PDA

View Full Version : If you were a manager what wouldn't you tolerate?

chisox06
01-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Just so more offseason BS here but I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on this. If you managed a major league ball club, what wouldn't you tolerate out of your players?

For me my two biggest things would be to actually RUN to first base on a routine grounder/ popup. You see it time and time again throughout the year, player hits a grounder he jogs down to first, defense bobbles the ball, recovers and they get the runner by a step or the ball gets lost in the sun, instead of a double the runner is on first. If I saw this happening, you would sit, I dont care how great you are, these guys get paid more money in a year than I'll prolly see in my lifetime so the LEAST you can do is run it out.

Also, there would be no "homerun struttin" down to first base, I dont care how hard you think you hit it, its not a homer till its gone. We all saw Jacque Jones in the playoffs two years ago, he struts down to first thinkin he got it all, ball hits off the wall and when its all said and done, he's standin on first instead of a definite double/possible triple. I would sub him out for a pinch runner and give him a bus ticket home, 100% absoloutely uncalled for.

This is another reason why I like Ozzie, I think the sox are one of the worst teams when it comes to doggin it on the field, and we all know one thing for sure, Oz won't tolerate that crap. Thoughts?

StockdaleForVeep
01-10-2004, 01:27 AM
i wouldnt tolerate homerun jogs, id want them to run it out and then slide into home like a play at the plate, hell, may give some of the players some speed.

That and i wouldnt tolerate pitchers who are only good for 1 batter, granted im a huge kelly wunsch fan, im confident he can go more than .1 inning a game

finally i wouldnt tolerate the press tellin me what i should do are start rumor mills, if possible i would not be around if press came to talk to me

hose
01-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Mental mistakes for one.

Hit the cut off man, throw to the right base, back up the play, read the signs correctly, do all the fundamentals, including hustling on every play .

miker
01-10-2004, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't tolerate betting on baseball games.

Especialy my own.

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Mental Mistakes. I would be absolutely LIVID. Throw to
the wrong base once, and see what happens. or Pitchers
that forget to Cover Home, letting an easy run score.....
*&(*^(*&(*&*&(*^&(*^&^&^$$@!!!!
on that note......My Team Will Learn to BUNT. there will always
be 4 or 5 crucial times during the year We Need a Perfect Bunt Laid down, and those Jokers had better lay it down for me ........

oldcomiskey
01-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Mike Ditka and Al Davis come to mind----

if a player dogs it out there, hes gonna have trouble with me beause I never did that---Ditka on his 89 Bears

Just win, baby--------

all I would want is that the clubhouse BS stopped and we got down to the reason as to why we were here--and thats winning a championship----you dont have to be a butthole to win at this level---but you do have to teach fundamentals the right way..

the singles hitters would learn to bunt and hit and run and hit behind runners and steal bases----now come on now---do you really believe that Ozzie is gonna have Frank bunt

jabrch
01-10-2004, 11:28 AM
I would not tolerate anyone taking team issues outside of the clubhouse - particularly to the media.

I would not tolerate fighting amongst the team.

I would not tolerate poor fundamentals.

I would not tolerate selfishness (not sacrificing, moving runners, hitting behind runners, etc.)

StepsInSC
01-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Corked bats.

Steroid use.

jabrch
01-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Corked bats.

Steroid use.

you left out beating your wife with a rum bottle, loud music in the clubhouse and getting arrested for driving on expired liscense.

ondafarm
01-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Poor fundamentals (head not in the game) would get you immediately benched.

Two examples come to mind:

a) WS-Cubs series, Cubs have man at second, one out, weak grounder to short, Valentin throws to Graffanino who tags the bag, but not the runner. Runner safe.

b) Cubs-? Todd Hundley on first, lead runner on second, single to outfield, lead runner stops at third, Hundley rounds second and heads into third. Out recorded with two runners at third.

In both cases, I as manager would immediately call time and sub for the player. Not yell at them, but sit them down immediately.

Nick@Nite
01-10-2004, 03:54 PM
... any damn whining like little bitches. I would concentrate on two particular areas.

1) Pitchers need to pitch inside -- knock hitters on their ass if you have to. Everything is stacked against pitchers; rabbit baseballs, the lowering of the mound, loaded bats, being squeezed as far as the strike zone is concerned, etc... I would always tell my pitchers to not take any crap. I don't advocate headhunting, but some Rage-Against-The-Machine-type-chin-music every so often is not a bad thing.

2) Run to 1st base as if your life depends on it. I would reinforce this with the use of the bulletin board... posting articles such as the following http://www.fsmpio.fm/archives/2003/september2003/a_true_american_wounded_soldier_.htm ... millionaire athletes need to be reminded that courage is not getting your damn stats, it's facing danger or hardship with confidence and resolution... some people would love to be able to run out ground balls.

CubKilla
01-10-2004, 05:08 PM
A cheap owner who fails to address the holes created by himself during the offseason. An owner that gives up on the season and "white flags" in July when the team is 3 games out of first. An owner that cares more about his bottom-line than fielding a competitive team.

JGarlandrules20
01-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Just so more offseason BS here but I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on this. If you managed a major league ball club, what wouldn't you tolerate out of your players?

First, I wouldn't allow jogging to first base on a ground ball. It makes them look so lazy and some plays the throw is really close and if they would have just put that extra effort they might have gotten there in time. And when a player is running faster it makes the fielder think they've got to get rid of the ball quicker which can cause more errors. Also, I wouldn't allow any getting mad at the umps for called 3rd strike. I mean a look back is OK..but standing there for like 3mins?..He made up his mind already and he's never going to change it. And like others have said.. when running the bases for a hr.. no unsportsman stuff like leisurely walking around the bases..or looking up to the sky.. or those annoying hops out of the batters box.

cubhater
01-11-2004, 02:23 PM
Not running full-speed to first on ANY hit ball, even a pop-up to the first baseman.

Mental errors/not having your head in the game.

Showboating of any kind.

Whining to the media. Keep it in the clubhouse.