PDA

View Full Version : Levine: Maddux Update

BeerHandle
01-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Bruce Levine is reporting that the Cubs are close to signing Maddux. The talk heated up quickly after Tavarez signed with the Cardinals.

I would have liked Maddux. I don't care what people say about him playing in the AL. He is a great pitcher and great fielder!!! With Maddux, the Cubs will have a great starting rotation. The Sox, still incomplete!

CHISOXFAN13
01-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Bruce Levine is reporting that the Cubs are close to signing Maddux. The talk heated up quickly after Tavarez signed with the Cardinals.

I would have liked Maddux. I don't care what people say about him playing in the AL. He is a great pitcher and great fielder!!! With Maddux, the Cubs will have a great starting rotation. The Sox, still incomplete!

You can't make the guy want to play in the AL. He's turned down more money in the past to continue playing in the NL, and regardless of what we offered or any other AL team for that matter, he wasn't going to leave the NL.

34 Inch Stick
01-09-2004, 05:24 PM
That starting rotation would be incredible. Prior, Maddux, Wodd, Clement and Zambrano all give you a chance to win every day. At the very least there is no suck in that group. Very few rotations can boast no suck.

BeerHandle
01-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
That starting rotation would be incredible. Prior, Maddux, Wodd, Clement and Zambrano all give you a chance to win every day. At the very least there is no suck in that group. Very few rotations can boast no suck.

If any of them ever got hurt, Cruz (spelling) isn't a bad #5 either! I hate the flubs!

KingXerxes
01-09-2004, 05:46 PM
I have to wonder how much Maddux has left in him these days.

BeerHandle
01-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

He probably has enough in the tank to have more wins then are 4th and 5th combined!

Foulke You
01-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

I was thinking the same thing. Remember how Maddux was getting clobbered in the early part of last season? We're not talking giving up 5 or 6 runs, he was getting HAMMERED to the tune of double digit runs for a while and media outlets like ESPN were speculating if he was starting to decline. He finally settled down and had a decent second half to the season but I have to wonder how much he has left in the tank? How would an aging Maddux fare pitching in the Wrigley launching pad?

I don't blame Cubs management though, at least they appear to be going for it. This could also be a smokescreen response to the Astros Clemens talk.

munchman33
01-09-2004, 08:37 PM

Hendry has said that regardless of whether or not the Cubs sign another starter, Juan Cruz would be the fifth starter because he earned the opportunity. That means another starter, most likely Clement, will be dealt. That also makes a Maddux deal feasible money-wise.

RKMeibalane
01-09-2004, 09:38 PM
I'll say this much for the Cubs: they are making an effort to get better. That's more than I can say for the White Sox at this point, the Nomar deal nonwithstanding.

I realize that KW has been handcuffed with the sixty-million-dollar payroll, but I don't understand why he isn't out there shopping for bargains, players who may be coming off bad years and should be relatively cheap. Other teams are signing players to minor league deals all the time. The players in question then have an opportunity to make the club in Spring Traning. If they do, great. If not, the team doesn't lose much.

Williams made a nice move before last season by getting Loaiza. He needs to be looking for similar players. There are people out there who could help the club. It's just a matter of going after them.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what Steve Avery's status is? I don't know how much he has left in the tank, but he could probably provide some bullpen help, and he may even be able to start. He was terrible with Detroit last season, but he might be someone the Sox should at least look at. If he doesn't perform well in ST, then they can cut him loose and they wouldn't be any worse off than they are now. But if he pitched well, the Sox might have someone who fill a hole for them.

Daver
01-09-2004, 09:42 PM
The agent for Greg Maddux is Scott Boras.

munchman33
01-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I'll say this much for the Cubs: they are making an effort to get better. That's more than I can say for the White Sox at this point, the Nomar deal nonwithstanding.

I realize that KW has been handcuffed with the sixty-million-dollar payroll, but I don't understand why he isn't out there shopping for bargains, players who may be coming off bad years and should be relatively cheap. Other teams are signing players to minor league deals all the time. The players in question then have an opportunity to make the club in Spring Traning. If they do, great. If not, the team doesn't lose much.

Williams made a nice move before last season by getting Loaiza. He needs to be looking for similar players. There are people out there who could help the club. It's just a matter of going after them.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what Steve Avery's status is? I don't know how much he has left in the tank, but he could probably provide some bullpen help, and he may even be able to start. He was terrible with Detroit last season, but he might be someone the Sox should at least look at. If he doesn't perform well in ST, then they can cut him loose and they wouldn't be any worse off than they are now. But if he pitched well, the Sox might have someone who fill a hole for them.

