PDA

View Full Version : Greg Norton?

onenine19
01-09-2004, 09:12 AM
I think Norton would look good coming off the bench for the Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1703885

tanko
01-09-2004, 09:15 AM
I agree

depy48
01-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Norton potentially could play first base as well... platoon with thomas, if konerko does get traded

Hosey22
01-09-2004, 10:36 AM
I would love to see Greg Norton come back. He always seemed like he was not only a hard worker on the field, but a great guy in the clubhouse. I think he would be a great pickup, but then again, we know how many Great pickups this team is capable of.

Frater Perdurabo
01-09-2004, 10:47 AM
How about Chris Snopek....or Craig Grebeck...or Joe DeSa?

kittle42
01-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
How about Chris Snopek....or Craig Grebeck...or Joe DeSa?

I'm with you on this one. Greg Norton never looked good and I really don't need to see any more of him. However, I would take him over Liu Rodriguez, who, if one reads other threads around here, is apparently the most overlooked talent in baseball.

depy48
01-09-2004, 11:37 AM
who doesnt love the little hurt?

Dick Allen
01-09-2004, 12:04 PM
We have enough dead weight on this team. I saw enough of Norton the first time around. I'd rather have Ed Norton, maybe he could clean up the sludge at the Cell.

LuvSox
01-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by onenine19
I think Norton would look good coming off the bench for the Sox.

No, not again.

onenine19
01-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
No, not again.

My Mistake. I though we could use a guy who led the league in pinch hits, a switch hitter, and could play multiple positions. If I'm not mistaken we let our utility guy get scoped up buy the Royals.

Any suggestions for utility guys, since Norton was such a bad idea.

MarkEdward
01-09-2004, 12:38 PM

Isn't Ross Gload basically the same player?

Hangar18
01-09-2004, 12:41 PM
My Mistake. I though we could use a guy who led the league in pinch hits, a switch hitter, and could play multiple positions. If I'm not mistaken we let our utility guy get scoped up buy the Royals.

OneNine has got a good point. I would like to see Norton off the bench just for the reasons he mentioned above. I cant believe we lost our best/leagues best bench player to a team in our own division. THAT is unconscionable

DirtySouthsider
01-09-2004, 12:52 PM

Norton may be able to play many positions.......badly! Watching him play 3rd base was one of the most stressful things I've done. Plus he was never much of a hitter......he's a dime a dozen.

Jerko
01-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Norton made Herbert Perry look like Graig Nettles. I don't want him back either.

washington
01-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Maybe the Sox can re-sign Jeff Abbott Mike Caruso and Scott Eyre while they're at it

Foulke You
01-09-2004, 01:35 PM
This is what we're reduced to? Longing for the "good old days" when we had Greg Norton? Doesn't anyone remember that he wasn't very good? He had a wild arm when he played 3B and made a ton of errors, not to mention that he hit a Royce Clayton-esque .150 when he batted right handed. I guarantee you that his PH numbers were inflated by the NL and the light air at Coors Field.

Sorry Norton lovers, the only value I'd see in getting Norton would be to hear Hawk say "NAWTON, YOU'RE THE GREATEST!" again when he made a good play. That used to crack me up. :D:

DirtySouthsider
01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
I even have a Norton jersey that I bought at the garage sale and I still don't want him back. The jersey belongs where it's at right now.....in the closet collecting dust!

mdep524
01-09-2004, 02:23 PM
I'd take Norton back... as long as we get Wimpy back too to make all the Nawwwton comments. It'd be worth it. (Then maybe we could trade for Mark "Get Back" Loretta and Omar Daal with "that funky motion")

munchman33
01-09-2004, 03:43 PM
NO. NO, NO, NO!!!!

I hate Greg Norton. His defense was terrible when he was here. He single-handedly lost us at least 10 games in 99. I HATE GREG NORTON.

Damnit where's Tanko to back me up. :D:

washington
01-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by mdep524
I'd take Norton back... as long as we get Wimpy back too to make all the Nawwwton comments. It'd be worth it.

Seriously, I'd love to see the wimp-a-roo back in the booth. I've learned to tune DJ out but it would be nice to listen to someone entertaining (and goofy) talk during the games

Tragg
01-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by washington
Maybe the Sox can re-sign Jeff Abbott Mike Caruso and Scott Eyre while they're at it

Scott Eyre's a good pitcher, but I hear you. Norton, Singleton- ugh

DirtySouthsider
01-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Oh NO!....I just read in the paper that the Reds have signed Aaron Myette and McKay Christensen to minor league deals!

How can we let this happen!!!

Huisj
01-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Since Tiger Stadium is no longer in use, Norton has no place in the AL central. I think he had half his career HR and RBI there in its last year of use. He was a monster there for some reason.

I don't miss his "bow and arrow" throwing motion from third base, when he used to field a grounder and then raise his elbow up behind his ear like he was pulling back an arrow.

Didn't he platoon at first with wil cordero one year?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

Didn't he platoon at first with wil cordero one year?

1998. Thanks for the memories.

<shudder>

:smile: