PDA

View Full Version : Will we EVER see Sox fans wait at 3AM for season tickets under this ownership?

Medford Bobby
01-08-2004, 01:44 PM
It kills me that you can walk up to the Cell day or night and get season tickets, but stupid Cup fans are turned away because there not enough. I don't think we will ever see this with the current ownership. Crappy trades, a ballpark thats STILL under construction and weak Double A managers and we are going to see every shlub flock to the Shrine. Hey, Harrys dead, the vines are a fraud, Sammy's got corked bats and Steve Bartman is the proto typical fan and yet, they still line up at 3AM. :angry: OK, now I have vented.......................... :whiner:

:reinsy "Medford Bobby , why do you even care you shlub, we have great food and cheap beer at the park, no long potty lines, Ozzie's back, and I've kept your current icon Big Hurt, so get your BUTT to Opening Day and then complain"

steff
01-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Actually.. you can't walk up to Comiskey and get "season tickets".. they are only obtainable via a season ticket rep. :D:

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Wonder what would have been isJerry listened to other? He was offered Camden Yards but chose the US Ball Mall instead.

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by steff
Actually.. you can't walk up to Comiskey and get "season tickets".. they are only obtainable via a season ticket rep. :D:

Who work at Comiskey, I'll bet if you find the office one would come down and at least hand you a pamphlet.

steff
01-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Who work at Comiskey, I'll bet if you find the office one would come down and at least hand you a pamphlet.

Oh Lord..

I was making a joke.

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by steff
Oh Lord..

I was making a joke.

So was I, man some people never heard of being smart back to someone making a smart ass comment.

Tekijawa
01-08-2004, 01:56 PM

You'd be surprised... After the Colon Signing last year I had wanted to buy partial season tix... I got an email back about a week later, by then the excitement had died down and they had cost themselves about $1000 bucks, although that did go into an engagement ring 5 months later so I guess it all worked out in the end...

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
You'd be surprised... After the Colon Signing last year I had wanted to buy partial season tix... I got an email back about a week later, by then the excitement had died down and they had cost themselves about $1000 bucks, although that did go into an engagement ring 5 months later so I guess it all worked out in the end...

That is funny, they could have been swarmed. To bring another thread into this one, I remember reading about Mark Cuban that one of the things he focuses on is selling tickets. He works the phones from time to time and is some what of a tyrant with his sale force. This is seen as one of the reasons ticket sales for the Mavs have gone up since Mark has bought the team.

Kilroy
01-08-2004, 02:18 PM
This is seen as one of the reasons ticket sales for the Mavs have gone up since Mark has bought the team.

I wonder how much ticket sales would have gone up if the Mavs hadn't acquired exciting players and put together some playoff runs? Maybe that had something to do with it. I'd bet it had more to do with Mavs ticket sales increasing than Mark Cuban working his sales staff harder...

mandmandm
01-08-2004, 02:25 PM
That is funny, they could have been swarmed. To bring another thread into this one, I remember reading about Mark Cuban that one of the things he focuses on is selling tickets. He works the phones from time to time and is some what of a tyrant with his sale force. This is seen as one of the reasons ticket sales for the Mavs have gone up since Mark has bought the team.

This compared to Uncle Jerry who asked his own freaken players to make sales calls during the kids can play era. I would be delighted to here Jerry on the line so I can give him a piece of my mine.

anewman35
01-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Wonder what would have been isJerry listened to other? He was offered Camden Yards but chose the US Ball Mall instead.

Not that choosing Camden Yards would have helped attendence very much. Plenty of nice new parks are doing nothing for attendence, I don't think Camden Yards on the south side would have done much, either.

Brian26
01-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

But did it?

Will you even be allowed to watch any Sox games this year in between doing chores for the little lady and spending quality time with her? :D:

Brian26
01-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
This compared to Uncle Jerry who asked his own freaken players to make sales calls during the kids can play era.

My god, that's nuts. I'm surprised we didn't see Jim Parque and Greg Norton walking down our block selling candy bars to help support their team.

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Not that choosing Camden Yards would have helped attendence very much. Plenty of nice new parks are doing nothing for attendence, I don't think Camden Yards on the south side would have done much, either.

