PDA

View Full Version : Chicago: Home of the Cubs

soxfan26
01-08-2004, 07:24 AM
An article from the Sun-Times today

Cubs kind of town, Chicago is (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-org08.html)

Another day in the life of a Sox fan

:ohno

Irishlawyer
01-08-2004, 07:36 AM
At some point, fans need to become anti-fans and start a public relations campaign against our incompetent ownership.

miker
01-08-2004, 07:42 AM
The media is just a "john", sucking on a whore named "Popularity."

I don't need the media or the Cubs.

Now I am watching them trying to make us feel sorry for people who didn't get tickets at the Urinal today....awwww, I'm so touched.

hold2dibber
01-08-2004, 07:59 AM
It's hard to disagree with her conclusions about the Sox. Anyone with half a brain can see that there is one way and only one way for the Sox to re-claim their lost fan base and make themselves a prominent fixture on the Chicago sports scene - and that is to win, win big, and win consistently.

Based upon the stellar offseason thus far, I think it's fair to say that this realization hasn't come to JR yet.

hsnterprize
01-08-2004, 08:04 AM
This article only reinforces what we've been saying all along...it will take an all-out blitz of winning and good P.R. for the Sox and Sox fans to get any legitimate respect. With credit to the Cubs' for their performance, the author quotes someone from the University of Chicago saying that Wrigley Field's location and demographics were a big reason why the Cubs are such a hot draw, while the Sox can't draw as much despite their fan-based promotions.

soxfan26
01-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Irishlawyer
At some point, fans need to become anti-fans and start a public relations campaign against our incompetent ownership.

Makes me think of one of my favorite songs:

One-sided stories
For years and years and years
I'm inferior? Who's inferior?
Yeah, we need to check the interior
Of the system that cares
About only one culture
And that is why
We gotta take the power back

-Rage Against the Machine

chuckn98229
01-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It's hard to disagree with her conclusions about the Sox. Anyone with half a brain can see that there is one way and only one way for the Sox to re-claim their lost fan base and make themselves a prominent fixture on the Chicago sports scene - and that is to win, win big, and win consistently.

Based upon the stellar offseason thus far, I think it's fair to say that this realization hasn't come to JR yet.

Agreed! - But it will never happen as long a JR is calling the shots.

Lip Man 1
01-08-2004, 11:20 AM
There was absolutely nothing wrong with that story even down to the remarks about the LastHawks.

But here's the part that really got to me:

]"Among other public-relations pitfalls, Rich Honack cited the attempt in the early 1980s by the Sox, Bulls and Hawks to get viewers to pay to watch their games on television.[/I]

"Customers remember when you alienate them,'' he said, "and they're unforgiving.''

Especially Sox fans. Words to live by for Uncle Jerry!

Lip

PaulDrake
01-08-2004, 11:26 AM
The Cubs are Bears are tops in the hearts and minds of Chicago sports fans today. If Paxson can get the Bulls moving forward again, they'll be back in the mix. The Black Hawks and White Sox are doing their level best to self destruct. As a matter of fact, when I look at the Hawks, I'm fearful that the Sox are headed jin the same direction.

Maximo
01-08-2004, 11:37 AM
To most people the Cubs were, are, and always will be the only baseball team in Chicago. Even when they were "the lovable losers". It'll never change and will only get worse should they manage to win themselves a World Series.

However, we all know , this is destined to never happen.......especially with Sammy Sosa occupying a seat in their clubhouse. Sammy in the Cub Clubhouse is better than Sammy in the Sox outfield anyday.

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Does anyone in the Sox Front Office Read these things?
Do they listen to their Fans? do they think?

Hangar18
01-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
To most people the Cubs were, are, and always will be the only baseball team in Chicago. Even when they were "the lovable losers". It'll never change and will only get worse should they manage to win themselves a World Series.

We can blame the Years of Sensationalist Propoganda or Cubpoganda if you will, with them being the "only" team in town.
Otherwise, noone wouldve cared to go to that dump.....

Foulke You
01-08-2004, 11:50 AM
"The publicity surrounding rowdy fans at Sox games has not helped, either, even though there probably are as many drunks at Wrigley."

Probably? Probably???!! Has this writer ever attended a night game at Wrigley? Jeez.

"Fans going to sporting events want to be entertained, and that includes what happens in the neighborhood.''

Maybe Cubs fans want to be "entertained" by the neighborhood, White Sox fans want to see a winning ballclub entertain them and couldn't care less what the neighborhood has to offer as long as the team is winning. You put a World Series contender out there every year and you will see a full ballpark regardless of what the neighborhood has to offer.

npdempse
01-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Foulke You

"Fans going to sporting events want to be entertained, and that includes what happens in the neighborhood.''

Maybe Cubs fans want to be "entertained" by the neighborhood, White Sox fans want to see a winning ballclub entertain them and couldn't care less what the neighborhood has to offer as long as the team is winning. You put a World Series contender out there every year and you will see a full ballpark regardless of what the neighborhood has to offer. [/B]

Don't disrespect Sanderson; he knows what he's talking about. But he probably should replace "fan" with "casual consumer of baseball," in which case he's absolutely right. Americans have become accustomed to the Disneyland atmosphere, where you can gorge on various kinds of entertainment within a very small area, see a lot of dare I say white faces, and generally feel little difference from being in your own living room. Bridgeport doesn't let them do that, Wrigleyville does. If and when IIT spearheads more advanced gentrification near 35th and Shields--and this is already well on its way with the destruction of the high rise CHA buildings, the Sox may well enjoy the same benefits of neighborhood that Wrigley does.

Of course, my other hope is that the Trib makes good on their threat to move to the suburbs after years of battling the neighbors and sounds the death knell for the Cubs, a team built around a ballpark, not around people.

doublem23
01-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Wow what a ****in' tard.

Man, this guy needs to rub his two brain cells together and try and start a fire. I wasted a good 2 minutes of my life reading that I want it back.

jordan23ventura
01-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

The Cubs haven't been consistent yet. Granted, if they sign Maddux they are the NL favorites, but it hasn't happened yet.

Originally posted by Maximo

However, we all know , this is destined to never happen.......especially with Sammy Sosa occupying a seat in their clubhouse. Sammy in the Cub Clubhouse is better than Sammy in the Sox outfield anyday.

To most people? Most people support winning teams. Look at Detroit or Milwaukee. Make no mistake about it, those cities are full of baseball fans and it's not their fault that their team sucks. If I were to give an unresearched opinion and present it as a fact, I would say Chicago is a Sox city. We just haven't had the chance to prove it.

jordan23ventura
01-08-2004, 12:23 PM
By the way.... when's the last time the Sox ever made a REAL effort to honor their history and the important players behind it? Bobble-head night is a joke. The Black Sox are a gold mine, they just don't know how to exploit it.

pudge
01-08-2004, 01:00 PM
I didn't think it was bad at all - maybe a little gimmicky, but hey, a newspaper needs to fill space....

The most interesting aspect was the Bulls drawing fans despite being a terrible team.... HMMM... maybe it's the carryover from SIX WORLD TITLES?? Here we are, SIX years removed from the last championship, and it's still helping the franchise.... what a concept.

maurice
01-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-org08.html)

I don't necessarily take issue with the conclusion, but (as usual) the information used to reach the conclusion is not factual. Notably, the author gave the perennial losing cubs an "A" grade for "win-loss." Though the Sox generally win more games and won only two fewer games than the cubs in 2003, the Sox got a "C" grade, identical to a Bears team that finished two games under .500.

They also quote a UofC "sports economist" who speculates that, unlike Bridgeport, Lake View is a "desirable" neighborhood, citing its "affluent population base," and the presence of "bars, restaurants and souvenir shops." Apparently, it was too much trouble to interview a person who has actually been to Bridgeport and could disclose that it has numerous, brand-new, million-dollar houses, plenty of bars, many excellent restaurants, and the best souvenir shop in the city.

