PDA

View Full Version : A view from an idiot Cubs fan-per the Cubune

Hondo
01-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Hey all,

Well if i wasn't in a bad enough mood already today I read this garbage. Be forewarned, if you already didn't know, a cubs fan talking about baseball is like listening to a monkey explain astrophysics. Actually that may be a slight to monkeys.

My name is Glenn and I'm an idiot (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/fans/cs-040108cubsfanview,1,1032792.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

By the way Glenn I hope you manage next year. "Mark G" as you like to call him hasn't played SS in about four years so good luck with that. Maybe you could sign Vlad and move Sammy to CF or C.

I weep for humanity,
Daniel

fledgedrallycap
01-08-2004, 02:13 PM
I like how he couldn't go to a website and figure out how to spell Grudzielanek.

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Ive said this before also. Cub fans are EASILY
the Dumbest fans ive ever met/seen/interacted with.
Honorable mention though, does go to Brewer Fans.
they are also not very smart .........but Hands Down...
Cub Fans. From cheering for Instant Replay Homeruns (thinking
it was real) to not knowing their own players, to botching stats,
to not being able to discuss baseball topics for any length
of time, for believing everything that is printed, for Repeating
everything that is printed, and for not knowing the score
even though their at the game, to overpaying for bleacher tickets, to insisting they have the best team to ever play
in the MLB, to not knowing their days LineUps, to drinking way too much before/after the game...........
THey are simply pathetic

Hondo
01-08-2004, 02:36 PM
One thing that sticks out is during the Marlins series when Wood tied the game up in Game 7 I believe, with a HR, they wanted him to come out for a curtain call. IN THE SECOND INNING!!!!!!!!!

Bartman was a prophet

Northside fan
01-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Ive said this before also. Cub fans are EASILY
the Dumbest fans ive ever met/seen/interacted with.
Honorable mention though, does go to Brewer Fans.
they are also not very smart .........but Hands Down...
Cub Fans. From cheering for Instant Replay Homeruns (thinking
it was real) to not knowing their own players, to botching stats,
to not being able to discuss baseball topics for any length
of time, for believing everything that is printed, for Repeating
everything that is printed, and for not knowing the score
even though their at the game, to overpaying for bleacher tickets, to insisting they have the best team to ever play
in the MLB, to not knowing their days LineUps, to drinking way too much before/after the game...........
THey are simply pathetic

Hangar, you just have not had the chance to sit or talk with Cubs fans like myself. You are speaking of Wrigley fans Hangar, not true Cubs fans. There's a huge difference between the two.

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Hangar, you just have not had the chance to sit or talk with Cubs fans like myself. You are speaking of Wrigley fans Hangar, not true Cubs fans. There's a huge difference between the two.

your right about that, BUT, if theyre wearing cubby floppy
hats and tshirts, Im afraid they are representing the cubs.
there is that 1%-2% that do know what is happening

Northside fan
01-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
your right about that, BUT, if theyre wearing cubby floppy
hats and tshirts, Im afraid they are representing the cubs.
there is that 1%-2% that do know what is happening

Hangar, that is like saying the Ligue's represent all Sox fans, that is a bunch of B.S...

kittle42
01-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I like how he couldn't go to a website and figure out how to spell Grudzielanek.

Sounds like people around here , though I would assume we'd be samrt enough to do so if we were writing to a newspaper.

doublem23
01-08-2004, 02:56 PM
You'd think the Cubune would try and discredit the idiots who root for their product... But then they wouldn't have anyone left.

What a dumbass, but he sounds like pretty much every Cub fan I know.

kittle42
01-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Hangar, that is like saying the Ligue's represent all Sox fans, that is a bunch of B.S...

Actually, living in Wrigleyville, Hangar's representation is closer to truth. People are Cub fans because it is fashionable. They all know nothing. Die hards of any team, even the godawful Yankee, Red Sox, and Cub fans, are acceptable fans. However, the Cubs seem to have an overwhelming number of trendy, frat and sorority person idiots.

