PDA

View Full Version : Juan Uribe Story Posted on MLB.Com

TheRockinMT
01-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Ozzie trying to make the best of a bad situation?

01/07/2004 12:33 PM ET
Uribe to get second chance
Middle infielder spends winter in Dominican Republic
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

New acquisition Juan Uribe has a career .258 average in 314 Major League games. (David Zalubowski/AP)

CHICAGO -- The move by the White Sox to acquire Juan Uribe from Colorado didn’t exactly make front-page news nationally when it happened on Dec. 2.
In fact, some White Sox enthusiasts were looking forward to Aaron Miles, the infielder traded from Chicago to Colorado, getting a chance to move his solid offensive numbers over the past two years from the minor leagues to the South Side. But the Uribe transaction not only serves as the main offseason move to date for the White Sox but also could provide an important and versatile addition to their infield in 2004.

Uribe, who will turn 25 on July 22, will back up Jose Valentin at shortstop and could challenge Willie Harris for the starting job at second base with a solid Spring Training.

“This is not a guy who hasn’t done it before,” said White Sox general manager Kenny Williams. “This situation will be a settling one for him. It should be settling in some ways but demanding in others.”

During three seasons in Colorado, Uribe hit .258 with 24 home runs and 135 RBIs. His best season came in 2001, when Uribe hit .300 with eight home runs and 53 RBIs.

One of the knocks against Uribe is his strikeout-to-walk ratio, with 235 strikeouts in 1,155 at-bats, while walking 59 times. That trend has continued on a smaller scale during Winter League action in the Dominican Republic, where Uribe joined future teammate Jamie Burke and former White Sox catcher Josh Paul, as well as Rafael Furcal, David Ortiz and Neifi Perez, on Leones del Escogido.

Uribe struck out 15 times in 69 at-bats for Leones, drawing five walks. But Uribe hit a solid .275 during 21 games. The talented shortstop did not hit a home run, a step away from the power swing adapted at Coors Field that might have caused him trouble.

“I think his problem was that he was playing in the wrong ballpark,” said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of Uribe. “With the way the ball carries in Colorado, you try to become a home run hitter.

“Juan is not a home run hitter. He has great hands, some of the best defensively in the National League. Hopefully, he will really help us.”

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.

lowesox
01-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Since he has good hands and bats about 100 points higher than Harris, maybe we should consider him at Short and move Valentin to second.

We're going to be horrible next year anyways. Why not experiment?

Foulke You
01-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Since he has good hands and bats about 100 points higher than Harris, maybe we should consider him at Short and move Valentin to second.

Why not leave Valentin at short and put Uribe at 2B? Of course, I think it is unlikely Uribe gets a starting job. I think the 2B job is Willie's to lose. He would have to have a dreadful Spring Training to not be in the opening day lineup. I think it is more likely that Uribe is your new Tony Graffanino.

KingXerxes
01-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Beware of offensive numbers generated in Colorado.

lowesox
01-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Why not leave Valentin at short and put Uribe at 2B?

I think Uribe would be a defensive upgrade.

Originally posted by Foulke You
I think the 2B job is Willie's to lose.

I agree with you here. But to me, that's sad. The only reason why the sox are so high on Willie Harris is because Williams is trying to save face for trading away Singleton (who we could use right now). He's done absolutely nothing to earn the position he's in.

Tekijawa
01-07-2004, 03:17 PM

Valentin at second would be a NIGHMARE... he is horrible going to his right, that's why his errors are down because Crede covered him so many times going that way...

Iwritecode
01-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Mods must be sleeping, the entire article has been posted for over 20 minutes.

That's copyright infringement man...

anewman35
01-07-2004, 03:29 PM

The only reason why the sox are so high on Willie Harris is because Williams is trying to save face for trading away Singleton (who we could use right now). He's done absolutely nothing to earn the position he's in.

Chris Singleton is a free agent. If the Sox wanted him back, they quite likely could have him...

Foulke You
01-07-2004, 03:38 PM
I think Uribe would be a defensive upgrade.

I agree with you here. But to me, that's sad. The only reason why the sox are so high on Willie Harris is because Williams is trying to save face for trading away Singleton (who we could use right now). He's done absolutely nothing to earn the position he's in.

Willie is going to get the job because of the reasons you stated and also because he is the type of player that Ozzie Guillen would like to mold. He is fast, hustles, is young, is coachable, has a decent glove, and is an improving bunter but will probably only be a "punch and judy" hitter for most of his career. I think he gets the job based on his upside, not based on anything he has done. (Sigh) Such is life in the world of the $58 million payroll.

34 Inch Stick
01-07-2004, 04:29 PM
To be fair Willie has hit a ton in the minors. He has warranted some kind of shot in the majors. The problem is he has done absolutely nothing when here. He suspicously looks like a AAAA player.

It's really the speed that gets you. He has the kind of speed that is noticeably faster than the rest of the players. If he could just hit .280 and play average defense he would be acceptable. I don't see it happening.

Willie has always worked hard. I would love to see him succeed. However, I think he will start off slow and just be a drain on this offense the whole year.

TheRockinMT
01-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Mods must be sleeping, the entire article has been posted for over 20 minutes.

That's copyright infringement man...

PUHH-LLEEASSE! Thank you Mr. Perry Mason...

Credit is given to the writer and there was no financial benefit obtained.

Hangar18
01-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Valentin at second would be a NIGHMARE... he is horrible going to his right, that's why his errors are down because Crede covered him so many times going that way...

All these moves were Making in trying to Find a Decent
2B, ever since we Deemed Ray Durham Too Expensive ......
Who wouldve thought Losing Durham was like Losing 3 players....
one of the dumbest moves STILL ........this teams made

TheRockinMT
01-07-2004, 04:44 PM
I always liked Ray Durham also. He was the leadoff batter we needed and played a good 2B. I see the same thing happening at positions in the OF, SS and 1B if we start dumping salary.

Hangar18
01-07-2004, 04:53 PM
When I say we Lost 3 Players in Durham, we Lost
a Top of the order Batter, A guy that could hit for average,
and Had Speed to Burn, not to mention hurt you with the
occasional homer. I remember that crosstown game a
few years ago at Wrigley. He gets on base, with the
hit and run on, scores on a double ................daring baserunning
and scored for us to take an early 1-0 lead against the flubbies.
His style totally said "south side" baseball, I still miss him .......
What a Stupid Move that was to lose him.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Rockin:

It doesn't matter that the author's name was given. Those sites want fans to read them that's why Daver continually reminds people to post a link and not the entire story.

Yes it could cause serious problems for WSI including being shut down. That's why he tries to be vigilant. It is a big deal.

Lip

hftrex
01-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Hangar: Too stuck on the players of the past to appreciate the players of the present.