PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever thought of this before?

jordan23ventura
01-10-2004, 11:49 PM
How about this:
1. Sign Magglio to a 6 year deal $75mil and pay him $25mil this year and $25mil next year. Then split up the next four years at 6.25mil/year and move him to 1B.
2. Trade Thomas, Schoenweis, Koch, maybe even Lee, Wright, Borchard, and Rauch for the best prospects possible, mainly at SP, 2B, CF and SS.
3. Since no one wants Konerko, hold onto him until the AllStar break and see if he gets any interest. If not, PAY for half of his contract. Get him out of here.
4. Open the season w/ rotation of Loaiza, Buerhle, Garland, and two pitchers from AAA.
5. Use the next two years to rebuild and put an actual team together and save the rest of the money to put towads 2006. See if Borchard can make it. See if Cotts and Reed are all hype or not.
6. 2006: Spend some money!!!! Fill remaining holes! By then Damaso should be a top closer, Crede an allstar 3B and Olivo should be hitting at least .260/.270.
7. By 2006 we will have seen if Ozzie can do it or not, and if not we hire a Major League manager with experience.

ND_Sox_Fan
01-11-2004, 12:04 AM
He won't be over .220 until he learns how to hit an off speed pitch or hit an outside pitch the other way - I don't see it. Crede is very similar - All-Star will never be attached to his name - gold glove possibly.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but we have to see Loaiza do it for more than one year before we can count on him to be a top of the rotation stud for years to come.

Huisj
01-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
1. Sign Magglio to a 6 year deal $75mil and pay him $25mil this year and $25mil next year. Then split up the next four years at 6.25mil/year and move him to 1B.

what?

Rex Hudler
01-11-2004, 12:13 AM
My guess is some kind of narcotics have to be involved to post something like that. ;-)

MRKARNO
01-11-2004, 12:47 AM
um.......no

Dan Gelo
01-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Wow! I have never seen downs syndrome on message boards before.

jabrch
01-11-2004, 07:13 AM
How about this:

:reinsy
"Frontload a contract? You can't do that, can you?"

:jerry
"Move Magglio to 1B? Why didn't I think of that?"

:KW
"Oooh...more prospects and draft picks. This ought to be fun. I am going to bring back Schue to help me.

:hitless
"Anything for me?"

:jaime
"Need a SP?"

:gallas
"At least it won't make me change my marketing plan much. Just dust off the old "Kids can play crap - they eat that up when we stink.

:harry&jimmy
Jimmy "Ha ha ha. The maroon that came up with this whole idea ough to be shot."
Harry "Shooooot em in the head Jimmy...and I need another Falstaff!"
Jimmy "Yeah - and screw you Reinsdorf."

:washington
"Taxes? I just forgot to pay them."

kittle42
01-11-2004, 04:29 PM
How about this:
2. Trade Thomas, Schoenweis, Koch, maybe even Lee, Wright, Borchard, and Rauch for the best prospects possible, mainly at SP, 2B, CF and SS.

This is horrible, this idea.

SoxxoS
01-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Love this guy, and this is worth it.

:threadsucks

dickallen15
01-11-2004, 06:44 PM
How about this:
3. Since no one wants Konerko, hold onto him until the AllStar break and see if he gets any interest. If not, PAY for half of his contract. Get him out of here.
4. Open the season w/ rotation of Loaiza, Buerhle, Garland, and two pitchers from AAA.
5. Use the next two years to rebuild and put an actual team together and save the rest of the money to put towads 2006. See if Borchard can make it. See if Cotts and Reed are all hype or not.
6. 2006: Spend some money!!!! Fill remaining holes! By then Damaso should be a top closer, Crede an allstar 3B and Olivo should be hitting at least .260/.270.
7. By 2006 we will have seen if Ozzie can do it or not, and if not we hire a Major League manager with experience.

Did you just get back from 6 months in the coffeeshops and smart shops of Amsterdam?

depy48
01-11-2004, 06:46 PM
i tell ya, i dont see it happening. i'm thinking mags isnt going to like to get 6.25mil a year when everyone around him is making double. even if the first two years he gets 25mil. plus the other part of this proposal sounds like a firesale. what teams are going to give up top prospects for aging stars?

Viva Magglio
01-11-2004, 07:00 PM
How about this:

Why this alone is unrealistic------->:reinsy

Hangar18
01-11-2004, 09:20 PM
How about this:

Say...before everyone rips this Idea. Its worth Exploring.
I dont like the move him to First Idea....but Yeah, This is Not a Bad Idea. first of all, you get most of the Contract out of the way........so theres no trading him at the end of the contract because you cant afford him. ALSO, makes him very valuable down the Line if you DO want to trade him..... you'd have 10 teams wanting his services . I like it

ode to veeck
01-12-2004, 11:17 AM
7. By 2006 we will have seen if Ozzie can do it or not, and if not we hire a Major League manager with experience

Will never happen, as long as JR's alive and as long as there's the remotest possibility to find an "on the job training" newbie to hire into the post without having to cough up the $$ for an experienced skipper

SSN721
01-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
This is horrible, this idea.

I think I would rather buy a "jump to conclusions" mat than a ticket to a team that tore itself apart like this.

Iwritecode
01-12-2004, 12:41 PM
To answer the question in the title, I can honestly say I have never thought about any of that.

I won't even go into the reasons why...