Northside fan
01-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Actually, living in Wrigleyville, Hangar's representation is closer to truth. People are Cub fans because it is fashionable. They all know nothing. Die hards of any team, even the godawful Yankee, Red Sox, and Cub fans, are acceptable fans. However, the Cubs seem to have an overwhelming number of trendy, frat and sorority person idiots.

Kittle, you hit the nail on the head. These are not "Cubs fans", they are people who live in the area that go to Wrigley to have a good time. This is why labeling them as "Cubs fans" is not at all accurate.

kittle42
01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Kittle, you hit the nail on the head. These are not "Cubs fans", they are people who live in the area that go to Wrigley to have a good time. This is why labeling them as "Cubs fans" is not at all accurate.

I will say this for them...many of them did a very good job during the playoffs of acting like they cared. However, I think a good deal of that acting was just an excuse to threaten people like me who were standing at the Cubby Bear rooting for the Marlins.

Northside fan
01-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I will say this for them...many of them did a very good job during the playoffs of acting like they cared.

No doubt about it. But again, they are not true fans. So they do not represent fans such as myself who never miss a pitch. Trust me, if the Sox played at Wrigley, you would have the same problem. Would that then speak of how Sox fans actually are? I think not.

jabrch
01-08-2004, 03:29 PM

So says you. If you ask them, they are Cubs fans. And frankly, the Trib couldn't care less if they know anthing at all. As long as they are coming to the park and spending $ on trib products and services, that's all that matters. If we are to differentiate the "Cubs Fans" that you talk about (the few who actually know what is going on) from the rest of the "Cubs Fans" you would have one very small pile of knowledgeable people and the other huge pile of the fans who couldn't tell you what was going on.

Grobber tried to make the case yesterday that there is an equal % of knowledgable Cubs fans at Wrigley as Sox fans at Comiskey - and that's nonsense.

Palehose13
01-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Using this logic, Chicago isn't a cubs town.

hold2dibber
01-08-2004, 03:39 PM

I grew up spitting distance from Wrigley (Seminary & Roscoe). I went to a lot of Cubs games as a kid in the '70s (me and the other 3,000 dirt bags that Lee Elia ranted about). Consequently, I have many friends who are real, die-hard Cubs fans. In my estimation, there are approximately an equal number of actual Cubs fans vs. actual Sox fans in this town. I know plenty of real Cubs fans who, as misguided as they are in their allegiance, know baseball (and many of whom resent/despise all the pseudo-Cubs fans that root for their team). But the number of "Wrigley fans," as Northside fan wisely terms them, has exploded in the last 10-15 years to the point where the populace generally can't tell an actual Cubs fan from a Wrigley fan. Wrigley fans, as Hangar correctly points out, are by and large complete doofuses when it comes to baseball. Which makes them particularly annoying to Sox fans but yet, somehow, entirely endearing to the news media (which in turn makes them even MORE annoying to Sox fans). The Wrigley fans have, for the most part, taken over from the actual Cubs fans out there. Makes it hard to remember sometimes that there are real Cubs fans out there.

miker
01-08-2004, 03:47 PM
that is like saying the Ligue's represent all Sox fans
What Cub/Wrigley fan hasn't used that generalization while stroking themselves?

Northside fan
01-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by miker
What Cub/Wrigley fan hasn't used that generalization while stroking themselves?

I haven't.

maurice
01-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Well said, dib.

miker
01-08-2004, 04:25 PM
I haven't.
Then let me congratulate you on being in an extremely exclusive club.

