PDA

View Full Version : Jose vs. Royce

Iwritecode
09-04-2001, 02:37 PM
I guess since I wrote the article on Jose's errors last year and there seems to be some disagreement about who should be our SS, I decided to check on Jose's progress so far this year.

18 errors total. 9 at short and 9 at 3rd.

Out of all 18 of Jose's errors not a single one has specifically caused us to lose a game. Our record when Jose makes an error is 7 - 8. So the 8 errors he made when they won obviously don't count. That leaves 10 more errors. In 7 out of the 8 losses he allowed a total of 3 (questionably 4) runs. None of which mattered either because the other team scored more in other innings or the Sox offense couldn't manage enough. The 8th loss I speak of is pretty ugly. It was against KC and they managed 3 singles to load the bases. Jose made a fielding error and allowed one run to score. The next batter he made a throwing error and allowed another runner to score. A couple more singles later and the score is 6 - 0. The Sox only managed 1 run and KC put up another 4 to win 10 - 1. So even if Jose hadn't made those 2 errors (both were at 3rd BTW), they still would have lost 4 - 1.

So, anyone want to go and check how many games Jose has helped win with his glove and/or clutch hitting? How about with his range, arm or ability to turn a DP? I bet it's more than Royce. Plus Royce only has to worry about playing one position.

Randar68
09-04-2001, 02:52 PM
good show code-writer!!!!!!!!

voodoochile
09-04-2001, 02:56 PM
Jose at SS all season probably makes 25 or so errors, IMO. A bunch of his errors this year have to be attributable to his switching around all the time. It wasn't broken, yet we tried to fix it... I honestly don't remember how I felt about the Clayton pickup in March. I remember thinking that Jose would be alright in CF (boy was I wrong). I believe I was optimistic about the move based on the idea that Royce would hit around .270.

What has Royce done to earn another season at SS for the Sox? Honestly... His defense is solid, yet unspectacular and I agree with PHG who earlier pointed out the permisiveness of the Comiskey scorekeeper, that Royce's FP is definitely inflated. The number of DP's this year is going to be down by over 25%... That's a lot of DP's (around 50). Royce wasn't the answer, I think that much is obvious. The only other option currently is Jose. IMO, that ends the discussion, so I guess we can all go home now...

Good Night, everybody...

:)

dimaisback
09-04-2001, 03:05 PM
It is very simple:

If Jose plays at least 155 games next season, he will give you .275 avg, 30 homers, 40 douples, 5 tribples, 25 sb and 100 RBIS and even 70 walks. He is a clubhouse leader and will team up with whoever starts at 2nd for a great DP combo. His 30 or so errors can be overlooked. I am not even goign to mention the factthat he can play CF and 3b if necessary.

Royce was nothing, is nothing and will foerever be NOTHING.

Clear enough?

OfficerKarkovice
09-04-2001, 03:08 PM
Voodochile you brought up a good point with the DP's. That I think has been one of the biggest differences this year. Last year it seemed like we were always turning them at huge points in the game. This year not as much. That is a big momentum boost especially for the pitcher when you can turn the double play and get him out of a jam.

LongDistanceFan
09-04-2001, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
. It was ur article that made me change my opinion on jose. I was a for a better ss who doesn't commit that many errors. I remember arguing my point last yr before i left, so i saw the errors of my way. :)

Mathew
09-04-2001, 03:18 PM
Royce Clayton is of no use to this team other than to serve Jose Valentin coffee and perhaps his 3.5 mil can afford him some ice cream cones. He sucks balls. He is a crater in the line up and a black hole in the locker room. People who support Clayton ask why we didn't complain as much about Ozzie Guillen, simply put because Ozzie wasn't an *******!

Randar68
09-04-2001, 03:42 PM
uhhhh, Mathew, he makes 4.5 million.... LOL!!!

hehehe, just thought i'd make it seem even worse!!!