PDA

View Full Version : Liu Rodriguez

A. Cavatica
01-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Does Liu Rodriguez have a contract with anyone? I think he could help the Sox -- he's a great glove at second, can get on base, and is a switch hitter, despite not having much power. He wasn't ready when he got his Sox tryout, but he'd be in his prime now. Here are his numbers from La Guaira in the Venezuelan league.

#Rodriguez, Liu,2B .332 52 187 25 62 13 1 0 29 20 23 3 1 .412 .402 8

Daver
01-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Does Liu Rodriguez have a contract with anyone? I think he could help the Sox -- he's a great glove at second, can get on base, and is a switch hitter, despite not having much power. He wasn't ready when he got his Sox tryout, but he'd be in his prime now. Here are his numbers from La Guaira in the Venezuelan league.

You want to sign a bad defensive second baseman based on numbers facing less than A ball minor league Venezuelan pitching?

Statheads continue to crack me up.

A. Cavatica
01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
No, I want to sign an excellent defensive second baseman, based on seeing him play a few years ago. But that's too strong; I don't want to sign him, I want to invite him to spring training and see if he can beat out Harris.

Daver
01-08-2004, 08:36 PM
No, I want to sign an excellent defensive second baseman, based on seeing him play a few years ago. But that's too strong; I don't want to sign him, I want to invite him to spring training and see if he can beat out Harris.

You must be referring to a different Liu Rodriguez then,the one I have 40 hours of minor league tape on is an adequate second baseman at best,with low range and little speed.

A. Cavatica
01-08-2004, 08:55 PM
If he's such a bad second baseman, how come the Sox gave him playing time at short?

petekat
01-08-2004, 08:56 PM
40 hrs of minor league tape on Liu Rodriguez. Er... do you have a day job? heh heh

Daver
01-08-2004, 09:00 PM
If he's such a bad second baseman, how come the Sox gave him playing time at short?

Have you taken a good hard look at what the Sox had as far as SS prospects under the Schueler regime?

Daver
01-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by petekat
40 hrs of minor league tape on Liu Rodriguez. Er... do you have a day job? heh heh

Yes as a matter of fact I do.

I also have some friends that live on the east coast that are fans of minor league baseball,and are willing to send me tape of what the Sox have in the minor league system.

A. Cavatica
01-08-2004, 09:08 PM
At the time, they had more depth at short than the current team has at second. Jason Dellaero, for example, who was seemingly voted the best defensive shortstop in every league he stunk up. Yet Liu got the PT.

(By the way, I don't feel the need to debate Liu's qualifications any further. We both watched him play, we evaluated him differently. Mostly I'm just happy to get that "New at WSI" tag over with.)

Daver
01-08-2004, 09:16 PM
At the time, they had more depth at short than the current team has at second. Jason Dellaero, for example, who was seemingly voted the best defensive shortstop in every league he stunk up. Yet Liu got the PT.

Now there is a strong argument,play a SS that can field the position and hit .190,or play an adequate second baseman at SS that can hit .250.Neither one of them could take a walk or work a count.

I'm done with this argument,I know nothing about baseball.

A. Cavatica
01-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Now I know you didn't watch your 40 hours of tape. Unlike Dellaero, Rodriguez did get his share of walks. 60 one year (430 AB), 65 another (450 AB), 45 the next (420). Generally -- and even in his brief trial in Chicago -- more walks than strikeouts.

kittle42
01-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Are we sinking to the level of JR with this discussion?

shbart
01-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Geez Daver, as a forum administrator I'd expect a little less attitude in your posts...give Cavatica a break. He's one of the few Sox fans who posted on the Sox news group and Crawdad can attest that Cavatica usually gives you an argument based on some research. I happen to side with you on Liu Rodriguez, but in contrast I agree with him on Reed...I guess that makes me a "stathead"...sheesh!

Rex Hudler
01-09-2004, 12:23 AM

(By the way, I don't feel the need to debate Liu's qualifications any further. We both watched him play, we evaluated him differently. Mostly I'm just happy to get that "New at WSI" tag over with.)

Question is, do you have 40 hours of tape on Dellaero and did you watch him? I know he couldn't hit **** and that was his fault, but watching that guy play SS was a thing of beauty!!

FWIW, Liu Rodriguez was a solid player and could have possibly helped as a utility guy in the Majors, given the chance. But being 2-3 years removed from organized ball, I don't see him as a reasonable option now.

HITMEN OF 77
01-09-2004, 12:50 AM
I don't think we need anymore infielder's. We already have a puzzle trying to figure out who plays where and we don't need another piece that won't fit.

BeerHandle
01-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Daver
You must be referring to a different Liu Rodriguez then,the one I have 40 hours of minor league tape on is an adequate second baseman at best,with low range and little speed.

Daver: Are you doing scouting for the Sox? If so, lets get it rolling.

NC_sox_fan
01-09-2004, 07:41 PM

Liu has been playing baseball in Italy. He isn't interested in playing for the White Sox.