious.

I'll add my name if it makes you feel better though. :D:

Iwritecode
01-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Oh......You FOrgot Farmer Andy and Shane will be there also......
Theyre getting a Room there too ...........

It's been edited.

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Gene

After hours Friday would be good for us (me and Kim my girlfriend) we'll see what happens.

PINWHEELS
01-16-2004, 06:47 PM
What time does that "talent" show up??? Thats my question also!

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2004, 07:40 PM
When does it kick off on Friday and what happens during the Friday part of Soxfest?

Iwritecode
01-16-2004, 08:28 PM
When does it kick off on Friday and what happens during the Friday part of Soxfest?

Everything starts at 5pm on Friday but there will be people lining up to get in hours before that.

We really won't know what is going to happen that night until they release the schedule of events. That should probably be sometime next week or early the week after.

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2004, 08:44 PM
So since we are already in the hotel, do we have to wait in line?

Iwritecode
01-16-2004, 09:23 PM
So since we are already in the hotel, do we have to wait in line?

Yep.

The fest itself is actually held like 2 or 3 levels below ground level. The lines usually start at the beginning of the stairs.

I stayed in the hotel last year and got in line at 7am on Saturday and still probably had over a hundred people in front of me.

Brian26
01-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Last year I got there on Friday around 5pm, and I think we stood in line well until after 6pm. Probably didn't get down to the basement until 6:15 or 6:20 to grab Crede and Borchard's autographs right off the bat.

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Yep.

The fest itself is actually held like 2 or 3 levels below ground level. The lines usually start at the beginning of the stairs.

I stayed in the hotel last year and got in line at 7am on Saturday and still probably had over a hundred people in front of me.

Maybe we could meet up before hand get a beer or something on Friday and get in line early?

mike squires
01-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Lines are for sure...For example, if you get in an autograph line early, but are the first in line, you still have to wait 2 hours. If you wait and get in line at the end you still wait two hours to get through the line. I hope that makes sense,. I kind of feel like Chrissy Snow off of Three's Company!!! I suggest you get in the bigger name players as early as possible cause they generally stop the line at some point. Big namd players? Do we still have those? :D:

Brian26
01-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Lines are for sure...For example, if you get in an autograph line early, but are the first in line, you still have to wait 2 hours. If you wait and get in line at the end you still wait two hours to get through the line. I hope that makes sense,. I kind of feel like Chrissy Snow off of Three's Company!!! I suggest you get in the bigger name players as early as possible cause they generally stop the line at some point. Big namd players? Do we still have those? :D:

And make sure you have tons of money to buy balls or bats for those big-name players to sign (ie Frank, Maggs, and Caballo). Hoping that Maggs and Frank are last-minute additions to the schedule.

HITMEN OF 77
01-16-2004, 09:35 PM
What about the lines for the older players, are they long?

mike squires
01-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Older players like Minnoso and Melton can be long but not too bad of a wiat. YOu can usually catch them in the Tuscon booth away from the usual lines. You can get Hawk in Dj's like that as well. You are probably looking at a 30 minute wait for those types of players.

mike squires
01-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Those lines are generally closer to the merchandise booths. Minnie is cool. He takes his time, lining up a piece of paper on the item and signing it in a perfect straight line. I got a "mini" bat signed. (no pun intended) Looks very nice next to his bobble head. I wish I would have gotten it on a ball too. Maybe next year. It's hard to believe that Minnie is like 80 years old! He reminds me of one of Fred Sanfords buddies. He was drinking brewskis at the hotel party.

mike squires
01-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Sorry, ideas and memories keep rushing back. Getting players autograph after seminars is a great way to cut the wait in lines. If you sit near the front or kind of "sneak up" toward the end and kindly ask for an autograph, they generally oblige. I got a Baines, Kittle, Dotson, Kenny Williams, Hawk and DJ that way.

ewokpelts
01-16-2004, 10:05 PM
What time does the "talent" show up???

whatever do you mean?
Gene

TornLabrum
01-17-2004, 10:12 AM
My grandparents sent me the Daily Journal with all the stuff and small booklet as well, it was interesting. Also in Kankakee besides Roper was AO Smith, they made water heaters. Oddly enough, Kankakee had the choice of University of Illinois or The State Hospital in the mid 1850's. They choose the state hospital, bad choice but at the time it seemed logical. Another side note, Ex Illinois Gov Ryan's niece grew up in Kankakee and my father dated her before meeting my mom. Weird small world!!

A couple of quick notes: as to the story about the hospital or the university, that anniversary edition of the Urinal says that it's apocryphal (sp?).

A note about Roper: The plant in Kankakee made stoves, mostly sold by Sears under the Kenmore brand name. The plant in Bradley (originally David Bradley Manufacturing Works) started out making David Bradley plows. Bradley's son, who owned a house on the Kankakee River designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, sold the company to Sears.

The Feds got on Sears' case for antitrust reasons since the Bradley company was a wholly owned subsidiary, meaning Sears controlled manufacturing and sales. I don't remember the complete details because I was pretty young when that happened. They sold the company to the Newark Ohio Co., which they owned a majority of stock in. The government told them after several years that that was also a no-go, so they sold to Roper, a corporation in which they owned a minority of the stock.

The Bradley plant made dining room furniture, lawn mowers, and garden tractors. The furniture was sold by Sears under whatever brand name, if any, they used. The lawn and garden items were sold both under the Craftsman name and independently of Sears under the Roper name.

My dad worked at the Bradley plant for over 40 years, mostly in the office. "Pug" Benoche, who lived a couple of doors south of us worked at the A.O. Smith plant. He was President of the KF of L for several years.

Another fairly good sized operation was the Kroehler plant in Bradley. They employed over 600 people in their peak years. They were one of the largest furniture making plants in the world. My grandfather, from whom I inherited my weight problem and my affliction of being a Sox fan, worked at Kroehler's for years, as did my uncle (his son) who drove a truck for them.

HITMEN OF 77
01-17-2004, 12:13 PM

Another fairly good sized operation was the Kroehler plant in Bradley. They employed over 600 people in their peak years. They were one of the largest furniture making plants in the world. My grandfather, from whom I inherited my weight problem and my affliction of being a Sox fan, worked at Kroehler's for years, as did my uncle (his son) who drove a truck for them.

My father worked at Kroehler for some years and also Pettinghouse (sp?) which was a big steel plant in Bradley. The Kroehler plant burnt to ground about 10 years ago, what's left of the building is now a factory for oriental fans.

RedPinStripes
01-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Not me. I cant stand to listen to the "pep rally speech" from KW and Ozzie. I'll hear enough bull**** once the season starts. I dont need another 500.00 weekend at the Hyatt to listen to that.

Brian26
01-17-2004, 05:31 PM
whatever do you mean?
Gene

Hired entertainment. Or am I going to have to go to Scores after the atrium bar closes?

HITMEN OF 77
01-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Isn't that Twist and Shout or am I wrong?

ewokpelts
01-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Hired entertainment. Or am I going to have to go to Scores after the atrium bar closes? probably not....the girlfriend might be there..and sides...I'm like Jerry....i'm on a budget..
Gene

Brian26
01-18-2004, 04:38 PM
probably not....the girlfriend might be there..and sides...I'm like Jerry....i'm on a budget..
Gene

$58 million doesn't go far these days, in baseball or strip clubs.

Iwritecode
01-19-2004, 09:48 AM
Maybe we could meet up before hand get a beer or something on Friday and get in line early?

Well, I'm not much of a drinker but the meeting up and getting in line early sounds good.

I'm not sure what time we'll be there on Friday. I'm hoping somewhere between 1pm and 3pm, depending out what time we leave the house and traffic.

HITMEN OF 77
01-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Well, I'm not much of a drinker but the meeting up and getting in line early sounds good.

I'm not sure what time we'll be there on Friday. I'm hoping somewhere between 1pm and 3pm, depending out what time we leave the house and traffic.

We fly in on Thursday at 12:30 in the afternoon, so we will be there whenever you arrive.

steff
01-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Yep.

We didn't get there till 6:30 last year and the line, while long, moved pretty fast. We bought a 6 pack at the store and drank it in line :D:

Iwritecode
01-19-2004, 12:49 PM
We fly in on Thursday at 12:30 in the afternoon, so we will be there whenever you arrive.

I’ll be there with a group of three other people. Two of them will probably be wearing (matching) bright, shiny orange and blue Bears jackets. I'm the guy with really long hair pulled back in a ponytail, a goatee and wearing a black Sox jersey. I used to have a pic of myself (with PHG) on this site somewhere. It was from Soxfest a couple of years ago. I’ve got a few at home that I’ll have to put on here.

