PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte, 2004...

MarkEdward
01-10-2004, 07:11 PM
I know the major league roster still has holes, but what of the 2004 Knights' team? I'm going to try and throw out the starters here. Anyone else can throw out their suggestions here too.

C: Mike Rivera.
1B: maybe Ryan Hankins (I know they've been using him as a catcher, but I think Burke and Rivera will be the Knights' catchers).
2B: Danny Sandoval?
3B: ???, maybe Gabe Alvarez?
SS: Anyone not named Jorge Nunez. Guillermo Reyes had a bad year for the Barons, so he probably won't get promoted. They may have to go after a free agent.
LF: Jeremy Reed
CF (assuming Borchard makes the Sox): Uh... does Juan Piniella play center?
RF: Scott Morgan?

I'll only go over the starting pitchers now, the bullpen should be fine:
SP: Neal Cotts
SP: Felix Diaz
SP: Enemencio Pacheco
SP: Byeong An
SP: Tetsu Yofu

Charlotte's pitching staff should be fun to watch. Diaz, Pacheco, Ginter, Munoz, Majewski, and Bajenaru aren't top prospects, but they're all interesting players.

Rex Hudler
01-10-2004, 07:33 PM
There is no way to guess right now, but the Sox have signed several free agents that you didn't mention.

Infielders Michael Bell, Kelly Dransfeldt and Mike Gulan are all vets who will play. There is an outside chance that Dransfeldt will be in Chicago in a Graffanino type role. I'd be happy as a lark to see Josh Shaffer in Charlotte as well.

Danny Sandoval is long gone (via the Phillies to the Rockies) and Gabe Alvarez has not been signed.

Scott Bikowski will be in the outfield mix. Scott Morgan and Juan Piniella were not re-signed either.

Pitchers that could come into the mix that you did not mention are Jon Rauch, Mitch Wylie, Francisco Campos, Carlos Castillo, Ryan Kohlmeyer, Kyle Kane and Matt Smith. Matt Ginter will have to clear waivers to return to Charlotte since he is out of options.

That cloud matters enough?

Champ Summers
01-10-2004, 07:46 PM
do we still have:

Adkins
Valenzuela
Sanders
Durham
Eason...

anyone know?

ondafarm
01-10-2004, 09:49 PM
I hope Tetsu Yofu is promoted to play for the Knights.

Great guy and a smart player.

Rex Hudler
01-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Adkins Yes
Valenzuela No
Sanders Yes
Durham No
Eason... No

Other players under contract that could land in Charlotte are:

Corwin Malone
Ryan Meaux
Ross Gload

Guys that aren't likely to, but could skip AA would be Kris Honel, Ryan Wing, Ruddy Yan or anyone else that would basically be there to fill the roster, ala Tommy Nicholson in 2003.

MarkEdward
01-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
There is no way to guess right now, but the Sox have signed several free agents that you didn't mention.

Infielders Michael Bell, Kelly Dransfeldt and Mike Gulan are all vets who will play. There is an outside chance that Dransfeldt will be in Chicago in a Graffanino type role. I'd be happy as a lark to see Josh Shaffer in Charlotte as well.

Bleh, please don't remind me of the Dransfeldt signing. If he makes the Sox, than we're in more trouble than I thought. Besides, barring any other signings, Uribe will probably be the Sox utility guy.

Bell played for Tucson last year, right? He looks like another utility guy, though not much of a hitter. Gulan looks like a good bet to start at third for the Knights.

Danny Sandoval is long gone (via the Phillies to the Rockies) and Gabe Alvarez has not been signed.

Totally forgot about Sandoval leaving. I remember reading about him signing with the Phillies in BA, but I guess he just slipped my mind.

Scott Bikowski will be in the outfield mix. Scott Morgan and Juan Piniella were not re-signed either.

It'll be interesting to see what Bikowski does this year. He's hit well in the minors throughout his career, but has yet to play in AAA.

Pitchers that could come into the mix that you did not mention are Jon Rauch, Mitch Wylie, Francisco Campos, Carlos Castillo, Ryan Kohlmeyer, Kyle Kane and Matt Smith. Matt Ginter will have to clear waivers to return to Charlotte since he is out of options.
That cloud matters enough?

I assume Rauch will make the Sox roster along with Ginter. Kane becomes a free agent after this year, right?