PDA

View Full Version : Outfield

lowesox
01-07-2004, 07:30 PM
The way it stands right now, the Sox have Lee in Left, Rowand in Center and Ordonez in right. Then, there's also Harris at 2b who could play the field too.

Provided they don't sign another fielder this could mean one of two things.

1) Borchard would make the roster as well - which I think would mean that he and Rowand would platoon in CF.

2) The Sox would consider Harris their extra outfielder and could then use an extra bullpen arm - which would give us an extra chance at being surprised by a minor league reliever.

Anyway, just something to think about.

joecrede
01-07-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
The way it stands right now, the Sox have Lee in Left, Rowand in Center and Ordonez in right. Then, there's also Harris at 2b who could play the field too.

Provided they don't sign another fielder this could mean one of two things.

1) Borchard would make the roster as well - which I think would mean that he and Rowand would platoon in CF.

2) The Sox would consider Harris their extra outfielder and could then use an extra bullpen arm - which would give us an extra chance at being surprised by a minor league reliever.

Anyway, just something to think about.

I really hope/think that Rowand being the starting CF'er is a worst case scenario for Williams. I think they'll give every opportunity for Borchard and Reed to win that job before the grudgingly hand it to Rowand.

soxfan26
01-07-2004, 07:43 PM
This is definitely not the OF situation many of us were hoping for.
That sounds about right, and if I had to decide between Borchard and Reed as the 4th outfielder, I would choose Borchard simply because Reed needs the AB's and seasoning at AAA more than Borchard.

As of today the pen looks like this...

Wright/Santiago R
Wunsch L
Politte R
Marte L
Koch R

It will be interesting to see first how Ozzie manages the bullpen (gulp), and if there would be enough innings to give a 6th reliever enough work. The way the rotation is shaping up there should definitely be enough!

HITMEN OF 77
01-07-2004, 08:45 PM
IMO, we shoud chuck Rowand, I don't think he will ever do much. I just don't think he adds anything to this club. I would much rather see Harris out in CF and Uribe at 2nd.

jeremyb1
01-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26
This is definitely not the OF situation many of us were hoping for.
That sounds about right, and if I had to decide between Borchard and Reed as the 4th outfielder, I would choose Borchard simply because Reed needs the AB's and seasoning at AAA more than Borchard.

As of today the pen looks like this...

Wright/Santiago R
Wunsch L
Politte R
Marte L
Koch R

It will be interesting to see first how Ozzie manages the bullpen (gulp), and if there would be enough innings to give a 6th reliever enough work. The way the rotation is shaping up there should definitely be enough!

I'd look for Ginter, Sanders, Munoz, and possibly Majewski to get a look as well.

A. Cavatica
01-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by HITMEN OF 77
IMO, we shoud chuck Rowand, I don't think he will ever do much. I just don't think he adds anything to this club.

I disagree, and I don't understand all the Rowand-bashing on this site. Rowand would be an excellent fourth outfielder and he's serviceable in center. He was a better player (offense and defense) than Carl Everett, and nobody seems to realize it.

HITMEN OF 77
01-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
I disagree, and I don't understand all the Rowand-bashing on this site. Rowand would be an excellent fourth outfielder and he's serviceable in center. He was a better player (offense and defense) than Carl Everett, and nobody seems to realize it.

I would much rather have Everett than Rowand anyday!!

soxfan26
01-07-2004, 10:37 PM

I think if the Sox were planning on using Rowand as a 4th outfielder, you would not hear people bashing him as much. I do agree that he has some value.

I'd be interested in knowing when Rowand was a better player than Everett.

HITMEN OF 77
01-07-2004, 10:39 PM
I think if the Sox were planning on using Rowand as a 4th outfielder, you would not hear people bashing him as much. I do agree that he has some value.

Were thinking a lot alike on this one! :smile:

A. Cavatica
01-07-2004, 10:53 PM

Second half of last season, and going forward. (Rowand is 6 years younger, after all.)

Everett OBP SLG OPS

June .273 .389 .662
July .330 .337 .667
August .436 .606 1.042
September .353 .456 .809

Rowand

June .429 .719 1.148
July .438 .633 1.071
August .222 .389 .611
September .500 .706 1.206

Everett took away at-bats that Rowand deserved, and Rowand was far better in the outfield.