MRKARNO
01-08-2004, 05:13 PM

It doesnt help that they consider themselves to be cubs fans

hsnterprize
01-08-2004, 07:37 PM
No doubt about it. But again, they are not true fans. So they do not represent fans such as myself who never miss a pitch. Trust me, if the Sox played at Wrigley, you would have the same problem. Would that then speak of how Sox fans actually are? I think not. Allow me to express respect for you for actually being a legitimate Cub fan. I've said it before in posts in other threads that I'll actually respect a true, die-hard Cub fan who can intelligently talk about the game. I know there are many legit Cubs fan out there, and they are okay in my book. But like another poster said, there are too many of the trendy-socialite, "Johnny..." or "Jenny Come Lately", "let's go to Wrigley to have a good time instead of caring about the game" types who frequent Wrigley Field, and that for one is a real thorn in the side of Sox fans. And it's not even because they're there at the ballpark, but the local press seems to have a field day glorifying the "loyal Cubs fans" who come to support the team win or lose. Never mind many of the people in the place are either like the ones I previously mentioned, or out-of-town tourists. I remember talking to a bunch of people who come to Chicago to see Wrigley. That's fine that Wrigley's a tourist attraction, but people in the press need to stop being lazy and actually report that.

There's a lady who works with me who was obviously upset when the Cubs lost in the playoffs. She told me her husband, who is a Sox fan, saw her crying near the end of game 7. After the initial chit-chat in our conversation, she said something that confirmed something I already knew...the folks who go to Wrigley who actually don't give a rip about the game, but are there to have a "good time" and socialize make the legit, die-hard Cub fans like her look bad. Now, I'll respect anyone bleeding Cubbie blue who has supported the team in the downtimes. It's easy to be a Cub fan when they're the center of baseball attention. People like the 3,000 who went to Wrigley before the Tribune-owned era began are legit in my eyes.

In short, it's good to see a large crown at a game supporting the home team. But the Cubs have captured the hearts and minds of the "casual fan" who is looking more for entertainment rather than baseball. However, like another poster said, if the home team is winning, then the place will fill up regardless of whether or not there are any bars and restaurants around the stadium.

DrCrawdad
01-09-2004, 02:34 AM
I haven't..

That's cool. Our other Cub fan regulars, Grobber and VIC, haven't (at least here) equated all Sox fans with the Ligues.

I was sitting in the bleachers with my Cubbie fan father-in-law for the first game of the messiah Mark Prior. There was a lot of vile, base stuff going on that night in the leftfield bleachers. The security guard told me that on average they have 3-4 fights in the bleachers on night games. All this was bit surprising to me because I'd heard for years how Sox fans are scum and nothing bad happens at Wrigley. Amid the cacophony there were four young people keeping score and giving the game rapt attention.

Are all Cub fans drunken louts? No. It would be wrong for me to portray them as such. Maybe it was the crowd that particular night, in the section where I was sitting.

That's the problem with what Dave Hoekstra did to Sox fans a few months ago. Hoekstra, if you don't remember, went to a Sox game in his section there were some morons. So then Hoekstra uses that to make it seem like what happened is a regular occurence and says that he won't go to Sox games in the future.

If you go to an event with a predetermined image of what you'll find then very likely you'll find it. IMHO that works on the northside, it works on the southside. Unfortunately though for us Sox fans the predetermined image of the media is that Sox fans are drunken hooligans so whenever something happens it proves their image. The image of Wrigley is of a beautiful serene baseball park, all is friendly all is good. Any images contrary to that are isolated and glossed over since it's out of step with their image.

That's my late-night sermon.

petekat
01-09-2004, 03:02 AM
you guys are right on the mark. through friends, I also spllit a Cub season package, and wear my sox colors proudly. subjected to idiotic banter continously. classic moment watching the team implode in games 6 and 7 vs the marlins. But worse is seeing a row of Cub fans take up a "collection" to get me to buy the latest in trendy Cub-wear.

From not knowing the rules of the game, to missing fundamental mistakes like Sammy overthrowing the cutoff man (only about five fans caught the huge gaffe- which fortunately writers like Steve Rosenthal continue to bring up), to the frat party atmosphere of night games it really is maddening.....

In one classic bit, a national reporter went to the bleachers and asked random fans when they thought Grace would be back from his injury - this is the year after he had signed with the D-backs, and 3 out of five fans gave some response which truly indicated that they thought he was still a member of the Cubs.

I'm in for another season of mayhem- largely because I'm an NL fan- but aside from some matchups and the Sox series, I think I'm putting the tix up on Ebay...