PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of a Sox-themed restaurant like Harry Caray's?

hsnterprize
01-10-2004, 10:14 AM
This thought has crossed my mind a couple of times, and I have to confess that if I were owner of the Sox, I'd really push for this. One of the ways the Sox can gain an edge in the P.R. war in my opinion is to open a tourist attraction-style restaurant in the downtown area that would compete with Harry Caray's. Although that won't necessarily guarantee a better Sox team on the field, I think it'll help the Sox get off the ground as far as public perception is concerned. Here's my "rough draft" idea...if anyone would like to either add to it, feel free.

If memory serves me correctly, the former Sports Authority store that's now closed is on Ontario and Rush. With all the night life like Excalibur, Hard Rock Cafe/Hotel, and other places, I think that would be a great place to put up the city's newest hot spot, "35th and Shields". It'll be a combination restaurant, nightclub, and sports bar with the amenities of casual/fine dining, conference room space, a place for people to play games and such like ESPN Zone, and all of it with a White Sox centered theme. I can imagine lots of Sox memerobilia (sp?) and such on the walls, frequent player and personnel visits to interact with fans, and simple put, a place where Sox fans can call their own place to "hang out." And putting the place in that part of the city would not only make the place a hot spot to check out, but...and I know I'm taking a risk on this, Cubs fans who are so caught up in the "Cubs good, Sox bad" mentality would get to see for themselves just how good Sox fans are and that being a Sox fan isn't as "evil" as many people make it out to be.

If I were owner of the Sox, near the day the restaurant opens to the public, I'd treat the media to a "free lunch." I'd invite every news and sports director in town to come to the place and have lunch "on the house." The selection wouldn't be the full menu, but a good sampling of what patrons would have to choose from. Afterwards, there'd be a press conference in one of the conference rooms, and that's where I'd say "Whatever the Cubs do, the Sox will do, and we'll do it better. We'll confront the Cubs on all fronts...including the restaurant business." Obviously, I'd want world-class chefs preparing the meals, and a friendly atmosphere for people to either watch the game, hold business meetings, or whatever.

35th and Shields is a catchy name for the place since that has "White Sox history" all over it. I mean, with all the big moments and historic players that played in the old Comiskey Park, why not? Maybe even the main entrance to the place can have a look like the old ballpark...just better. That's my idea. Add you own, or put in your two cents worth on the concept.

Oh by the way...if the downtown location is successful, I'd seriously consider putting up another location in the suburbs. Since there's a "Harry Caray's" in Rosemont, I'd put a "35th and Shields" somewhere in the southern suburbs like Oak Lawn or Chicago Ridge, or near Midway Airport.

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Harry Carays is Indepently Owned, separate from the Cubune.
However, the ownership group is VERY SMART to Ride the Coattails of the Cubs, by putting tons of Cub Junk on the wall, and "encouraging" cubbie players to show up there. Made you think that it was a Cub Bar didnt it? That was the perception they went for, or Brand Association.
Cubs=Fun, HarryCaraysRestaurant=Cub...Therefore Harry Carays must be a CubBar, the restaurant version of Wrigley or
in mathematical terms: If C=F & HCR=C, then HCR=F also

People arent that smart when you think about it, Tourists Flocked to Harrys in huge numbers and well, now theyve got a chain of those places. Helps that the MEDIA continued their blatant Propoganda Pieces on the Urinal, Duping tons of tourists in the process. But the Cubs, the Trib, and all the Fringe Businesses are all Laughing to the Bank.

