PDA

View Full Version : Borchard article

Randar68
09-04-2001, 03:01 PM
In BA's most recent Q&A, editor Jim Callis had this to say about Joe Borchard....essentially what I've been saying about his defensive ability all year...

"At the time, Matt Harrington was the consensus top prospect in the 2000 draft. The White Sox weren't the only team who had Borchard No. 1 overall on their board and he had the most upside of any of the position players available. Borchard was No. 12 on our Top 100 Draft Prospects list, but the top of that list was based on how we projected the first round to go, not on how the players stacked up against one another (we changed that practice in 2001). Borchard did go 12th, mainly because he and Harrington were the only players in the top dozen picks not to agree to prearranged deals, and got a record bonus of $5.3 million. Afterward, longtime Sox scouting director Duane Shaffer said Borchard had more power at the same stage than any player he ever had scouted, including McGwire.

I hesitate to label anyone as a potential 40-50 homer man, because that's a huge expectation. I will say that Borchard has arguably as much power as anyone in the minors. He headed to Double-A this year with just 27 games of pro experience, and he finished first in the Southern League in RBIs (98), second in homers (27) and runs (98), third in slugging (.505) and fifth in batting (.295). His 158 strikeouts are a bit much, but he did walk 67 times so he's not entirely clueless about plate discipline. I'd rate Dunn a slightly better prospect. Dunn already has hit in Triple-A and the majors, and he has better control of the strike zone.

It would be a boon for the White Sox if Borchard could play center field in the majors because they already have Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez manning the corners. After playing right field at Stanford, Borchard has switched to center as a pro and the reports out of the Southern League were positive. Bill Ballew, who's writing our Southern League Top 20 Prospects, says most managers thought Borchard looked good in center. They like his athleticism and thought he had at least an average arm. No one suggested that he shouldn't be playing center field. Chicago will give him a serious look in spring training.

As an aside, I read recently where an NFL scout told Pro Football Weekly's Joel Bucshbaum (their Allan Simpson) that the top three picks in the 2002 NFL draft, if they had been available, would have been Borchard, Drew Henson and Michael Vick in some order. Borchard and Henson will rank high on our 2002 Top 100 Prospects list, while Vick was the Rockies' 30th-round pick in 2000 despite never playing college baseball. "

PANFIRECRACKER
09-04-2001, 04:10 PM
Randar,

Do you know anything about the size of the AA ballparks Borchard plays in? I'm wondering how they compare to ML parks.

Randar68
09-04-2001, 04:22 PM
Do you know anything about the size of the AA ballparks Borchard plays in? I'm wondering how they compare to ML parks.

Well, Hoover Metropolitan Stadium is one of the largest parks in all of the Minor Leagues. It's 340 down the lines, 385 in the Gaps and 405 in Center field, with the typical very high walls.

I know I'm not the only one to think that he would have had around 35-40 HR's had he played in a stadium as small as the one the Charlotte Knights plays in....

Many of his warning track flies would be homers in a place like Comiskey.

LongDistanceFan
09-04-2001, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, Hoover Metropolitan Stadium is one of the largest parks in all of the Minor Leagues. It's 340 down the lines, 385 in the Gaps and 405 in Center field, with the typical very high walls.

I know I'm not the only one to think that he would have had around 35-40 HR's had he played in a stadium as small as the one the Charlotte Knights plays in....

Many of his warning track flies would be homers in a place like Comiskey. In addition to that, that speaks alot for the ground he has to cover. So put that, the large park and he is doing good to very good on def, i like it.

Randar68
09-04-2001, 05:41 PM
In addition to that, that speaks alot for the ground he has to cover. So put that, the large park and he is doing good to very good on def, i like it.

Couldn't have said it better myself, LDfan!!

Notsososox
09-04-2001, 05:46 PM
His defefense has been okay not great
Rowand has better arm and just as fast
A very strong outfield foursome would be:

Ordonez LF
Rowand CF
Borchard RF
Singleton Reserve

Athletic, good power and speed

Lee has to go to either DH or 1B
If Frank comes back slow Lee is DH
If Frank comes back strong
Lee or Konerko get traded

Randar68
09-04-2001, 05:52 PM
His defefense has been okay not great
Rowand has better arm and just as fast

*****!!!! Are you joking??? Have you seen either play much???? Borchard has an above average arm for a RIGHT FIELDER, which puts him in a "Great Arm for a CF'er" category....

Rowand can barely make it to the infield on a fly and has to throw it at a high arch to get it that far.......

LongDistanceFan
09-04-2001, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

*****!!!! Are you joking??? Have you seen either play much???? Borchard has an above average arm for a RIGHT FIELDER, which puts him in a "Great Arm for a CF'er" category....

Rowand can barely make it to the infield on a fly and has to throw it at a high arch to get it that far.......

Plus in the stats, he was leading the lower league for assist or put outs. Regardless of what the BA article said, the kid has a gun and that was from other articles as well.