Iwritecode
01-19-2004, 12:51 PM
We didn't get there till 6:30 last year and the line, while long, moved pretty fast. We bought a 6 pack at the store and drank it in line :D:

Drinking at 6:30 in the morning? Or are you talking about Friday night? :?:

Most of the people I saw on Saturday morning had coffee/OJ and Dunkin Doughnuts.

steff
01-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Drinking at 6:30 in the morning? Or are you talking about Friday night? :?:

Most of the people I saw on Saturday morning had coffee/OJ and Dunkin Doughnuts.

No, no... 6:30 PM! We'll be at work till 5.

Hangar18
01-19-2004, 12:58 PM
...... I'm the guy with really long hair pulled back in a ponytail, a goatee and wearing a black Sox jersey.

I'll be the Guy holding court with a group of Reporters/Media Types talking about why I made my signs and brought to SoxFest

steff
01-19-2004, 01:03 PM
I'll be the Guy holding court with a group of Reporters/Media Types talking about why I made my signs and brought to SoxFest

Don't count on it.

Iwritecode
01-19-2004, 01:05 PM

You're in enough pictures in the photo gallery, I think I'll be able to recognize you even without the signs and/or media swarm.

Brian26
01-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Don't count on it.

LOL

Brian26
01-19-2004, 03:38 PM

I'll be the guy laughing in the background when Hangar's being escorted out of the hall by Hyatt security.

ewokpelts
01-19-2004, 04:20 PM
I'll be the guy laughing in the background when Hangar's being escorted out of the hall by Hyatt security.

as long as hangar and his group aren't swearing and making threats...hyatt security cant do squat....our country was founded on the right to protest, even if it's only the shoddy stewardship of a baseball team....
Gene

Hangar18
01-19-2004, 04:22 PM

and Id be wondering why your laughing, while our teams
sitting on their hands doing nothing while the league passes
us by, including that other team 8 miles north of us that
DOESNT deserve the media attention

HITMEN OF 77
01-19-2004, 05:23 PM
I'l be decked out in my different Sox uni's and will either be wearing a 64-67 or a 68-70 Sox cap.

steff
01-19-2004, 05:44 PM
as long as hangar and his group aren't swearing and making threats...hyatt security cant do squat....our country was founded on the right to protest, even if it's only the shoddy stewardship of a baseball team....
Gene

The Sox have "bought" the space. It's their forum. The can, and will, exercise their right to a peaceful event..

Brian26
01-19-2004, 06:58 PM
I'l be decked out in my different Sox uni's and will either be wearing a 64-67 or a 68-70 Sox cap.

Trying to picture these two caps. Are they both light blue? I remember the 68-70 hat as being basically a light blue version of the 71-75 hat. What was the 64-67 hat??

Brian26
01-19-2004, 06:59 PM
and Id be wondering why your laughing, while our teams
sitting on their hands doing nothing while the league passes
us by, including that other team 8 miles north of us that
DOESNT deserve the media attention

I'm just ribbin' ya Hangar. I'm as frustrated by our lack of moves this offseason as you are. Just want to make sure you don't get yourself in trouble. See you in 2 weeks!

Brian26
01-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Where's that double tomato when you need it?

TornLabrum
01-19-2004, 07:34 PM

Or the guy outside the building on Stetson Court (or whatever it's called).

HITMEN OF 77
01-20-2004, 02:21 AM
Trying to picture these two caps. Are they both light blue? I remember the 68-70 hat as being basically a light blue version of the 71-75 hat. What was the 64-67 hat??

The 68-70 hat was just like the 71-75 hats except a true blue color. The 64-67 hats were like the 50's and early 60's "Go Go" hats minus the red outline and a bolder "SOX" all in white and instead of black hats, they were a dark navy blue.

Iwritecode
01-23-2004, 02:01 PM
By this time next week I will (hopefully) be somewhere between Rockford and Chicago if not at the hotel already. :D:

Those of you that got the hotel package:

Has anyone received any information about the "private" autograph session? I thought I had made my reservations early enough to get into that but I haven't heard anything yet...

ewokpelts
01-23-2004, 02:36 PM
By this time next week I will (hopefully) be somewhere between Rockford and Chicago if not at the hotel already. :D:

Has anyone received any information about the "private" autograph session? I thought I had made my reservations early enough to get into that but I haven't heard anything yet...

call teh hyatt and ask...i think it'll come with the tickets...
Gene

thepaulbowski
01-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Gene

Doesn't apply to private property. I.E "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." As long as it doesn't affect somebody civil liberties (like refusing to serve a person because they are black) they have the right to remove somebody from their premises if they feel fit.

Iwritecode
01-23-2004, 03:28 PM
call teh hyatt and ask...i think it'll come with the tickets...
Gene

Hell, if that's the case, I'll just wait and find out when I get there.

I just thought they sent out some sort of letter or something last year.

HITMEN OF 77
01-23-2004, 04:13 PM
I was told you get all the tickets and info you you arrive at the hotel. they better have my stuff or else. I din't fly 2100 miles to be turned away.

southsidegirl
01-23-2004, 04:16 PM
I was told you get all the tickets and info you you arrive at the hotel. they better have my stuff or else. I din't fly 2100 miles to be turned away.

Yea, my dad reserved a hotel room all weekend and a few weeks later we realized that my brother is crossing over to be a boy scout that night. So, Friday after school my friend's dad is taking me and my friend and we're staying over in the room. I hope that they let us get in under my dad's name, but I don't think it'll be a problem cuz my friend's dad knows people that work there. He does a lot of traveling and stuff....

ChiSox1983
01-23-2004, 05:34 PM

You get the Soxfest passes when you register. IIRC, the game tickets are mailed to you. I didn't get into the private autograph session last year so I don't know how that works...

steff
01-23-2004, 05:36 PM

It's Loaiza and Hoyt

southsidegirl
01-23-2004, 05:38 PM
I just got a letter saying that it's Lee and Thigpen.

Estey and Hoyt are fine w/ me though....

Iwritecode
01-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox1983
You get the Soxfest passes when you register. IIRC, the game tickets are mailed to you. I didn't get into the private autograph session last year so I don't know how that works...

Oops, that was me. Didn't realize my friend had logged in earlier...

It's Loaiza and Hoyt

So how do I know if I got in or not?

steff
01-23-2004, 05:39 PM

This is on Friday night.. Saturday there is one also IIRC.

steff
01-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Oops, that was me. Didn't realize my friend had logged in earlier...

So how do I know if I got in or not?

IWC... I'm not sure. My rep took care of everything. Maybe call the Hyatt and ask..??

southsidegirl
01-23-2004, 05:43 PM
I see........

What does IIRC stand for?

steff
01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
I see........

What does IIRC stand for?

If I recall correctly.

They have 2 to accomidate all the guests. I'm pretty sure anyone who stays there gets to attend one of them. Which night did your letter say?

southsidegirl
01-23-2004, 05:48 PM
KK

Mine says Saturday night. Man! I already have a Caballo autograph!

Iwritecode
01-23-2004, 05:51 PM

I THOUGHT they sent out letters.

I haven't gotten anything yet... :(:

HITMEN OF 77
01-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Maybe we can trade amongst ourselves?

southsidegirl
01-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Hmmmm....good idea.

steff
01-23-2004, 06:02 PM
I THOUGHT they sent out letters.

I haven't gotten anything yet... :(:

I've never gotten a letter and gotten into it every year. Even last year when we didn't stay there. Somehow.. I don't think the demand will be great this year and you'll have no troubles.. :(:

Iwritecode
01-24-2004, 05:38 PM
I've never gotten a letter and gotten into it every year. Even last year when we didn't stay there. Somehow.. I don't think the demand will be great this year and you'll have no troubles.. :(:

We just got a letter.

We just got a letter...

Sorry, my daughter has been watching Blue's Clues a lot lately...

Anyway, I just got my letter and pass for Saturday night with Lee and Thigpen. :D: :smile: :cool:

HITMEN OF 77
01-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Hmmmm....good idea.

Maybe we won't need the letters and we can get in for both, if not I will let you know when mine comes in the mail and let you know which one I got.

TornLabrum
01-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Maybe we won't need the letters and we can get in for both, if not I will let you know when mine comes in the mail and let you know which one I got.

You have to present the ticket that comes with the letter. You can get two people in on the single ticket. They take the tickets at the door.

I got Caballo and Thiggy.

Bucktown
01-25-2004, 11:08 PM
You have to present the ticket that comes with the letter. You can get two people in on the single ticket. They take the tickets at the door.

I got Caballo and Thiggy.
Who wants to bring me as their guest? I just have a regular ticket since I plan to drive down and back on Friday.

-Will

Hangar18
01-26-2004, 10:11 AM
Say IIRC, I just got written confirmation that WhiteSox Bill2
and his buddy Bill (no relation to the other WhiteSox Bill here)
will be at Sox Fest this weekend also ...... So add the 2 Bills
to our Ever Growing List my friend

Iwritecode
01-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Say IIRC, I just got written confirmation that WhiteSox Bill2
and his buddy Bill (no relation to the other WhiteSox Bill here)
will be at Sox Fest this weekend also ...... So add the 2 Bills
to our Ever Growing List my friend

WhiteSox Bill2? Is that his member name? I just checked the list and didn't see it...

