PDA

View Full Version : Piersall Quotes re: Sox on The Score

Clarkdog
01-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Not sure if anyone was listening to Murph and Fred yesterday, but Jimmy Piersall was particulary sarcastic when discussing the Sox yesterday

I could swear I saw a teal fog coming out of the radio.

Some highlights:

On the Sox lack of offseason activity:
Jimmy: "Say guys, who took the phones out of Kenny Williams office?"

On the rotation:
Jimmy: "Well, what are they going to do pitch Buehrle, Garland and Loaiza every third or fourth day?"
Fred: "No, Scott Schoenweis is gonna be the fourth starter, and the fifth, get this, will be either Wright or Rauch."
Jimmy: "Schoenwies, what? He's not a starter!"
Fred: "Not now, but he did start for the Angels a few years back, and then got moved to the bullpen."
Jimmy: "Well, if he was any good he certainly wouldn't be here, now would he."

On the self-imposed budget:
Jimmy: "Well at least he (Reinsdorf) hasn't raised the ticket prices."
Fred: "No, the prices have gone up a little bit"
Jimmy: "Wow, that certainly takes some guts..now doesn't it."
Jimmy: "I tell you, White Sox fans are the most loyal fans in the country. No doubt about it. To put up with this stuff, and draw 1.9 million? I mean that is something.

hftrex
01-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Piersall always was a jackass...............

CHISOXFAN13
01-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by hftrex

A jackass for saying exactly what die-hard Sox fans think, huh?

Iwritecode
01-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

I agree. He pretty much said what we have been saying here for years. Just because he's not a Sox fan doesn't make it any less true...

SSN721
01-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I agree. He pretty much said what we have been saying here for years. Just because he's not a Sox fan doesn't make it any less true...

I agree, seems to me like he summed up about 20-30 threads worth of comments into 4-5 sentences. He might not be a fan, but he seems to know what we are thinking.

Hangar18
01-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Man....He Said it all man. Thats why Hes one of My Favorite OLD SCHOOL PLAYERS (players I didnt get to see growing up, before my time). My dad would talk about Jimmy, when I was a Kid. The guy Calls it like He sees it, which is unheard of in
this Politically Correct Planet of ours. Why do you think the SOX got rid of him and Harry? Pre-Cub Harry had a Razor Tongue (Ironic that he left the SOX because he didnt want to be a company man, then went to the cubs and became a Company Man) and Harry Also called it like he saw it. I remember the days listening to them broadcast games.......made watching the SOX easier to take, they were awful back then. They would rip on the team left and right, and say all the things YOU THE FAN were thinking. I love Jimmy Piersall. I have a picture taken with him at Harry Carays funeral, and would love for him to sign it someday .........

maurice
01-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally spoken by Jimmy Piersall
White Sox fans are the most loyal fans in the country. No doubt about it. To put up with this stuff, and draw 1.9 million? I mean that is something.

Send this quote to every news outlet in the city.

New WSI banner?

Hangar18
01-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Send this quote to every news outlet in the city.

New WSI banner?

Ive always known this. its not only that we show up everywhere to watch our team (anyone can do that), its
the knowledge we possess

PaulDrake
01-09-2004, 02:23 PM
When I first started listening to the Sox on the radio in the late 50's it was Bob Elson and Don Wells on WCFL (1000 AM). Jack Brickhouse did the Sox and Cubs on TV. In all the time that has transpired since then Harry and Jimmy were my favorites and no one before or since has come close although I've liked some more than others. Rooneys OK, Farmer puts me to sleep. Hawk is OK, DJ has improved, but I prefered Paciorek. Harry and Jimmy were classic.

TheRockinMT
01-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Jimmy Piersall and Reinsdorf probably have no love between them at all. Jimmy and Harry Caray both ticked off Jerry because they spoke the truth about management and team performance. They lost their jobs and Harry went to the Cubs because of it.

Dick Allen
01-09-2004, 03:29 PM
For a long time, Harry and Jimmy were the only reasons worth listening to or watching the Sox.

jeremyb1
01-09-2004, 03:33 PM
A lot of the analysis is probably accurate but although the payroll should be higher, most people act like the reason we can't make any moves is the fact that we have a 30 million payroll. The reality is that we have a mid-level payroll combined with the fact that we're paying Maggs 14 million, Paully 8 million, Koch 6 million, Carlos 6 million, Jose 5 million, Frank 5 million, and Loaiza 4 million. People claim we're acting like "a small market team" but if we were the Twins, the A's, the Pirates, or the DRays we would've dumped at least a few of those players some time ago without receiving a thing in return. Simply resigning Colon, a couple middle relievers, and a centerfielder or second basemen would've put our payroll at 80 million. Now, if you're going to aruge we should be able to afford a payroll of that size with our revenue that's one thing but to argue that any worthwhile organization would take those steps and end up with an 80 million dollar payroll is absurd. You're not going to see the Pirates doing that anytime soon.

soxphotos
01-09-2004, 03:38 PM
I believe Piersall merely hates Reinsdorf and the front office crew. If they were gone I do not think he would have much animosity towards the Sox at all. How many Sox fans feel the same way? 95%?

I'm working on getting a tape where he and Harry spend 10 minutes ripping on the ump from a game in 1980. This was the game where the ump turned around and flipped them off up in the booth. God knows how he knew what they were broadcasting. Maybe between innings leather-lunged Harry and Jimmy (and a few of the upper-deck fans) enjoyed a little verbal abuse of the home plate ump. I remember listening on the radio and IT WAS CLASSIC.

Brian26
01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by soxphotos
I'm working on getting a tape where he and Harry spend 10 minutes ripping on the ump from a game in 1980. This was the game where the ump turned around and flipped them off up in the booth. God knows how he knew what they were broadcasting. Maybe between innings leather-lunged Harry and Jimmy (and a few of the upper-deck fans) enjoyed a little verbal abuse of the home plate ump. I remember listening on the radio and IT WAS CLASSIC.

Wow, that's classy, isn't it? Really professional. Those two were as bush league as the owner at the time.

BeerHandle
01-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

I agree. A Spade is a Spade.

DrCrawdad
01-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
...A Spade is a Spade.

Ok Hillary Clinton enough of the politically incorrect talk.

:)

Brian26
01-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Jimmy forget to take his medicine today?

CubKilla
01-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Wow, that's classy, isn't it? Really professional. Those two were as bush league as the owner at the time.

I think the ump acted more "bush" than Harry or Jimmy. What's wrong with cheering for your team? Is it "bush" when Hawk or DJ say a call is, "BS"..... especially when the call was wrong?

cubhater
01-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by hftrex

We need more jackasses who speak the truth.