HITMEN OF 77
01-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Everett had a lot more at bats so naturally his numbers will be less than Rowand. If Rowand had as many at bats as Everett the numbers wouldn't even be close.

soxfan26
01-07-2004, 11:21 PM

He was a better player (offense and defense) than Carl Everett, and nobody seems to realize it.

If nobody seems to realize it, then help us out, show us the error of our ways and what makes Rowand so much better.

Second half of last season, and going forward.

In the 2nd half Rowand only had 46 at bats compared to Everett's 219. Based on that single fact I don't think you can say Rowand's .370 average or 3 HR's made him better than Everett.

Everett is a switch hitter, has been in the league for 7 years, and posted good numbers during his time with the Sox, he hit well with runners on, and made only 2 errors in CF.

Stats aside if you want to make the argument that Rowand will be better than Everett, you have your work cut out for you. Trying to say that he is better than Everett is laughable.

soxfan26
01-07-2004, 11:26 PM

Everett took away at-bats that Rowand deserved, and Rowand was far better in the outfield.

You edited your post, so ignore my first comments about showing us how Rowand is better.

Maybe it was Rowand's numbers in the first half that lost him those at bats he so "deserved"

"Far better" in CF is 2 less errors in 32 less chances?

A. Cavatica
01-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Stats aside if you want to make the argument that Rowand will be better than Everett, you have your work cut out for you. Trying to say that he is better than Everett is laughable.

Laugh if you will, but he did outplay Everett when he was out there!

Rowand outperformed Everett in 2001, with an .816 OPS to Carl's .761. Lest we forget, Aaron was the spark behind that team's second-half surge.

Aaron did have a sophomore slump in 2002, with a .692 OPS in 302 ABs. I happen to think he's way better than that. The record shows that Everett put up a .633 OPS at the same age (192 ABs in 1996) and followed it up with a .728 (443 ABs) in 1997. So Rowand is ahead of Everett's development.

Rowand had just gotten healthy, and was on a tear when we acquired Everett. There's no doubt in my mind that he would've outhit Everett if he'd been the regular for the rest of the season. As it is, even though he was used sporadically, he managed to stay sharp.

As for Everett, he's lost his speed and can't play center. He's also a ticking time bomb of a human being who makes everyone around him nervous.

Even if the salaries were equal, Rowand is the better investment.

A. Cavatica
01-07-2004, 11:58 PM
You edited your post, so ignore my first comments about showing us how Rowand is better.

Maybe it was Rowand's numbers in the first half that lost him those at bats he so "deserved"

"Far better" in CF is 2 less errors in 32 less chances?

With much better range. And if you watched them play the outfield, you noticed the difference.

HITMEN OF 77
01-08-2004, 03:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by A. Cavatica
[B]

Rowand had just gotten healthy, and was on a tear when we acquired Everett.

Then why did we aquire Everett to play CF if Rowand was on a tear?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by A. Cavatica
[B]

I just don't see any comparison here, Everett is a better player hands down. If Rowand must play, I do hope he suceeds like you say he's capable of.

soxfan26
01-08-2004, 07:26 AM

Laugh if you will, but he did outplay Everett when he was out there!

Aaron was the spark behind that team's [the 2001 Sox] second-half surge.

Rowand is ahead of Everett's development.

Rowand had just gotten healthy, and was on a tear when we acquired Everett. There's no doubt in my mind that he would've outhit Everett if he'd been the regular for the rest of the season. As it is, even though he was used sporadically, he managed to stay sharp.

[Rowand Has] much better range. And if you watched them play the outfield, you noticed the difference.

So your convinced that Rowand is primed to do big things, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.

I'm not bashing him, I just don't see how he outplayed Everett last season, and I will be surprised if he outplays Borchard and/or Reed in ST for the job.

The stats for Rowand don't project out to a full season. Best case scenario he could hit around .270/.340/.460 - AVG/OBP/SLG.

The only reason he plays CF is because of Maggs and C Lee. He was a corner outfielder in the minors, and it shows.

He is welcome to prove me wrong, along with PK, Wee Willie and Koch.