PDA

View Full Version : Politte's ok, but Urbina would be better

MRKARNO
01-07-2004, 08:13 PM
I have heard absolutely no rumors about Ugeth Urbina. He's been very good over the course of his career and would be a great addition for the sox if we could get him at a lowish price, because it's getting pretty darn late in the offseason and he will get desperate.

roofshot87
01-07-2004, 08:28 PM
The Pirates have been mentioned as possible suitors for Ugueth's services.

Chisox_cali
01-07-2004, 08:31 PM
When Urbina's reps told the Mets it would take one year at $5 million or two years at $9 million to sign the righty, the Mets' interest dimmed. They were frightened off for good when they learned Urbina was threatening to stay home in Venezuela if he did not get what he wanted.

From the NY Post (http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/15054.htm)

Jjav829
01-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Urbina wouldn't have been a bad addition to the pen. He is going to end up signing with the Twins. I just hope he doesn't dominate us too much.

depy48
01-08-2004, 12:03 AM
the last thing the sox need is another potential closer. i dont like the idea of the sox fans thinking "we should have urbina closing" koch might be the billy koch we wanted to sign, and if not there's marte. have some faith in koch, closer by committee never works

kempsted
01-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by depy48
the last thing the sox need is another potential closer. i dont like the idea of the sox fans thinking "we should have urbina closing" koch might be the billy koch we wanted to sign, and if not there's marte. have some faith in koch, closer by committee never works
Hmmm closer by committe never works? And you know this how? Because that is what people say? I think it usually works better. There is just no one with those all star save numbers so people say gee it isn't working or you have closer by committe because you have no one who can close.

Actually the Sox were far better off with there Gordon - Marte closer situation then they would have been with a single closer. What happens if you have 3 or 4 close games in a row?

Sorry - I just find that most of these baseball truisms are false.

Palehose13
01-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Urbina wouldn't have been a bad addition to the pen. He is going to end up signing with the Twins. I just hope he doesn't dominate us too much.
Is this speculation or fact?

cbrownson13
01-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
Hmmm closer by committe never works? And you know this how? Because that is what people say?

It kept Boston out of the World Series.

anewman35
01-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by cbrownson13

No, bad pitching did. A committee of, say, Foulke, Gange, Guardado, Rivera, and Wagner? Trust me, I think they'd save a few games...

jabrch
01-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Politte came cheap (800,000 and a 1.2 club option for next year). Urbina was looking for 3-4mm last I heard.

:reinsy
"Cheap? Bring it on!"

JasonC23
01-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by cbrownson13

A-HA! That's what it was! And here I've been thinking it was Grady Little making a horrible decision at the worst possible time. Thanks for setting me straight!

(Wait, what's the color for sarcasm?) :cool:

lowesox
01-08-2004, 12:35 PM
If the twins sign urbina we're extra screwed.

TaylorStSox
01-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Yes! An overated psuedo closer will make the difference in this division. :whiner:

JasonC23
01-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Yes! An overated psuedo closer will make the difference in this division. :whiner:

Hey, I think Koch did make the difference in the division last year...just not in the way Kenny was hoping. :(: