PDA

View Full Version : Josh Beckett

danman31
09-04-2001, 05:05 PM
He is starting vs. the Cubs today, but the thing I noticed is that he has never pitched before. He is a top prospect, considered the top prospect in all of baseball by some, so why is he coming up with labor problems? If he stays in the minors the Marlins can play him there for next year if there is no baseball next year, but for now he is only gonna gain a little experience and the Marlins are way out of the race and in 4th place. So my question to you all is why did the Marlins bring him up?

Randar68
09-04-2001, 05:15 PM
He is starting vs. the Cubs today, but the thing I noticed is that he has never pitched before. He is a top prospect, considered the top prospect in all of baseball by some, so why is he coming up with labor problems? If he stays in the minors the Marlins can play him there for next year if there is no baseball next year, but for now he is only gonna gain a little experience and the Marlins are way out of the race and in 4th place. So my question to you all is why did the Marlins bring him up?

My guess is that they aren't intending to play him in the Summer or Fall leagues, with the expectation that he should get a winter's worth of rest, recouperation, and training under his belt, and the expectation of him making the rotation out of spring training next year....

danman31
09-04-2001, 05:27 PM
My guess is that they aren't intending to play him in the Summer or Fall leagues, with the expectation that he should get a winter's worth of rest, recouperation, and training under his belt, and the expectation of him making the rotation out of spring training next year....

That's true, but there might not be a next year. Thanks for the help.

Randar68
09-04-2001, 05:31 PM
That's true, but there might not be a next year. Thanks for the help.

Well, while there seems likely to be a lockout for at least a short time, I don't think you're going to see anything like 1994. I really doubt there is going to be any lost time, maybe a shortened spring training, but you would still lose the option of playing in a winter league or MLB sanctioned fall-league....

LongDistanceFan
09-04-2001, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

My guess is that they aren't intending to play him in the Summer or Fall leagues, with the expectation that he should get a winter's worth of rest, recouperation, and training under his belt, and the expectation of him making the rotation out of spring training next year.... or maybe the contract to too big and therefor they are trying to save some money, if there is a stoppage (sp).

KempersRS
09-04-2001, 08:44 PM
Beckett is sticking it to the Cubs. 1 hit through six innings. 8-0 Fish.

danman31
09-04-2001, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I didn't even know who he was until yesterday. Now he is one of my favorite non White Sox players(at least for tonight) because he is beating the Cubs!