I think Avery is still under contract from Detroit. Not sure about that though...

RKMeibalane
01-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I think Avery is still under contract from Detroit. Not sure about that though...

MLB.com doesn't have him listed with any team right now. Again, I don't know if Avery has anything left, but KW should at least look into to signing someone like him. Anything is better than just sitting around.

MRKARNO
01-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Here we have the CUbs making a whole-hearted effort to make a run at the World Series and we have the White Sox making no effort to get to that point.

What a sad world we live in...

lowesox
01-09-2004, 11:28 PM
How much is Maddux looking for money-wise? I think his signing could be a huge mistake. Paying a lot of money to older pitchers usually backfires - even when they're as good as Maddux is.

Grobber33
01-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Juan Cruz has'nt 'earned' anything except perhaps more time in Des Moines. He's scary to watch unless you are rooting against the Cubs which most of you are of course. I for one would rather have Danny Wright as my 5th starter than Cruz. He 'wets the bed' more often than not on the mound. At least Wright has some nads,,Cruz does'nt!! I'd rather have Clement than Cruz OR Zambrano.

StillMissOzzie
01-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
How much is Maddux looking for money-wise? I think his signing could be a huge mistake. Paying a lot of money to older pitchers usually backfires - even when they're as good as Maddux is.

No idea of the accuracy of this, but the Sun-Times beat reporter said the Maddux would have to come down from his 2 yrs/ $20 M demand for the Scrubs to take him.

SMO

CubKilla
01-10-2004, 12:32 AM

If we sucked half as bad as the Cubs did from '90-'98, we'd probably have a hell of a young rotation too.

Blowing goats for almost a decade does have advantages down the line.

DrCrawdad
01-10-2004, 01:20 AM
I don't. The pitching rotation - save the 5th spot - is established
and successful. Adding Maddux has almost no upside and plenty of
downside.

It would be typical Cubs, though - letting him go for the productive
part of his career only to overpay once he's past his prime.

Signing Maddux is looking backward. The 5th spot should be used to
move the future from the minors into the Show.

I'd hate to see him sign with the Cubs. He is likely approaching serious decline at a time when the one thing the Cubs have is excellent pitching prospects, many just about ready for the majors. I think the stuff about him being a good influence on the young pitchers is ridiculous - he has never had that influence or relationship in the past so it's silly to think he would suddenly develop it. Could happen, but there is no reason to think it will. He has not succeeded with Atlanta in the playoffs, so there is no "veteran leadership/playoff experience" factor that means anything. He's famously cantankerous and though the Braves always did a good job of keeping any dissension inside the clubhouse, his refusal to pitch to Lopez cannot have been a positive thing. I see nothing good about him signing with the Cubs.

When you factor in money and the fact that pitching is the team's strength, it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

miker
01-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Will they be installing the electronic "training" equipment for the strike zone at Wrigley? (Sorry, I forgot what it is called.) I would love to see Maddux get lit up at Wrigley once he actually has to throw strikes over the plate as opposed to the left-handed batters box.

jabrch
01-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
Juan Cruz has'nt 'earned' anything except perhaps more time in Des Moines. He's scary to watch unless you are rooting against the Cubs which most of you are of course. I for one would rather have Danny Wright as my 5th starter than Cruz. He 'wets the bed' more often than not on the mound. At least Wright has some nads,,Cruz does'nt!! I'd rather have Clement than Cruz OR Zambrano.

While I agree Clement is a better pitcher, they aren't likely to trade Z due to his contract status. If someone goes, it is Clement. I agree with out 100% on Cruz - If somehow they convince Maddux to forget how poorly Stanton Cook and Larry Himes treated him, then they should send Cruz to the first taker for a bag of jelly beans. I am sure someone will take him off their hands for a mid-upper level IF prospect that the cubs desperately need - perhaps a 1B or a SS?

jabrch
01-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by miker
Will they be installing the electronic "training" equipment for the strike zone at Wrigley? (Sorry, I forgot what it is called.) I would love to see Maddux get lit up at Wrigley once he actually has to throw strikes over the plate as opposed to the left-handed batters box.

I didn't know Wrigley was going to be a Questrack stadium. Is this true?

miker
01-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
I didn't know Wrigley was going to be a Questrack stadium. Is this true?
I don't know...that's why I asked. I thought the long-range plan was to put it everywhere.

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Here we have the CUbs making a whole-hearted effort to make a run at the World Series and we have the White Sox making no effort to get to that point.

What a sad world we live in...

The Cubs are FILLING every Hole they have ..........
and even ADDING PITCHERS. The Goat will have a very hard
time overcoming all these good players theyve added.
Lets see, cubs add Derek Lee, Todd Walker, RP from the Braves,
verge of signing Greg Maddux, and will likely get IRodriguez cheap. Stole Ramirez, Lofton, Simon from the Pirates for virtually nothing, aquired The Messiah because another AL team refused to draft him. The Cubs are Tremendously Lucky that their Direct Competition in the same Market they Share is Run
by a Foolish Tyrannical Owner who has been running his franchise into the ground and doing a Tremendous job of Alienating his Very Dedicated FanBase the last 10yrs .........
Oh...to counter all of that, we traded for Jose Uribe.

PINWHEELS
01-10-2004, 10:10 AM
I don't like the cubs either, but this a great pick up for them, he will give them about 10 to 15 wins. JR start spending your damm money NOW!

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
If we sucked half as bad as the Cubs did from '90-'98, we'd probably have a hell of a young rotation too.

Blowing goats for almost a decade does have advantages down the line.

LMAO he hheh hhehhhehhehhee. this is the part people forget....this Franchise has been Brutal. To admit you were a fan is to Admit your a Moron, I dont care how much paint and perfume The Media puts on the subject ..........

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
I don't like the cubs either, but this a great pick up for them, he will give them about 10 to 15 wins. JR start spending your damm money NOW!

Pinwheels, whats up brother? Post More man. Maddux will find new life in club wrigley, though he Will Get Injured I predict.
I hope they do sign him because: they'll spend big $$$$$$
I hope they DONT sign him : THe Media Love-Stories, "coming home" will never Cease with Mike Kiley. Kiley is having a very wet dream about this ........ this will be worth 37 "stories" for him. Anybody seen His Journalistic Integrity? He lost it a number of years ago ............

PINWHEELS
01-10-2004, 10:45 AM
HANGER 18 How are you doing, i will see you at sox fest post party in hotel bar on the sat. night.

BeerHandle
01-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The Cubs are FILLING every Hole they have ..........
and even ADDING PITCHERS. The Goat will have a very hard
time overcoming all these good players theyve added.
Lets see, cubs add Derek Lee, Todd Walker, RP from the Braves,
verge of signing Greg Maddux, and will likely get IRodriguez cheap. Stole Ramirez, Lofton, Simon from the Pirates for virtually nothing, aquired The Messiah because another AL team refused to draft him. The Cubs are Tremendously Lucky that their Direct Competition in the same Market they Share is Run
by a Foolish Tyrannical Owner who has been running his franchise into the ground and doing a Tremendous job of Alienating his Very Dedicated FanBase the last 10yrs .........
Oh...to counter all of that, we traded for Jose Uribe.

I CONCUR!

BeerHandle
01-12-2004, 01:54 PM
With Clemens deciding to play for the Stros when will the Flubs sign Maddux? I hope they don't!!

oheeoh...magglio
01-12-2004, 02:08 PM
With Clemens deciding to play for the Stros when will the Flubs sign Maddux? I hope they don't!!

I would be surprised if the Cubs don't sign Maddux now that Clemens is heading to the Astros.

Tekijawa
01-12-2004, 02:10 PM
You have to remember that Wood, Prior, Zambrano, and Patterson will all have to be signed to long-term/Highpriced contracts with in the next year... I have a feeling that unless Maddux agrees to a bargan basement contract, that the cubs are pretty much done with FA's this off season.

Vsahajpal
01-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33

And for that you suck.

Tekijawa
01-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Wouldn't the Cards be more likely now that they are really behind the 8-ball now... I also see that the Padre's are almost in agreement for a trade for Kendall, with the Pirates paying a lot of the contract. I know he wanted to pla yout there to begin with, I wouldn't automatically send him to the north side just yet!

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 02:11 PM
From www.mlb.com

CHICAGO -- One angle for the Chicago Cubs' 2004 ad campaign is, "How's this for starters?" featuring the team's foursome of Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Matt Clement and Carlos Zambrano.
How about Greg Maddux, too?

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry has talked to Maddux's agent, Scott Boras, and said he is interested in the free-agent pitcher, who could return to the team where he began his big-league career. Maddux was the Cubs' second-round draft pick in June 1984 and won his first Cy Young with the team in 1992 when he went 20-11 with a 2.18 ERA.

Maddux, who turns 38 in April, earned $14.75 million with the Atlanta Braves last year. Hendry does have a budget, and Maddux would have to accept less to sign with the Cubs. Sources said the Cubs have not made a formal offer to the right-hander, who was 16-11 with a 3.96 ERA with the Braves.

Hendry, Cubs manager Dusty Baker and the players will likely be peppered with questions about Maddux from fans at this weekend's Cubs Convention.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040113&content_id=627500&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Iwritecode
01-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Hendry, Cubs manager Dusty Baker and the players will likely be peppered with questions about Maddux from fans at this weekend's Cubs Convention.

This is getting a little off-topic but has anyone ever been to the Cubs convention?

I talked to a guy last year (at Soxfest no less) that said that when comparing the two, Soxfest is run much better. He said that instead of having a set number of autographs that each player will sign, they have a time limit instead. Which means you could be standing in line for a couple of hours and if you don’t get there before the time limit is up, you are out of luck. He also said it was quite crowded and that they kept some of the bigger name players in separate rooms where the regular crowd couldn’t even see them.

I guess for an organization that scalps their own tickets, none of it really surprises me…

BeerHandle
01-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
This is getting a little off-topic but has anyone ever been to the Cubs convention?

I talked to a guy last year (at Soxfest no less) that said that when comparing the two, Soxfest is run much better. He said that instead of having a set number of autographs that each player will sign, they have a time limit instead. Which means you could be standing in line for a couple of hours and if you don’t get there before the time limit is up, you are out of luck. He also said it was quite crowded and that they kept some of the bigger name players in separate rooms where the regular crowd couldn’t even see them.

I guess for an organization that scalps their own tickets, none of it really surprises me…

I have never been and never will. I just don't hope they sign Maddux before their fest because it would be chaos and the media will be going crazy!

Iwritecode
01-13-2004, 02:46 PM
I have never been and never will. I just don't hope they sign Maddux before their fest because it would be chaos and the media will be going crazy!

Well, the caravan starts tomorrow and the convention is this Friday.

Doesn't really give them a lot of time to do anything.

CubKilla
01-13-2004, 03:41 PM
For what it's worth, Peggy Kuzinski (sp?), after the Lovey press conference, announced Maddux to the Cubs is a done deal and will be announced at the beginning of Loserpalooza.

If the Cub's Convention is Loserpalooza, what's SoxFest considering the Cubs are the "losers" acting like a MLB team?

Grobber33
01-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
And for that you suck.

I'm flattered you remember that bit!!! Glad somebody does.

ode to veeck
01-13-2004, 03:52 PM
If the Cub's Convention is Loserpalooza, what's SoxFest considering the Cubs are the "losers" acting like a MLB team?

"JR's Follies"?

"Take the last train to Chokesville"?

"I've got fishooks in my pockets (and can't get any salary out)"?

"The EOC, or eternal optimists convention, for those who believe a team with several missing pieces will miraculously win the worst division in baseball"?

"I've been slapped down so long (by JR's PR), it feels like up to me"?

"Miracle on 35th Street"?

Iwritecode
01-13-2004, 04:14 PM
For what it's worth, Peggy Kuzinski (sp?), after the Lovey press conference, announced Maddux to the Cubs is a done deal and will be announced at the beginning of Loserpalooza.

So they've gone from not making a formal proposal to a done deal that quickly?

Tekijawa
01-13-2004, 04:18 PM
So they've gone from not making a formal proposal to a done deal that quickly?

That's generally how signing a Free Agent works... Unless you're the Sox. Then it Goes from Formal proposal to Press release saying that "we were a close second in the bidding for _______ and __________ made an outrageous offer for their services"

Lip Man 1
01-13-2004, 07:00 PM
For what it's worth last night on the WGN-TV Sports Dan Rohn made a comment that I thought was malicious and out of character for him.

They showed the comments from Clemens about his two oldest sons giving him an Astros hat on Christmas, telling him to wear it and how much the boys wanted him to pitch in Houston.

When the clip ended Rohn said on camera...'yea, yea (sarcastically) and then mentioned about how when the Cubs sign Maddux things will be great.

Lip

dickallen15
01-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth last night on the WGN-TV Sports Dan Rohn made a comment that I thought was malicious and out of character for him.

They showed the comments from Clemens about his two oldest sons giving him an Astros hat on Christmas, telling him to wear it and how much the boys wanted him to pitch in Houston.

When the clip ended Rohn said on camera...'yea, yea (sarcastically) and then mentioned about how when the Cubs sign Maddux things will be great.

Lip

I saw that too. I think Roan was mocking the dramatic Christmas present story the Rocket was telling all the Houston reporters. It was a tad corny.

Lip Man 1
01-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Dick;

It may have been corny but from what I've read about the Clemens family they are pretty tight.

I just think Dan was out of line with his remarks, he's there to report the sports not make personal comments on it because the situation may have been exactly as Clemens described.

If I didn't know better I'd think he was a might concerned about his Cubs.

Lip

TornLabrum
01-13-2004, 11:14 PM

Back in the day when I maintained a secondary rooting interest in the Cubs, we went to the Cubs convention. In fact we were able to get a room at the Hilton the day before we made it there.

I can't give a comparison of how it is now, but I'd say that SoxFest is better organized and more fair to the fans seeking autographs. Although I have to admit I was able to get autographs from former Sox players and broadcasters Jack Brickhouse, Jimmy Piersall, and Phil Cavaretta (who did a Ron Santo and finished his career with the Sox).

BeerHandle
01-14-2004, 10:30 AM
The Cubs have a two year/$15 mil deal on the table with Maddux. He is suppose to announce his decision by the end of the day.

Can the Sox get one good pitcher? How about Ponson?

Stoky44
01-15-2004, 04:49 PM

Can the Sox get one good pitcher? How about Ponson?

HE GONE!!!! to the O's

BeerHandle
01-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
HE GONE!!!! to the O's

I think we all knew that! Tell us something new....are the Flubs going to get Maddux?

Hullett_Fan
01-15-2004, 05:22 PM
I think we all knew that! Tell us something new....are the Flubs going to get Maddux?

Yes .

Twin Killing
01-15-2004, 05:50 PM

This from Boras cubune today:

"There are a number of teams still involved."

Boras declined to discuss particulars of the Cubs' offer, but he implied it was significantly higher than the $15 million estimate reported Tuesday.

Sounds like typical Boras bull****. It worked with Tom Hicks, but I doubt anyone's buying it anymore. I'd be surprised if Maddux does not take the cub money. Just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

BeerHandle
01-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Yes .

Good to see your alive.

Brian26
01-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Nice to see that it appears the Maddux deal won't be wrapped up before the Cubbie Kool-Aid Convention downtown this weekend.

DrCrawdad
01-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Nice to see that it appears the Maddux deal won't be wrapped up before the Cubbie Kool-Aid Convention downtown this weekend.

Yeah, they'll wait for SoxFest.

Brian26
01-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Yeah, they'll wait for SoxFest.

You mean the Sox will announce they've signed Maddux at Soxfest?

jabrch
01-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
You mean the Sox will announce they've signed Maddux at Soxfest?

Yes, the Tribune has bought SoxFest and have changed the agenda a bit.

BeerHandle
02-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Maddux turned down the Giants offer. The Score is reporting the Cubs have offered more money. Maddux to decide in the next fe days. Dear God!!!!

CubKilla
02-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Maddux turned down the Giants offer. The Score is reporting the Cubs have offered more money. Maddux to decide in the next fe days. Dear God!!!!

They'll need Maddux when Wood and Zambrano go down.

BeerHandle
02-14-2004, 02:11 PM
They'll need Maddux when Wood and Zambrano go down.

I never hope that a player gets hurt, but that would be a blessing!!

SEALgep
02-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't believe he makes a decision until the Dodger's hire a GM. He has stated that he would like to have a decision before ST, but has also stated that it isn't necessary. He says after 20 years, he knows how to prepare for a season, and will make a decision when it's right. He's not going to get pressured into anything, basically.

BeerHandle
02-16-2004, 08:36 AM
The Score is reporting that Maddux will sign with the Cubs today.

gosox41
02-17-2004, 09:09 AM
The Score is reporting that Maddux will sign with the Cubs today.

Wrong again Bruce. At least it wasn't on the 16th.

Bob

DrCrawdad
02-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Monday afternoon "Baseball Insider" Bruce LeVineLine said
that there would be a press conference Wednesday with the Cubs announcing
that they'd signed Maddux.

pearso66
02-17-2004, 11:01 AM
I've been to a cubs thing, although it wasn't a convention, it was held at Wrigley. I was too young to remember a lot of the details, probably 8-10, but I do remember time limits on autographs, I was probably 200 in line and couldnt get one. Also the players were very high on themselves. I remember passing a few and said hi, and none of them even looked, just kept walking. Now I know some do this, but you think they'd take the time to say hi to a kid? I Cant compare to soxfest as I've never been. But I have to say it was poorly run, and was a waste of time, My parents said they'd never go to another one again, and before long the Cubs were wrote off completely.