PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Ponson...

depy48
01-08-2004, 07:59 PM
So now that the Orioles are about to lock up Palmerio, and by most accounts Baltimore will sign Guerrero. Baltimore is also in the hunt for Ponson. Assuming Baltimore does sign Guerrero, after Vlad and Raffy does Baltimore have enough money to sign Ponson as well? It seems that after
Tejada- $5.125million
Javy- $7million
Albert Belle whos still owed- $12.4million
Vlad- probably $14million
Raffy- probably $5-7million
how much more money does Baltimore have to spend? I know they had a large offseason budget, but it seems like that pockets will empty after all those signings. So where does leave Ponson? The Rangers dropped out of the running since the A-Rod feel apart and the aquisition of Brian Jordan. What other teams could be in the running?The Sox dont have much free money, but would JR give any boast to sign him? Or can KW work something out? I would like to see Ponson pitch in Chicago in 2004 and hopefully beyond...

MisterB
01-08-2004, 08:02 PM
I thought the O's were finally out from under Belle's contract.

lowesox
01-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Wow, wouldn't it be incredible to have an owner who wants to have an exciting team. I think Baltimore will be better than the Yankmees next year. They were smart - built themselves up for a few years - then filled in the gaps with difference makers. Good for them. Isn't it tempting to root for another team these days?

As for Ponson, I'll bet his value is a little lower right now. If KW were a smart guy he'd pounce.

MisterB
01-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
They were smart - built themselves up for a few years - then filled in the gaps with difference makers. Good for them. Isn't it tempting to root for another team these days?

There's a word for what they did: REBUILDING (apparently it's some kind of profanity around here)

lowesox
01-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
(apparently it's some kind of profanity around here)

I think the concern with rebuilding is that Sox fans know that as soon as you find a good bunch of young players they'll only have a year or two before Reinsdorf starts selling them off to meet his "budgets".

Daver
01-08-2004, 08:24 PM

They are.

depy48
01-08-2004, 09:57 PM
how likely is that the sox get ponson, and does anyone else know where he could end up?

mike squires
01-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Depy~Sox will only get Ponson if they are able to red of Konerko/Koch, wich isn't likely. Talks have been going on for months about a possible deal between the Dogers and Whitesox. With the Sox allready over the cap, they are unable to dish out money to a ponson or anybody for that matter.

munchman33
01-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Depy~Sox will only get Ponson if they are able to red of Konerko/Koch, wich isn't likely. Talks have been going on for months about a possible deal between the Dogers and Whitesox. With the Sox allready over the cap, they are unable to dish out money to a ponson or anybody for that matter.

That's not true. Two words.....

Cliff Pollite.

StillMissOzzie
01-09-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by depy48
So now that the Orioles are about to lock up Palmerio, and by most accounts Baltimore will sign Guerrero. Baltimore is also in the hunt for Ponson. Assuming Baltimore does sign Guerrero, after Vlad and Raffy does Baltimore have enough money to sign Ponson as well? It seems that after
Tejada- $5.125million
Javy- $7million
Albert Belle whos still owed- $12.4million
Vlad- probably $14million
Raffy- probably $5-7million

I also thought that Albert's contract had expired, as was confirmed by Daver. The O's were getting partially reimbursed by insurance they had on Albert, so they didn't suffer the full sting of whatver he was getting. On the other hand, I thought Tejada was getting way more than $5.125M. IIRC, on the average, it's something like $12-13M/year, but I think it's smaller on salary for 2004, but a big signing bonus, so cash flow wise, it was going to be at least $13 M for this year.

SMO

steff
01-09-2004, 01:19 PM
They are out of Albert's contract.

And they have, and are willing, to spend whatever is necessary. Angelos has $$.. a lot of it. And it's clear he's going to spend it.

steff
01-09-2004, 01:20 PM
how likely is that the sox get ponson, and does anyone else know where he could end up?

It's not.
Baltimore.

Just my opinion, though.... :D:

depy48
01-09-2004, 03:32 PM
so you would or would not want to ponson pitch for the whitesox

steff
01-09-2004, 03:48 PM
so you would or would not want to ponson pitch for the whitesox

What's that got to do with what you asked...??

But to answer you.. of course I want quality pitchers pitching for the Sox..

Deadguy
01-09-2004, 03:51 PM

They are. I believe, however, they are trying to get insurance to cover the $7.7 million that David Segui is owed next year. That may play a factor into whether or not they will sign Ponson.