PDA

View Full Version : Aurilia to the M's Final...

Tekijawa
01-08-2004, 05:04 PM
For 1.5 Million less than Jose... Kenny Williams you truly are a master!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-marinersauriliaonboa&prov=fanball&type=lgns

kittle42
01-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Wow. I can't believe how many players who are better than Jose Valentin make less than Jose Valentin.

Had we not picked up his option, could we have still signed him at a reduced salary?

tanko
01-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Why did we pick up Jose's option?????

pearso66
01-08-2004, 05:41 PM
not only did they pick up Aurilia but then they traded Guillen to the Tigers for Ramon Santiago and minor league SS Juan Gonzalez

Tekijawa
01-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by tanko

I believe it was because he complained in the news paper... I wish Colon would have complained more...

lowesox
01-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by tanko

Because Kenny wants to ensure he makes the worst move in the majors every year.

Past highlights include: Billy Koch, Todd Ritchie and Boomer Wells. It's hard to believe he wasn't responsible for the Jaime Navarro signing.

tanko
01-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

Past highlights include: Billy Koch, Todd Ritchie and Boomer Wells. It's hard to believe he wasn't responsible for the Jaime Navarro signing.

You forgot Cliff Politte

Tekijawa
01-08-2004, 05:47 PM
It's hard to believe he wasn't responsible for the Jaime Navarro signing.

Kenny did work for the team then right? I'm sure he convinced someone that he was worth the big bucks!

lowesox
01-08-2004, 05:55 PM

Actually, I was just joking when I posted this - but then I was just thinking and I think Kenny has been responsible for the worst move in the majors virtually every season that he was our GM.

hold2dibber
01-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Wow. I can't believe how many players who are better than Jose Valentin make less than Jose Valentin.

Had we not picked up his option, could we have still signed him at a reduced salary?

I'd rather have Jose than Aurilia.

tanko
01-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Really???

Daver
01-08-2004, 06:14 PM

I concur.....

doublem23
01-08-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Daver

I concur.....

The real question here is though, would you take Aurilia and the $1.5 million you saved?

MHOUSE
01-08-2004, 07:09 PM
I'd take Aurillia and an extra $1.5 million over Jose EVERY TIME. What could make you say otherwise. I love having Jose in the clubhouse, but not for $5 million when he sucks on the field. Give me Aurillia, Guillen, somebody else for less!

Then Guillen for two young ss? I bet he could've been had for something cheap as well.....

KW sucks.....

joecrede
01-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
The real question here is though, would you take Aurilia and the $1.5 million you saved?

No.

Look at Aurilia's splits. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=5523) He's Valentin in reverse. He kills lefties and can't hit righties. Valentin will get almost 4-times the amount of AB's v. righties as Aurilia will against lefties.

mike squires
01-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Is Williams that bad or are these other agents not getting enough for their players? Personally I like it. You are starting to see some players salaries go down a bit. It is crazy how much we are overpaying folks.

CubKilla
01-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Actually, I was just joking when I posted this - but then I was just thinking and I think Kenny has been responsible for the worst move in the majors virtually every season that he was our GM.

But he's aggressive and not afraid to trade young talent for a player he really wants! You gotta love that about KW!

CubKilla
01-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
Is Williams that bad or are these other agents not getting enough for their players? Personally I like it. You are starting to see some players salaries go down a bit. It is crazy how much we are overpaying folks.

KW is plenty bad but I think it is only a matter of time before the MLBPA and the agents start screaming collusion..... especially if next offseason is similar to this offseason.

maurice
01-09-2004, 01:01 PM
The lefty-righty splits are significant, but I don't think you can compare Aurilla's .318 OBP v. righties to Valentin's .190 (not a typo) OBP v. lefties. If Jose gets 100 ABs against lefties again in 2004, somebody need to go to jail.

I found this split to be interesting . . .

Aurilla Pre All-Star: .256 AVE / .307 OBP / .402 SLG
Aurilla Post All-Star: .312 AVE / .355 OBP / .423 SLG

He reportedly had some nagging injuries in the first half. I'm curious to see what kind of numbers he puts up in the AL and playing at Safeco. It would be nice to have an infielder with an above-average OBP for a change.