im going on and on here, but the point is, Opening a business, you need to have a MARKET to cater to, and be able to MARKET/ADVERTISE. Opening a cubbie bar, basically runs itself. You get FREE MARKETING EVERY SINGLE DAY, WITHOUT SPENDING A DIME, courtesy of the Chicago Media/Mike Kiley types who strengthen your product and make it more Desirable Relentlessly. This Endless and Relentless "Marketing" or Cubpoganda (a term coined here) grows and determines your Market Every Day. it was a No-Brainer. The only thing HarryCarays and the Cubs in general would have to worry about, is the WHITE SOX Suddenly Fighting to take the CIty back, winning the Hearts and Minds of the all Important Casual Fans, and Tourists. Wouldnt Hurt to get 1/2 your FanBase back either.
For there to be a SOXBAR, would be going against the grain, and would take Way More Work than a HarryCarays had to do.
HCRestaurant could crap on a sandwich, and sell it as a LeonDurham Club Sandwich and it would sell. this soxconcept restaurant would have to work harder. Yeah, it can be done....Heck, Chicago is a Huge very cosmopolitan city, with around 8million people in the metro area. But it would have to overcome 22 yrs of Bad Marketing to survive .........

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 11:02 AM
.....ANd if word got around that someone was Opening a SOX themed Restaurant Bar downtown, dont think for a minute the Cubune would quickly run a piece on how the Cubs have a cubbie themed restaurant and the SOX have yet to have one.....
further Pushing the Stereotype that this is a 'cub town'.
Daley's Old Man and even Harold Washington are rolling over
in their graves .........

Northside fan
01-10-2004, 11:22 AM
The only thing HarryCarays and the Cubs in general would have to worry about, is the WHITE SOX Suddenly Fighting to take the CIty back, winning the Hearts and Minds of the all Important Casual Fans, and Tourists.

Hangar, you amuse me. For that, I thank you. I say this because the VERY THING you despise the most(casual fans/tourists that go to Wrigley who know very little about baseball), is exactly what you want for the Sox. Can you define contradict?

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Hangar, you amuse me. For that, I thank you. I say this because the VERY THING you despise the most(casual fans/tourists that go to Wrigley who know very little about baseball), is exactly what you want for the Sox. Can you define contradict?

even If I DID contradict myself, the Fact is, there are a ton
of Floppy Hat wearing, Underwater People listening, cubbie fans out there that have no clue as to the nuances of the game.
You guys were first to have that type of crowd in this town....
so it is what it is

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 11:28 AM
and For the Record Northside, the Thing I Despise the Most ,
is the Media Portrayal of the Cubs and by extension, their Fans

Northside fan
01-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
and For the Record Northside, the Thing I Despise the Most ,
is the Media Portrayal of the Cubs and by extension, their Fans

Your take on the media is that it does not report the truth about how many Cubs fans are actually Wrigley fans who really could care less about the game, correct? This, in your opinion, makes it seem that there are more Cubs fans then they actually have, correct? This is EXACTLY what you want for the Sox, correct? And again, Reinsdorf said it was a Cubs town TO THE MEDIA. Seems to me Reinsdorf is who you should direct all your anger at, not the media.

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 11:47 AM
....And again, Reinsdorf said it was a Cubs town TO THE MEDIA. Seems to me Reinsdorf is who you should direct all your anger at, not the media.

You are correct , dont think JR gets to wear the Insult-Proof
Vest around me, because I Light That Guy up on a daily basis.
The Media and Jerry Reinsdorf together, Co-Conspirators if you will, strange bedfellows as it were, Together and in perfect cohesion, are Destroying This Franchise, and at the same time,
Elevating another one. Telling you how great it is to hang out at the "shrine" and drink budweiser, and watch mediocre teams year after year? No thanks. Theyre winning now.....because theyre Spending Money, and stealing from the Weak Sister teams of the MLB. Remember, this is the Franchise that Scalps its own tickets......AND successfully Ran the Last Real Commissioner out of Office.

Northside fan
01-10-2004, 11:52 AM
You are correct , dont think JR gets to wear the Insult-Proof
Vest around me, because I Light That Guy up on a daily basis.
The Media and Jerry Reinsdorf together, Co-Conspirators if you will, strange bedfellows as it were, Together and in perfect cohesion, are Destroying This Franchise, and at the same time,
Elevating another one. Telling you how great it is to hang out at the "shrine" and drink budweiser, and watch mediocre teams year after year? No thanks. Theyre winning now.....because theyre Spending Money, and stealing from the Weak Sister teams of the MLB. Remember, this is the Franchise that Scalps its own tickets......AND successfully Ran the Last Real Commissioner out of Office.

Hangar, I love your passion man. Hopefully, god willing, we will meet at the park one day and I'll buy you a cold one. Here's to spring training.

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Hangar, I love your passion man. Hopefully, god willing, we will meet at the park one day and I'll buy you a cold one. Here is to spring training.

If its a Miller heh heh. I'll buy the next one after .......
"Pitchers and Catchers Report"

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 11:59 AM
......AND successfully Ran the Last Real Commissioner out of Office.

I have to qualify this by saying, The Cubs were responsible for Running Fay Vincent out of office, with a HUGE ASSIST by none other than our very own Jerry Reinsdorf. I saw Bud Selig
cleaning last nites snow off of Uncle Jerrys car this morning
on 35th

BeerHandle
01-10-2004, 01:59 PM
A few buddies and I have a great concept for a Sox themed bar/restaurant. We have thought about it for a while. Once we get enough cash you will see it. It might take 10 years, but you will see it.

RichFitztightly
01-10-2004, 02:16 PM
I think if you're going to make a Sox themed bar/restaurant, it'd be good to start in somewhere on the Southside. Western Ave perhaps or somewhere in Beverly or even one of the South Suburbs. The original proposition of an all-inclusive facility down-town would be way too much. If I were to do it, and put it down-town, I'd stick with a high quality dining experience and nothing else.

:gulp: :gulp:

DirtySouthsider
01-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
I think if you're going to make a Sox themed bar/restaurant, it'd be good to start in somewhere on the Southside. Western Ave perhaps or somewhere in Beverly or even one of the South Suburbs. The original proposition of an all-inclusive facility down-town would be way too much. If I were to do it, and put it down-town, I'd stick with a high quality dining experience and nothing else.

:gulp: :gulp:

I agree, put it somewhere on the southside. The last thing I would want is a superficial "Sox" bar/restaurant downtown next to Hard Rock or Rainforest Cafe. The Sox will then attract fans who know nothing about baseball...just fans looking to have a good time (which I'm sure sounds familar).

I just don't want us to turn into what we all despise.

voodoochile
01-10-2004, 03:09 PM
It should be on the ground level across the street from the ballpark when they build those high rises on the parking lot...

FJA
01-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Years ago, Ozzie Guillen was going to open a restaurant out here in Orland (and Bo Jackson a sports complex).

jabrch
01-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Hangar, while I agree that Harry's could sell poop on white bread, they don't. The fact is that HCs has awesome food. When Sammy tried to open up a place, he couldn't even find investors. Jordan's place was a miserable failure and cost lots of investors money. Theme'd restaurants around players rarely succeed. Those that do are the ones that have great food. In this city, if you put great food out a a fair price, you can make money. If you don't, no gimmick will make you money.

Go to Harry's and get the Bone-In Filet Peppercorn Style or the Chicken Vessuvio. Have the Dutchie's Salad. You can't go wrong.

Harry Carays is Indepently Owned, separate from the Cubune.
However, the ownership group is VERY SMART to Ride the Coattails of the Cubs, by putting tons of Cub Junk on the wall, and "encouraging" cubbie players to show up there. Made you think that it was a Cub Bar didnt it? That was the perception they went for, or Brand Association.
Cubs=Fun, HarryCaraysRestaurant=Cub...Therefore Harry Carays must be a CubBar, the restaurant version of Wrigley or
in mathematical terms: If C=F & HCR=C, then HCR=F also

People arent that smart when you think about it, Tourists Flocked to Harrys in huge numbers and well, now theyve got a chain of those places. Helps that the MEDIA continued their blatant Propoganda Pieces on the Urinal, Duping tons of tourists in the process. But the Cubs, the Trib, and all the Fringe Businesses are all Laughing to the Bank.

