PDA

View Full Version : Clemens in Astro pinstripes soon?

Baby Fisk
01-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Seems to be getting close to a decision. It's apparently "in Roger's hands now."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040109&content_id=626593&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CubKilla
01-09-2004, 10:41 AM
C'mon Roger :)

With Pettite, Oswalt and possibly Clemens, w/the BP and offense the Astros have, Houston will become the NL Central favorites.

Frater Perdurabo
01-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
C'mon Roger :)

With Pettite, Oswalt and possibly Clemens, w/the BP and offense the Astros have, Houston will become the NL Central favorites.

That's what I am counting on....

KingXerxes
01-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Okay - Maybe it's just me, but does anybody else out there think Andy Pettite is somewhat over-rated? He's not a bad pitcher by any means, but if Houston thinks they've signed a huge difference maker, I think they're going to be sadly surprised. They paid an awful lot of money for a guy who's not even going to be their best starter.

Time will tell.

Northside fan
01-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Okay - Maybe it's just me, but does anybody else out there think Andy Pettite is somewhat over-rated? He's not a bad pitcher by any means, but if Houston thinks they've signed a huge difference maker, I think they're going to be sadly surprised. They paid an awful lot of money for a guy who's not even going to be their best starter.

Time will tell.

After he gets lit up a few times in the juice box, he will realize he made a mistake signing in Houston. He's a good piitcher but I don't think he will survive in that park. Lefty+MinuteMaid=not good.

Baby Fisk
01-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Pettitte & Clemens make a nice Flub-killing package. Clemens has got to be itching for this since his Olympics plan went bust. If he's on board with the 'Stros, I'd take Clemens-Pettitte over Wood-Prior any day.

Go Roger Go!

KingXerxes
01-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Northside fan
After he gets lit up a few times in the juice box, he will realize he made a mistake signing in Houston. He's a good piitcher but I don't think he will survive in that park. Lefty+Minute Made=not good.

I think you might be right here Northside. I don't know why, but I just don't think he's going to "WOW" anybody - he's never "WOWWED" me with the Yankees. He's okay - but he's not great.

Baby Fisk - I don't want to argue, but in no way do I agree with your Clemens/Pettite vs. Prior/Wood analysis.

CubKilla
01-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Northside fan
After he gets lit up a few times in the juice box, he will realize he made a mistake signing in Houston. He's a good piitcher but I don't think he will survive in that park. Lefty+Minute Made=not good.

Don't count on it. Yankee Stadium has some of the shortest L and RF lines in baseball and Pettite did just fine there. Couple that with a deep LF alley, a hellishly deep CF, and a ML average RF alley, and Pettite may actually do better in MinuteMaid if he can keep the batter's from hitting the ball towards the LF foul-line.

Northside fan
01-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Pettitte & Clemens make a nice Flub-killing package. Clemens has got to be itching for this since his Olympics plan went bust. If he's on board with the 'Stros, I'd take Clemens-Pettitte over Wood-Prior any day.

Go Roger Go!

Prior/Wood
Pettitte/Clemens

Bias aside, I'll take Prior and Wood hands down.

KingXerxes
01-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I thought Houston had a rather "reachable" left and left-center. Centerfield is a mile and a half away, but don't they have that big wall that goes straight out from the line that everybody's always hitting the ball into? Yankee Stadium has "death valley" in left center.

SoxxoS
01-09-2004, 11:39 AM
It's funny that a MULTI millionaire changed his mind about going to the Astros because of a radio station saying that they would get him a Hummer (because the Yankees would take the one they gave him back, if he went to a different team). What are we talking about here, $75,000 tops? He makes that in one start. How Dumb.

Unless he is using Hummer in the different sense of the word, but he already has hot Debbie Clemens (http://www.debbieclemens.com)

Northside fan
01-09-2004, 11:42 AM
I thought Houston had a rather "reachable" left and left-center. Centerfield is a mile and a half away, but don't they have that big wall that goes straight out from the line that everybody's always hitting the ball into? Yankee Stadium has "death valley" in left center.

MM is by far the best hitters park aside from Coors. I think Pettitte will be ok but nothing close to what they are expecting.

Paulwny
01-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Pettite's a ground ball pitcher and usually leads the al in dp's behind him. I don't think Minute Maid will have much of an effect.
This will be the first time most NL'ers will see his cutter and will take them awhile to learn to lay off it.

CubKilla
01-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I thought Houston had a rather "reachable" left and left-center.

I was referring to the area immediately next to the LF stands..... you have another 30 or so feet of real estate but you still have to get alot of elevation on the ball to get it onto the concourse which serves the LF shortdeck.

Baby Fisk
01-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Baby Fisk - I don't want to argue, but in no way do I agree with your Clemens/Pettite vs. Prior/Wood analysis.

Maybe it's the beer up here, or maybe it's my spider-sense tingling, but I'm seeing either Prior or Wood being a bust in 2004. Call it a hunch, whatever. If they both win 20 games, you can throw it back in my face.

Are the Cards or anyone else capable of challenging this year?

KingXerxes
01-09-2004, 11:58 AM
The Cardinals are always capable of challenging for the pennant. In my mind - year in and year out - they are one of the best organizations in baseball.

SergeantMahoney
01-09-2004, 01:11 PM
I think you might be right here Northside. I don't know why, but I just don't think he's going to "WOW" anybody - he's never "WOWWED" me with the Yankees. He's okay - but he's not great.

I agree. Pettite's ERA was around 4 last year, which is good but not dominating. His record was excellent (21 - 8?) but with an ERA that high, those numbers seem a little inflated - which may be because he had the Yankees lineup behind him. And Minute Maid Park is a hitter's dream. He's definitely moving to a worse situation from a pitcher's persepctive.

And Roger Clemens is 41!! He's going to break down eventually and this could very well be the year. Maybe not, but it will happen sooner than later.

Foulke You
01-09-2004, 01:52 PM
I think some of you are underestimating Andy Petitte's ability. I always felt he was one of the more dominant leftys in the AL. The guy has a career E.R.A. of 3.94 and has 149 career wins and 1245 career strikeouts. He's played in many ballparks through his career and you can never underestimate a guy with that many championship rings. He's been there and knows what it takes to win. I don't think he'll be intimidated at all and he'll make the adjustment to the new park just fine.

I also believe that getting the NL "freebie out" (pitcher) every 9th batter could actually lower his E.R.A. or at the very least cancel out the Minute Maid Park factor.

mdep524
01-09-2004, 01:54 PM
The Cardinals are always capable of challenging for the pennant. In my mind - year in and year out - they are one of the best organizations in baseball.

If they end up with Maddux, the Cards have a shot.

hillbilly
01-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Pettite's a ground ball pitcher and usually leads the al in dp's behind him. I don't think Minute Maid will have much of an effect.

You are exactly true my friend. Pettite is the most underrated pitcher in the major leagues hands down. He doesn't "wow" anybody because he has been so steady his whole career and just goes about his job the way ballplayers should. If Clemens were top sign with the astros, they are no doubt, hands down the favorite to win, and that my friends is happy time for sox fans. :)

StillMissOzzie
01-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Unless he is using Hummer in the different sense of the word, but he already has hot Debbie Clemens (http://www.debbieclemens.com)

LMAO! Yowzah!

SMO
:gulp:

KingXerxes
01-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Word is out that the Astros are having a press conference at 3:00 this afternoon to announce a one-year deal with Clemens.

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Word is out that the Astros are having a press conference at 3:00 this afternoon to announce a one-year deal with Clemens.

WOO HOO! Best baseball news I've heard all offseason considering my team ain't doing jack.

voodoochile
01-12-2004, 11:05 AM

It's the flubbie's fault that the USA baseball team didn't qualify for the Olympics. Clemens was going to pitch for that team and not join the Astros until late in the season, but the flubbie curse wouldn't allow him to do it, so it bagged the USA team so Clemens could be a thorn in the flubbies' side all season long...

KingXerxes
01-12-2004, 11:09 AM
I wonder if Clemens is only planning on spending a single year, or if he's thinking he's got a few more left. He certainly looked good last year, and I was somewhat surprised that he retired in the first place.

That being said, I sure hope he doesn't end his career like Steve Carlton. That guy was probably the best pitcher I've ever seen, and the way he bounced around at the end of his career was just sad.

If Clemens doesn't have anything left - I hope he realizes it and doesn't end up in Tampa Bay's bullpen during the 2007 season.

Iwritecode
01-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It's the flubbie's fault that the USA baseball team didn't qualify for the Olympics. Clemens was going to pitch for that team and not join the Astros until late in the season, but the flubbie curse wouldn't allow him to do it, so it bagged the USA team so Clemens could be a thorn in the flubbies' side all season long...

Can you explain this a little more?

Was the WS still going on when the USA team was playing or something???

Tekijawa
01-12-2004, 11:11 AM
1 year 5 mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1706367

The curse of the goat continues on the north side...

this is the best news all off season!

voodoochile
01-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Can you explain this a little more?

Was the WS still going on when the USA team was playing or something???

I don't know. I just know what I heard and that was just from a friend (flubbie fan). He said that Clemens was supposedly going to pitch for Team USA and join the Astros late in the season. Then Team USA got eliminated. I couldn't tell you the timeline and maybe the USA baseball team was already eliminated and I just heard about all of it later...

SergeantMahoney
01-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I think it's a bit of a stretch to attribute this to the "curse of the billy goat". Not everything bad that happens to the Cubs is part of a fairy tale-esque curse.

On another note, even if he is pitching against the Cubs, I can't stand Clemens. Another good thing to come out of this is that he'll finally have to stand in a batter's box and maybe face some chin music instead of always dishing it out

Iwritecode
01-12-2004, 11:18 AM
I don't know. I just know what I heard and that was just from a friend (flubbie fan). He said that Clemens was supposedly going to pitch for Team USA and join the Astros late in the season. Then Team USA got eliminated. I couldn't tell you the timeline and maybe the USA baseball team was already eliminated and I just heard about all of it later...

The Flubbie curse works in strange and mysterious ways...

:D:

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 11:20 AM

Clemens was going to retire at the end of '03 to "try out" for the Team USA team. Team USA was eliminated from play in the '04 Olympics before the end of the '03 season. At the time, Clemens retirement seemed contingent on the Olympics. However, after Team USA elimination, Clemens never announced an '04 comeback so sportswriters assumed he was retiring. I think Clemens thought about retirement too. Word now is, Pettite talked Clemens into coming to Houston. Clemens is from Texas. Which leads us to where we are today.

KingXerxes
01-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Be careful what you wish for - it may come true...........................

Watch the Cubs go and get Maddux in response.

Hangar18
01-12-2004, 11:24 AM
YEAH! Looks Like Im rooting for the ASTROS THIS SEASON,
nothing to cheer about on the South Side

Baby Fisk
01-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by SergeantMahoney
Another good thing to come out of this is that he'll finally have to stand in a batter's box and maybe face some chin music instead of always dishing it out

Too bad Remy Piazza can't pitch...

voodoochile
01-12-2004, 11:34 AM
I think it's a bit of a stretch to attribute this to the "curse of the billy goat". Not everything bad that happens to the Cubs is part of a fairy tale-esque curse.

On another note, even if he is pitching against the Cubs, I can't stand Clemens. Another good thing to come out of this is that he'll finally have to stand in a batter's box and maybe face some chin music instead of always dishing it out

I was being tongue in cheek. Perhaps I should have used teal, but I thought the joke was self-evident. Ask anyone, I don't believe in curses.

Still, this is Grade-A Prime material for razzing flubbie fans... :D:

Hangar18
01-12-2004, 11:37 AM

I can Totally See this happening.
Man....Im going to drive over to the Sun-Times Building
to See if Mike Kiley Pee'd his Pants with excitement over
this possibility

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 11:38 AM

According to some, Maddux to the Cubs is just a matter of time. If true, Houston had to get Clemens to counter the Cubs "Big 3." While Pettite, Clemens, and Oswalt isn't as good to some as Wood, Prior, Maddux, the Houston O and their superior BP should bridge the gap.

habibharu
01-12-2004, 11:39 AM
accroding to rozner the cubs are talking but not even close to signing maddux

KingXerxes
01-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Is Houston's bullpen better than the Cubs? They unloaded Wagner while the Cubs seriously upgraded over last year.

SergeantMahoney
01-12-2004, 11:42 AM
I was being tongue in cheek. Perhaps I should have used teal, but I thought the joke was self-evident. Ask anyone, I don't believe in curses.

Still, this is Grade-A Prime material for razzing flubbie fans... :D:

Sorry - it's just that the curse stuff gets me worked up.

voodoochile
01-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Sorry - it's just that the curse stuff gets me worked up.

As well it should... :D:

CubKilla
01-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Is Houston's bullpen better than the Cubs? They unloaded Wagner while the Cubs seriously upgraded over last year.

Yes. The Cubs have only added Hawkins to their BP last I heard. Dotel will move into the closer role for the 8th and/or 9th, and Lidge for the 7th and/or 8th. If Houston could get a BP arm to step up like they did with Lidge last season, where the starters just had to give 6 good, competitive innings, Houston could shut the door from the 7th inning on..... for the most part. Houston lived that way the entire '03 season.

SergeantMahoney
01-12-2004, 11:53 AM
The Cubs also added Kent Mercker I believe.

KingXerxes
01-12-2004, 02:34 PM
When they jettisonned Alfonseca, Veres and Guthrie they got better without even replacing them. Maybe it's just a wrongheaded opinion on my part - but I think the Cubs have a fairly formidable set of young arms ready to come up. If they pan out or not is anybody's guess, but I think that's more than you can say for the Astros.