PDA

View Full Version : What do you do before and after a Sox game?

fledgedrallycap
01-08-2004, 10:06 AM
I was reading an article in the Suntimes about what the five major sports teams in this town do to accomidate the fans. The point was made, again, that Sox Park is sitting in a less-than-attractive location which deters the average fan from going:

"Fans going to sporting events want to be entertained, and that includes what happens in the neighborhood.''

I was looking for some feedback to see if I am the only person who believes this is complete garbage. I don't go to White Sox games to drink in a neighborhood bar, nor do I have the time to get there in ample time to enjoy myself. I attend mostly weekday games, so by the last out, I should make the 45 minute drive back home; not sit in a bar until 2 a.m.

I guess I am just tired of hearing this statement just because the Southside isn't a Buorbon Street Wanna-Be.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-org08.html

1951Campbell
01-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Before: pray.

After: swear a lot. Drink.

fledgedrallycap
01-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Before: pray.

After: swear a lot. Drink.

:) I like.

Clembasbal
01-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Before: I tailgate

After: I go to Freddie's on 33rd and Wood and then I go to Bars.

kittle42
01-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Before: Bullpen Sports Bar

After: "Retreat" to north side

Palehose13
01-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Before: Bullpen sportsbar and/or Grandstand
After: Bullpen Sportsbar then Ricobene's (Yum!)

Viva Magglio
01-08-2004, 12:56 PM
If you get there very early with time to kill, you can not only go to Grandstand but also to Schaller's Pump and take a little tour of Bridgeport along the way. Most of you know that Grandstand is located at 35th & Wallace. Whenever I go to Schaller's, I walk westbound along 35th Street until I get to Lowe and walk southbound. On this street, you will see the house where former Mayor Richard J. Daley and his wife, Eleanor, once lived.

The house located at 3636 (?) South Lowe is a brick bunglow with Irish lace curtains and a flagpole in front. When Mrs. Daley was still alive, an unmarked Chicago Police Department patrol car was parked in front of the house 24/7. Even today, I would recommend NOT standing in front of the house observing and especially NOT recommend taking pictures of it. I am sure the house is still occupied by members of the Daley family.

Once you get to 37th Street, walk westbound toward Halsted. At 37th & Lowe is the McKeon Funeral Home and Nativity of Our Lord Catholic Church on the South Side of 37th Street. Right at the end of 37th and Halsted is Schaller's. On the way back to the ballpark, simply walk on Halsted northbound and take 35th Street eastbound back to the ballpark.

Iwritecode
01-08-2004, 01:06 PM
When going to USCF
Before: Drive 2-3 hours to get to the park. If I get there early enough, I do a little tailgating and then walk around the concourse and check out the shops.

After: Drive 2 -3 hours (depending on traffic) back home.

When going to Wrigley
Before: Drive 2-3 hours to get to the park. Once I grabbed a burger at a burger joint next to the stadium. Can't rememeber the name of it though.

After: Sit in my car for about an hour because traffic there is impossible!!! Then drive 2 -3 hours back home.

steff
01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Depending on time... and excluding designated tailgating party days..

Before - Jimbo's or BPB.

After - BPB or Jimbo's

:D:

Maximo
01-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Before: Walk thru stadium concourse looking for Cub fans.
After: Walk thru parking lot.....looking for Cub fans

Paulwny
01-08-2004, 01:12 PM
During the game --Mylanta
After the game --Pepcid AC

Brian26
01-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Maximo
Before: Walk thru stadium concourse looking for Cub fans.
After: Walk thru parking lot.....looking for Cub fans

LOL! I like the "After", especially after a loss.

Brian26
01-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The house located at 3636 (?) South Lowe is a brick bunglow with Irish lace curtains and a flagpole in front. When Mrs. Daley was still alive, an unmarked Chicago Police Department patrol car was parked in front of the house 24/7. Even today, I would recommend NOT standing in front of the house observing and especially NOT recommend taking pictures of it. I am sure the house is still occupied by members of the Daley family.

Nice of you to post the address then.

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Before, if meeting others w/o tickets. Jimbos
Before, if meeting Steff, BullPen Bar

After...Jimbos, then home

steff
01-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Before, if meeting others w/o tickets. Jimbos
Before, if meeting Steff, BullPen Bar

After...Jimbos, then home

Before.. if without tickets.. you lollygag while Kris and I wait at the gate for you to come get your ticket!!!

:D: :D:

Brian26
01-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Before: 35th St looking for a scalper.

After: Scores (tm)

jordan23ventura
01-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

"Fans going to sporting events want to be entertained, and that includes what happens in the neighborhood.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-org08.html

I agree with you. That statement is ridiculous. I'd gladly take one hell of a beating from gang members looking to steal my wallet and endure all the hookers soliciting me if the Sox were winning.

But again, if I may make a broad generalization, you must remember that these comments are typically written by yuppies who have no idea what a balk is. These people have no genuine passion for the sport and will go anywhere purely for the atmosphere alone. When asked about their experience the next day at work, they will say nothing about the game and instead talk of the hotdogs, parking expenses, and the traffic. They also tend to be easily influenced by the media and tend to believe that any poor person is mentally capable of robbery, rape, or murder.

mike squires
01-08-2004, 02:15 PM
I turn into a kid before the game. I'm there one of the first to enter the park. I go down to the right field corner and snag foul balls during BP. I usually get one. I don't typically do autographs anymore but when I want one I am focused and usually get my mission accomplished. Last year, Greg Walker was the first 83 member to sign my seat.

During the game, if it's a big crowd I discourge the wave as musch as possible.

After~On the road trying not to get stuck in traffic. Then watach the game again on video.

whitesoxwilkes
01-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Before: Wherever Steff tells me to go

After: White Castle or 7-11 for bad frozen pizza

Hosey22
01-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Being that i'm not old enough to drink quite yet, losses are fairly depressing. But before games, i usually hit Lindy's on my way up from the south side, and after, depending on the weather i usually hit a taste-freeze or hot dog joint on the way home. I usually try to bring a bunch of people with me and that's usually fun. I will enjoy the days when i can drown my sorrows in the bullpen bar after a loss, but not that often. I mean I'm not a cubs fan.

Brian26
01-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
After: White Castle or 7-11 for bad frozen pizza

And before anyone asks....yes, there is such a thing as good frozen pizza. DiGiorno's Naturally Rising.

rcescato
01-08-2004, 02:33 PM
I mostly tailgate before and after. I usually get to the parking lot when it opens at 5. Sometimes i walk to jimbos or cobblestone.
or I drive to schallers on some days.
Rich

Brian26
01-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Hosey22
Being that i'm not old enough to drink quite yet, losses are fairly depressing.... I will enjoy the days when i can drown my sorrows in the bullpen bar after a loss

Always nice to see WSI corrupting America's youth.

Kid, lay off the booze as long as possible. Concentrate on hot women your age.

maurice
01-08-2004, 03:02 PM
To keep my high-priced ballpark food intake down, I usually grab a super-burrito at Taqueria San Jose (3253 S. Halsted) before the game. Sometimes, I'll get a sandwich at Freddie's (701 W. 31st), Ricobene's (252 W. 26th), or Graziano's (605 W. 31st).

If it's an early start, I get a late breakfast at the Bridgeport Restaurant (3500 S. Halsted), Healthy Food (3226 S. Halsted), or Ramova Grill (3510 S. Halsted), or just grab some coffee and a pastry at Impalaria Bakery (2952 S. Wallace).

For a more substantial meal (usually with guests), I go to Bertucci's (300 W. 24th), Connie's Pizza (2373 S. Archer), Evergreen (2411 S. Wentworth), Franco's (300 W. 31st), Pancho's (700 W. 31st), or Polo Cafe (3322 S. Morgan).

Neighborhood bars are far too numerous to mention, but Jimbo's is the closest to the park. When the stadium was built, JR made sure that no business could be located any closer to keep competitors away. It seems that the decision cost him much more money that it made.

Viva Magglio
01-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Nice of you to post the address then.

It's common knowledge.

whitesoxwilkes
01-08-2004, 03:11 PM
It's common knowledge.

Anyone who has read Mike Royko's _Boss_ can tell you that address.

whitesoxwilkes
And before anyone asks....yes, there is such a thing as good frozen pizza. DiGiorno's Naturally Rising.

That's what we always get. Still not as good as delivery though.
:)

THE_HOOTER
Before: I take a nice, hairy, solid dump before i leave the house.

After: I take a soupy, gravy filled dump as a result of the Grilled onions. :o:

BeerHandle
01-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Before: Tailgate and play bags in Lot E

After: Tailgate and then go to Bar Louie in the West Loop (Halsted/Randolph)

Brian26
01-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
After: Tailgate and then go to Bar Louie in the West Loop (Halsted/Randolph)

Went to a Christmas party there. Nice location. Much better than the dumpy Chicago Avenue location.

miker
01-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Before:
Walk around the concourse that my ticket legally allows me, get some food and drink and watch batting practice.

After:
Win -- smile, while sitting trying to get out of parking lot or stuffed on Red Line train.
Loss -- pout, while sitting trying to get out of parking lot or stuffed on Red Line train.

miker
01-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

After: I take a soupy, gravy filled dump as a result of the Grilled onions. :o:
Is this my former co-worker Frank W.? Its definitely his nickname and sick sense of humor. :smile:

hillbilly
01-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Before: Drink lots of booze in lot G so when i go into the stadium i don't even care the sox are losing. then i work :(:

After: Go to the bsb until they kick me out for wearing my levy restaurant uniform (Big No No). I guess they dont like to see underage employees drinking lol enough said :gulp: dont wanna get fired

P.S. IM joking i drink a lil booze before the games only

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-08-2004, 05:37 PM
before: go to grandstand and then walk back to the stadium and go in to watch batting practice and get some of that good food smell

after: We used to stop at Original Maxwells street but it's not there anymore and then we drive back home

ode to veeck
01-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

After: I take a soupy, gravy filled dump as a result of the Grilled onions

*****!

For me:

Used to be:

Before: Meet up at McCuddy's and have a few waiting for everyone to show up. Wait in line to get in with West while our friend Kip gets thrown out before the game begins or he even steps foot in the park

Afterwards: Ribs and more beer at the Stockyard Inn or Miller's pub, stagger home

now:

before: go early watch batting practice, try to take pics of Royce's bad hair day with hat off or Rowand bouncing off the wall in outfield practice, get a head start on trying to eat one of every kind of sausage for sale at the park in a singal day, wash down with a few brews

after: ribs and more brews at Miller's pub, turn in rent-a-car at ohare and sleep on the flight home

LoveTheSox
01-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Before: friends and I make the long drive into the Ballpark...usually barely making it for the first pitch (much to our dismay)

After: if we go out it's a bar in lincoln park, otherwise it's back onto the expressway for the long drive home

Foulke You
01-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Before-

If early:

Hop on the Red Line L train and stop off at Cermak/22nd st. (stop right before 35th st) and go get some tasty Chinese food at a place called "Won Kow" in Chinatown. Mmmmm...Egg Rolls and Sesame Chicken... I will then stop at Grandstand once in a while but usually just go right to the ballpark from there.

If late:

Hop on the Red Line L and get off right at the ballpark. Find the nearest hot dog kiosk on the lower level concourse, get a Kosher Dog or Polish with grilled onions and a 20 oz Pepsi.

After-

Usually go home and drink beer, if not, go to a local bar near my house to drink. I do little to no drinking at the ballpark. I need my full focus on the ballgame and I don't want to miss an inning waiting in line to take a leak.

ewokpelts
01-08-2004, 06:18 PM
It's common knowledge.

yeah...if u WERE stoopid enuff to try and mess with sis daley, you'dhave to face two stations full of cops and firemen that conviently are across the street trying to kick your ....
Gene

ewokpelts
01-08-2004, 06:24 PM
I try and get a hotdog from the guy on 37th/parnell either before or after....i'm usually riding the 35th bus on my way there...i try to hit grandstand when i can(btw, go during offseason/off days...they liek to have specials)...but i'm going to try more places in bridgeport this coming year....but i usually just go straight home(35th bus to orange line).....there is this one mexican place on archer not too far from lindy's that's pretty good...i went there after the home run derby
Gene

SluggersAway
01-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't been to the south side in years.

What is the neighourhood like these days?

Any economic development?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

http://aubreyherbert.blogspot.com

TornLabrum
01-08-2004, 07:14 PM

I'm kind of partial to Connie's and Home Run Inn frozen pizzas.

mike squires
01-08-2004, 07:18 PM
When going to Wrigley
Before: Drive 2-3 hours to get to the park. Once I grabbed a burger at a burger joint next to the stadium. Can't rememeber the name of it though.

After: Sit in my car for about an hour because traffic there is impossible!!! Then drive 2 -3 hours back home. [/B][/QUOTE]

When at Wrigley:Which is rare!!!
-------------------------------------------

Before the game~Spend an hour trying to find a parking spot. Last time was under the tracks, we returned to find rusty stuff that had leaked down on the car our friends drove...Walk a mile to the park...

Take a leak in the horse troughs and hope the guy next to me doesn't drip on me.

Watch some stupid celebrity sing the 7th inning stretch.

Walk back to the car which takes forever. i've seen cattle move faater.

HITMEN OF 77
01-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Being I live in WA State now, I only see the Sox when they come here to play Peattle. I drive 2 hours over for the series. Before the game go down to the pier and drink at "Red Robin" and get a burger, then walk over to the park. Across the street from Safeco Field is "Pyramid Brewing Company", stop there for their outdoor party before every game and have a few more beers. Go to the game and have a few more beers. After the game go to "Sluggers Bar" and have and few more beers. Sometimes there are Sox fans at Sluggers (maybe you were there and we met?) Last year, got in a fight after the game with a dumb Peattle fan, made an idiot of himself in fornt of his family, spilt beer all over himself, and then I got kicked out, even though the game was over.....Ah the memories at the old ball game. I'm thirsty after typing all that.... :gulp:

maurice
01-08-2004, 07:38 PM
For those lamenting the demise of Maxwell St., please be advised that Jim's relocated one block east to 700 W. O'Brien. I think it's on the frontage road (Union?) just to the west of the Dan Ryan and south of Roosevelt. Also, Maxwell-style cuisine can be had at Maxwell St. Depot, 411 W. 31st (next to the viaduct).

Hosey22
01-08-2004, 07:47 PM

Oh, believe me, i concentrate on women of all ages. And with the amount of depression i've suffered through for 19 years as a sox fan, spending time in the bar after sox losses would without a doubt make me an alcoholic. But seriously, I've taken a lot of people, who are otherwise not to sharp on baseball, to games in the last few years, and everyone of them has completely enjoyed themselves at the ballpark. It is not only a great place to watch a ballgame, but a great place to keep people entertained with other things, if they're not as crazy about baseball as we are. I took a girl to a ballgame in august this year, and she had been to only one other game at wrigley. She said it was unbelievable how much more fun a sox game was then a cubs game. She knew nothing about baseball then, and is now pretty damn close to being a die-hard. Maybe it was good that Thomas homered in the bottom of the ninth to beat Anaheim to help sell her on the park and team. But the cell, as they call it these days, is as good a place to enjoy a ballgame as anywhere

starboy0
01-08-2004, 07:59 PM
I take the train in to see games and love to get there early. Sometimes I would like to get a beer before the gates open and/or after the game but I have no idea where to go.

Sounds like Grandstand and Jimbos keep coming up in the posts. Exactly how do you walk there from the park?

Thanks! And I'll buy you one.

santo=dorf
01-08-2004, 08:05 PM
You know I posted a thread like this in the parking lot awhile back and NOBODY replied to it, oh well. I always go to my family's Pump for a good meal and a parking spot. Then I usually find someway to spend money at Grandstand.

ewokpelts
01-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Hosey22
Oh, believe me, i concentrate on women of all ages. And with the amount of depression i've suffered through for 19 years as a sox fan, spending time in the bar after sox losses would without a doubt make me an alcoholic. But seriously, I've taken a lot of people, who are otherwise not to sharp on baseball, to games in the last few years, and everyone of them has completely enjoyed themselves at the ballpark. It is not only a great place to watch a ballgame, but a great place to keep people entertained with other things, if they're not as crazy about baseball as we are. I took a girl to a ballgame in august this year, and she had been to only one other game at wrigley. She said it was unbelievable how much more fun a sox game was then a cubs game. She knew nothing about baseball then, and is now pretty damn close to being a die-hard. Maybe it was good that Thomas homered in the bottom of the ninth to beat Anaheim to help sell her on the park and team. But the cell, as they call it these days, is as good a place to enjoy a ballgame as anywhere

I've been in the habit of taking non-baseball fan friends to games.....and get this..they liked it! even the upper deck(first 5 rows)...and the girlfriend's a die hard, so naturally i liek her even more
Gene

washington
01-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by maurice
Also, Maxwell-style cuisine can be had at Maxwell St. Depot, 411 W. 31st (next to the viaduct).

Yup, it's open 24 hours, the food's great & about half the price of what they charge inside the park.

Jerko
01-09-2004, 01:01 PM

Then he'll REALLY need to hit the bottle!

Huisj
01-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
When going to USCF
Before: Drive 2-3 hours to get to the park. If I get there early enough, I do a little tailgating and then walk around the concourse and check out the shops.

After: Drive 2 -3 hours (depending on traffic) back home.

You stole my idea.

And recently that drive home to GR involves everyone else in the car falling asleep about halfway through indiana and me driving through the darkness with 2 or 3 other people sleeping through the night.

maurice
01-09-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by starboy0
I take the train in to see games and love to get there early. . . . Sounds like Grandstand and Jimbos keep coming up in the posts. Exactly how do you walk there from the park?

Both are easy walking distance (approximately 1/4 mile) from the park. The following directions are from the corner of 35th and Shields.

Grandstand: walk west on 35th St. under the viaduct to Wallace, which is the first stop light. Grandstand is on the corner of 35th and Wallace. You can't miss it.

Jimbo's: walk north on Shields past the parking lots and the (Louis Sullivan designed) Armour Square Park field house. Turn right (east) on 33rd St. and walk to Princeton. It's on the corner of 33rd and Princeton.

There's an even shorter route to Jimbo's if you're coming directly from the 35th/Sox Red Line stop. From the Red Line platform, instead of walking south and taking the 35th St. exit to the Cell with the rest of the crowd, walk north on the platform and exit on 33rd. Walk left (west) on 33rd St. to Princeton.

cubhater
01-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Before: pour a stiff vodka drink and walk down 35th to the ballpark, then catch BP in left field.

After: stumble down 35th back home and maybe grab a burrito on Halstead to soak up the booze.