PDA

View Full Version : Clubhouse Chemistry

Lip Man 1
01-09-2004, 02:25 PM
File this one under the heading of "boys will be boys..."

Joe Cowley has a story on Billy Koch in the Southtown today and as part of the story Cowley states that Koch and a certain Sox DH who hit 40+ home runs last year, had to be seperated on the team bus going from the airport to Seattle last August.

He says they nearly came to blows over something. Keep in mind this was when the Sox were in the middle of their hottest winning streak in years.

I hate to think what's going to happen this season if (when?) things fall apart.

What an organization.

Lip

miker
01-09-2004, 02:34 PM
I have always been a big believer that one or two bad apples in the clubhouse can ruin a promising team.

However, baseball history also has plenty of examples of completely dysfunctional teams that won (i.e. early 70s A's)...albeit with a lot more talent than the 2003-4 White Sox.

FanOf14
What was the point of printing something like that now, well after the season? :?: It's not like the Sox need help getting bad PR or anythng...

Brian26
This was posted here last week. Koch was being a jagoff, and I don't blame Frank for going after him. After that meltdown in Tampa, Koch should have kept his mouth shut for the rest of the year.

pudge
01-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Very interesting - I was at the Seattle games and was disappointed to see them drop 2 of 3, and then proceed to have that terrible stretch in Anaheim and Texas... The story doesn't really say what happened, but seems to blame Koch... which is really irritating, considering this fight happened at a time when the team was on a roll.

On the positive side, I like Cooper's comments. I agree that if you have good command with 92, you're better off than missing with 95 and then throwing a chump curveball right over the plate.

the link:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/092sd3.htm

boog_alou
01-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
This was posted here last week. Koch was being a jagoff, and I don't blame Frank for going after him. After that meltdown in Tampa, Koch should have kept his mouth shut for the rest of the year.
Or...

Koch was just ribbing Frank and he flipped out and started throwing punches.

Deadguy
01-09-2004, 02:39 PM
This was alread discussed at length here last week:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27928&highlight=koch+thomas

At any rate, clubhouse chemistry is overrated. I recall reading a comment from an anonynous Illinois football player, back in April, saying, "There's not one person on this team that will miss Brandon Lloyd".

Illinois, of course, fell from 5-7 to 1-11, thanks in part to a depleted and inexperienced group of receivers.

I had some classes with Brandon Lloydwhen I attended the U of IL, and he always came off as an arrogant braggart, so I'm not surprised so many Illinois players hated him, but his talent could not be replaced.

Brian26
01-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by boog_alou
Or...

Koch was just ribbing Frank and he flipped out and started throwing punches.

Koch is a grown man. It'd be nice to see him take a more serious approach to the game then worrying about "ribbing" Frank. Grow up, Billy.

Hangar18
01-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

yeah, it was posted last week, and apparently Frank did punch
him out. But all feathers were UnRuffled.