im going on and on here, but the point is, Opening a business, you need to have a MARKET to cater to, and be able to MARKET/ADVERTISE. Opening a cubbie bar, basically runs itself. You get FREE MARKETING EVERY SINGLE DAY, WITHOUT SPENDING A DIME, courtesy of the Chicago Media/Mike Kiley types who strengthen your product and make it more Desirable Relentlessly. This Endless and Relentless "Marketing" or Cubpoganda (a term coined here) grows and determines your Market Every Day. it was a No-Brainer. The only thing HarryCarays and the Cubs in general would have to worry about, is the WHITE SOX Suddenly Fighting to take the CIty back, winning the Hearts and Minds of the all Important Casual Fans, and Tourists. Wouldnt Hurt to get 1/2 your FanBase back either.
For there to be a SOXBAR, would be going against the grain, and would take Way More Work than a HarryCarays had to do.
HCRestaurant could crap on a sandwich, and sell it as a LeonDurham Club Sandwich and it would sell. this soxconcept restaurant would have to work harder. Yeah, it can be done....Heck, Chicago is a Huge very cosmopolitan city, with around 8million people in the metro area. But it would have to overcome 22 yrs of Bad Marketing to survive .........

RichFitztightly
01-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Years ago, Ozzie Guillen was going to open a restaurant out here in Orland (and Bo Jackson a sports complex).

I believe Ozzie did open a restaurant in the South Suburbs. To my recollection it was named Rajun' Cajun. We went there a couple of years after New Comiskey opened and after our dinner, the waitress gave us about 10 free tickets to a Sox game. (We had about 7 people in our dinner party). I remember we asked the waitress why we got the tickets. I was about 14 years old at the time and to the best of my recollection she said that Ozzie owned the restaurant and was able to give away tickets. I seem to recall that the food wan't bad. However it closed down since then.

ewokpelts
01-10-2004, 04:01 PM
...great idea...but it might not work...i think the sports authority location is under deveolpment...also, i dont think espnzone(who's owned by espn/disney, who just coincidentally owns the sox flagship radio station) would like a place that's "like espn zone, but with the sox only!"....a south loop location might be better(more land, and not as über-expensive)...if the sox owned it, they should use it as a remote ticketmaster location(no service charges)....and as a "city desk" like spot to promote the club...however...i feel IF THEY BUILT IT...it's just be like the stadium club
Gene

ewokpelts
01-10-2004, 04:04 PM
I believe Ozzie did open a restaurant in the South Suburbs. To my recollection it was named Rajun' Cajun. We went there a couple of years after New Comiskey opened and after our dinner, the waitress gave us about 10 free tickets to a Sox game. (We had about 7 people in our dinner party). I remember we asked the waitress why we got the tickets. I was about 14 years old at the time and to the best of my recollection she said that Ozzie owned the restaurant and was able to give away tickets. I seem to recall that the food wan't bad. However it closed down since then.

I think there was supossed to be a ozzie/sox sports bar in orland too..i remember driving past it when i saw friends in orland....
as for bo...he buys cars in countryside...not sure about eh sports complex though...i've heard whispers that orland park and the sox built a private/public sports facilty that sw burbs based players use when not at the cell....
Gene

Palehose13
01-10-2004, 04:27 PM
I've never been, but hear the commercials so here is the question: Is "Shoeless Joes" a sox themed bar (or restaurant)?

CubKilla
01-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I've never been, but hear the commercials so here is the question: Is "Shoeless Joes" a sox themed bar (or restaurant)?

They advertise themselves as, to paraphrase, "the northside location to watch the southside baseball team play." All Sox games are shown throughout the season. It's located in Rosemont I believe.

nut_stock
01-10-2004, 07:16 PM
In all fairness, if there was to be a Sox themed restaraunt downtown to attract the tourist crowd you'd have to market around Shoeless Joe Jackson. He and the Black Sox are perhaps the only piece of history out of towners know about the White Sox. Harry Carry was a "legend" on a nation wide scale. The legacy of Shoeless Joe is all we've got to counter that with.