I think you are dead wrong. First take a look at O's attendance history http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/attend.shtml now at park itself
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/index.htm

and the cell
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/index.htm

Now why Sox attendance wouldn't of have been as large as the O's it would have been better then 36K. Also the new park would have been heralded instead of scorned. Trust me that had an effect on attendance. But hey even Jerry apologist have their opinions. But it amazes me that man who made a fortune in real estate made such a bad call.

mandmandm
01-08-2004, 02:43 PM

Camden Yards in the south loop, within walking distance of the business district and all the residential development, with the skyline as a backdrop to the stadium. Now were on to something. Oh well, dare to dream.

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Camden Yards in the south loop, within walking distance of the business district and all the residential development, with the skyline as a backdrop to the stadium. Now were on to something. Oh well, dare to dream.

It isn't a dream but a lost opportunity. Like a gorgeous girl (or hunk for those of the traditional female and non traditional male persuasions). And you say no, since you want to go out the 40 year old who used to be hot 15 years ago.

anewman35
01-08-2004, 02:51 PM
I think you are dead wrong. First take a look at O's attendance history http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/attend.shtml

Now why Sox attendance wouldn't of have been as large as the O's it would have been better then 36K. Also the new park would have been heralded instead of scorned. Trust me that had an effect on attendance. But hey even Jerry apologist have their opinions. But it amazes me that man who made a fortune in real estate made such a bad call.

I'm not saying it wouldn't have helped at all, it might even get a few thousand extra fans a game (especially for the first few years). But, notice that Camden Yards' first few years coincided with the O's getting a lot better, and that lately, the team hasn't done much and attendence is dropping. Look at Cleveland: same thing (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/attend.shtml) . The stadium would help some, but winning teams matter a lot more.

Anyway, I'd also say Chicago is also a very different baseball market than either Baltimore or Cleveland. They both had really bad stadiums before, so their new ones were very popular. Here, we had a fairly popular older stadium, and there's a really popular stadium 8 miles north - the novelty of a new stadium would have worn off a lot quicker than Baltimore, even if it had been the same stadium.

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 02:55 PM
I'm not saying it wouldn't have helped at all, it might even get a few thousand extra fans a game (especially for the first few years). But, notice that Camden Yards' first few years coincided with the O's getting a lot better, and that lately, the team hasn't done much and attendence is dropping. Look at Cleveland: same thing (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/attend.shtml) . The stadium would help some, but winning teams matter a lot more.

Anyway, I'd also say Chicago is also a very different baseball market than either Baltimore or Cleveland. They both had really bad stadiums before, so their new ones were very popular. Here, we had a fairly popular older stadium, and there's a really popular stadium 8 miles north - the novelty of a new stadium would have worn off a lot quicker than Baltimore, even if it had been the same stadium.

Not to revise history but you are forgetting the Sox were a very strong young team in 91. Competing against the A's for two years before taking the crown in 93 and 94. So stop trying to revise history and saying the parallel doesn't work because the O's rebound.

anewman35
01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Not to revise history but you are forgetting the Sox were a very strong young team in 91. Competing against the A's for two years before taking the crown in 93 and 94. So stop trying to revise history and saying the parallel doesn't work because the O's rebound.

I'm not revising anything. The Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/attend.shtml) had a big attendence the first couple of years of the new park, partly because they were doing well and partly because because the stadium was new. In 95, attendence would have crashed no matter what, due to the horrible team and the strike, no stadium would have helped that. And after that, do you really think the Sox would have had averaged in the 30s or 40s just because of the stadium? Between the strike and the WFT, there's no way the Sox had/have the fanbase to do that, no matter the location...

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 03:15 PM
I'm not revising anything. The Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/attend.shtml) had a big attendence the first couple of years of the new park, partly because they were doing well and partly because because the stadium was new. In 95, attendence would have crashed no matter what, due to the horrible team and the strike, no stadium would have helped that. And after that, do you really think the Sox would have had averaged in the 30s or 40s just because of the stadium? Between the strike and the WFT, there's no way the Sox had/have the fanbase to do that, no matter the location...

With the increase attendance and revenue from the earlier years the *** may not of happen. What happen in 1995 is a major issue since Jerry was seen as hawk killing the Sox series hopes, but who knows how much of postive factor a better park would have been. It couldn't of hurt as the lackings of the Cell became a major issue after 1994. I realize we are playing what if history but if Jerry built Camden yards instead of the Cell the Sox would be a lot better off.

steff
01-08-2004, 06:11 PM
So was I, man some people never heard of being smart back to someone making a smart ass comment.

Ahhh.. guess I missed your " :D: "