01-08-2004, 11:44 AM
"They wanted to get the deal done without me being present"
Robby Alomar agent Jaime Torres on why they didnt sign w the SOX

anewman35
01-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

And now we're believing an agent? I mean, come on, if you all doubt anybody Sox related is ever telling the truth, shouldn't an agent get that same treatment?

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
And now we're believing an agent? I mean, come on, if you all doubt anybody Sox related is ever telling the truth, shouldn't an agent get that same treatment?

hey, im just reporting the news man ..........

CubKilla
01-08-2004, 11:52 AM

SSDD with this OrganIzation.

Iwritecode
01-08-2004, 12:06 PM

This is the second time this has come up this off-season. There was an article about a month ago where Robbie himself mentioned it.

The same thing happened when they were trying to talk to A-rod a couple of years ago too.

Is it really any wonder why no big-name free agents are lining up to sign with this team?

JR has shot himself in the foot so many times and so many different ways, I'm surprised he can still stand up.

jabrch
01-08-2004, 12:07 PM
My guess - they said they wanted to talk to Alomar without his agent being present - not actually sign a contract. Even JR isn't dumb enough to try and pull that.

and if that's the case, that JR wanted a private meeting with his employee/prospective employee to discuss things without the agent present, I don't have a big problem with that. So long as Robbie could still sit down with his agent and work out the contractual issues later.

I don't blame JR for this one - and I don't believe a word any agent says.

CubKilla
01-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
This is the second time this has come up this off-season. There was an article about a month ago where Robbie himself mentioned it.

The same thing happened when they were trying to talk to A-rod a couple of years ago too...

:reinsy

"How else am I going to get all those deferrals and 'Diminished Skills Clause's' included?"

rdivaldi
01-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Another attack by the Cubune, go figure...

washington
01-08-2004, 12:19 PM
If that story is true the organization is more pathetic than I thought. It's unprofessional and stupid to sneak around a player's agent and negotiatite with the player. It probably also violates baseball's collective bargaining agreement.

It's one thing to be cheap, but this is just embarrassing.

WinningUgly!
01-08-2004, 12:24 PM

Torres is just pissed that he screwed his client out of a million dollars. The Sox had a 1-year $2M ($1M deferred) deal on the table that Alomar walked away from. Torres thought Alomar could get more money & a 2nd year on the deal. He ended up signing a 1-year, $1M deal with the D-Backs. I say good for Kenny & JR on this one.

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 12:26 PM
This is what Jerry does, anyone remember Horace Grant. Jerry has a much greater business acumen then your average athlete, so the player is at a disadvantage. An agent job to either eliminate that advantage and make it an even playing field or shift the advantage to the player. Eliminate the agent and White Sox are is a stronger negotiating position.

There are numerous examples of this practice at both the Bulls and Sox. That is why agent is more creditable then the Sox are on this issue. Plus there were reports earlier that Robbie complained Kenny pressing about talking about a new contract after Robbie said talk to his agent.

Palehose13
01-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Torres is just pissed that he screwed his client out of a million dollars. The Sox had a 1-year $2M ($1M deferred) deal on the table that Alomar walked away from. Torres thought Alomar could get more money & a 2nd year on the deal. He ended up signing a 1-year, $1M deal with the D-Backs. I say good for Kenny & JR on this one.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Lip Man 1
01-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Folks:

With respect some of you are missing a potentially important part to this story. Regarding the fact that 'supposedly' Alomar turned down a lot more monet from the Sox. To wit:

Torres doesn't count the Sox among the final group. He said the proposal he discussed with Sox general manager Ken Williamsóa one-year deal worth $2 million plus $1 million deferred without interestówas not a solid offer because it was contingent on Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf's approval.

"Kenny said, 'If I can sell it to Jerry,'" Torres said. "When an offer is made with a condition, then it's not an offer."

Lip

Foulke You
01-08-2004, 12:34 PM

While normally I would jump at the chance to blame something on JR, I think WinningUgly hit it right on the head. This reeks of an agent trying to save face with a client. He probably told Robbie to hold out for more money even though Robbie wanted to play in Chicago with his brother and with his buddy Ozzie. When it backfired on him, now he has to try and make the Sox look like the bad guys in order to save face with his client and other prospective clients.

Iwritecode
01-08-2004, 12:53 PM

I'm sure he's upset that Alomar had to sign for less than what he was offered by the Sox but that still doesn't change the fact that it is a pretty bad business approach to try and talk about a contract with a player when his agent isn't present.

Yet the Sox continue to do it...

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
While normally I would jump at the chance to blame something on JR, I think WinningUgly hit it right on the head. This reeks of an agent trying to save face with a client. He probably told Robbie to hold out for more money even though Robbie wanted to play in Chicago with his brother and with his buddy Ozzie. When it backfired on him, now he has to try and make the Sox look like the bad guys in order to save face with his client and other prospective clients.

Good Point, it does seem a bit fishy.....

steff
01-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

With respect some of you are missing a potentially important part to this story. Regarding the fact that 'supposedly' Alomar turned down a lot more monet from the Sox. To wit:

Torres doesn't count the Sox among the final group. He said the proposal he discussed with Sox general manager Ken Williamsóa one-year deal worth $2 million plus $1 million deferred without interestówas not a solid offer because it was contingent on Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf's approval.

"Kenny said, 'If I can sell it to Jerry,'" Torres said. "When an offer is made with a condition, then it's not an offer."

Lip

Thank you, Lip - OMG.. did I just thank you..? :o: :D:

Kenny running his mouth when he shouldn't have been... go figure.

Brian26
01-08-2004, 01:15 PM

This is old news. We already heard this story out of Alomar's mouth. There's nothing new to report here.

pudge
01-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Folks:

Lip

What is so wrong with this, Kenny is being HONEST with an agent instead of blowing smoke up his butt... He's trying to find out if he can get a deal done before wasting ammunition with JR. I think this is the agent being an ass about it, frankly, especially since Alomar wound up with a crap deal.

34 Inch Stick
01-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by steff
Thank you, Lip - OMG.. did I just thank you..? :o: :D:

Kenny running his mouth when he shouldn't have been... go figure.

At three times what the market was going to bear maybe they should have given Kenny the chance to sell the offer to Jerry.

The fact is his player is making significantly less, in a city he did not want to be in. I think this makes the agent look worse in that he had an opportunity to put his client in the client's optimal situation but was not patient enough to let it happen.

steff
01-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
At three times what the market was going to bear maybe they should have given Kenny the chance to sell the offer to Jerry.

The fact is his player is making significantly less, in a city he did not want to be in. I think this makes the agent look worse in that he had an opportunity to put his client in the client's optimal situation but was not patient enough to let it happen.

I'm sorry.. but I do not agree that an GM extending an offer to a player WITHOUT discussing it with the boss is acceptable.

That's like me offering my assistant a raise BEFORE clearing it with the CFO!!

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry.. but I do not agree that an GM extending an offer to a player WITHOUT discussing it with the boss is acceptable.

Not sure on your companies structure, but this also means either Kenny is over budget and or has no real power. A manager usually has power within certain guidelines to give raises. A baseball GM should have the power to put together the team within certain guidelines (budget).

pudge
01-08-2004, 01:54 PM

My boss does it all the time, "I'll try to get you such and such a raise, I'll see what I can do..."

Maybe it's not the best technique, but Alomar's camp was foolish not to pursue it.

Who knows what really went on with this situation, it's a weird one.

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by pudge
My boss does it all the time, "I'll try to get you such and such a raise, I'll see what I can do..."

Maybe it's not the best technique, but Alomar's camp was foolish not to pursue it.

Ever think your boss is just avoiding the question. That would be a perfect answer if that was purpose. I am not that is the motivation, just if it was that would be the way to answer the question.

anewman35
01-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Folks:

Lip

You missed Kenny's reponse, which I think is quite important:

The Sox have a different perspective, contending Williams and Alomar verbally agreed to a one-year deal worth $3 million during a one-on-one discussion in August. When Williams called Torres to hammer out the agreement, Sox officials say the agent sought two years.

Williams, while saying he regrets that he couldn't re-sign Alomar, was surprised to hear Torres' contention that a formal offer was never extended.

"I'm disappointed that it didn't work out, but I'm even more disappointed that Robbie felt that at some point he was disrespected or not communicated with," Williams said. "This he said/she said thing is not worth my time. I'm not going down that road. I'm more interested in seeing Robbie in spring training and embracing him. I still care about him."

There's two sides to every story...

Dadawg_77
01-08-2004, 02:31 PM

The Sox have a different perspective, contending Williams and Alomar verbally agreed to a one-year deal worth $3 million during a one-on-one discussion in August. When Williams called Torres to hammer out the agreement, Sox officials say the agent sought two years.

Williams, while saying he regrets that he couldn't re-sign Alomar, was surprised to hear Torres' contention that a formal offer was never extended.

"I'm disappointed that it didn't work out, but I'm even more disappointed that Robbie felt that at some point he was disrespected or not communicated with," Williams said. "This he said/she said thing is not worth my time. I'm not going down that road. I'm more interested in seeing Robbie in spring training and embracing him. I still care about him."

Sound like Horace Grant. JR still doesn't get it.

steff
01-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by pudge

I use "I'll see what I can do all the time..."

It's not even close to "how about this..... insert raise amount here... Great... glad that will work. Now let me go make sure it's OK with the boss..."

StillMissOzzie
01-08-2004, 06:29 PM
I think that's there's some truth in all of these ideas: Yes, JR should NEVER talk business w/o the agent, it's just extremely poor form. And Yes, I also think that Torres had to do some tap-dancing for Robbie for trying to get a 2-year deal when it doesn't look like any offers were coming. If he loses a client, he gets a percentage of ZIP.

And haven't the D-Backs been slashing payroll, too? Don't they want to get down to White Sox-area numbers in the next year or so? And after getting rid of Schilling, how great are THEIR chances of winning? I think Robbie had some pride issues as well, and couldn't come back here after decling the 1st offer. The Sox just made it easier by making their 2nd offer even less.

SMO

TornLabrum
01-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Not sure on your companies structure, but this also means either Kenny is over budget and or has no real power. A manager usually has power within certain guidelines to give raises. A baseball GM should have the power to put together the team within certain guidelines (budget).

Read my article "Budget Busts Sox." linked on the home page. They are over budget just with their ten highest paid players.

TornLabrum
01-08-2004, 07:23 PM

I'd almost agree with that, except that the Sox pulled the same crap of trying to go around the agent with Mark Buehrle earlier this year, before they actually sat down with his agent and hammered out a deal.

(I alluded to this tactic in a column in late 2003 without naming names since it was published before Buehrle signed his deal. This story was confirmed by two sources.)

inta
01-09-2004, 02:15 AM

sox management screws us all the time. i'll believe an agent over them anyday.

anewman35
01-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by inta
sox management screws us all the time. i'll believe an agent over them anyday.

Why support a team that screws you all the time?

Hangar18
01-09-2004, 09:41 AM

This Quote would look Awesome on a Sign at SoxFest
Opening Ceremonies

idseer
01-09-2004, 10:26 AM

personally i don't support this team at all! why should i?

i'm a sox fan as are all of you. but i'm not a sox slave!

Dadawg_77
01-09-2004, 11:52 AM

Support the uniform not the guy behind it. That is what most Sox fans feel at this time. There will be joyous celebration the minute Jerry loses control of White Sox.

anewman35
01-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Support the uniform not the guy behind it. That is what most Sox fans feel at this time. There will be joyous celebration the minute Jerry loses control of White Sox.

Until the first offseason when the new owner doesn't raise his payroll by $30 million and doesn't sign any big free agents. I give any new owner 2 years before people start hating him.

Dadawg_77
01-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Until the first offseason when the new owner doesn't raise his payroll by $30 million and doesn't sign any big free agents. I give any new owner 2 years before people start hating him.

Isn't about raising the payroll. It is about having a plan and catering to your fan.

red faber
01-10-2004, 04:14 AM

reinsdork doesn't really have any credibility either.
plus he has a track record of this kind of stuff.

so i believe the agent!!!

red faber
01-10-2004, 04:17 AM

why make excuses,and rationalize the moves of a team that screws us all the time?????????????????

red faber
01-10-2004, 04:19 AM

dude,if the owner ain't reinsdork,it's definately a improvement!!!

gosox41
01-10-2004, 09:50 AM

Until then many Sox fans belive in making the guy they hate that much richer (or so they think.)

If JR is making as much money as a lot of Sox fans thinks he is, then wouldn't that lower his incentive to sell. If I owned a baseball team where I had the ego trip that JR has and the chance to make alleged countless millions while running the team in the gorund, why sell. I'd wait for the outside chance I could win and live off those supposed millions I'm making off all the fans who hate me.

Bob

gosox41
01-10-2004, 09:52 AM

Two words:

Ratinalization and Denial.

It's nice to see Sox fans use these excuses to make a man they hate so much richer (supposedly, at least if you ask them.)

Bob

voodoochile
01-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Two words:

Ratinalization and Denial.

It's nice to see Sox fans use these excuses to make a man they hate so much richer (supposedly, at least if you ask them.)

Bob

No, we go to support our favorite team. Jerry's money is secondary to the situation. Given a perfect world, we could both support the team and not do anything for JR at all, but you have to make sacrafices sometimes.

It's the only game in town baseball wise...

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, we go to support our favorite team. Jerry's money is secondary to the situation. Given a perfect world, we could both support the team and not do anything for JR at all, but you have to make sacrafices sometimes.

It's the only game in town baseball wise...

Thats what makes this Fight so Hard. Personally Fighting the Media, cub fans, Media Perceptions, Media Stereotypes,
and then on top of all that, and if it wasnt Hard Enough, were Fighting our OWN OWNER, a guy on the INSIDE, KILLING US/HIMSELF/HIS TEAM with his Foolish Payroll Constraints, Bad PR Blunders, Disturbing Lack of Hiring good personnell AND Terrible Lack of Retaining good personnell, this guy is Oblivious to all of it. Conspirators on the outside, Foolish Tyrant on the inside,
how long can we last ?? I want to cheer for my team, and Yell at JR at the same time ..........

dickallen15
01-10-2004, 01:59 PM

So they turned down that offer, Torres evidently advises Robby to test the market, and they wind up with about half what the White Sox offered on a 1 year contract, with, and Lip will love this, even some of his paltry $1 million deferred. Torres misread the market, and is trying to put the blame anywhere but where it belongs. Agents are just as shady or even moreso than ballclubs.