PDA

View Full Version : Washburn/Konerko Trade Rumor

Soxdude
01-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Anyone hear the Washburn for Konerko trade rumor?

BeerHandle
01-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Nope. If that would happen, then who would play 1lb or DH? Even though he is a great player, Frank can only play one position. Our chances of getting Palmeiro are fading. It looks like he will sign with the O's. They are stacking their deck and we are sitting idle!

jabrch
01-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Yeah, it was discussed here briefly last week. Everyone here would do it in a heartbeat - but I'd be shocket if Anaheim were even remotely interested. We'd find someone to DH. Palmeiro is still out there. So is Mondesi? McGriff? VanderWal? Who Cares? If we could get a great young arm for PK, I'd trust KW could find a DH on the trade market.

Frater Perdurabo
01-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Nope. If that would happen, then who would play 1lb or DH? Even though he is a great player, Frank can only play one position. Our chances of getting Palmeiro are fading. It looks like he will sign with the O's. They are stacking their deck and we are sitting idle!

You rotate the DH among your other hitters: Maggs, Frank (2-3 times/week), Valentin, Lee. Then, if Reed and LTP show themselves ready in spring training, you let them play CF and back up Lee and Maggs in LF and RF. This way, all the big bats get to "rest" by DH-ing but the lineup can stay constant so everyone knows their role.

MarqSox
01-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
You rotate the DH among your other hitters: Maggs, Frank (2-3 times/week), Valentin, Lee. Then, if Reed and LTP show themselves ready in spring training, you let them play CF and back up Lee and Maggs in LF and RF. This way, all the big bats get to "rest" by DH-ing but the lineup can stay constant so everyone knows their role.
Absolutely a fulltime DH is hardly a necessity, and the Sox lineup is not anemic, even if we lost Konerko.

Washburn is a top-notch young pitcher and would fantastic behind Buehrle and Loaiza. This would be a great trade ... of course, I can't imagine the Angels would make it. But you never know.

Dadawg_77
01-09-2004, 10:43 AM
If healthy Brad Fullmer is still out there, I belive.

Frater Perdurabo
01-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Please let this trade happen!

lowesox
01-09-2004, 11:31 AM
This trade would never happen in a million years. The Sox are trying to dump Konerko's salary, so for this trade to work the Angels would have to trade us Washburn and pay Konerko's salary. The only way we could get them to do that is to include a young stud. I could see it being possible if it were Konerko and say Cotts for Washburn. Otherwise, this will never happen.

habibharu
01-09-2004, 11:35 AM
do you have a link for this trade

jeremyb1
01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
This trade would never happen in a million years. The Sox are trying to dump Konerko's salary, so for this trade to work the Angels would have to trade us Washburn and pay Konerko's salary. The only way we could get them to do that is to include a young stud. I could see it being possible if it were Konerko and say Cotts for Washburn. Otherwise, this will never happen.

Correct if the Angel's wanted to dump Washburn so badly they could've non-tendered him. They didn't have to take on a bad contract like Konerko's.

Soxdude
01-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
do you have a link for this trade
No, but I know Soxtalk has something on it...not sure if a link its posted within the thread tho

Deadguy
01-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If healthy Brad Fullmer is still out there, I belive.

I think he signed with Texas.

KingXerxes
01-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Wouldn't anybody want Randall Simon? He would be kind of fun to watch.

hold2dibber
01-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Here's why this trade won't happen:

Player A '03 stats: 297 ABs, 13 HRs, 40 RBIs, .750 OPS
Player B '03 stats: 336 ABs, 12 HRs, 40 RBIs, .786 OPS
Player C '03 stats: 410 ABS, 16 HRs, 72 RBIs, .743 OPS
Player D '03 stats: 409 ABs, 11 HRs, 80 RBIs, .753 OPS
Player E '03 stats: 444 ABs, 18 HRs, 65 RBIs, .704 OPS

Players A through D are all free agents, and none would cost the Angels more than a 1 year deal for $1 - $1.5 million. Player E would require the Angels to trade (reportedly) one of the best young lefties in the league and take on a nearly $19 million in salary over the next two years. Gee, what do you think they should do? Player E, of course, is Konerko. A is McGriff, B is Karros, C is Simon, and D is Fick. You could also throw Mondesi in the mix. All of those guys were better than PK last year. All are way cheap. Konerko might have more upside than the other guys, but is that possible upside worth a good young pitcher and $18 million? No way. The Angels would have to be morons to do this.

chosk8
01-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Here's why this trade won't happen:

Player A '03 stats: 297 ABs, 13 HRs, 40 RBIs, .750 OPS
Player B '03 stats: 336 ABs, 12 HRs, 40 RBIs, .786 OPS
Player C '03 stats: 410 ABS, 16 HRs, 72 RBIs, .743 OPS
Player D '03 stats: 409 ABs, 11 HRs, 80 RBIs, .753 OPS
Player E '03 stats: 444 ABs, 18 HRs, 65 RBIs, .704 OPS

Players A through D are all free agents, and none would cost the Angels more than a 1 year deal for $1 - $1.5 million. Player E would require the Angels to trade (reportedly) one of the best young lefties in the league and take on a nearly $19 million in salary over the next two years. Gee, what do you think they should do? Player E, of course, is Konerko. A is McGriff, B is Karros, C is Simon, and D is Fick. You could also throw Mondesi in the mix. All of those guys were better than PK last year. All are way cheap. Konerko might have more upside than the other guys, but is that possible upside worth a good young pitcher and $18 million? No way. The Angels would have to be morons to do this.

