PDA

View Full Version : Open Communications between Magglio and JR/KW?

jabrch
01-11-2004, 12:39 PM
I wonder if there is an open communications line between Magglio and management. With Vlad signing for 14mm per and Sheff getting 13 (some deferred), Magglio has to realize that is about the top of what he can get. We offered him 12 per, I think. That's not so unattractive if Vlad can only get 14. Maybe we can work something out so that we don't have to trade Ordonez?

He would have to agree to a deal now though. I don't see keeping him this season if we think he will walk and leave us nothing but a few draft picks to waste.

Deadguy
01-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
He would have to agree to a deal now though. I don't see keeping him this season if we think he will walk and leave us nothing but a few draft picks to waste.

I'm willing to risk that, as long as we can't get an impact player(s) in return.

Magglio's 2004 production > a couple of upper level prospects.

With the division as weak as is it is, there's no reason to go into rebuilding mode at this point. Losing our best player, and not replacing his production immediately will clearly stick us behind the Royals and the Twins. As it stands now, we're pretty close to both the Twins and the Royals heading into the season.

duke of dorwood
01-11-2004, 01:13 PM
I doubt there is any communication going on.

Rex Hudler
01-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Any communication would be with Maggs agent, not Maggs himself. Unless Maggs has a real desire to stay in Chicago regardless of what other opportunities there may be later, I would doubt an agent would settle now. It may backfire, especially with the strong free agent class next year, but most agents are willing to gamble they can get a better deal.

With Maggs being the subject of constant trade rumors, I have a hard time believing that he would so loyal to the Sox that he would forego looking into other options.

34 Inch Stick
01-12-2004, 09:35 AM
You would think the market is now set for Maggs. He is not as good as Vlad but probably a little better than Sheffield. 50 million over 4 years should get the job done. I imagine that his agent wants to take this to free agency though.

Free Agency=goobye Maggs.

jabrch
01-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Free Agency=goobye Maggs.

I agree - and I don't think it will get that far. I can't see JR knowing he can't resign him and let him go for draft picks.

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I wonder if there is an open communications line between Magglio and management.

Only if his agent is nowhere to be found.