It's one thing to read this drivel in the Trib, which has a financial motive to slander the Sox, but the Sun-Times is the same paper that regularly features updates on the housing boom in Bridgeport.

Note to Sun-Times columnists: please read you own paper before writing articles. Thanks.

RKMeibalane
01-08-2004, 01:04 PM
This isn't surprising. The Chicago media has a history of making themselves look stupid in order to give the Cubs more coverage. It won't end unless the Sox win the World Series.

Iwritecode
01-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Notably, the author gave the perennial losing cubs an "A" grade for "win-loss." Though the Sox generally win more games and won only two fewer games than the cubs in 2003, the Sox got a "C" grade, identical to a Bears team that finished two games under .500.

I'm sure they were just looking at last year and conveniently forgot that the Cubs lost almost 100 games just the year before.

The only reason I can see them giving the Cubs an "A" would be because they actually managed to win 6 post-season games.

There's no way the Sox deserved anything less than a "B" though...

npdempse
01-08-2004, 01:44 PM

They also quote a UofC "sports economist" who speculates that, unlike Bridgeport, Lake View is a "desirable" neighborhood, citing its "affluent population base," and the presence of "bars, restaurants and souvenir shops." Apparently, it was too much trouble to interview a person who has actually been to Bridgeport and could disclose that it has numerous, brand-new, million-dollar houses, plenty of bars, many excellent restaurants, and the best souvenir shop in the city.

While it's a stupid article, Sanderson is on the money. The area around 35th & Shields is much worse off than Wrigleyville. Are you really going to compare the quantities of nightlife on Clark to those on Halsted around 35th?

Want some numbers?
http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/percapitaincomecity1999.jpg

Granted, there's one red box for Bridgeport's tract, but the rest are pale, poor green.

As I said in the other thread about this article, the area around the park needs to gentrify a LOT for it to become a draw to the casual baseball enthusiast.

fledgedrallycap
01-08-2004, 01:44 PM
My favorite line in the article is this:

The author is building evidence on why the Cubs are #1 (drumroll please):

"All of their games are on television"

Need I say more :?:

kittle42
01-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
"The publicity surrounding rowdy fans at Sox games has not helped, either, even though there probably are as many drunks at Wrigley."

Probably? Probably???!! Has this writer ever attended a night game at Wrigley? Jeez.

There are more drunk people at Wrigley than there are people in general at the Cell.

maurice
01-08-2004, 02:22 PM
The red blot (indicating the Chicago area's most affluent population base) is right in the middle of Bridgeport and about two blocks from the stadium. You may have noticed that the two-block radius around 35th and Shields has almost no residents, since it is comprised (by design) almost entirely of the Cell, Armour Square Park, and parking lots. The red blot has expanded significantly since the 1999 census and so has the smaller red blot on the other side of the Dan Ryan in Bronzeville. Most of the CHA highrises in Bronzeville (presumably containing its poorest residents) have been demolished since the 1999 census.

If you're unaware of things to do before or after a Sox game, you might consider looking at the lengthy current thread with that title. As I expressed in that thread, the parkinglotification of the area immediately around the park was a very bad thing and should be redressed ASAP.

vegyrex
01-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

Of course, my other hope is that the Trib makes good on their threat to move to the suburbs after years of battling the neighbors and sounds the death knell for the Cubs, a team built around a ballpark, not around people.

Heh, if the flubs didn't have Wrigley, the flubs would have moved out of Chicago long ago. Never has a team received so much for doing so little.

MRKARNO
01-08-2004, 04:09 PM
As a Sox fan I agreed with a lot of what he said except the neighborhood part. People are fine with going to Bears and Bulls games and they dont need a neighborhood, but the fact is that the Cubs are a lot closer to the center of their fan base than the White Sox are. The cubs are in better shape as a team and treat their fans about the same.

miker
01-08-2004, 04:11 PM
the area around the park needs to gentrify a LOT for it to become a draw to the casual baseball enthusiast.
Oh no, poor people...honey, put the kids back in the minivan and let's head back to Naperville!

nasox
01-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
The Cubs are Bears are tops in the hearts and minds of Chicago sports fans today. If Paxson can get the Bulls moving forward again, they'll be back in the mix. The Black Hawks and White Sox are doing their level best to self destruct. As a matter of fact, when I look at the Hawks, I'm fearful that the Sox are headed jin the same direction.

Unless Reinsy dies.

:reinsy
"Over my 10 mansions. MHUAHAHAHAHA"

npdempse
01-08-2004, 08:40 PM
The red blot (indicating the Chicago area's most affluent population base) is right in the middle of Bridgeport and about two blocks from the stadium. You may have noticed that the two-block radius around 35th and Shields has almost no residents, since it is comprised (by design) almost entirely of the Cell, Armour Square Park, and parking lots. The red blot has expanded significantly since the 1999 census and so has the smaller red blot on the other side of the Dan Ryan in Bronzeville. Most of the CHA highrises in Bronzeville (presumably containing its poorest residents) have been demolished since the 1999 census.

So there aren't four blocks of public housing immediately below the cell? Huh. And that wasteland that starts at the south end of the parking lots is comparable to all the businesses on either side of Wrigleyville?

If you're unaware of things to do before or after a Sox game, you might consider looking at the lengthy current thread with that title. As I expressed in that thread, the parkinglotification of the area immediately around the park was a very bad thing and should be redressed ASAP.

You're definitely right there--making everything parking lots was a bad idea, but regardless of whether you and I like to trek over to Puffers or Jimbo's, the fact remains that Wrigleyville has exponentially more nightlife than any strip around the Cell. People go to the South Side to watch the Sox play. Stopping at a bar is incidental. There are so many reasons for people (with money) already to be on the North Side, going to the park is incidental. Which is why we don't like going to the Urinal.

Oh no, poor people...honey, put the kids back in the minivan and let's head back to Naperville!

This is EXACTLY what you see families doing after the game.

steff
01-09-2004, 12:41 PM

Quote:

This is EXACTLY what you see families doing after the game.

Plainfield.. thank you very much. :D:

My only comment is this.. I don't give a ratts behind if there's a bar or resturant or what the hell ever OUTSIDE of the park. I don't care about a pretty view of the lake, or the fact that maybe someone is getting beat up down the street. Since when did what goes on OUTSIDE of the park have diddly squat to do with what happens between the lines?!?!? :angry:

Hangar18
01-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by steff

My only comment is this.. I don't give a ratts behind if there's a bar or resturant or what the hell ever OUTSIDE of the park. I don't care about a pretty view of the lake, or the fact that maybe someone is getting beat up down the street. Since when did what goes on OUTSIDE of the park have diddly squat to do with what happens between the lines?!?!? :angry:

Since the Media Deemed thats what it takes for a team to
be successful .........

Northside fan
01-09-2004, 12:51 PM

Well said. But Steff, as a Sox fan, wouldn't you like to go to a Sox sports bar after the game to celebrate a win?

steff
01-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Well said. But Steff, as a Sox fan, wouldn't you like to go to a Sox sports bar after the game to celebrate a win?

To be honest with you.. I don't care. They have the BPB and a safe parking lot. That's good enough for me.

Focus on the park and what the park has to offer.

npdempse
01-09-2004, 01:21 PM

This is a big part of the reason why I love Sox fans--cause that's what we're worried about. But what goes on outside the park has a lot to do with how many people go to the park, which feeds into payroll, which feeds back into what goes on between the lines.

Of course, when JR just loosens the purse strings and fields a blockbuster team, that will bring a bunch of people to the park as well.

maurice
01-09-2004, 01:56 PM
You may have noticed that the two-block radius around 35th and Shields has almost no residents, since it is comprised (by design) almost entirely of the Cell, Armour Square Park, and parking lots.

So there aren't four blocks of public housing immediately below the cell?

The public housing you're refering to is (just barely) more than two blocks from 35th and Shields. Gotcha on a technicality!

:)

But seriously . . . you're refering to a narrow, 1/4-mile-long island of relatively safe, low-rise public housing in a sea of vacant land. Your map contains many red areas with similar stretches of public housing. Its presence has no apparent effect on the value of a large stip of single family homes currently being built on a parallel tract of land approximately one block to the west.

You don't have to take my word for it. Just take a drive down Normal and Parnell between 33rd and Pershing (39th). If you'd like to see some houses STARTING at $800K, drive over to 33rd and Racine. Want to pay $350K for a 2BR loft condo in a renovated warehouse? Go to 35th and Morgan. That large lot on 35th and Halsted won't be vacant long. I haven't even mentioned the Bronzeville/IIT developments.

I understand that the extent and value of recent and proposed development is difficult for some to believe, but it's actually occurring nonetheless and shows no signs of stopping.

npdempse
01-09-2004, 02:06 PM
I understand that the extent and value of recent and proposed development is difficult for some to believe, but it's actually occurring nonetheless and shows no signs of stopping.

I think we're kind of talking past each other at this point. I have no dispute that there is a ton of expensive new housing stock going up around the park. I'm just saying that in terms of being a tourist mecca, compared to Wrigleyville and its adjacent neighborhoods, Bridgeport isn't there yet. I hope it is in five years time (well, as long as there aren't too many frat boy Wrigleyville types) and the Sox are able to capitalize on it like the Cubs have. Or just build a good team and folks will come regardless.

ihatethecubs
01-09-2004, 04:42 PM
that story is a joke. they also gave "report cards" and under "W-L" the cubs got an A and the sox got a C. They won 2 more games!!! and anyway the bears should be #1. they play 16 games and are talked about in the city every day of the year, and its the only thing they talk about on the score from august until january. almost everyone is a bears fan and its pretty divided on cubs and sox.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2004, 07:37 PM
The Cubs got an "A" because they actually won a post season series. The Sox got a C because they won 86 games but were sitting home (again) come October.

Lip

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 08:29 AM
I wouldve just given the SOX an "F"

hsnterprize
01-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Well said. But Steff, as a Sox fan, wouldn't you like to go to a Sox sports bar after the game to celebrate a win? I can see where you're coming from, but there's something you've gotta understand. First of all, Sox fans for the most part are more concerned with what happens INSIDE the ballpark rather than OUTSIDE. Now, I can side with you that some fans do like to go to a Sox-themed bar to celebrate a win or drink away the pain of a loss. And believe it or not, in spite of the perception of "nothing around the ballpark" that's commonly paraded around, there are actually quite a few places in the surrounding neighborhoods where people can eat, drink, and socialize. It's just that those places aren't within a "drunk, stumbling man's" distance away from the stadium.

With all due respect to the Wrigleyville area, don't you think it's kinda strange to some extent that some, and I stress, SOME folks seem to be more concerned about what happens outside a ballpark rather than inside? And I'm not asking that to be ignorant or rude...I've been to Wrigley and seen the atmosphere around the place personally. I've also seen thousands of tailgaters around the Cell wearing silver and black creating a Sox-related atmosphere that's just as big. I've seen Sox fans coming from local bars, hot dog places, and Grandstand all psyched up for the game. However, since the Cell is set up the way it is, it's easy for people on this side of the argument to conclude the place will never get it's just credit. What say you?

Northside fan
01-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I can see where you're coming from, but there's something you've gotta understand. First of all, Sox fans for the most part are more concerned with what happens INSIDE the ballpark rather than OUTSIDE. Now, I can side with you that some fans do like to go to a Sox-themed bar to celebrate a win or drink away the pain of a loss. And believe it or not, in spite of the perception of "nothing around the ballpark" that's commonly paraded around, there are actually quite a few places in the surrounding neighborhoods where people can eat, drink, and socialize. It's just that those places aren't within a "drunk, stumbling man's" distance away from the stadium.

