PDA

View Full Version : Twins have three of the top ten pitching prospects

brewcrew/chisox
01-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Did anyone see this article in sporting news? The Twinkies look as if they have a few good arms to fill the holes left by the departure of Hawkins and Guardado. Not good to say the least.
Oh yeah, it's also Great to see Royce Ring up in the top ten as well! I know hindsight is 20/20, and I was the first to step up and applaud KW for getting Alomar, but considering the deficiencies we have now in the pen........

link (http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2021606)

hold2dibber
01-08-2004, 03:19 PM
I can't fault KW for going for it last year, even though the Ring deal may come back to haunt them. He assembled the best roster in the AL Central. Too bad he didn't have the sense to hire a manager who knew his arse from a hole in the ground.

fledgedrallycap
01-08-2004, 03:32 PM
I remember when the White Sox were ranked with the number one minor league system in the Bigs not too long ago. They are called a prospect for a reason (let's hope).

Tekijawa
01-08-2004, 03:41 PM
They should have FOUR... but alas they couldn't afford to draft Mark Prior. Thank god! although I wish he would have gone to someone else...

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Those are relief pitcher prospects not pitching prospects.

BeerHandle
01-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I remember when the White Sox were ranked with the number one minor league system in the Bigs not too long ago. They are called a prospect for a reason (let's hope).

I was thinking the same thing. The Sox had the top prospects and where are they now. They are hurt, didn't develop or were traded!

Maximo
01-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Not developing pitching prospects or burning them out..........biggest shortcoming of this entire franchise.

progers0826
01-09-2004, 11:09 AM
If this was done a year ago, Arnaldo Munoz would have been one of the top three. He was gassed last year after pitching so much over the winter. He is a much better prospect than Balfour or Nakamura, in my opinion. I'd look for him to assert himself in 2004. Ryan Meaux become an intriguing guy, too -- a lefty with great command. Where the Sox are really thin is from the right side. Jeff Bajenaru throws hard, with promise, but has had trouble staying healthy. Gary Majewski is going to get another chance this spring. But it's a shame there aren't guys who are ready because -- obviously -- there's a huge opportunity. The bullpen has got to be the biggest concern about the 2004 team.

jabrch
01-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
They should have FOUR... but alas they couldn't afford to draft Mark Prior. Thank god! although I wish he would have gone to someone else...

I would have had absolutely no interst in seeing him in Minnesota - and having to face him so often. While the Cubs are not where I wanted him to go - I'd rather there than Minnesota or KC.

Randar68
01-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by progers0826
The bullpen has got to be the biggest concern about the 2004 team.

At this point we have what, Munoz, Wunsch, Marte, Politte, Ginter, Koch, and who else (Wright?)

Not terrible, but definitely an area of concern. I see 3 very solid guys and 2 guys who are average mid-short relief. Big Need in the RH-department, though.

Don't you see CF and 2B as big areas of concern? I think an IF of Uribe and Valentin isn't terrible, but unless Reed wins the CF job outright in CF, Rowand and Harris out there scare me a bit. Rowand a bit more because of his lack of range (sandwiched between Lee and Maggs is a recipe for gap-city!)

KingXerxes
01-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by progers0826
The bullpen has got to be the biggest concern about the 2004 team.

I completely agree - particularly when you layer in the fact that they've lost a hell of a lot of innings with the departure of Colon. Let's hope they're not done with the Politte signing..............they better not be.