I think I'm going to see if I can start a new thread and get it stuck to the top with all the general info for Friday and Saturday night. I'll add the updated list there too.

jshanahanjr
01-27-2004, 11:32 AM
Saturday for sure and maybe Friday.

Hangar18
01-27-2004, 11:41 AM
I was telling My friend Julie, who promised herself she would do More Things SOX related, about how my weekend is booked up, doing SoxFest, and having the Kids with me all day Saturday.
She mentioned how much fun it sounded, and she'd like to try going someday, and I told her, Why dont you just come with
me, you can meet a ton more SOX Fans, I'll introduce her
to everyone, and she'll have herself a Great Time.
So shes coming Friday, shes Very Excited! Im all about
spreading the gospel ........

Rocklive99
01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Not sure if this was posted, but SoxFest lineup was posted

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/community/index.jsp?program=soxfest2004

Bucktown
01-28-2004, 11:27 PM
I was telling My friend Julie, who promised herself she would do More Things SOX related, about how my weekend is booked up, doing SoxFest, and having the Kids with me all day Saturday.

She mentioned how much fun it sounded, and she'd like to try going someday, and I told her, Why dont you just come with
me, you can meet a ton more SOX Fans, I'll introduce her
to everyone, and she'll have herself a Great Time.

So shes coming Friday, shes Very Excited! Im all about spreading the gospel ........
Is she hot?

SouthBendSox
01-28-2004, 11:30 PM
I wish

Hangar18
01-29-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Is she hot?

shes definitely cute, you guys would dig her. But not to change
the subject, I noticed Sat is sold out. Anyone have 3 extra
to sell ??

steff
01-29-2004, 07:55 AM
to sell ??

I may have 2.. but I wont know until Saturday morning...

Hangar18
01-29-2004, 08:19 AM
I may have 2.. but I wont know until Saturday morning...

Cool, its for the kids. If I find extras between today and tomorrow, I'll call you asap.

ewokpelts
01-29-2004, 09:13 AM
to sell ??

i may have one or two.....brian26 needed some, but i think he's getting them from hitmen of 77.....i'm 90% sure i'll have to two to part with...
Gene

Viva Magglio
01-29-2004, 02:03 PM
I will be at SoxFest this weekend, but it turns out that I will not be staying at the Hyatt over the weekend for it. I was planning to redeem points I had to stay the weekend for free, but a moronic snafu on the points company's end screwed me over as far as that goes. However, I'll be spending Saturday night at a nearby hotel.

emaholic
01-29-2004, 06:12 PM
I'll be going tomorrow (Friday) with my friends. Yayy. :smile:

whitesoxwilkes
01-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
I will be at SoxFest this weekend, but it turns out that I will not be staying at the Hyatt over the weekend for it. I was planning to redeem points I had to stay the weekend for free, but a moronic snafu on the points company's end screwed me over as far as that goes. However, I'll be spending Saturday night at a nearby hotel.

Joining us for a brew, Viva?

ewokpelts
01-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!

Viva,

I'm not sure what points program you have, but the diner's club points program has hyatt gift certificates, as well as conversion to hyatt points.....that's how i'm gunna go next year....the hyatt points are actually too crappy to convert the more valuable diners club, so i'll just be getting gift certificates...
Gene

Brian26
01-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Gene-

It looks like I'll be able to get two extras from Konerko05...so I think I'm set. Thanks for your help though. Hangar, do you still need extras for your nephews?

Hangar18
01-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Gene-

It looks like I'll be able to get two extras from Konerko05...so I think I'm set. Thanks for your help though. Hangar, do you still need extras for your nephews?

Ewokpelts got me 2 extra, so I need ONE more ....

Viva Magglio
01-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Joining us for a brew, Viva?

Saturday night, I'll probably be at the Hyatt Sox party, the Hyatt sports bar, and the atrium bar in no particular order.

Viva Magglio
01-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Viva,

I'm not sure what points program you have, but the diner's club points program has hyatt gift certificates, as well as conversion to hyatt points.....that's how i'm gunna go next year....the hyatt points are actually too crappy to convert the more valuable diners club, so i'll just be getting gift certificates...
Gene

My points program is through a major credit card company that is not Diner's Club.