Fick signed with Tampa Bay yesterday on a 1 year deal. Travis Lee, who I believe is still available, could be another option as well.

Dadawg_77
01-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
I think he signed with Texas.

I like the guy, but why whould Texas pick him up? Tex should be playing first day and day out.

Deadguy
01-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I like the guy, but why whould Texas pick him up? Tex should be playing first day and day out.

To replace Palmeiro at DH.

MRKARNO
01-09-2004, 03:54 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-bbnotes9jan09,1,2620334.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Although the Angels have made Jarrod Washburn and Ramon Ortiz available, sources in both organizations discounted a rumor that Washburn would be sent to the Chicago White Sox for first baseman Paul Konerko.

I wouldnt do the trade either if I were the angels

tlebar318
01-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Did anyone else see this topic discussed on CBS Sportsline website? Supposedly, this trade could be expanded to include Mags and a pitching prospect also with us then getting Washburn and Erstad...so many rumors but no action!

gosox41
01-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

By losing PK and his albatross of his salary the Sox would be a better team. I don't see the Angles making this trade because it'sstupid on there part.

With the team as it is right now, I'd bet it's not even a .500 team. Getting Washburn makes this team have a chance. They can always find a DH.

Bob

gosox41
01-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by tlebar318
Did anyone else see this topic discussed on CBS Sportsline website? Supposedly, this trade could be expanded to include Mags and a pitching prospect also with us then getting Washburn and Erstad...so many rumors but no action!

PK for Washburn= good trade for the Sox.

Magglio + pitching prospect for Wasburn and Erstad=Terrible trade for the Sox.

If you think PK is an overpaid waste (which I do) wait until you see Erstad.

Bob

tlebar318
01-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Here's an idea Reinsdorf probably has not even considered...sign Mags to a contract extension and keep him but I agree move PK for Washburn in a heartbeat! I wish Jerry would open his wallet every once in a while-

white sox bill
01-10-2004, 11:54 AM
PK for JW? Take it Kenny before Anaheim comes to their senses!

JRIG
01-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Here's an idea Reinsdorf probably has not even considered...sign Mags to a contract extension and keep him but I agree move PK for Washburn in a heartbeat! I wish Jerry would open his wallet every once in a while-

Ordonez $14.5 million
Konerko $8 million
Lee $6.5 million, $8.5 million
Koch $6.375 million
Valentin $5 million

That's $48.875 million of wallet-opening. Spending the money wisely is what I'd be more worried about.

jabrch
01-10-2004, 12:28 PM

Maggs was offered a 4/48 deal and he turned it down. Sure, some of the money was either backloaded or deferred, but with today's interest rates, that is almost a non-factor.

Magglio wants to be a FA and test them market. His wife wants to go somewhere warm. I don't blame JR for moving Maggs at this point. He is giving him no option by not resigning. I don't want to see he leave for 2 measley draft picks - so moving him is better than nothing.

RichH55
01-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Would free up enough money to sign Jay Payton as well

jabrch
01-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Would free up enough money to sign Jay Payton as well

Remember Payton as a Met? I wouldn't want him. Sure, he is likely to be better than Crash, but not close to Damon.

RichH55
01-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Remember Payton as a Met? I wouldn't want him. Sure, he is likely to be better than Crash, but not close to Damon.

Payton should cost somewhere from 1.5-3 million a year....Damon costs 8-8.5...Damon should be a better damn player

But Payton should put up a .330 OBP with 20-25 HR year.....that's a pretty conservative estimate too, and its leaps and bounds above what I expect from Crash

jabrch
01-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Payton should cost somewhere from 1.5-3 million a year....Damon costs 8-8.5...Damon should be a better damn player

But Payton should put up a .330 OBP with 20-25 HR year.....that's a pretty conservative estimate too, and its leaps and bounds above what I expect from Crash

20 - 25 HRs from Payton? That's a lot more than I was thinking. He hit 28 in Colorado - who knows how many that would be at Comiskey. I don't think that 20-25 and .330 is conservative, but for under 2mm, I'd certainly be willing to give him a try.

dickallen15
01-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
20 - 25 HRs from Payton? That's a lot more than I was thinking. He hit 28 in Colorado - who knows how many that would be at Comiskey. I don't think that 20-25 and .330 is conservative, but for under 2mm, I'd certainly be willing to give him a try.

He hit more on the road than at Coors last season, but 20-25 would seem a fair guess. He'll probably get hurt.

whitesoxwilkes
01-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Wouldn't anybody want Randall Simon? He would be kind of fun to watch.

I'd love to have him. Young, energetic and still pretty cheap. Always makes contact.

CubKilla
01-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Always makes contact.

Him and Ozzie would have plate discipline in common at least.

tlebar318
01-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Ordonez $14.5 million
Konerko $8 million
Lee $6.5 million, $8.5 million
Koch $6.375 million
Valentin $5 million

That's $48.875 million of wallet-opening. Spending the money wisely is what I'd be more worried about.

I agree they have spent to a certain extent but sometimes on the wrong guys(Albert Belle)--my comment was more about the overall budget constraint being around $58 million...Why can't a team in the "Second City" spend more--say $80 million and be able to have more flexibility with personnel instead of shopping at the major league baseball "flea market" that may or may not pan out? Every man has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer! :gulp: