PDA

View Full Version : Sun Times

soxwon
01-08-2004, 01:54 PM
how do you people rate the Local papers concerning sox coverage, the Times it seems is decent for us, They were better.
the Cubune forget it.
Whats your opinions what papers appreciate the Sox more?

Hondo
01-08-2004, 02:14 PM
As a whole I like the Sun-Times better but I prefer to read the Daily Southtown for Sox coverage.

Iwritecode
01-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
how do you people rate the Local papers concerning sox coverage, the Times it seems is decent for us, They were better.
the Cubune forget it.

Well the ST is usually better in general but the article they printed
today (that we have 2 threads dedicated to right now) sure didn't help much...

miker
01-08-2004, 02:31 PM
the Cubune forget it.
Any paper with this hack can't really be said to be supportive of us...
:moron

Deadguy
01-08-2004, 03:31 PM
the Cubune forget it.

The Daily Southtown's website is the only one I use for Sox news.

Otherwise, I just get the info. from ESPN.com, CNNsi, etc.

Foulke You
01-08-2004, 04:34 PM
As a Sun-Times subscriber for years, I can tell you that the Sun-Times is marginally better than the Cubune but keep in mind there is plenty of Cub love at the Sun-Times.

Rick Telander, Greg Couch, and Carol Slezak are all big time Cub lovers. However, Couch writes some decent articles. Don't get me started on Cub beat writer Mike Kiley, that guy is a boob. The talented Joe Goddard used to be the beat writer for the White Sox but has since taken a lesser role with the paper (I believe he retired) and has stepped aside for Doug Padilla who gives me the impression that he'd rather be covering another team. Mariotti is a windsock who will change his opinion of teams 100 times a year but he is a full time Sosa butt kisser. Richard Roeper is a big Sox fan but alas, he doesn't cover sports. Of the "big 3" papers in town (Trib, Sun-Times, Herald) the Sun-Times is your best bet for Sox coverage though.

TheRockinMT
01-08-2004, 04:42 PM
I read all the on-line reports I can on the Sox. I check everyday and go through the Sun-Times, Daily Southtown, Tribune, etc, etc...

I would like the Sun-Times to correct its report on Schonenweis though. I think they still have the Sox letting the guy go and I never saw a correction on the report.

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I dont like Either Paper. The Tribune is the "better" paper,
and the SunTimes simply tries to out Cubpoganda them.
When it comes to bandwagons........The Times is quick to jump
on. Neither gives the SOX a fair shake, most of it Deserved
because of Jerry Reinsdorf. However, the Tribune is especially Awful in their "coverage". Its not so much "news" as it is
Propoganda. WGN is more a Cubs Infomercial, with the Tribune being the written version. Reason 83,227 on why I hate
the cubs and their Fans

doublem23
01-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Both the Cubune and Sun-Times suck ass in terms of Sox coverage. The only paper in town worth a damn for the Pale Hose is the Daily Southtown.

OneDog
01-08-2004, 08:10 PM
The Trib is Cub slanted because they own the team. That is to be expected. But, more and more the Sun Times staff seems to be people pulled out of a Sosa rooting section in Wrigley's bleachers.

Today's article is a perfect example of this. The ST says that the Cubs W-L record merits an A, while the Sox get a C. The Sox only had two more losses in 2003. And how can an organization that scalps its own tickets at a huge markup be given a B for Fan Friendlieness.

I'm a native of the Western Sububurbs so I would not know a lot about the Southtown's coverage. But, I have not met anyone who totally hates their sports coverage, which is more than I can say for the others.

OneDog
01-08-2004, 08:13 PM
...And another example.

The only coverage I can recall the Sun Times giving Ivan Calderon's death was Moises Alou's reaction. Mike Kiley is a bigger Cubbie cheerleader than Chip.

SouthSideHitman
01-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Though I don't get the Sun Times, I occasionally read it and it seems that most of their columnists are pretty bad in regards to the Sox and I don't think that they're coverage is that great. Neither is the Trib's although it has better coverage overall and has gotten much less biased as of late. Mike Downey is somewhat of a Sox fan unlike pretty much all other columnists basically, everywhere. Phil Rodgers is also very interesting to read in his columns and he is pretty unbiased and even works to give the local slant in his columns. Overall though I read the papers as a way to wake up but when I want Sox news I go to ESPN.com, here at WSI and to the links so generously given on these boards.

Dick Allen
01-08-2004, 09:58 PM
I have subscribed to the S-T for years, and I have gotten annoyed enough to the point I am about to cancel. Too many of their "columnists" are Cub lovers, not to mention Handsome Mike Kiley, the biggest Cub cheerleader of all . Besides the ones that Foulke You mentioned, there's also Ron Rappaport, who I'd like to smack. The Sox, as always, are simply an afterthought. If not for Richard Roeper, who unfortunately doesn't cover sports, there would be no mention of the Sox.

Huisj
01-08-2004, 10:57 PM
i always check the southtown website first during the season, but during the offseason, they don't seem to have much news really. Their game wrapups and sox insider stories during the season are usually fine though.

Hangar18
01-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
Too many of their "columnists" are Cub lovers, not to mention Handsome Mike Kiley, the biggest Cub cheerleader of all . Besides the ones that Foulke You mentioned, there's also Ron Rappaport, who I'd like to smack.

Mike Kiley is ABSOLUTELY THE WORST. Im embarrassed for
him as a journalist. He hasnt written ONE article, that
doesnt bleed with his bias for the cubs....whether helping to plan future trades, or addding his ALWAYS positive slant...this
guys a Tool