PDA

View Full Version : Small, key steps to improve

jeremyb1
01-11-2004, 05:57 PM
I feel that if Williams decided to be crafty and focus on a few small moves to patch some holes, we'd have a much better chance going into this season. Here's what I'd do:

1. Step One: Trade for Keith Ginter. Ginter had a .352 OBP and a .427 SLG (.779 OPS) last season. Those numbers are above average for a second basemen, Ginter is still only 28, and he's not yet arbitration ellgible. I'm not sure Willie Harris is quite as bad an option as some seem to, but I am convinced Ginter would be much better. The best part is we could most likely acquire Ginter for next to nothing. After the Sexson deal, he's burried behind Spivey at 2B and Wes Helms at 3B. No one tends to value backup infielders all that greatly so a midlevel prospect should be enough to snag Ginter from Milwaukee.

2. Step Two: Let Rowand/Reed play CF. Rowand won't be an All-Star any time soon but people seem to forget that CF is a weak position throughout the league these days. Rowand is useful defensively (even his detrators have to admit he's a defensive upgrade over Everett) and has a career OPS around .750 (again not bad for the position) and crushed the ball after his recall last season. Reed is quite likely going to be a superstar so if the organization determines that he's ready and capable of playing CF in the majors he should be given a shot ahead of Rowand. Otherwise the possibility always exists that he could force his way onto the club midseason with a strong showing at Charlotte.

3. Step Three: Sign Antonio Osuna. There seems to be some perception that Osuna pitched poorly for the Yankees last season but his numbers were actually better than his strong '02 campaign with us. The Politte signing was a good move but bullpen still needs help and Osuna is the last remaining reliever with a strong track record on the market.

4. Step Four: Give the remaining relief assignments to Ginter and Wright. Ginter was terrific at Charlotte last season. With the numbers he posted in AAA, there's no reason to think he can't be at least an average middle reliever in the big leagues. Wright has the potential to be outstanding if he's used in the pen. The change might help his mental approach and his repetoire should translate very well to short stints.

5. Step Five: Sign free agent starting pitchers to minor league deals. It worked will with Loaiza. There aren't any starting pitchers in our price range left on the market while the players we could afford are not worth giving guarnateed money and denying Cotts and Rauch a chance to compete for the fifth spot. Instead of just handing the job to a young pitcher in our system however, we should bring in veterans with high upside to compete for the fifth spot. Guys like Scott Erikson and Robert Person coming off injuries will probably have a hard time finding a guaranteed deal so we should do our best to convince them to sign on a minor league contract with the prospect of winning a spot of the staff of a playoff contender.

depy48
01-11-2004, 06:36 PM
all very keen ideas

munchman33
01-11-2004, 07:27 PM
I like the Ginter idea, but because he's cheap and we are in dire need of a second basemen, it will cost us to obtain him.

doublem23
01-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I like the Ginter idea, but because he's cheap and we are in dire need of a second basemen, it will cost us to obtain him.

Isn't Ginter on the Brewers? How much could they really want? They're working within their $30 million budget, aren't they?

JRIG
01-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Isn't Ginter on the Brewers? How much could they really want? They're working within their $30 million budget, aren't
they?

My only question is why would the Brewers want to dump Ginter when Spivey makes a lot more money. I'd love to see Ginter at 2B and leading off for us, that's for sure.

munchman33
01-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Isn't Ginter on the Brewers? How much could they really want? They're working within their $30 million budget, aren't they?

They'll want top prospects is what I'm trying to say. Otherwise, they will use him as a backup, as he's cheap and good.

jeremyb1
01-11-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
My only question is why would the Brewers want to dump Ginter when Spivey makes a lot more money. I'd love to see Ginter at 2B and leading off for us, that's for sure.

Apparently they like Spivey better. I know I've read reports that teams were trying to deal for him and since a deal hasn't gone down I have to assume the Brewers want to keep him.

As far as the price goes, any team attempting to trade for Ginter would have leverage because he's going to waste on the Brewers bench. How much can you really ask for in return for your backup infielder.

Rex Hudler
01-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Ginter only got 380 AB's last year and he struck out 87 times. He probably would be an improvement over Willie, but my guess is the Brewers have no interest in moving a guy that can get AB's at 2B and 3B and doesn't cost much.

RichH55
01-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Ginter only got 380 AB's last year and he struck out 87 times. He probably would be an improvement over Willie, but my guess is the Brewers have no interest in moving a guy that can get AB's at 2B and 3B and doesn't cost much.

Ginter is blocked coming and going. Spivey is there, and Weeks's ETA is late 2004 at the latest. They also aren't a smart organization.....This is EXACTLY the type of scenario KW should be trying to exploit...An Arm from the minors(Not a top one either) would probably be enough

Ginter and Cust are "my guys" in terms of trade talks

I like Jay Payton as far as Free Agents go(Even if we get Damon)

And then you can trade Koch to the Mets for something(nothing good mind you, but still)

And the biggest hurdle as always: Trading PK

jeremyb1
01-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Ginter is blocked coming and going. Spivey is there, and Weeks's ETA is late 2004 at the latest. They also aren't a smart organization.....This is EXACTLY the type of scenario KW should be trying to exploit...An Arm from the minors(Not a top one either) would probably be enough

Ginter and Cust are "my guys" in terms of trade talks

I like Jay Payton as far as Free Agents go(Even if we get Damon)

And then you can trade Koch to the Mets for something(nothing good mind you, but still)

And the biggest hurdle as always: Trading PK

Yeah Cust might be a good pickup. The Orioles probably don't value him too much these days with all their veteran signings. Problem is you'd probably have to move Paully to open up a spot for him.