DirtySouthsider
01-10-2004, 08:44 PM
I thought it was called Shoeless Joe's because that's how his ex-wife left him......Shoeless!

duke of dorwood
01-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Voodoo is right-it should be tied to the park-and maybe not a restaurant-would have to be a place to bring in the young crowd. Maybe a multi-entertainment place-something original. If we open one down town, it will always be compared to Caray's

StillMissOzzie
01-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
They advertise themselves as, to paraphrase, "the northside location to watch the southside baseball team play." All Sox games are shown throughout the season. It's located in Rosemont I believe.

At the corner of Higgins and Mannheim, to be precise. Just a hop, skip, & a jump south of the Rosemont Horizon...ooops, I mean the Allstate Arena. I've also heard that some of the Wolves go there after home games.

SMO
:gulp:

Realist
01-11-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm actually presently considering opening a White Sox bar/restaurant and this thread has really got my juices going. I'm thinking the south Loop is the way to go. It's really up and coming and most importantly, it's south of Madison and I think it's essential that this be the case if you want karma on your side.

If anybody else has any ideas, lay 'em out. I'm all ears.

hsnterprize
01-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Realist
I'm actually presently considering opening a White Sox bar/restaurant and this thread has really got my juices going. I'm thinking the south Loop is the way to go. It's really up and coming and most importantly, it's south of Madison and I think it's essential that this be the case if you want karma on your side.

If anybody else has any ideas, lay 'em out. I'm all ears. Wow!!!!! Best of luck to you in your venture. The only reason why I put this thread up is because I'd been thinking about a place like this for a few days. While I'm in no capacity to open a restaurant or anything like that, I as a Sox fan feel that if our team is to compete for the "hearts and minds of the casual fan", then not only dows our team have to succeed on the field where it's most important, but also off the field where the P.R. war is often fought.

hsnterprize
01-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Hangar, I love your passion man. Hopefully, god willing, we will meet at the park one day and I'll buy you a cold one. Here's to spring training. That's the one thing you gotta love about the folks here at WSI...say what you will about our team, but you can't deny our passion for the Sox. Now if only more people knew about this passion...who knows...maybe the perception about the Sox and those who are Sox fans might be different.

I raise a toast...to passionate fans of the Cubs and White Sox. May the rivalry between our two teams be as intense as every come this season. And to any serious Cub fan who wants to talk baseball with us...you're welcome to do so, but post at your own risk.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

ewokpelts
01-11-2004, 12:59 PM
well.....
a south loop location would be ideal...but a near west side location(by the uc perhaps?) could work as well....the sox draw a lot of fans from the west burbs, and a place on the way to the cell could work.....a location closer teo the cell would be a decent bet....i think there were a few spots along the west side of teh ryan by 31st that havent deen deveolped.....could work...
Gene

Realist
01-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
well.....
a south loop location would be ideal...but a near west side location(by the uc perhaps?) could work as well....the sox draw a lot of fans from the west burbs, and a place on the way to the cell could work.....a location closer teo the cell would be a decent bet....i think there were a few spots along the west side of teh ryan by 31st that havent deen deveolped.....could work...
Gene

By the UC would be a nice location. I could also see a satellite location opening up near the park in 10-15 years.

I'm thinking a hybrid of Jimbo's, Harry Carey's, Rosebud's and Hooters might be the ticket.

I kinda like the look of this place. http://www.alarys.com

depy48
01-12-2004, 01:17 AM
I think its a good idea, but the scary thought is having only whitesox fans in one place. Jeez with all of us there
#1 the city will be defenseless
#2 no one would go home, because sox fans love to talk to other sox fans

bestkosher
01-12-2004, 09:14 AM
I think this sox/themed restaurant could be built on 35th near Lindy's , there is alot of failing businesses around there and they could be easily snatched up and turned into a Sox court. For example there is a grocery store there, not jewels, that is always changing hands, turn that into a sports shop, like grandstand with a possible restaurant attached,

FJA
01-12-2004, 10:21 AM

Not sure about Rajun' Cajun, but the restaurant I'm taking about was going to be called "Ozzie Guillen's Legends," IIRC. It was going to be on 159th between Harlem and 94th Ave. Years ago, there was a sign advertising the restaurant as "coming soon."