With all due respect to the Wrigleyville area, don't you think it's kinda strange to some extent that some, and I stress, SOME folks seem to be more concerned about what happens outside a ballpark rather than inside? And I'm not asking that to be ignorant or rude...I've been to Wrigley and seen the atmosphere around the place personally. I've also seen thousands of tailgaters around the Cell wearing silver and black creating a Sox-related atmosphere that's just as big. I've seen Sox fans coming from local bars, hot dog places, and Grandstand all psyched up for the game. However, since the Cell is set up the way it is, it's easy for people on this side of the argument to conclude the place will never get it's just credit. What say you?

I have said in the past that for the three games a year that I do to go to the cell, I have a good time. Naturally, it's more important what goes on INSIDE THE PARK. However, after what goes on inside the park is over, it is nice to go celebrate a win with some loud music and a few cold ones. The people who go to the bars just to party are not even fans of the Cubs, they are just fans of the area, so I don't pay attenion to them.

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 10:53 AM
... However, after what goes on inside the park is over, it is nice to go celebrate a win with some loud music and a few cold ones. The people who go to the bars just to party are not even fans of the Cubs, they are just fans of the area, so I don't pay attenion to them.

Id like to believe you NSFan....and maybe I do.....
but how do you Ignore a bar crammed full of ambercrombie & fitch wearing, bud drinking, floppyhat crowd of 400 ? the Media is certainly paying attention. Maybe you should be just as mad at the Media Portrayals as I am. Then id be impressed.
that said, I too would love to have a place "stumbling" distance
from the stadium to commisserate in ........

Northside fan
01-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Id like to believe you NSFan....and maybe I do.....
but how do you Ignore a bar crammed full of ambercrombie & fitch wearing, bud drinking, floppyhat crowd of 400 ? the Media is certainly paying attention. Maybe you should be just as mad at the Media Portrayals as I am. Then id be impressed.
that said, I too would love to have a place "stumbling" distance
from the stadium to commisserate in ........

Hangar, The Cubs fans I go to games with are there for the games and are all season ticket holders. We just get a table, listen to the music and order a pitcher of MGD. So many of the people at the bars are just area residents having a good time. They really could care less about the game and some are out of towners. The fans I go with talk about the Cubs, as it should be. Believe it or not, there are MANY Cubs fans that do go to the bars and actually do know what happened at the game.

Hangar18
01-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Hangar, The Cubs fans I go to games with are there for the games and are all season ticket holders. We just get a table, listen to the music and order a pitcher of MGD. So many of the people at the bars are just area residents having a good time. They really could care less about the game and some are out of towners. The fans I go with talk about the Cubs, as it should be. Believe it or not, there are MANY Cubs fans that do go to the bars and actually do know what happened at the game.

Can you see at least why we dislike you guys (well not you in particular/or your sea. tick friends) When the Media Celebrates a FanBase for their stupity, at the expense of guys like me, and over the course of 20 years, one tends to get very "salty".
if thts what you guys do, excellent. its what should be done....
But when an NBC crew stands in front of HiTops, under the guise of exhibiting a Cubs fans "knowledge" of the game versus "neuvo" Marlin Fans, and 8 people in a row cant guess
the picture of Ernie Banks and WooWoo, I think it makes me glad im not a cub fan heh heh. Do you remember seeing that on The nbc newscast after the series came back here w the marlins?

jabrch
01-10-2004, 11:16 AM
But when an NBC crew stands in front of HiTops, under the guise of exhibiting a Cubs fans "knowledge" of the game versus "neuvo" Marlin Fans, and 8 people in a row cant guess
the picture of Ernie Banks and WooWoo, I think it makes me glad im not a cub fan heh heh. Do you remember seeing that on The nbc newscast after the series came back here w the marlins?

I was laughing so hard I almost pissed myself. On any given day at Wrigley, at least 2/3 of the crowd can't tell you who is their 5 man rotation, can't name their starting 8, and can't tell you anything about the Pre-SamMe days.

Northside fan
01-10-2004, 11:29 AM

the picture of Ernie Banks and WooWoo

Hangar, I did not see that because we were on our way to the Miami airport after game 4 of the NLCS. Like I said, the dummies that were on camera were not Cubs fans, they were just there for the party and decided to get some face time.