PDA

View Full Version : Starting Shortstop?


fledgedrallycap
01-08-2004, 09:42 AM
I was listening to ESPN 1000 last night on my drive home and I heard Bruce Levine report that penciling Jose Valentin at short is not a sure thing at this point. I guess Ozzie really likes the ability and upside to Uribe.

What really scares me is that he stated Jose wouldn't necessariliy move to second. Let's hope this doesn't mean another stint in Center :gulp:

T-Bag
01-08-2004, 09:46 AM
I heard the same thing. Sounded like they might go back to using Jose where ever...IE: 2nd, CF (YUCK), SS. I'm hoping Uribe w/ turn out to be somewhat of a decent pick up. I am trying to be as optomistic as possible here...

eriqjaffe
01-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Maybe, just maybe...if the Sox can move Konerko (even if it's only for prospects), Frank can play 1B, and Jose can DH? Maybe that's the idea?

--Eriq.

jabrch
01-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by eriqjaffe
Maybe, just maybe...if the Sox can move Konerko (even if it's only for prospects), Frank can play 1B, and Jose can DH? Maybe that's the idea?

--Eriq.

If that is the plan, I would immediately request the head of KW on a platter. Jose would be the worst DH in the history of the game. If that was the plan, we didn't need to spend 5mm to sign him - we could have gotten Palmeiro, Juan Gonzaelz, Burks, Sanders, or any of a number of guys who are better hitters than Jose. I didn't like giving Jose 5mm to begin with, but if we did it to move him to DH so there is room for Uribe then Kenn needs to be shot, flayed, mutilated and then fired.

kittle42
01-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
Jose would be the worst DH in the history of the game.

But Mike Murphy says that Paul Molitor the singles hitter is the most embarrassing DH in the history of the game.

TaylorStSox
01-08-2004, 10:58 AM
I don't think Jose will be here by the start of the season.

jabrch
01-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
But Mike Murphy says that Paul Molitor the singles hitter is the most embarrassing DH in the history of the game.

And he (Murphy) is an idiot also. What's your point? lol...

That, of course, is sour grapes on the whole Sandberg thing.

TheRockinMT
01-08-2004, 11:59 AM
I hope Ozzie leaves Valentin at SS. If he wants to play Uribe then the guy might play against lefties and/or allow Ozzie to move Jose to third in a game situation, if for some reason he needed to take out Crede. Jose is a better all around player than Uribe is and tinkering around with the starting line up is not a good thing unless you know for certain you have someone better to step in.

doublem23
01-08-2004, 12:09 PM
The very fact that half our starting infield for the next year realistically could be Juan Uribe and Willie Harris is enough to make me sick.

RKMeibalane
01-08-2004, 12:32 PM
:ozzie:

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

pudge
01-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
:ozzie:

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

dude, don't make me sick, the season is three months away still.

34 Inch Stick
01-08-2004, 12:49 PM
They say championship teams are strong up the middle. Rowand, Harris, Uribe and Olivo... see you guys next year.

JRIG
01-08-2004, 01:55 PM
It would be tough to come up with a worse offensive combination at SS at 2B than Uribe and Harris. Uribe didn't hit at all last year...in Colorado.

But he probably does play the game Guillen's way -- mediocre average, no power, no patience. Except Uribe will strike out a lot more.

MRKARNO
01-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Valentin's defensive numbers are actually pretty good and he has a good range factor. I'd keep him at second. His offensive numbers aint all that bad either. If you want to give Uribe a shot, let it be at second, where Willie Harris hasnt exactly proved that the spot is his.

Foulke You
01-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Didn't they learn from the 2001 fiasco with the roving Jose Valentin playing every position on Earth? Ugh. Play Jose at SS or don't play him anywhere.

jeremyb1
01-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Ozzie is here to be the manager, to motivate the players and engage in in-game strategy. He'd better not be deciding where guys play on the field after KW reups them for 5 million.

jabrch
01-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
The very fact that half our starting infield for the next year realistically could be Juan Uribe and Willie Harris is enough to make me sick.

Sadly enough, the other potential half (PK and Crede) doesn't remind me of the 27 Yankees either. If that's not enough, we still have Rowand and Olivo in the lineup every day...

OUCH

A. Cavatica
01-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I was listening to ESPN 1000 last night on my drive home and I heard Bruce Levine report that penciling Jose Valentin at short is not a sure thing at this point. I guess Ozzie really likes the ability and upside to Uribe.

What really scares me is that he stated Jose wouldn't necessariliy move to second. Let's hope this doesn't mean another stint in Center :gulp:

Or, as I heard Peter Gammons say on WEEI (Boston) tonight, the Nomar-for-Maggs deal "is still out there". Presumably Valentin would go to Boston along with Maggs, and some other player (Damon? Nixon? Lowe? All are 1 year from FA) would come here along with Nomar.

I am as sick of this rumor as the next guy, but I really think it's not stone cold dead yet.

tlebar318
01-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica


Or, as I heard Peter Gammons say on WEEI (Boston) tonight, the Nomar-for-Maggs deal "is still out there". Presumably Valentin would go to Boston along with Maggs, and some other player (Damon? Nixon? Lowe? All are 1 year from FA) would come here along with Nomar.

I am as sick of this rumor as the next guy, but I really think it's not stone cold dead yet.

As much as I love Maggs....I want this deal to happen as long as it includes Williamson...We have lost a lot of pitching. I think Uribe ends up being the starting shortstop--whether we like it or not--and we end up trading Garciaparra to LA for pitching..I still think this will happen....I will not miss Jose but Maggs is the man! It's Miller Time for me and football is calling! Go Eagles! Can't root for the Packers---I love pain as I am a Bears fan as well...... :gulp:

duke of dorwood
01-11-2004, 04:49 PM
The bad drafting of Jason Dallaero is really coming home to roost right now

tlebar318
01-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The bad drafting of Jason Dallaero is really coming home to roost right now


Where is Harry Chappas when you need him? Is Alan Bannister collecting social security yet? We did it with Kessinger..how about Ozzie as player/manager? :smile:

:gulp:

duke of dorwood
01-11-2004, 05:37 PM
This is why Nomar would make us so much better.

soxwon
01-11-2004, 05:47 PM
ITLL BE NOMAR AT SHORT- I GUARANTEEEEE IT.

Huisj
01-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Valentin's defensive numbers are actually pretty good and he has a good range factor. I'd keep him at second. His offensive numbers aint all that bad either. If you want to give Uribe a shot, let it be at second, where Willie Harris hasnt exactly proved that the spot is his.

I think baseball prospectus did a big huge in depth defensive analysis of all positions this year to see how well the gold glove award voters were, and they concluded that valentin was one of the top two or three fielding shortstops in the league last year.

so he finally seems to be comfortable defensively, and they want to move him? makes great sense.

tlebar318
01-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Huisj


I think baseball prospectus did a big huge in depth defensive analysis of all positions this year to see how well the gold glove award voters were, and they concluded that valentin was one of the top two or three fielding shortstops in the league last year.

so he finally seems to be comfortable defensively, and they want to move him? makes great sense.


I think Jose is a good guy and a "grinder" as KW would put it BUT I think he hurts us defensively and his average was down last year...still like the guy and I do admire his hustle--if they all gave the same effort as Valentin we would win 100 games...I know someone who was his roommate with the Padres in the old days and they have faith...I do too but if we can upgrade then let's do it....Beer me! :gulp: Why is all the beer on this website dark? :D:

Daver
01-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by tlebar318
Why is all the beer on this website dark?


It's soda pop.

None of us drink.



:bandance:

tlebar318
01-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Daver



It's soda pop.

None of us drink.



:bandance:


I understand.....BUT being a Chicago Sports Fan has made me drink over the years! :smile:

I could probably do a better job than Jerry Angelo, KW, and JR as long as I could get into the $$$!
"Halas throws around nickels like manhole covers"-Mike Ditka

I really wish we had a Steinbrenner in town!
Have a good night Daver!

MRKARNO
01-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by tlebar318

I really wish we had a Steinbrenner in town!


Be careful what you wish for because you might get it.

Imagine what if a steinbrenner type took over the cubs.

tlebar318
01-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Be careful what you wish for because you might get it.

Imagine what if a steinbrenner type took over the cubs.
WHITE SOX SIDE OF TOWN ONLY!!!!!!
God! Could not deal with a completely open wallet anywhere but with the Sox or the Bulls! Please don't scare me! I will have nightmares now! :D:

MRKARNO
01-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by tlebar318
WHITE SOX SIDE OF TOWN ONLY!!!!!!
God! Could not deal with a completely open wallet anywhere but with the Sox or the Bulls! Please don't scare me! I will have nightmares now! :D:

Now...see what reckless wishing will do to you? :)

34 Inch Stick
01-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Daver
It's soda pop.

None of us drink.



:bandance:

I thought it was pint glasses of rum and coke. Maybe that's why my tolerance has been so high.

Jerko
01-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Doesn't anybody in this team's front office realize that the last time the Sox won this pathetic division that Valentin was the EVERYDAY shortstop? Yes, he even played against lefties all year. I am not saying that he is the key, but leave the guy alone and maybe he'll be more consistent.

BeerHandle
01-12-2004, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
[B]I was listening to ESPN 1000 last night on my drive home and I heard Bruce Levine report that penciling Jose Valentin at short is not a sure thing at this point. I guess Ozzie really likes the ability and upside to Uribe.

Levine gets a lot of support on this board, but how many times is he actually correct?

soxwon
01-12-2004, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BeerHandle
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
[B]I was listening to ESPN 1000 last night on my drive home and I heard Bruce Levine report that penciling Jose Valentin at short is not a sure thing at this point. I guess Ozzie really likes the ability and upside to Uribe.


You can spell Uribe.
NOMAR- cause thats who were gonna get!!!!

tlebar318
01-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I thought it was pint glasses of rum and coke. Maybe that's why my tolerance has been so high.

I thought it was a Guinness....I am watching my figure so I guess I will stick with the Miller Lite! Pretty funny 34 inch stick! :D: